One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Qn to Snipers--Calculating Wind Deflection?

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  wavehawk 
#1 ·
Okay, kick me if this is a stupid question, but I'll be honest--I've never talked to a pro sniper or sharpshooter.

So how does one calculate Wind Deflection, range variance, gravitational pull on a certain ammo round, etc.? I mean, I know you can do it with the right equipment, but I doubt real-life snipers (such as those in the USMC Scout-Snipers) carry a notebook PC or Palm along on their missions--is it even possible to do it mentally and quickly enough to get a shot in?

The only constant factor,I think ,is that a sniper knows his rifle and what kind of bullets he has, so he's familiar with maximum range, weight of bullet, accuracy of the rifle (in minutes fo angle) and the like, but all the others--those are out of the sniper's hands, ow does he figure for them?

#3 ·
Here's a link to FM 23-10 SNIPER TRAINING.
Chapter3, Sec.III covers weather effects, and specifically, wind.

It's a 1994 version, unfortunately FM 3-05.222 SPECIAL FORCES SNIPER TRAINING AND EMPLOYMENT, 25 APR 2003 , SS TC 31-32 is locked down.

While rangefinders are available, wind indicators aren't usually small field instruments. Snipers learn to estimate windage, and it's a "perishable skill", like range estimation or land navigation, needing to be practiced regularly.
One old traditional item for indicating wind direction is a strip of cloth ( a feather on some American Indian rifles), out on the barrel. Some stealth afficianados forgo such things, because even that motion might give away their position.

#4 ·
I simply lick my finger and hold it up to the wind. I can then tell from the rate of evaporation of the spit, the wind direction and speed... ;)

#6 ·
Here is a SWAG (scientific wild a-- guess) based on lots of shooting though I have never been a sniper. Use the same ammo as much as possible, from the same production batch if possible, this takes out some of the variables.
Most modern scopes have calibrated scales for range estimation and several points of reference on the reticle to compensate for bullet drop. If you are using a cartridge that you are familiar with you will know which point or between which points to center the target on when you shoot.
It doesn't matter how much the bullet will drop or gravity effects as long as you know which part of the reticle to place over the target. IE. if you have a Mil-dot scope place a target at 500 meters and shoot at it adjust your scope until it is zeroed at 500 meters. put a target at 600 meters put the first dot down from center onto the target see where it hits if it is between dots remember that. figure out where your rifle hits at 100 meter incriments or 50 meter incriments if you prefer, 25 if your a fanatic 5 if you are an absolute nut. Write it down, review your notes before a mission not during it.
Get really cool binoculars like my East German Zeiss surplus ones if you have calibrated scale and you see an object of known size you can estimate range but it takes practice.
The biggest factor that can mess you up is windage, watch bushes, trees, tall grass, discarded paper or plastic bags to get an idea what the wind is doing, often the wind is not constant and the best thing to do is just wait a few minutes for the wind to momentarily stop or slow down. otherwise practice shooting on windy days figure out how much your point of impact varies as compared to how far the trees or grasses bend.
I am kind of old fashoned so I think that money spent on ammo to shoot is better than money spent on fancy do-dads.
Some of the Wild West guys like Buffalo Bill could accomplish amazing feats of shooting with barbaric technology because they were familiar with their guns.
Wild Bill Hickock who was the most skilled gunfighter IMHO used to fire off both his pistols until empty then reload them before entering any town, regardless if he expected to be in a gunfight or not.

#7 ·
Another thing, wavehawk, regarding notebooks, i.e., the paper version, I've read numerous times of snipers carrying them, with notes on shots and ammo performance. I don't know if it's SOP, but it is practised by some.

#9 ·
A matter of perspective

Well, that's another way, precise in an imprecise kind of way.

Unless, I suppose, you look upon a large area as the expanded version of an x-ring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.