Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post - Page 3

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post

Re: Tutorial: How to compose a proper thread title & post

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    Let me say this. I really like it that the Guidelines avoid any imperative or smug or confrontational tone. I know how hard that is to do because when I was trying to make a couple of suggestions above, I saw how easy it would be for me to fall into that.

That being said, the word "proper" in the title does have a slight whiff of the imperative. I think it gets defused when people read the actual guidelines, but some people may have a sensitive first reaction, like our friend Minto above whose feelings seem to have been hurt a bit. But I think there should definitely still be an adjective in the title, and for two reasons:

(1) firstly "Tutorial: How to compose a thread title and post" sounds more like it's going to be technical about using the software rather than about style; and (2) secondly, just telling people "how to do it" actually sounds more smug than suggesting how they could do it better.

I actually think itchybitz's "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post" nails it.

Hmm, when you put it that way, I can see the point of altering the title.

I will follow itchybitz's suggestion and change the thread title to "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title and post".

Many thanks to both of you!

David
    My Trade Feedback

"I'm afraid of spiders... and women... and spider women!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman57 View Post
    Hmm, when you put it that way, I can see the point of altering the title.

I will follow itchybitz's suggestion and change the thread title to "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title and post".

Many thanks to both of you!

David
    Cool, a nice bit of teamwork

Now we just have to teach them how to use the search engine

Re: Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post

Great suggestions!

Since I am new here--just joined today--it's always nice to know what is expected of members upfront. Having an understanding of how to draw the experts in to answer your question(s) is the key to success. From here on out, my threads will imitate a bug zapper so as to attract all the experts.

Even though I am not too familiar with forums, with my passion for 1:6 returning, I have a feeling I will be perusing this site on a daily basis. This thread will guide me on my journey to awesome kitbashes, weathering, and whatever else I can click on.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sounds good to me. I know the mods stickied it as was, but, yeah, the new title is a good one. I just hope that folk read it.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by itchybitz View Post
    Now we just have to teach them how to use the search engine
    I'm going to leave that for you to handle, Nigel!

David
    My Trade Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by swaveman05 View Post
    Great suggestions!

Since I am new here--just joined today--it's always nice to know what is expected of members upfront. Having an understanding of how to draw the experts in to answer your question(s) is the key to success. From here on out, my threads will imitate a bug zapper so as to attract all the experts.

Even though I am not too familiar with forums, with my passion for 1:6 returning, I have a feeling I will be perusing this site on a daily basis. This thread will guide me on my journey to awesome kitbashes, weathering, and whatever else I can click on.
    First off, welcome to OSW!

Be prepared to spend money like water, and grouse about the cost of new figures and loose parts

Seriously though, I hope you find these tips that I've posted to be helpful. They were intended to make the OSW experience a bit better for everyone, whether a new member like yourself, or one of us old-timers.

Again, welcome and have fun here!

David
    My Trade Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by minto View Post
    Ok i am out of here. when i frist came here this was a fun place. know all of a sudden it is like being back in school again some of us have learning disabilitys. who cares if you think the poster should of labeled there post difrently or spelled some words wrong.
    I am not sure if this is some of you guys messing around, but if not, then it is very sad to read!
    I hate the thoughts of anyone being made to feel left out of our great forum, and hobby!

I can see where you fellas are going with this, and generally what you're trying to do, and i think it's fine, but personally speaking, if i can understand what a guy is saying (even if it takes a little working out, then i am OK with that)

I just hope that some members who, let's say, just don't have the same intellect or vocabulary range as the rest of us don't start backing off because they feel uncomfortable.

Just my thoughts,

Neil.
    Last edited by The Ulsterman; 05-29-2015 at 16:20.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ulsterman View Post
    I am not sure if this is some of you guys messing around, but if not, then it is very sad to read!
    I hate the thoughts of anyone being made to feel left out of our great forum, and hobby!

I can see where you fellas are going with this, and generally what you're trying to do, and i think it's fine, but personally speaking, if i can understand what a guy is saying (even if it takes a little working out, then i am OK with that)

I just hope that some members who, let's say, just don't have the same intellect or vocabulary range as the rest of us don't start backing off because they feel uncomfortable.

Just my thoughts,

Neil.
    Neil, I can understand your concerns. I did make several changes to the original post to try to address issues that were brought up by other members. Minto seems to have been distressed by the idea of using proper grammar and spelling, so I made a change to the section about that:
    Please attempt (to the best of your ability to do so) to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate effectively.
    And I wrote this in a later post:
    Perhaps there are those who do not wish to make the effort; that's their choice entirely.
    It should be noted that these tips are simply suggestions for communicating more effectively, they are are not iron-clad rules that every member must follow or else.

It's also worth noting that the majority of the responses to my original post have been highly positive, with only a couple of grumbles about the ideas I put forth. Even the two admins who have read it (Crusader1xxx & Pukingdog) have approved of it, and have made it a "Please Read" sticky thread at the top of the page as a result.

Will some people be turned off by the idea? Possibly, but then we have at least one new member (swaveman05) who has read the post and written that he'll try to use the tips provided, so I consider that a "win" in my book.

David
    My Trade Feedback

In my time aboard, I have personally held that, if I could understand the intent, I didn't worry about some misspellings or misuse. That likely goes to being taught by a strict group of nuns, in my grade school days, and a resulting rebellious attitude.

At the same time, I know that others find some of the characteristics covered in this thread, to be distracting, and even irritating. David's approach seems reasonable enough (we have had far less polite postings in past years), so I see it as a positive effort.

As with most other subjects covered aboard, the best course (to my mind), is consideration, followed by use of the points, or not, according to one's own preference. After that, roll on, back to hobbying.

I hope that no one takes this to heart so much, that they feel that leaving is the only answer.

How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.

Marcus Aurelius
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    I hope that no one takes this to heart so much, that they feel that leaving is the only answer.
    I think that maybe some people don't necessarily grasp that highwayman57 simply assembled some positive suggestions -- and maybe they're afraid that now they're going to start getting crazy fascist enforcement PMs like "Your last post confused 'there' for "their" in breach of the Guidelines - this is your First Official Warning." Once it settles in how the thread is just a gathering of recommendations, these Guidelines will be useful to those who find them so, and will simply be irrelevant to those who don't.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman57 View Post
    Neil, I can understand your concerns. I did make several changes to the original post to try to address issues that were brought up by other members. Minto seems to have been distressed by the idea of using proper grammar and spelling, so I made a change to the section about that:
    Hi David, No worries my friend, and i fully appreciate the lengths you are going to so as not offend posters who may "slip up" on grammar etc....i truly do.

Neil.

thanks for the guidance. great help

Being somewhat of a newbie myself, this is much appreciated information. Thanks!

Something that members new and old could do would be to go to their User CP and add their location. I know a lot of you do, but, there are those that don't and maybe should. Many times you get a member asking where they can find something, it's far easier to make suggestions if we know where in the world they are.

There may be a retailer nearby which would help cut their shipping costs, or even a member in the same town where they could meet up. You can see now why that location is important.

CHEERS!