Once more, behavior on OSW

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39

Thread: Once more, behavior on OSW

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Apparently, some alternate universe
    Posts
    41,776

    Once more, behavior on OSW

    Given the current state of things in the hobby, the world, and here on OSW, I can see how it might be hard to maintain a "Mr. Happy Pants" level of enthusiasm, but that doesn't mean it's no holds-barred.

    There's been a decided increase in negative posting, insulting remarks, and argument well outside the bounds of thread subjects. Rather than contact the major players, consider this post a general warning.

    Staff's primary function is not to clean up messes. From this point, individuals who insist on improper behavior aboard, will receive notification and time down, simultaneously.

    Not looking for a Care Bears hug fest, just the place back to the hobby. The rest, that belongs somewhere else.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North By South West
    Posts
    778

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    230

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    could not agree more
    MOTHER^*(^% THAT WAS A T90 AND IM STILL BREATHING

  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dunfermline, UK
    Posts
    760

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    I've noticed a lot of negative comments on virtually all Hot Toys related threads. The remarks are not always about the figure itself, but Hot Toys in general and the people who buy them. I can understand the complaints about pricing and the poor value of some releases (e.g. Quicksilver), especially when other manufacturers can bring out figures with a ton of gear and weapons at half the price. Remarks aimed at HT themselves are acceptable as it's rare for them to take much notice of forums anyway, and it's to let them know that collectors do have a limit.

    Remarks aimed at fellow collectors (even though specific individuals are not targeted) are another story. People can have grievances with HT for whatever reason, but to start calling other members names because they buy HT's products is not acceptable. A quick scan of any of the Iron Man threads will bring up words like fanboys, gullible, fools with more money than sense, cultists, whores, and my personal favourite quote (i won't say who said it):

    "HT attracted more "collectors" or simply "buyers" who don't necessarily "comprehend" the 1:6 hobby for the most part (i.e. @ $ $ holes who should not be in the 1:6 hobby, but brought $ into the hobby)."

    I've been on this forum since 2011, checking in at least once a day, but for the last 6 months, it's like once a month and i don't even bother to login to post. If you look at some of my threads, they are scratchbuilds, kitbashes, modifications, fixes or reviews. I would say i'm as well qualified as anyone else to be in the 1/6 hobby, but to read those kinds of comments, makes me wonder why i would want to be part of it.

    A lot of my threads are tutorials for mods or repairs (to save money), but clearly that is not relevant. My HT collection automatically makes me an @ $ $ hole who should not be in the hobby.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lexington, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,701

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    I agree. We're all in this hobby to have fun and I think we're all on this forum to make friends with people that enjoy the 1:6 addiction.

    Mark

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    alamurder CA
    Posts
    769

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Here's to keeping all about the hobby, HOORAY!
    tomorrow is a mystery, the past is history, now is the "gift" thats why they call it the present!

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Puebla, Mexico
    Posts
    700

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    I agree Pukingdog. If not Happy Pants, everyone should be more respectful, meaning that if I don't like or agree with something, either be quiet or say it in a way that doesn't upset others.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    McDonald's
    Posts
    144

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Hopefully, my behavior here hasn't been negative in any way; if it has been, then I humbly apologize. I agree this needs to be about the hobby and not about personal issues, and that things can heat up here quite quickly.

    I'm hoping we can get back to an enjoyable level with the forums.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Hear! Hear!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Athens Greece
    Posts
    1,585

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Quote Originally Posted by delusional View Post
    I agree. We're all in this hobby to have fun and I think we're all on this forum to make friends with people that enjoy the 1:6 addiction.

    Mark

    This!

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rep. of Korea
    Posts
    6,215

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    WHAT?! NO NEG. COMMENTS!!! You have got to be kidding me!

