How to Apply Braided Hair or Dreadlocks? [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : How to Apply Braided Hair or Dreadlocks?

Knightwalker
11-25-2009, 16:07
I've seen some great instructions on hair application posted here so I figured I'd toss a query out for some of you talented customizers.

I'm interested in using a real type hair application to create a dreadlock or braided hair look or one of each really. Examples would be "Ronen" from "Stargate Atlantis" or "Tyr Anasazi" from Andromeda or "Laurent" from Twilight or just about any of the main characters from the film "10,000 BC". I'm planning on doing a male human Predator in the vein of Hot Toys' "Marchinko She-Predator" and dreadlocks are a must. Will do some practice runs first but...

If you have any ideas or suggestions or even examples with pics of your work, please do share. Thanks in advance!

saiko
02-20-2010, 03:31
Yarn might work, but its a little unkempt/frizzy. Tightly braided, fine fabric may work better too. A bunch of Hong Kong art figures used such application for braids.

Sam Lee in SDU gear by Eric So.
http://www.zhongman.com/toys/UploadFiles_7866/200604/20060412103824865.jpg

Good luck~

Sixth Scale
02-20-2010, 13:59
You could use wig hair and Dreadlock Wax to form them into minature real dreads. The wax is a bit messy, but it might work in 1/6th scale.

It comes in two colors, black and natural. It's what I used when I made my 1/1 Ronon Dex costume.

Ivan1GFP
03-01-2010, 16:28
Try Crochet Thread. It comes in many colours and is available in just about any artsy shop.

- Ivan.

yelorhino
03-01-2010, 16:53
The dollar store sells long braids on elastics, 3 colours for a dollar.
They will have to be undone and rebraided a little thinner. You can root these right into the head.
This is what i plan on doing in the near future...

Adding wax will help dread it.