Grenade! (experiment in posing) [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Grenade! (experiment in posing)

pete13678
03-06-2004, 15:13
Just playing around with some poses, trying to achieve a dynamic look, as opposed to stationary.
used some discreetly placed wires to hold the ammo/map bags in the air, as it were.
What do you guys think?

I was gonna try an have the helmet 'falling' off his head (on the end of a piece of wire tucking down his neck), but the damn thing (BBI) is too heavy.

Nighthawk264
03-06-2004, 15:14
Kooooool!!

GrenadierStinny
03-06-2004, 15:17
Awesome! That looks really cool!

crisibabe
03-06-2004, 15:19
wow I like the bags hanging about horizontally. great figure. :thumb

:smoking

Venom II
03-06-2004, 15:24
I like the concept, excellent performed!!!.
Good job.

VII

Crazy Chocobo
03-06-2004, 15:41
Very very cool! Sweet pose.

DoubleTap
03-06-2004, 15:48
Outstanding pose. That is the way I am with my figures to. If they are gonna sit on my shelf they need to be doing something. Reading a map, adjusting gear.....throwing a nade! lol Excellect use of wires. The helmet idea was a good one too, perhaps use a lighter helmet? Let us know if you get that helmet to stay. ;)

G K Zhukov
03-06-2004, 16:54
Truly improved over the static figure! :thumb

Try a clear plastic piece for holding the "flying helmet" in place. That might do the trick.

wormie
03-06-2004, 17:08
Nice! Gave me an idea for my OIF rifleman when I finally finish! :)

One Bravo Four
03-06-2004, 18:28
Unbelievable.

Great job.

Liquid Fox
03-06-2004, 19:52
that a awesome pose...

Slapshot75
03-06-2004, 22:33
cool!

laughinggravy2
03-06-2004, 23:09
That certainly IS truly dynamic and a wonderful piece of work.

May I offer an observation? And I'm the last guy to ever correct someone etc., but this is more a sharing of an idea than a reproach.

I see you reside in the UK. By that, I assume that you are far better with your feet, than with your hands because of the common sports in your country. Here in the US, our sports revolve around the skill of throwing rather than kicking. As such, every little boy learns very quickly how to throw a ball with out looking "like a girl". It is an acquired skill.
In your pose, at the point of "drawing back", the lead foot should be up (if any foot is raised at all), while the rear is planted(right hand throw= left foot forward). This would be for a "hard throw". For the lobbing of a grenade, as was taught in WWII era, he would be more arching his back and somewhat flinging the grenade at arm's length and sidearm almost, with feet planted.

Please don't take this as criticism. I really love your pose and the overall look. It is exceptionally well executed. You've done a marvelous job. :thumb :thumb

DoubleTap
03-07-2004, 00:05
I took it as he was throwing on the run but I could be wrong.

USMCRon
03-07-2004, 01:07
Nice pose, but what I really see is the outstanding job you did on weathering. I can almost smell the grunge.

pukingdog
03-07-2004, 01:12
damn grenade-throwing technique nazis!!!

Really nice fig and pose, pete!

pete13678
03-07-2004, 05:17
Originally posted by DoubleTap
I took it as he was throwing on the run but I could be wrong.
exactly that

riesgoyfortuna
03-07-2004, 06:01
Originally posted by laughinggravy2
That certainly IS truly dynamic and a wonderful piece of work.

May I offer an observation? And I'm the last guy to ever correct someone etc., but this is more a sharing of an idea than a reproach.

I see you reside in the UK. By that, I assume that you are far better with your feet, than with your hands because of the common sports in your country. Here in the US, our sports revolve around the skill of throwing rather than kicking. As such, every little boy learns very quickly how to throw a ball with out looking "like a girl". It is an acquired skill.
In your pose, at the point of "drawing back", the lead foot should be up (if any foot is raised at all), while the rear is planted(right hand throw= left foot forward). This would be for a "hard throw". For the lobbing of a grenade, as was taught in WWII era, he would be more arching his back and somewhat flinging the grenade at arm's length and sidearm almost, with feet planted.

Please don't take this as criticism. I really love your pose and the overall look. It is exceptionally well executed. You've done a marvelous job. :thumb :thumb

i was thinking the same

the figure is top noch ,awesome.but as animator i get use to the motions of the human body,one of the most important things on the art of giving movement sensation are the legs positions

also im working in giving movement to my figures too

http://www.arrakis.es/~bluex/ventasfebrero/soldadoguam1.jpg

http://www.arrakis.es/~bluex/ventasfebrero/marine1.JPG

pete13678
03-07-2004, 06:19
I've now added the helmet, so it does give the impression of a little more forward movement...

Imagine him running forward to throw the grenade...his right leg will swing forward just before/same time his right arm moves forward to release the ball. Sorry grenade!

Damn the accuracy nazi's :p

Sir Eaton Flipflop
03-07-2004, 06:20
Man that looks great! Way to go pete ( surprised that DML and BBI don't do more of this themselves - really adds to the figure )

laughinggravy2
03-07-2004, 12:22
You're absolutely right. I didn't want to start anything. Forget I mentioned a word. Great work, and keep it up. :thumb

SyxxSix6
03-07-2004, 12:35
very cool idea man, great pix!

