Oh no! The OSW sells your personal data too!? [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Oh no! The OSW sells your personal data too!?

Ronin Six
10-06-2003, 16:40
Yes, we have the names of you and all your distant relatives and their social security numbers and their PIN numbers as well and are selling them to Russian Credit Card hackers to steal your identity. [gasp!] Just kidding... really. :grinroll

FYI:
If you have ANY doubt of any site about your personal info or browsing habits, I would personally recommend you use this tool (I use it myself, and it's an eye-opener when you first run it):
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Is the OSW selling your personal data?
No way.

Do we surreptitiously install any tracking programs (also known as SpyWare) onto your computer other than cookies?
Heck no.

What do OSW cookies do?
We cookie your computer only to keep you from having to log in every time you click around on our website. If you're really nervous about that, you are welcome to turn your cookies off. If you don't know what the hell cookies and the internet have in common, look up cookies.txt on google.

Again, if you prove me wrong on any of this, you can come on over and personally stick as many $100 dollar bills as you can up my nostril (they're big, so bring lots). :lol

Crazy Chocobo
10-06-2003, 22:26
If I had your address, I could personally come over... I'm only about an hour away from SF. =D

MINDXST0RM
10-06-2003, 22:58
No worries here Norm. :thumb But thanks anyways for the admission.

Thanks so much for the Spybot heads-up. I just ran the scan.......Guess what....
2 7 RED FLAGS!!!! GRRRRRR! :mad and no greens flags. (None of these were OSW related cookie spyware BTW)

Dang! Glad to see there were no evil Keyloggers!! WHeeeew! That's some scarry stuff.

And just for the Siiiick tip I'll send ya a paypal to your good-will-catch-all-box:

al[email protected]

mxs

peacekeeper
10-06-2003, 23:55
Man, am I glad you posted that link! Being computer illiterate, I had no idea how many sharks swin in this pond called the internet. I had over 300 red flags! Most were cookie trackers but since I didn't read all 308, there may have been some real nasty beasties in there. Thanks for the link Norm & for the record, no OSw spyware was found.

Just Clay
10-07-2003, 02:25
We do however sell all of the nude photos you fellas send in of your girlfriends. So please gents keep those pics coming! daddy needs a new pair of 1/6th shoes!

Ronin Six
10-07-2003, 10:10
Yeah most of you running it for the first time may see some of the notorious ones like HitBot and Gator especially if you download and install freeware (it's how they fund themselves).

I bet if Chet or Clay ran it they'd probably see 800 entries of things like SexTracker. :lol I had only 350 entries. :bag

MxS, multiples of 100 if you don't mind. I need a new gas barbecue. :lol

USMCCHET92_96
10-07-2003, 14:57
Anyone who knows anything about browser cookies would also know that they cannot be used to gather user specific information and if this post was the result of someone speading some OSW Conspiracy Theory than they need to step back away from there PC and get out more.

Here is a little info on the infamous COOKIE
All about cookies that you will ever need to know (http://javascript.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cookiecentral.co m%2Ffaq%2F)

ActionJoe
10-09-2003, 13:21
Originally posted by Ronin Six
What do OSW cookies do?
We cookie your computer only to keep you from having to log in every time you click around on our website. If you're really nervous about that, you are welcome to turn your cookies off.

So it's possible to login to this site without cookies?

Also, do you guys really make enough with ads & affiliates to run this huge site and have money left over? Man alive, how many unique hits does this site get on a good day?

Ronin Six
10-10-2003, 10:39
actionjoe, yes you can click around without cookies, but you'd have to log in every time you visited another page I think.

Lots of hits, I tell ya.

ActionJoe
10-10-2003, 12:23
When I log out, I cannot read any of the messages in the main forum. It just says no messages posted in last 30 days. So when I login, it puts a cookie on my PC, right? Then doesn't that mean you do need cookies to read messages? :confused:

Also, may I ask what the monthly hosting costs are for this site?

Crazy Chocobo
10-11-2003, 14:50
vB has a function that prevents unregistered users from reading messages, which is enabled at OSW. That means, if you aren't logged in, you're a "Guest", therefore, "unregistered", and cannot view messages.

ActionJoe
10-11-2003, 23:48
So translation is that I DO need cookies to use this site. I just wanted to clarify that as R6's earlier post made it sound like they were not mandatory for reading messages.

Ronin Six
10-13-2003, 13:01
Hi ActionJoe,

I believe you might be able to browse the board without cookies. There's an option in the User Control Panel preferences where you can choose to "Browse without Cookies", but that might make it so that you have to log in on every page you visit.

Better to browse using cookies, as our cookies enhance your experience rather than detract from it.

Hope that helps!