More macrotosis and an explanation about drybrushing [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : More macrotosis and an explanation about drybrushing

BONZO
09-20-2003, 03:45
This was one of those times when you put no work into something and it turns out better than you could ever expect. I have to give BBi the credit. The gloves are a great sculpt with a lot of detail put in with all the grain on the leather. It really took to the paint.

The gloves are a basic black with a little factory weathering on the knuckles. It was kinda grey there compared to the black.

The paint I used was Delta Ceramcoat Brown Iron Oxide Acrylic found in most Wal Mart craft sections, Hobby Lobby's, and Ben Franklin Crafts.

I used a beat up old brush that had a short thick amount of bristle on it. I dipped about half the brush in the paint and then wiped it very very dry on a paper towel. It needs to be dry enough that if you wiped the brush on your fingers it would be hard to see any paint.
Then I began brushing the gloves. I went over it twice. The residual paint left over on the brush collects on the raised areas of the gloves.
And because of the material the gloves were made of and that the amount of paint is so light when putting on if I messed up I could just rub it off with my thumb.

This technique works the same on highlighting hair, weapons, etc.

BONZO
09-20-2003, 03:54
I see that I messed up on the inside of the index finger. Something I never noticed til I saw the photo.

BONZO
09-20-2003, 04:05

BONZO
09-20-2003, 04:14

BONZO
09-20-2003, 04:22

BONZO
09-20-2003, 04:33
I also gave this Kat cheek makeup by dry brushing it on. When I did it if it went on too much I had a wet cutip and would wipe it off immediately dry her cheek and start over again.

DarthBoz
09-20-2003, 05:52
Dude,

How did you do the perm? that is awesome.

Moneyshot
09-20-2003, 07:34
I really really REALLY need to do me at least one Jedi. Im tired of seeing everyones kick*ss customs, and not at least having one myself. very cool.

Fab5Freddy
09-20-2003, 15:52
Bonzo...so no dilution of the acrylics with water? I guess that's why I get the runny look more than anything else. Great tutorial. Thanks.

BONZO
09-20-2003, 18:30
Hey Fab, yep no dilution for this. At least I don't for drybrushing. I do thin the acrylics though when it comes to most other paintwork.

Darth, I'll put up some instructions and pics on the curled hair later this week. I've got 2 cygirl heads I've been wanting to use in jennifer uniforms, but I've been putting off rerooting them til Jennifer came out. The figure above is fully rerooted. I've tried curling hair on the head and I've never had good results.

The chick above also is after I've thinned her hair quite a bit too.
I had rerooted every hole on her head and it just came out WAY TOO MUCH HAIR. I still think there's too much hair, but I don't feel up to messing with her anymore. Here's a pic of how she looked when I first did her WAY back.

One Bravo Four
09-20-2003, 18:44
Jeff, she's quite the Jedi!

I like the hair and make-up tips too.

Alyasha
09-20-2003, 21:59
Bonzo...Great tutorial .
Love the Jedi !

ghpham
09-20-2003, 23:06
hi Jeff...excellent job on the gloves! are those belonging to the Korean pilot? I love that custom Kat also. Thanks for sharing the tutorial :)

BONZO
09-21-2003, 00:54
The gloves are off of one of their German pilots Ernst Wagner.

pukingdog
09-21-2003, 14:38
Bonz' you didn't pooch the pri-digit on the left glove, that's just extra wear. No matter how cool pilots may seem, inside the cockpit there'll be some (perhaps involuntary) repeated fidgetting. The equivalent to a worry stone. That's where the visible finger wear comes from.

Great job on the hair.

No charge for the most excellent alibi story.

crisibabe
09-21-2003, 14:42
great job, thank you bonzoman.

crisibabe. :smoking