One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post

14K views 77 replies 33 participants last post by  ben_john7 
#1 · (Edited)
Several fellow OSW members and I have noticed lately that there has been a rash of new threads with vague or misleading titles & posts. Often it has been new members who have done this, but some veteran members are also at fault. The problem with this is that people who are looking for help or who have questions often miss out on getting the help or answers they seek. To help alleviate this problem, here are some tips to help properly put together an effective thread title & post.

Be Precise If your thread title is simply "Help", "Help Needed", or "Question", you may get several views of your thread, but no solid help or answers. Instead, put into your thread title what you are looking for, in as few words as is necessary. For example, if you want help with outfitting a figure of a British soldier in the Crimea in 1854, using "British Uniform" as your thread title is too vague; instead, try something like "Need help with British uniform in Crimea, 1854". That way, you will likely catch the attention of our resident experts on the British military who can answer your questions.

Use Proper Spelling and Grammar Although this forum is U.S.-based, it has an international membership, and many of them learned English as a second language; it's also likely that some of them write it better than you do, even though you may be a native speaker. Please attempt (to the best of your ability to do so) to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate effectively. For example, capitalize proper nouns: it's John Wayne, not "john wayne", and it's WWII, not "wwii". Also, know the difference between "there", "their", and "they're", as well as "your" and "you're" (particular pet peeves of mine).

Be Concise Please get to the point. If you're asking a question, ask it, then close up your post. If someone who replies needs more info, then you can post a reply with the needed info.

Do Some Research Before Posting If you want to know what the going rate is for an out-of-production Hot Toys or Soldier Story figure, please check eBay first before posting here. If you want to know when the Woodland BDU was first issued, then please check Google or Wikipedia. If you can't find the answer in those places, then post here.

Be Polite It should go without saying that this is a high priority around OSW. Compared to another well-known forum (which shall remain nameless), we're a pretty darned nice bunch of folks around here, and we appreciate the same treatment in return. For example, if you have something complimentary to say about a kitbash, please go ahead and post it. On the other hand, if you have nothing nice to say, please consider carefully what you post. When offered in a friendly manner, constructive criticism is often welcomed; if you can point out any inaccuracies or offer advice to improve something, it is generally appreciated. When posting an opinion about a manufacturer's products, honest opinions (either good or bad) are valued by the members, so feel free to let your true feelings be known; just be aware of the fact that some manufacturers are members here too.

In closing, I didn't write this to demean or denigrate anyone here, it was just written as a (hopefully) helpful guide to make things go a bit more smoothly around here. I hope I haven't offended anyone, I sincerely just want to help make OSW a better experience for everyone, whether a new member or a veteran.

David

See less See more
#57 ·
Re: Tutorial: How to compose a proper thread title & post

Does anyone else have an opinion... good, bad, or indifferent?

David
Just one suggestion. After looking at the thread at the top of the sticky section and trying to imagine how I might view it as a noob, I think it could be a little friendlier if you replaced "a proper" with "an effective" as in:
Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post.

Just a thought:)

#53 ·

Ok i am out of here. when i frist came here this was a fun place. know all of a sudden it is like being back in school again some of us have learning disabilitys. who cares if you think the poster should of labeled there post difrently or spelled some words wrong.

#67 · (Edited)

Ok i am out of here. when i frist came here this was a fun place. know all of a sudden it is like being back in school again some of us have learning disabilitys. who cares if you think the poster should of labeled there post difrently or spelled some words wrong.
I am not sure if this is some of you guys messing around, but if not, then it is very sad to read!
I hate the thoughts of anyone being made to feel left out of our great forum, and hobby!

I can see where you fellas are going with this, and generally what you're trying to do, and i think it's fine, but personally speaking, if i can understand what a guy is saying (even if it takes a little working out, then i am OK with that)

I just hope that some members who, let's say, just don't have the same intellect or vocabulary range as the rest of us don't start backing off because they feel uncomfortable. :poke

Just my thoughts,

Neil.

#56 ·

I don't own a smartphone, my mobile is for outgoing emergency calls only. I don't need everyone to know where I am 24/7. If I'm at home, chances are I'm near to or on my computer. The landline downstairs has an answerphone if anyone is that desperate to reach me.

CHEERS!

#60 ·

Let me say this. I really like it that the Guidelines avoid any imperative or smug or confrontational tone. I know how hard that is to do because when I was trying to make a couple of suggestions above, I saw how easy it would be for me to fall into that.

