Wig making tutorial

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Wig making tutorial

Arrow Wig making tutorial

Here is the wig making tutorial I said I would do for you guys. You may find things that make the process easier for you.

Step 1:
    First thing I did was mark out where I wanted the hair line to be.
    Step 2:
    Dremel down the head inside the hair line where the wig is going to be.
    Step 3:
    Take some white glue, and mix it with some water. You don't want to thin it out too much.
    Step 4:
    Dunk a pieces of the gauze into the glue mixture, squeeze it out a little, and wrap it around the head.
    Step 5:
    Press down on the gauze to find the hair line ridge, and trim the extra gauze away. Smooth everything down, and let dry.
    Step 6:
    Once the cap is dry, CAREFULLY pry it off the head. It may lose it's shape a little, and will be a little pliable. Clean the head in hot soapy water to get the glue residue off.
    Step 6:
    Mask off the area where the wig will go, and paint your head. Once the paint is dry, and you have sealed the head you can remove the masking.
    Step 7:
    Paint the cap flesh tone. While the paint is drying, you can start dipping one end of small sections of hair in glue, and smooth out so they are flat, and let them dry. If the glue goes too far up on the hair, just trim it away a little. You want to make sure you don't try to use pieces of hair that are too short. It will be hard to work with. Don't worry, we will give him a trim later.
    Step 8:
    Start gluing the bunches of hair under the cap or the front, and sides. These will be flipped back, and curl over the edges of the cap (for this haircut). If the part was in the middle, and the hair was going to hang down in the front, I would make a slit in the middle of the cap, and have the hair sticking up through (I hope I didn't lose anyone yet).
    Step 9:
    Now you can glue the cap onto the head. Once the glue dries, continue to glue the bunches of hair onto the cap in the direction the hair would flow. There is a strategy to this so it doesn't look too thick, but is also not so thin you can see the cap everywhere. It's ok if it shows in some places (that's why it's painted flesh tone). At the end of this step you should have something that looks like cousin it.
    Step 10:
    Now start to style the hair a little, and trim it up. Use hair gel to hold everything in place. You have to be careful not to rip all the hair out when combing/styling the hair. Some will come out, but if you hold the sections down when combing, it keeps a lot more hair on the cap. Also if you use a little water on your fingers, and wipe them on the hair it helps, but if you use too much, you will start to loosen the glue. Now pop the head on a body, and you are done. If you feel ambitious, you could probably punch the hair into the cap instead of just gluing it on. It would be more of a fully rooted wig that way. I might try that next. If someone beats me to it, please let me know how it turned out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wig making tutorial-hair-1-jpg   Wig making tutorial-hair-2-jpg   Wig making tutorial-hair-bill-1-jpg   Wig making tutorial-hair-bill-2-jpg   Wig making tutorial-hair-bill-3-jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Victorville, CA. Yeh, the middle of no where.
    Nice Tutorial! Very nice!

Excellent tutorial!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks!! I hope this helps some people. I can't wait to see what kind of twists people can put on this, and show some great bashes!!

Sweet, just flippin sweet! I was waiting for this! Thanks for posting.

great tutorial! another awesome method which will have to be tried.
    great pics and writeup together.

Haha! That's awesome!!
    Is that real hair?

Awesome tutorial and that Bill is super cool!

Man that is awesome...

Very informative tutorial! Awesome!

This is too great!!! Gonna try that!!! Thanks man!

Reggie, that is very cool and the step by step instructions with the pictures are extremely helpful! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by moonjo
    Haha! That's awesome!!
    Is that real hair?
    It's Mohair (?). I got it from Rio Rondo.

Hey this is really great thanks for sharing

An excellent toot, Reggie. Copied to the Custom Tips, for the generations to come.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -