Printing camo on fabric using a laserjet?? - or is it inkjet??? [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Printing camo on fabric using a laserjet?? - or is it inkjet???

piesix
06-25-2009, 16:47
Has anyone done this? If so how do you colourfast the inks? Is there a special type of ink??

ActionMan
06-25-2009, 19:10
I believe people use a fixing spray. Try searching here for 'printing' and you should get some good results.

hondo
06-27-2009, 11:17
I just use the special fabric paper and a regular inkjet set on the high quality print setting. I've never tried a fixing spray and wonder what it is.
I will tell you if you run water on it doesn't hold ink well but it sews nice. So far all I've done is a poncho and bandanas.

duck of death
06-27-2009, 23:28
I think the title of this thread should be changed to inkjet not laserjet. A laserjet isn't going to work at all!

The reason I got an Epson printer is the regular ink is dye-based and archival quality, colorfast, long-lasting, etc. Looks great coming out of the printer and doesn't need any further treatment to be water resistant.

When I print on cloth, I use the special inkjet fabric sheets that are meant to be run through the printer. When you print with those, you're supposed to leave your printer on the plain paper setting. I've printed out the Converse All Star logo for Doctor Who's Chuck Taylor's shoes using this stuff and they came out totally perfect and crisp with all the writing legible even though the logo is less than half an inch (1 cm) across.

ifrack
06-28-2009, 21:59
Thanks for the info....

hondo
07-05-2009, 00:18
I tried spraying some cotton and silk today with common Krylon Matte sealer to hold the color. It worked perfect on the silk and it made a big difference on the cotton. I usually wet down what I make with the material to give it a used wrinkled look. I just use a regular HP Photosmart printer.

der soldat
07-06-2009, 02:28
I don't print camo very often because it eats up all my ink, but insingia uses the same process.....
Once whatever you want is printed, soak it in Vinegar overnight. The vinegar acts like a colourfasting agent, and the ink won't run like it would if not treated in vinegar.

If you look on some boxes of fabric dye, a few will recommend adding vinegar into the mix as a colourfast. Of course, it will fade with time, but the vinegar helps prevent fading from moisture. I've been able to soak sheets of insignia in water without them running after the Vinegar bath.

piesix
07-16-2009, 20:52
Thank's for that tip Soldat! Inks washing out is one of my primary concerns.

piesix
07-17-2009, 17:33
I just use the special fabric paper and a regular inkjet set on the high quality print setting. I've never tried a fixing spray and wonder what it is.
I will tell you if you run water on it doesn't hold ink well but it sews nice. So far all I've done is a poncho and bandanas.

Who carries this special fabric paper? My local Staples and OfficeMax have never heard of it.

hondo
07-17-2009, 22:09
Hobby Lobby and Micheals. I found it on the isle with iron ons and what they called wearable art.

k9cop33
07-30-2009, 17:13
I have gotten mine at Walmart and like stores also.

hondo
07-30-2009, 21:18
Really, I ask once at our local Walmart and got the your an idiot look from the clerk. I'll have to look again.

sama-el
07-31-2009, 16:30
I got mine at Walmart as well. Look in the craft department, I found it in the same aisle as the paints.