One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Kitbash of the Month - some clarification - Added Guide to Linking Nominations

18K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  pukingdog 
#1 ·
Given a bit of a tempest in the October 2011 KotM poll, I will try to elaborate on the spirit and the intent of the Kitbash of the Month, as set out by the author.

In it's earlier years of existence, OSW has run contests which included prizes, sponsored by various dealers/distributors. A sufficient number of those concluded badly, and although the prizes were usually awarded (albeit with some delays, and even by money out of individuals' pockets), staff concluded that the problems far outweighed the enjoyment.
The conception of Kitbash of the Month as a recognition of outstanding works, nominated by fellow members, and having as it's "prize" if any, so-called "bragging rights", was intended to counter commercialized competitions. It was intended to be enjoyable, and as a showcase for all nominated.
Some tweaks and fixes were necessary. Misinterpretations had to be addressed early-on. One request which seemed harmless enough, was for an image attachment, a virtual medallion. That was done, and graciously generated by a member.
Even then, some believed that any "popularity contest" had more adverse results than good. Valid enough, given how it might be approached or seen, but as the original intent was representative, rather than some form of aggrandizement, the KotM was continued.

Since that time, a Kitbash of the Year has been included. The Kitbash of the Month has marched on, sometimes a few nominations, other times a large number. I believe that every time, genuinely good works do not get nominated, for reasons, none of which are spiteful or judgemental.

So the "rules of engagement" have been kept to a minimum:

RULES OF NOMINATION

_ One nomination per member nominating
_ Must have a good link to the nominated figure thread, not a pic
_ No self-noms
_ No nomination of figures previously nominated
_ No second-party works
_ No lobbying for votes

Self-noms were tossed out, as those were liable to manipulation, and not truly a recognition by fellow members.

Note that works which were missed in the past nominations are NOT disallowed. That one took some thinking over, but seemed within the spirit and intent.

Second-party works nominations were denied, after non-members' bashes were imported. Fine works, but not member works. Not such a draconian thing, as membership is open here.

With those few rules, the KotM has continued pretty fluidly, and in the original author's (not me) vision.

With the poll for October 2011, a new issue arose. One nominee (ironically the one I nominated) lobbied to numbers of members, for their votes. There were no posted rules against this, and yet it was the cause (rightfully so, I believe) of consternation and complaint. The reason for that reaction seems fairly straightforward, that is, a matter of "fairness".
I personally am inclined to believe that this was not an act of malice, but perhaps stemming from other reasons, including possible misinterpretation. As a result, to assuage the heated discussion, the figure has been removed from the poll. The running commentary was also edited out, although a complete version is in staff files.

It is perhaps not the first time such an incident has occurred, but the scale, and reaction to it, make it stand out. A new addition to the rules will address this.

And now that this has been related, I advocate that no further punitive actions be carried out, nor posted barbs be unleashed. The experience itself is, I trust, enough. The member body has, by and large, been a most reasonable and forgiving one.

Imperfect tho we may be, and we all are, in the end this is only a hobby. Sometimes learning that is uncomfortable for all parties.

"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it."
Marcus Aurelius

-----

See less See more
#11 ·
Re: Kitbash of the Month - some clarification

Davinator, as someone who knows what happened, trust me - you did NOT do this.
I know it wasn't me, and I don't think Jon. I just meant it as a joke. But it's sad when you have to campaign for your own KotM. I never knew that that existed until now. Sad...

#12 ·

First thing you want to do is to (make Kotm more fair) is take that dam "view voter poll" off, it should be completely anonymous.

#15 ·

A question... 'Must noms for KOTM be works that are posted within the month itself?'

Bcos I still see works posted a year back that are nominated for November 2011 KOTM and also works posted in December 2011... :think
No. I read it somewhere here (?). It has to have been never nominated.

#17 ·

Strange events.... missed that.

What I have read is that any bash, not having been nominated before, any time before the date of KOTM, can be nominated. That includes 2 weeks before, or 2 years, for example. Not just in that month alone. Am I correct here?

#19 ·

While reading this was somewhat reminiscent of the blind men describing an elephant, you have indeed found and decoded the answer to that riddle. As a matter of fact, the first nom was a work posted in December, so it needs to be nom'd for the next month's poll. [edit] - As was another.

#21 ·

Your nom stands, SFC-Dusty. Posted the last day of November, OSW time. My "blind men describing an elephant" comment was a bit of humor about the team effort at understanding what is understandably a possibly confusing rule.

#22 ·

Again, a bit more drama in the December poll.
See post number one. I edited it to include the rule that has been in effect since November 2011: _ No lobbying for votes.

It's simple enough. I can even put some of it down to "ignorance of the law". The thing is, it's a matter of personal integrity. It's possible others have done it before, and have not been found out. Just being nominated is an honor. I won't say it cheapens the contest, it does not take away from the appreciation of the work of others. It does mark those who would purposely breach the rules, and is a betrayal of those who would nominate and choose that work.

KotM will carry on, all that is asked is a bit of integrity on the part of all.

#23 ·

Suggestion.Some months have a large number of Nominations,others only a few.Have you given any thought to limiting the number of choices for a month?

If someone misses the number for a month,they can nominate it for the next month.Would make choosing a little easier.This month is very tough both on quantity and quality.

#24 ·

But the ideia is to have all nominated of the month... limiting the number of nominations will make guys lost interest in KoTM :(

#25 ·

What if we start counting nominations as well? For example nominated 14 times. Of course no lobbying. :poke

Or different categories like best historic figure, best modern, best fantasy etc...

#26 ·

What if we start counting nominations as well? For example nominated 14 times. Of course no lobbying. :poke

Or different categories like best historic figure, best modern, best fantasy etc...
You've just reminded me of something, and I have to be honest (and probably this might upset a few people...) but personally it annoys me when a piece of works is nominated and then several other posts with 'I also nominate x', 'yes I agree, I nominate x too'... and so on. You only need to nominate a piece of work ONCE for it to be included in the voting poll, by repeatedly nominating the same figure, it's a wasted nomination and it means some other people don't get a look in.

If someone has already nominated your first choice, have a look around, see if there is a good second choice to nominate instead (I know plenty of months there are soooo many to choose from, it can't be that hard!)

I see plenty of figures each month where people have ACTUALLY replied on the thread saying 'Wow, this is KOTM material!!' etc etc... and then don't bother to nominate it!

Anyway, minor rant over :)

#27 ·

Those issues I just put down to human nature - a tendency to skim over reading, as well as over-exuberant enthusiasm.

#34 ·
It would be easier to stop the ocean tides, than to halt multiple nominations of the same work.

As for those who have difficulty linking their choice, here is what you want to copy and paste. It is at the top of the page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.