Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post - Page 2

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post

Re: Tutorial: How to compose a proper thread title & post

If I may add one thing, it's always seemed to me that many people do not realize that the title of a thread can be edited (by using the advanced option).
    So if you make a spelling mistake or just realize the title is just plain invective you can change it.

Don't forget, what you title your thread also effects search results.

Good thread

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by itchybitz View Post
    If I may add one thing, it's always seemed to me that many people do not realize that the title of a thread can be edited (by using the advanced option).
    So if you make a spelling mistake or just realize the title is just plain invective you can change it.

Don't forget, what you title your thread also effects search results.

Good thread

sure?????
    try it so many times....it never works....
    how many times i want to add a (Update) to the title and nothing EVER happen there.....

Thanks for creating this thread, great suggestions. I dont even bother reading threads with mysterious titles, dont have time for that. I use the search fuction a lot so good wording means good results :-)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Seth-Haveron View Post
    sure?????
    how many times i want to add a (Update) to the title and nothing EVER happen there.....
    Well, you have to go back to the very first post in the thread to change the title. Changing the title on a later post won't work.

David
    My Trade Feedback

"I'm afraid of spiders... and women... and spider women!"

Quote Originally Posted by Seth-Haveron View Post
    sure?????

You have to be the original poster (or Admin) to do it. As far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman57 View Post
    Well, you have to go back to the very first post in the thread to change the title. Changing the title on a later post won't work.

David
    Yes, I really should have mentioned that. I figured it out the hard way

I saw the title and was going to say "get off your soap box" BUT you have a very good point, I haven't been around as much as usual recently due to other hobbies, however if what you have pointed out is becoming a problem then it should be addressed to help clean up the threads as the Moderators have enough to worry about.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Thank you for your comment, Alex. I didn't want to come across as "Mister High-and-Mighty", trying to tell the other members how to do things. I was just trying to be helpful, and my aim was to make the OSW experience a little bit better for everyone. I hope that intent came through in my original post.

David
    My Trade Feedback

It did and it deserves a sticky.

CHEERS!

Proper spelling and grammar. The first, I thank the spell checker in these infernal computer machines! Grammar? Failed it in elementary school! It has taken 63 years for me to write something that people can understand. English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Believe me, I was born here (Texas) and at times I still have problems with my English and Spanish.
    When we see what is written from a collector of a different country, we can see where they are writing from. (Where does 99.9% of our collections come from anyway?).
    I say give them a pass. They are fellow collectors. We know what they are trying to say.If not, and you are interested, ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Proper spelling and grammar. The first, I thank the spell checker in these infernal computer machines! Grammar? Failed it in elementary school! It has taken 63 years for me to write something that people can understand. English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Believe me, I was born here (Texas) and at times I still have problems with my English and Spanish.
    When we see what is written from a collector of a different country, we can see where they are writing from. (Where does 99.9% of our collections come from anyway?).
    I say give them a pass. They are fellow collectors. We know what they are trying to say.If not, and you are interested, ask them.
    Maybe the guidelines should say something like "To the best of your ability, make some effort to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate properly" and maybe they should say "The "Preview Post" button is there for a reason, use it."

I think everyone totally understands with respect to posters for whom English isn't a first language and they get a complete pass from me. English wasn't my first language either. The things that highwayman57 is targeting aren't language skills, they're generally just carelessness, like not bothering to use capitals or punctuation. So it's more of an effort / manners issue. You can use spellcheck but it won't catch "there" and "it's" vs "their" and "its," so fix those by hand. Don't let Autocorrect on a phone or tablet, or imperfect Voice-Dictation, mess up your post without checking before you hit Send. That sort of thing.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    Maybe the guidelines should say something like "To the best of your ability, make some effort to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate properly" and maybe they should say "The "Preview Post" button is there for a reason, use it."