    I learned a long, long, long time ago to never post negative comments...
    fullmetal's Customs:fullmetals
    elfbait's Customs:elbait

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    I do try to be mindful of what I say. but sometimes no matter how you say it someone feelings get hurt. if we can't agree to disagree then I think we are being immature. no one is going to share the same opinion all the time but sometimes people are hurt buy such little things that I wonder sometimes are their some children here posing as adults. I read my comments over and try to assure that I am responding in a respectful manner,but if by some reason they decide to give me time out or kick me off the board all together then it is what is. I don't think this have to be a mutual admiration society just show respect to one another. personally I don't mind and even like a good debate as long as it doesn't get personal.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Apparently, some alternate universe
    Posts
    41,776

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    You could be missing the point, masamune. Disagreeing isn't the issue. Getting personal and insulting is the issue. That goes for everybody.

    "I don't like this figure because (insert legit reasons here)" - no problem.

    "I don't like this figure because of your mom..." - problem.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Calgary, where you at?
    Posts
    13,705

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Play nice. Good rules to live by.

    Negative comments about a figure.... typical, and almost expected.

    Negative comments about fellow members.... not cool or necessary.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Florida
    Posts
    12,715

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    As long as I can remember, I don't believe anyone ever posted about disliking a figure because of a member's mother.

    I'm just saying to add some levity.

    It's like going to a doctor's office and being told you have a month to live and you demand a second opinion. The doctor then tells you that you're ugly.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)



  18. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    not missing the point I get it, if you read my post I am basically saying what you guys are saying. I still think sometime we are just a little too sensitive to be a board of mostly men. and I mean that as no disrespect to women. I don't want it to get where members are too afraid to disagree because they think we may take it as a sign of disrespect. personally I like for those who don't like something to feel free to speak out, do not want to read a bunch of how great that is, or that is the greatest thing since slice bread. I like to read honest feed back and the reason why people feel a certain way whether I agree with or not. I have had members say things to me that others would be in a uproar. I just laugh and sometimes I respond with a witty reply or I might not at all. I think everyone here are adults and we should have the right to disagree and express that disagreement and like you said as long as it does not get personal.
    Last edited by masamune; 10-11-2015 at 08:21.

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    5,588

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    I agree that generally speaking out freely (good or bad) is a healthy thing but where a disagreement results it's as much "how you say it" as what you say.

    In a discussion between members I think "I disagree with you about this specific fact" is fine; "You're wrong" is borderline and contextual; and ""You're stupid and you don't know what you're talking about" is totally unacceptable -- also, it's unnecessary.

    I've also got to say that I respectfully disagree with Marine boy. I think being critical or sarcastic on groups or trends like "HT fanboys" is totally in line, so long as someone really is talking about a wordwide trend among collectors or whatever, and not making a disguised cheap shot about someone else's post, or taking a shot at specific people disguised as a critique about overall trends.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

  20. #18
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Florida
    Posts
    12,715

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    I agree that generally speaking out freely (good or bad) is a healthy thing but where a disagreement results it's as much "how you say it" as what you say.

    In a discussion between members I think "I disagree with you about this specific fact" is fine; "You're wrong" is borderline and contextual; and ""You're stupid and you don't know what you're talking about" is totally unacceptable -- also, it's unnecessary.

    I've also got to say that I respectfully disagree with Marine boy. I think being critical or sarcastic on groups or trends like "HT fanboys" is totally in line, so long as someone really is talking about a wordwide trend among collectors or whatever, and not making a disguised cheap shot about someone else's post, or taking a shot at specific people disguised as a critique about overall trends.
    --

    Seriously speaking . . .

    I understand what Marine boy is saying. I really do.

    I posted a very biting critique/damnation of HT collectors being overzealous within the hobby community when it comes to collecting and defending anything/everything by HT. I did so based on my experiences with HT collectors of the extreme kind and myself being an overzealous collector/defender of a particular brand once.

    My commentary of HT was not directed at Marine boy or other collectors like him because I don't seev/view him as the the HT fanatical type, etc. in any way.

    However, he felt and took it as such.

    It's like when there are post/replies criticizing/ridiculing anyone who collects and enjoys 1:6 female figures dressed provocatively, sexy, armed to the teeth with guns, etc. We're directly or indirectly referred to as being "pervs" and then some.

    In the past, such comments may have irked me, but why bother? I guess a bit more thick skin than others (at times) and just didn't think about. Of course, that may not hold true for others.

    Marine boy quoted me and that's fine. My post was not aimed at him personally in any way, but the felt otherwise for his reasons.

