How to rig a ruck for Static line jumping [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : How to rig a ruck for Static line jumping

Havoc
12-23-2003, 23:59
OK, I've been working on rigging this ruck for most of the day today with a Jumpmaster from my office helping. This is about as close as I can get it for a correct and jumpable static line ruck. The ruck came out of the Hot Toys Airborne Ranger. There are some things that don't jive but it's real close. I also had an SF soldier stop by the office today and give me the rubber bands (I'll explain later). Here's the first pic.....
(1) You have to cross the "H" harness straps in the back. Just take them out of the buckles and cross them.
(2) When you replace the straps into the buckles, run the free end back through to make a "quick release" and leave enough room in the loop to put three 1/6th scale fingers. You should then either tape or rubber band the excess strap in an "S" fold that is about the same size as the three finger loop. Make sure the tape is masking tape that can be easily ripped through when your soldier hits the LZ. Also make sure you don't tape the excess to the "H" harness.
(3) The lowering line should be looped vertically around the crossed "H" harness straps. DO NOT loop the lowering line around the ruck frame and DO NOT loop it horizontally. You should then loop the lowering line back through itself and prepare to attach it to the left side of the ruck frame.

I hope these pics are clear enough for people to see and understand. I will answer all the questions I can about them too. More to come........

Havoc
12-24-2003, 00:05
Attach the lowering line to the left side of the ruck frame with rubber bands. Like I said, an SF buddy of mine stopped by and saw me doing the JMPI ruck and offered me some rubber bands. What he gave me were retention bands for his braces (new ones, not the ones in his mouth). They worked great and were almost exactly proportionate to the ones you would really use. Anyhoo, back to the pics......
Loop the rubber band around the frame and then loop it through itself. Open up the excess end and shove the lowering line through it making sure that the hook end is towards the bottom of the ruck.

Havoc
12-24-2003, 00:11
Now, tape any excess straps down that may get caught on the way out of the aircraft. Any strap that may have to be adjusted once the soldier hits the ground, should be taped with masking tape. This makes it easier to rip into once he's on the ground. Anything that might make a lot of noise during a ground movement should be taped with 100 mph (green duct) tape. This can include things like the canteen case strap hooks (arrow). Make sure you tape all of the outer pouch straps and the main pouch straps with masking tape.

Havoc
12-24-2003, 00:13
Your excess "H" harness straps on the sides should be "S" rolled fairly tight and stowed under the retention loops. You can tape the ruck-to-frame straps with 100mph tape.

Havoc
12-24-2003, 00:17
There you have it. Not so hard huh? I'm working on fixing the weapons case for the Ranger too. The attaching hook is too low. When I get it fixed, maybe I will post a complete pre jump inspection for the Ranger. I will also show exactly how to rig the reserve, ruck, and weapon's case for a combat jump.

Pavespawn
12-24-2003, 01:24
Tell them about the shelf!

Havoc
12-24-2003, 03:29
Oh yeah, good point. If you want to be realistic, take that shelf thing off the bottom of the ruck frame. I have never seen a ruck with one on it. It's just dead weight anyway.

infantryleader
04-24-2005, 04:12
Where are all the pictures?

Yujin
04-24-2005, 08:08
infantryleader, they are all up there. Are you unable to see them?

infantryleader
04-24-2005, 09:37
Yeah there was no picture earlier...its been like that on some of the topics, I can't see the pics..i hope its not my PC