I think everyone totally understands with respect to posters for whom English isn't a first language and they get a complete pass from me. English wasn't my first language either. The things that highwayman57 is targeting aren't language skills, they're generally just carelessness, like not bothering to use capitals or punctuation. So it's more of an effort / manners issue. You can use spellcheck but it won't catch "there" and "it's" vs "their" and "its," so fix those by hand. Don't let Autocorrect on a phone or tablet, or imperfect Voice-Dictation, mess up your post without checking before you hit Send. That sort of thing.
    You're quite correct MAM; when I see a post by one of our members for whom English is a second language, I tend to disregard any errors that may have been made. That said, I feel it will be easier for them if those of us who are native English speakers try our best to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation in our own posts. Let me explain; most of them have probably taken structured classes in English where the strict foundations of the language were taught; they tend to better understand English if it is used properly, which in many cases here at OSW it isn't. Also, if the ESL speaker is using a translation app like Google Translate, our posts will tend to be more accurately translated, instead of ending up as a string of gibberish in their native tongue.

As far as native English speakers go, many of us have gotten lazy or forgetful when it comes to the rules of our own language. Things like using the word "loose" when you mean "lose", or adding apostrophes where they're incorrect (DVD's is not the plural of DVD, DVDs is), can be easily remedied with just a little bit of work.

Perhaps there are those who do not wish to make the effort; that's their choice entirely.

I'm not here to belittle anyone, I'm just trying to suggest some changes that will help improve the OSW experience for everyone.

David
    Last edited by highwayman57; 05-26-2015 at 14:09.
    My Trade Feedback

English can be difficult to learn.....for instance, the word "read" can be pronounced reed, or red, so care must be taken when used in written form....
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Vince, I fully understand your concerns. I've made a slight change to the original post:
    Please attempt (to the best of your ability to do so) to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate properly.
    As far as the ESL-speaking members of OSW are concerned, I tend to give them a pass anyway. I know that learning a second language can be difficult (I studied both German & Russian in high school), and that sometimes errors will be made when posting in a different tongue. That said, I still believe that those of us who are native English speakers should put forth a little more effort when we try to post.

I'm not the grammar police, and I have no intention of picking apart posts to expose flaws in spelling, punctuation, etc.; I just want things to go a little easier around here for all of us. Fair enough?

David
    Last edited by highwayman57; 05-27-2015 at 08:44.
    My Trade Feedback

I just want to add a little thing: How to compose a proper sentence.

Please put a capital letter to start a sentence. Did school teach us that?

...because this is so hard to read. and if you don't put capital letter at beginning, it's hard to understand. because you didn't put capital letter. and when you don't put capital letter it means you don't know how to write. it's only an exemple. do you get my point? is it clear how? is it clear to read? ok thank you very much. see you soon.

I'm not the grammar police, and I have no intention of picking apart posts to expose flaws in spelling, punctuation, etc.; I just want things to go a little easier around here for all of us. Fair enough?

David
    David, one of the compliments I can pay your Guidelines is to say that they are drafted completely in the same reasonable, intelligent, respectful and nonconfrontational style that you recommend for all posts generally.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    David, one of the compliments I can pay your Guidelines is to say that they are drafted completely in the same reasonable, intelligent, respectful and nonconfrontational style that you recommend for all posts generally.
    Thank you very much, MAM; I consider that high praise indeed!

David
    My Trade Feedback

well i can't spell very good. that is one of the reasons i don't post any thing or coment on others posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung View Post
    --

SO . . .

Abbreviations such as . . . (for example)

AFAIK | As far as I know
    IMHO | In my humble opinion
    POS | Piece of $%^&
    WTF! | What the <CENSORED>!
    IDK | I don't know

Would be better served and utilized if completely written out?

I'm just asking.
    I think those would be called acronyms, not abbreviations.
    I'm talking about the use of "ppl" for "people", "L8r" for "later", etc, etc.
    They are unnecessary for this forum, where there is space and time to spell it out.

