langdolin
10-12-2003, 20:03
try sanding them a little.

Sgt Jamie
10-12-2003, 20:23
Thanks needed that for my bhd figure

knifesix
10-13-2003, 16:51
Sand them a little to scuff them up slightly. Dry brush on some paint on for some color variation at the scuff marks and/or dirt and mud. You can paint the laces to make them stand out and add some variation in color.

Sgt Jamie
10-14-2003, 16:49
What kind of grit? i used my dad's sanding block but it didn't do anything.

Porkins73
10-14-2003, 23:54
I simply repaint the older DML Grey soles Desert boots. Used Tamiya acrylic paint - Desert Yellow & Buff.
Took BBi's Raptor boots color shade as a guide, the paint was applied to the DML ones. Then when the coat is dried completely, I do a very diluted mixture of Tamiya flat black - like 85% water, 15% paint. Run the diluted black paint over the boots the first time. When dried, use the same mixture to run over places on the boots you think will gets the most dirt while in actual use. Voila!

The only drawback about this repaint is the boots will turned out glossy looking even though you are using Flat based paints. Probably an additional coat of flat base should be applied to it but I'm sceptical it'll work.
Any masters out there has a remedy for this?

Sgt Jamie
10-15-2003, 20:52
I just found some 150 medium grit sandpaper. That helped me a whole lot.

langdolin
10-15-2003, 21:19
I just went to the supermarket and picked up some sanding sticks that you use on your fingernails.Its like 5 sticks in a pack for about a doller.

Sgt Jamie
10-18-2003, 22:22
Porkins73,
I went to a craft store today and i picked up some acrylic paint. i will try your suggestion later.

TangoOneSix
05-21-2006, 21:10
Depending on how you want to display your figure (and it's boots). For a little Iraq urban diorama I've put a figure on (I don't have pics yet) I used the emory boards (fingernail ones) and scuffed the boot surfaces at the toe and sides in instep and around the heel (sole part).
I then used some medium gray pastel (grease-type) crayon to lay on a layer of coloring and then mixed a little bit of dust from a black charcoal crayon with some Johnson&Johnson baby power and gently brushed it onto the boots. I also used the remaining mixuture of charcoal dust and baby powder on the floor of the diorama set.
-Medium gray pastel crayon, charcoal dust, baby powder, make-up or old paintbrush.
With these items I took a cheesy pair of Hasblow desert boots and made them look more realistic. It gives them a sort of drywall/sheetrock dust look. I suppose you could used some sheetrock dust too if you've got access to it.

howlin mad murdock
05-21-2006, 21:43
talcum powder can be added in small amounts to paints to a more flat or matte finish .

TangoOneSix
05-22-2006, 01:01
Better suggestion!
Talcum powder's even better and a lot cheaper too!
Thanks!

Johkaz
05-23-2006, 10:25
Hi,

What i have used on my Corbin Black figure's boots, was tiling grout.
This is a grey powder, and it does detail the boots nicely.
(Make sure that you don't breathe in the dust)
Also for the same boots, i used Dullcote painted onto the toecap of the new boot.
Then once dry, i dusted over the top with the grout, it then made the toecap look scuffed.

On the following page of my website, i have a picture of the scuffed boot.

http://johkaz.byethost10.com/dusty.html

Gary

Ireallyliketohaveone
08-19-2012, 04:39
If you want it realistic, then put it outside then wait 2 or more years then pick it up.

Broadshore
08-20-2012, 18:55
Hi,

What i have used on my Corbin Black figure's boots, was tiling grout.
This is a grey powder, and it does detail the boots nicely.
(Make sure that you don't breathe in the dust)
Also for the same boots, i used Dullcote painted onto the toecap of the new boot.
Then once dry, i dusted over the top with the grout, it then made the toecap look scuffed.

On the following page of my website, i have a picture of the scuffed boot.

http://johkaz.byethost10.com/dusty.html

Gary

Gary... I got a Trojan Alert for your link there man.

Johkaz
08-20-2012, 19:12
Hi,

That link was for my old website server and a lot of people had problems with the company, so i have changed the server i use and the new page is below.

http://www.johkaz.co.uk/dusty.html

Gary

DJCummings
09-07-2012, 00:08
I was also very interested in reading this and trying some of these techniques myself and am eager to try some of these techniques and tips as I have a number of projects on my mind.