    Discretion is the better part of valor, so I sent an apology to Marine boy. It's his call to accept it, reject it, or ignore it. I acknowledged and replied to his grievance because he felt wronged/insulted apparently.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)



  21. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    5,588

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung View Post
    --

    Seriously speaking . . .

    I understand what Marine boy is saying. I really do.

    I posted a very biting critique/damnation of HT collectors being overzealous within the hobby community when it comes to collecting and defending anything/everything by HT. I did so based on my experiences with HT collectors of the extreme kind and myself being an overzealous collector/defender of a particular brand once.

    My commentary of HT was not directed at Marine boy or other collectors like him because I don't seev/view him as the the HT fanatical type, etc. in any way.

    However, he felt and took it as such.

    It's like when there are post/replies criticizing/ridiculing anyone who collects and enjoys 1:6 female figures dressed provocatively, sexy, armed to the teeth with guns, etc. We're directly or indirectly referred to as being "pervs" and then some.

    In the past, such comments may have irked me, but why bother? I guess a bit more thick skin than others (at times) and just didn't think about. Of course, that may not hold true for others.

    Marine boy quoted me and that's fine. My post was not aimed at him personally in any way, but the felt otherwise for his reasons.

    Discretion is the better part of valor, so I sent an apology to Marine boy. It's his call to accept it, reject it, or ignore it. I acknowledged and replied to his grievance because he felt wronged/insulted apparently.
    Didn't realize there was a specific exchange behind Marine boy's comments, haven't read it. I stand by my general point though. I do not support the restriction that you can't say anything negative about any collectors or groups of collectors, period. I think it's all in "how you say it." And I think it's necessary to be able to propose things like "All the people who accept substandard quality from [HT/Sideshow/Asmus/Big Chief etc] are hurting the hobby..." again, so long as it's not a disguised shot at any particular person.

    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

  22. #20
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Real-world, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Be nice.
    No name-calling/mother-insulting.
    Have thick skin.
    Argue the items, the companies, the buying/selling patterns, the details.
    Do NOT argue mental, physical or financial ability's of other members.

    But this is all just my opinion.
    "Grant us wisdom from Thy mind, courage from Thine heart, strength from Thine arm, and protection by Thine hand. It is for Thee that we do battle, and to Thee belongs the victor's crown. For Thine is the kingdom, & the power & glory forever, Amen." SF Prayer

  23. #21
    Toyscout Unregistered Guest

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Quote Originally Posted by Joebros View Post
    Be nice.
    No name-calling/mother-insulting.
    Have thick skin.
    Argue the items, the companies, the buying/selling patterns, the details.
    Do NOT argue mental, physical or financial ability's of other members.

    But this is all just my opinion.
    That seems sound and sensible to me. Simple rules that are easy to follow.

  24. #22
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    186

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    I agree, save your time writing negative comments and focus on the ones you actually like. HT are not going to change their pricing because... they sell at that price. Focus on the item itself and whether it is a good piece or not. Calling people fanboys is simply pointless because we are all fans in some capacity. I myself am new to the forums and am still happy and enthusiastic about collecting. If majority of your comments are negative then why not step back for a while and just take a moment to decide if you really still love this hobby. Luckily I have had nothing but love so far but I suspect that's because I'm totally awesome and everyone is simply hot for me.
    much love to you all xxx
    Have only been kit bashing since about March - April 2015

  25. #23

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Granted, the entire rest of the internet has probably already set an extremely low bar for me, but I'm always impressed with what a respectful and considerate community OSW is. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right posts, but I rarely see personal attacks, and am surprised to hear that this is enough of an issue to warrant this post. I'm glad that most people here have such an intolerance for this type of behavior, and I think that is what make this forum as good as it is.

  26. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Surrey England
    Posts
    1,021

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Recently Ive spent more time making models than talking about it, 6 months ago it was the other way round.

    I've little time for conflict on here. I get that in real life, I come on here for inspiration not opinions.