.......... English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Believe me, I was born here (Texas) and at times I still have problems with my English and Spanish.
    I say give them a pass. They are fellow collectors. We know what they are trying to say. If not, and you are interested, ask them.
    I, too, always let it slide when someone is posting from outside the USA.
    The trouble is, I see BETTER posts from people overseas than some posters from here! I'll see a horribly written post and think, "Wow, I wonder where they are from?", look at "Location", and they are from one of the lower 48.

Quote Originally Posted by minto View Post
    well i can't spell very good. that is one of the reasons i don't post any thing or coment on others posts
    Can you use capital letters?
    "Grant us wisdom from Thy mind, courage from Thine heart, strength from Thine arm, and protection by Thine hand. It is for Thee that we do battle, and to Thee belongs the victor's crown. For Thine is the kingdom, & the power & glory forever, Amen." SF Prayer

Just a brief note: I've made a few small changes to the original post, which in no way alter the overall intent, but soften the tone a bit in some areas. I think it's about as good as I can write it on my own, but if there are any suggestions, please do not hesitate to post them.

Also, several people have commented that they believe that this should be made a "Please Read" thread at the top of the main page; how many of you concur with that assessment? We've already had one admin state that he liked the post, but perhaps more opinions are needed to make it a top-of-the-page "Please Read" thread.

Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by highwayman57; 05-27-2015 at 09:12.
    My Trade Feedback

Also, several people have commented that they believe that this should be made a "Please Read" thread at the top of the main page; how many of you concur with that assessment? We've already had one admin state that he liked the post, but perhaps more opinions are needed to make it a top-of-the-page "Please Read" thread.

Thanks,
    David
    --

"Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Does anyone else have an opinion... good, bad, or indifferent?

David
    My Trade Feedback

Ok i am out of here. when i frist came here this was a fun place. know all of a sudden it is like being back in school again some of us have learning disabilitys. who cares if you think the poster should of labeled there post difrently or spelled some words wrong.

Congratulations, it's a sticky!

I'm one of those who even uses full English in text messages.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Congratulations, it's a sticky!

I'm one of those who even uses full English in text messages.

CHEERS!
    Me too, and if you have a smart phone it's actually easier.

Don't you hate when people post on forums as tough they were in a chat room - where speed counts.

I don't own a smartphone, my mobile is for outgoing emergency calls only. I don't need everyone to know where I am 24/7. If I'm at home, chances are I'm near to or on my computer. The landline downstairs has an answerphone if anyone is that desperate to reach me.

CHEERS!

Does anyone else have an opinion... good, bad, or indifferent?

David
    Just one suggestion. After looking at the thread at the top of the sticky section and trying to imagine how I might view it as a noob, I think it could be a little friendlier if you replaced "a proper" with "an effective" as in:
    Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post.

Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by itchybitz View Post
    Just one suggestion. After looking at the thread at the top of the sticky section and trying to imagine how I might view it as a noob, I think it could be a little friendlier if you replaced "a proper" with "an effective" as in:
    Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post.

Just a thought
    Hmm... let me mull that one over for a bit... thanks, Nigel.

David
    My Trade Feedback

After a bit of thought, how about changing the title to simply "Tutorial: How to compose a thread title and post"?

EDIT: Or should it be as Nigel has suggested? Or should it be left as is?

Yes or no? LMK!

David
    Last edited by highwayman57; 05-28-2015 at 17:28.
    My Trade Feedback

Let me say this. I really like it that the Guidelines avoid any imperative or smug or confrontational tone. I know how hard that is to do because when I was trying to make a couple of suggestions above, I saw how easy it would be for me to fall into that.

That being said, the word "proper" in the title does have a slight whiff of the imperative. I think it gets defused when people read the actual guidelines, but some people may have a sensitive first reaction, like our friend Minto above whose feelings seem to have been hurt a bit. But I think there should definitely still be an adjective in the title, and for two reasons:

(1) firstly "Tutorial: How to compose a thread title and post" sounds more like it's going to be technical about using the software rather than about style; and (2) secondly, just telling people "how to do it" actually sounds more smug than suggesting how they could do it better.

I actually think itchybitz's "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post" nails it.