GoKings57
03-07-2004, 12:56
Great work, and I really need to learn how to weather like that. :thumb

Secret Agent
03-08-2004, 06:55
WowWowWow. That looks so coool !!!!

Micar777
03-09-2004, 11:11
Awesome figure, weathering and details are superb. The use of wires to add "movement" to the figure definitely does make the figure much more dynamic as someone mentioned.

I don't think we should jump on someone for constrcutive criticism, it is the best way to improve. I've posted a figure where people have complimented on it, but I learnt more from the poster that suggested making the way the figure had its arms positioned more natural looking. That improved the look of the figure no end.

Figure reminds me of the incident in Band of Brothers where the guy throws a grenade into a room then runs in and gets caught by the detonation of his grenade.

Sixth Scale
03-09-2004, 15:47
Very kewel posing idea!! I love the bags "moving" in the air, nice touch!!

btw, lg2, "throwing like a girl"... :D :D

-Rex

legion etrangere
03-09-2004, 18:17
What do you guys think? (experimenting in posing)

Great idea! :thumb
When you pull the pin on a grenade using both hands as a soldier is trained and have a few seconds to throw it then picking up and carrying the very heavy thompson with one hand simultaneously along is an inefficent method.

Unless he used his teeth to pull the pin just like in the movies. :)

It looks great as an action pose with him holding the the Tommy gun.

Philip

fury from the sky
03-09-2004, 21:22
I have thrown a grenade in combat, a real live one that goes
"Boom" and I just thought I'd help with a picture on how its REALLY done

http://a1.cpimg.com/image/4F/6D/30707791-a66f-0200017B-.jpg

Sniper
03-09-2004, 21:36
Great visual, falling from the sky!!!! I think it explains very well on how to throw a grenade properly at your enemy!! LMAO

jackhammer220
03-09-2004, 23:45
Hahahahaha you guys are too crazy.Btw,excellent figure and posing and weathering on that bash of yours.

uancanario
03-10-2004, 02:56
Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Devilguns
03-10-2004, 11:20
I think the pose is really good and the helmet coming off adds to the impact of the situation. Nice photography too.

Kuroi
03-10-2004, 11:28
Great work Pete!
Next time, get him to lob one in the direction of the accuracy Nazis!

"I am zorry, but zis is my reasons as to vy your figure posing is incorrect!"

pete13678
03-10-2004, 12:46
Hey, lets all chill. Yeah, OK maybe some of my replies implied that I was pissed at other peoples comments, but that's really blown out of proportion. In fact it was probably this one comment
"Uh huh...fair points, but the idea was that he was running toward the enemy position, a bunker/trench/whatever. He ain't gonna stop suddenly, and get into his baseball position."
because there aint any other comments from me.

SO the issue about the grenade throwing technique is VALID, but, guys we're talking about 1/6th figures here. Really, the the point of the thread was to show the 'bags in the air' and that was just a bit overlooked.
D'OH.

So if anyone thinks I'm pissed at them, then don't. Just a bit of a mis-understanding.

Peace man!:banana

Edit -
Oh and LG, I hope you read this and forget any bad vibes that you may have though directed at you. None were intended at all.

DoubleTap
03-10-2004, 13:14
In another post someone put a link to their website and I checked it out. Here is a snippit from the site. Perhaps some people hear should read it, people from both sides of the fence.

1/6th figure collecting is primarily an adult hobby. Heck, it says so on the box of the figures you buy. And because it is an adult hobby, you enjoy some facets of real 1:1 life in the hobby as well. You meet some wonderful friends, talented people who love to share their passion for the hobby. You will also meet a lot of people who are rude, crude, won't share, won't care and are in it for different reasons, so don't take anything personal. I've received praises for my work on a few figures and I've also received foul-language emails because I'm "not true to the film" or "that is not real enough." What should I do about that? Get mad, sell off my collection and stop what I'm doing because some guy sent me an email about how he doesn't like MY figures? I'm not that narrow minded and I don't care about things like that. But as I've mentioned, I've seen friends and fellow collectors who wind up stopping their love for their hobby for just these simple reasons. Don't be the next victim of your own emotions.

The rest of the site can be found HERE. (http://www.dawgestyle.com/about.htm) andrewlienkailin has lot going on in his head and is right about most of it.

Now let's all just get along. Take a deep breathe, think about what your about to post before you hit that "Submit" button. LG2 I hope to see you post more than a simple "nice bash". You are an artist and your opinion means alot to me. See you around.

Sniper Patrol
03-10-2004, 16:45
What you guys think of this one??
http://merit-intl.com/month/2-19-04/guess/background4.jpg :smoking

DunkleGelb
03-10-2004, 20:54
That fally looks like he wants to FRAG a bird! :lol

pukingdog
03-11-2004, 12:24
I've removed the majority of the combative replies, and some of those which reportedly upset people. I've also left in some of the "critical" replies and FFS's hi-tech illustration, which is funny.
And with that, I am locking down this thread. It will go into archive eventually, by force of pete's skill, and nothing more.

USMCCHET92_96
03-11-2004, 13:15
Why is pete13678's thread being hijacked
People you just need to grow the "F" up and get some thick skin.
You want to argue go to the abyss
need directions just ask