    The irony is not lost on me through that I am offering my option now ;-)

    Thanks
    warren
    I pose dollies, we take pics!
    www.vonabt.co.uk

  27. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,018

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    I've been posting less and less here because of the increasing negativity around the figures being posted and discussed. There are people who collect and display figures straight from the boxes, and there are those who make everything from scratch... and there are those of us who do both and everything in between... but there is a definite air of elitism about some posts that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

    I just wish we could all get along and enjoy the hobby. So what if you spent several hundred dollars putting together the perfect Indiana Jones from spares and made your own leather jacket... and then someone raves about their HT version. Not everyone has the skill or time to bash a figure from spares or sew their own clothing, and if they have the money to buy an overpriced figure then good on them.
    Live and let live.

  28. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW


  29. #27
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Florida
    Posts
    12,715

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Quote Originally Posted by plastique View Post
    I've been posting less and less here because of the increasing negativity around the figures being posted and discussed. There are people who collect and display figures straight from the boxes, and there are those who make everything from scratch... and there are those of us who do both and everything in between... but there is a definite air of elitism about some posts that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

    I just wish we could all get along and enjoy the hobby. So what if you spent several hundred dollars putting together the perfect Indiana Jones from spares and made your own leather jacket... and then someone raves about their HT version. Not everyone has the skill or time to bash a figure from spares or sew their own clothing, and if they have the money to buy an overpriced figure then good on them.
    Live and let live.
    --

    I have more admiration and respect for and to those who customize, scratch build, and buy the required parts to create their own 1:6 figure compared to those who display a figure straight from the box and boast about how it's the greatest thing than 1:6 sliced bread. Granted, I may not always post praise or support for it.

    Yes.

    There is "elitism" within the hobby and more so over the past few years. I don't agree with it. It usually doesn't end well if people speak out about it because of "butt hurt" feelings.

    There are a variety of factors behind this, but I believe most of us know what they are.

    I wish we could all just simply get along, but that is not the case.

    I'm not condoning or supporting it. It is what it is.

    They're your figures and you enjoyed the effort and time spent on creating it. Post and share it. If they criticize it, then that's their opinion and we all know what we say about opinions.

    We're not here to find justification and rationale to post and share. We're here because we want to post/share our figures and thoughts as hobbyists whether some don't agree or like us for whatever reasons. It's about the hobby.

    Just contribute and participate in knowing you do this for enjoyment and not for some organic acceptance.
    Last edited by DeltaForceChung; 11-30-2015 at 19:08. Reason: Original post/reply was ironically negative and I should know better . . .
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)



  30. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Ireland. (Gods' Country).
    Posts
    2,193

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Yes, it's very sad, and like i said some time back....there is a lot of negativity and downright nastiness, that has crept into our beautiful hobby lately.
    When it comes to ill feeling on OSW though, you can bet your bottom dollar of at least one certain member stuck in the middle of it!

  31. #29
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Florida
    Posts
    12,715

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ulsterman View Post
    Yes, it's very sad, and like i said some time back....there is a lot of negativity and downright nastiness, that has crept into our beautiful hobby lately.
    When it comes to ill feeling on OSW though, you can bet your bottom dollar of at least one certain member stuck in the middle of it!
    --

    I do hope a future upgrade will enhance the IGNORE capability and function where anyone on a IGNORE list simply does not appear in any thread or post/reply from viewing instead of appearing as said user is one's IGNORE list.

    That way no one has to see anyone let alone find or know what the person on the IGNORE list posted/said as if they didn't exist.

    Let's be honest and truthful about that.

    Just like the Facebook BLOCK function.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)



  32. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Swansea S.Wales.UK.Irish by birth
    Posts
    11,538

    Re: Once more, behavior on OSW

    I don't agree with it. It usually doesn't end well if people speak out about it because of "butt hurt" feelings.
    I would think anything involving "butthurt" wouldn't end well! ;-)
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Similar Threads

  1. OSW Terms of Use
    By Ronin Six in forum OSW: Forum Conduct & General Info
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 20:18
  2. Thanks to the OSW staff
    By pytoys in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 17:33
  3. Sidebar info overflow when OSW opened with Firefox
    By Porkins73 in forum Announcements and FAQs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-15-2008, 00:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Once more, behavior on OSW
[X]