That being said, the word "proper" in the title does have a slight whiff of the imperative. I think it gets defused when people read the actual guidelines, but some people may have a sensitive first reaction, like our friend Minto above whose feelings seem to have been hurt a bit. But I think there should definitely still be an adjective in the title, and for two reasons:

(1) firstly "Tutorial: How to compose a thread title and post" sounds more like it's going to be technical about using the software rather than about style; and (2) secondly, just telling people "how to do it" actually sounds more smug than suggesting how they could do it better.

I actually think itchybitz's "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post" nails it.

#61 ·

Let me say this. I really like it that the Guidelines avoid any imperative or smug or confrontational tone. I know how hard that is to do because when I was trying to make a couple of suggestions above, I saw how easy it would be for me to fall into that.

That being said, the word "proper" in the title does have a slight whiff of the imperative. I think it gets defused when people read the actual guidelines, but some people may have a sensitive first reaction, like our friend Minto above whose feelings seem to have been hurt a bit. But I think there should definitely still be an adjective in the title, and for two reasons:

(1) firstly "Tutorial: How to compose a thread title and post" sounds more like it's going to be technical about using the software rather than about style; and (2) secondly, just telling people "how to do it" actually sounds more smug than suggesting how they could do it better.

I actually think itchybitz's "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post" nails it.
Hmm, when you put it that way, I can see the point of altering the title.

I will follow itchybitz's suggestion and change the thread title to "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title and post".

Many thanks to both of you!

David

#63 ·
Great suggestions!

Since I am new here--just joined today--it's always nice to know what is expected of members upfront. Having an understanding of how to draw the experts in to answer your question(s) is the key to success. From here on out, my threads will imitate a bug zapper so as to attract all the experts.

Even though I am not too familiar with forums, with my passion for 1:6 returning, I have a feeling I will be perusing this site on a daily basis. This thread will guide me on my journey to awesome kitbashes, weathering, and whatever else I can click on.

#66 ·
Great suggestions!

Since I am new here--just joined today--it's always nice to know what is expected of members upfront. Having an understanding of how to draw the experts in to answer your question(s) is the key to success. From here on out, my threads will imitate a bug zapper so as to attract all the experts.

Even though I am not too familiar with forums, with my passion for 1:6 returning, I have a feeling I will be perusing this site on a daily basis. This thread will guide me on my journey to awesome kitbashes, weathering, and whatever else I can click on.
First off, welcome to OSW! :welcome

Be prepared to spend money like water, and grouse about the cost of new figures and loose parts :lol

Seriously though, I hope you find these tips that I've posted to be helpful. They were intended to make the OSW experience a bit better for everyone, whether a new member like yourself, or one of us old-timers.

Again, welcome and have fun here! :goodluck

David

#69 ·
In my time aboard, I have personally held that, if I could understand the intent, I didn't worry about some misspellings or misuse. That likely goes to being taught by a strict group of nuns, in my grade school days, and a resulting rebellious attitude.

At the same time, I know that others find some of the characteristics covered in this thread, to be distracting, and even irritating. David's approach seems reasonable enough (we have had far less polite postings in past years), so I see it as a positive effort.

As with most other subjects covered aboard, the best course (to my mind), is consideration, followed by use of the points, or not, according to one's own preference. After that, roll on, back to hobbying.

I hope that no one takes this to heart so much, that they feel that leaving is the only answer.

How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.

Marcus Aurelius

#70 ·
I hope that no one takes this to heart so much, that they feel that leaving is the only answer.
I think that maybe some people don't necessarily grasp that highwayman57 simply assembled some positive suggestions -- and maybe they're afraid that now they're going to start getting crazy fascist enforcement PMs like "Your last post confused 'there' for "their" in breach of the Guidelines - this is your First Official Warning." Once it settles in how the thread is just a gathering of recommendations, these Guidelines will be useful to those who find them so, and will simply be irrelevant to those who don't.

#74 ·
Something that members new and old could do would be to go to their User CP and add their location. I know a lot of you do, but, there are those that don't and maybe should. Many times you get a member asking where they can find something, it's far easier to make suggestions if we know where in the world they are.

There may be a retailer nearby which would help cut their shipping costs, or even a member in the same town where they could meet up. You can see now why that location is important.

CHEERS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.