proper BDU sleeve folding? [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : proper BDU sleeve folding?

SyxxSix6
12-22-2003, 23:24
Can one of you army types please show me the miltary way that you roll up your sleeves. I was shown several years ago by my buddy, who was in the Army (I wasn't in the service, but have 1:1 BDUs & a kevlar helmet). I know there's a certain way you have to fold the cuffs, but for the life of me I can't recall. I'd like to apply this to a few of my figures, but want to do it the right way.

Much thanks!

Pavespawn
12-22-2003, 23:46
What you first have to do is take off the blouse. Then you turn the sleeve inside out to just above the elbow.

Pavespawn
12-22-2003, 23:47
Then roll the sleeve up like you would normally, until you reach the bottom the the cuff:

Pavespawn
12-22-2003, 23:48
After that fold the cuff down over the roll and you are done!

One Bravo Four
12-22-2003, 23:53
Has anyone tried this on a 1/6th blouse?

fury from the sky
12-23-2003, 00:12
I know the Answer to this question, but whoever can answer it correctly will receive a Dozen Tim Hortons Donuts Courtesy of One Bravo Four,
The question is:
Why DOES the Army roll their sleeves on their BDU's like that?
Anyone, Bueller , Anyone?

Jørg
12-23-2003, 00:15
Cuz you can yank the cuff down and have long sleeves again in about half a second per arm.

DarthBoz
12-23-2003, 00:16
Could it be because the inside of the fabric sticks out like a sore thumb when you're trying to be sneaky and camouflaged?

Also, I would like to see pictures if anyone is successful in doing this in 1/6. I had a hard enough time rolling the sleeves the other way on my figures.

fury from the sky
12-23-2003, 00:17
Good Try there DarthBoz but not the answer!
Jorg has answered the Question correctly!
Jorg, see One Bravo Four for your donuts!

wavehawk
12-23-2003, 00:24
Urgh, I dunno. With the exception of my carded DML Marpat uni (which was already rolled up), I've had to cut a little bit of the cuff open in order to roll the sleeves on my DML uniforms. So if I want to make it more accurate, I'll have to buy new uniform sets...I guess I'll have to live with it awhile.

BTW, I seem to recall that some camo sleeves had a button and swatch of cloth that allowed you to button te rolled sleeves into position. This may not b the answer, but it got me wondering about it...

Pavespawn
12-23-2003, 00:41
I am not sure myself but is it so you can roll the sleeves down faster?

FigureFan1701
12-23-2003, 00:46
Its definatly to get the sleeves down faster. and many a time was I happy I didnt have to unroll them.

Pave, thanks for posting the pic, i have no idea how i would have explianed that 1!!

One Bravo Four
12-23-2003, 00:48
Nuts! Looks like I have to send Jorg a box of Donuts!

Well, I hope you like Honey Cruellers...

SyxxSix6
12-23-2003, 00:57
thanks, Pave!

wormie
12-23-2003, 01:02
Thanks for the 411 pave. :)

Porkins73
12-23-2003, 02:38
I've done this with a TUS Woodland camo BDU :

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0603/porkins73/Saf11.jpg

teebo02
12-23-2003, 10:03
I've done the sleeves like that with several figures, but I don't have any pics handy to post. What I had to do was get the sleeves just right before I put the BDU shirt on the figure (it still isn't easy, take your time). Then, be careful not to mess the sleeves up when you put the shirt on, and of course remove the hands.

I know the Air Force and Army roll their sleeves this way, but every time I've seen Marines with rolled up BDU sleeves they've had the back side of the material exposed. I was in the Air Force from 90 to 94, but unlike Havoc & Pavespawn I don't have much noteworthy knowledge to contribute to figure bashing. Unless of course, you want to bash a Comm Center operator. Put him in BDUs and boots, and presto! - your easiest bash ever.

Cpl Stumps
12-23-2003, 11:53
Unless it's changed Marines don't roll their sleeves the way the Army and Airforce do.

When I was in the Marines the goal was to get the tightest sleeve possible. It was pointed out when I was in that by doing it that way we wouldn't be able to get our sleeves down with out taking off our blouse, but then I was also told that if you went into combat zone it was sleeves down anyway. Maybe another Marine can comment on this because the only combat I saw was with a copy machine.

JTFazz
12-23-2003, 12:43
I have done it with the SOTW desert BDU... they are fairly loose and easy enough.

Usmcrtop
12-24-2003, 00:12
The reason you may want to pull down the sleeves quickly is in case of a NBC attack-prevent a blister agent from contact on your arm-I think Marines do it is just to different from the Army-I still don't like nametags !!

Striker76
12-24-2003, 02:43
I believe that when you are done folding it the AF-way, when you bend your arm at a 90 degree angle, it is supposed to be 2 finger-widths from the crook of your elbow. We did it on a daily basis in tech school(hot-ass FL!!) but when I got here, I was able to take off my blouse instead of folding the sleeves.

Pavespawn
12-24-2003, 03:01
From AFI 36-2903 Dress and Apperance:

"Long-sleeved camouflage pattern may be rolled up; if rolled up, sleeve material must match shirt and will touch or come within 1 inch of forearms when arm is bent at 90-degree angle."