+++NEW Rules Pertaining to Political Discussions+++ UPDATED 9-27-10

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: +++NEW Rules Pertaining to Political Discussions+++ UPDATED 9-27-10

+++NEW Rules Pertaining to Political Discussions+++ UPDATED 9-27-10

Please note that this new rule takes effect immediately and will apply to all members.

Due to the consistency in which the "no political discussion" rule is being blatantly broken, the Admins will now be implementing specific consequences for offending members.

Any member creating a political discussion, making or responding to a political comment, and/or discussing current political events will be subject to the following--

- 1st time: 30 day ban from the OSW
    - 2nd time: 90 day ban from the OSW
    - 3rd time: permanent ban from the OSW

This applies to any and all political statements-- no matter how large or small. It also includes responding to any political statement made by another member.

If another member makes a political statement, it is best to ignore that post as if it never existed.

Do not respond. Do not comment. Do not agree. Do not disagree. Just ignore.

As it pertains to figures with strong political ties, please discuss the figure ONLY. You may also discuss the factual history of the character, but not as it pertains to ANY political affiliation or history of that political party.

We really hope this will curb the possibility of future political discussions here on the OSW.

We have 5,000+ members from all around the globe who post on and read the OSW. We need to ensure that this is a place that is fun and safe to come to, where everyone can feel welcome.

We have these rules in order to avoid the OSW from turning into one of those sites were most of the threads become heated fights and silly name-calling that go on for pages and pages.

We hope that you understand and support our position here and that you will all do your best to keep the OSW a fun and welcoming site that everyone can enjoy.

Thanks for your time,
    OSW Staff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

Added Sept 27th, 2010

All members, please take note: The staff of OSW in NO WAY endorses any of the controversial figures that posted here. Nor by allowing their posting do we express any kind of agreement with actions of the person upon which they are based.

There is no need to state to us, or to others, that a particular historical figure, group, or political party is responsible for heinous actions. We are all well aware of these things. And just because we do not allow for the expression and discussion of such things does not mean that we (the Staff) are ignorant of them.

If you are upset, or offended, or hurt-- as many of the comments posted in there threads have lead me to believe-- by the production of a particular figure, and the person/party is represents, I would HIGHLY suggest that you DO NOT OPEN THAT THREAD!

Avoid it. Ignore it. Move on.

Do not force yourself into a state of disgust or anger and thereby the need to express it here.

We try to do our 100% best to give as much freedom as possible while still maintaining a fun and creative atmosphere for everyone. But we can only do so much. Ultimately, the individual members have the true control of their experiences here. There's no need to open a thread and subject yourself to something that you personally believe will upset you. Only you can control that.

Once again, I thank everyone for their continued co-operation.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

Added June 2nd, 2011

A note on political/historical comments/statements--

To all members,

Topics like these (to put it in simple terms: "historical bad guys") are the ones that ignite the most problems for the Admins. I have some food for thought that may help all of you understand our position...

While your posted thoughts/statements may not be in direct violation of the rules; the thoughts that you've posted may (and often will) cause others to expand and comment on them further-- and THAT'S when the trouble begins.

Our experience doing this "job" has made these types of "fuze lighting" comments extremely easy to spot, and we will always err on the side of caution rather than judging each comment/member individually.

So, if you see that your comment/post has been edited or deleted, keep the above thoughts in mind as to the reason why that action was taken.

I think this can clear up a lot of confusion among the members and, hopefully, will give you pause the next time you decide to post something that might stray a little too closely to that "edge".
    Last edited by GrenadierStinny; 06-11-2011 at 18:13.
    Don't miss my new TOY BLOGS!===> http://toy-history.blogspot.com/----and-----http://toynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: +++NEW Rules Pertaining to Political Discussions+++

Bit of an ambiguity here maybe--what constitutes a "political comment"?
    Hopefully it includes the interminable comments, by people who have no intention of buying, say, the new 3R Nazi, that not only won't they be buying "any bit of it", they "don't understand why anybody would"?
    In other words, constant snidey comments (that may or may not be deemed political!) that are attempts to deride, undermine, belittle or otherwise sideline or cast out members who don't mind the figure and may or will be buying it.

Do snipes constitute political comments? Hint--(figure) was scum: you buy (it)--you're scum as well.

There are always gray areas that will require a certain bit of discretion on the part of the Admins, but I would say that the comments you are using as examples (which I too have seen posted on certain types of figures) are being posted in response to the person's (on which the figures is based) political affiliation, or their actions as a person.

The point is to discuss that quality of the FIGURE-- not the PERSON.

One-time offenders would probably receive a warning, a second offense would-- without doubt-- warrant a temporary ban from the OSW.
    Don't miss my new TOY BLOGS!===> http://toy-history.blogspot.com/----and-----http://toynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Last edited by Argus; 09-13-2010 at 17:30. Reason: .
    "Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of [s]tupidity." ~Frank Leahy

The 'no political comments' rule has been up for a while and you agree to it when you sign up, I don't see how not complying to this rule shouldn't be punished. Personally I think the admins on here are pretty lenient compared to other forum's I've been on which mostly issue a instant and PERMENANT ban for rule breakers.

Its a shame this thread had to be started in the first place really.

You don't always know where you stand until you know that you won't run away

Any member creating a political discussion, making or responding to a political comment, and/or discussing current political events will be subject to the following...

Most historic/current events are political events.

Are threads commemorating a historic/relatively current event (or those that serve) be considered starting a political discussion? If not why? "One man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist" applies to both uniformed and nonuniformed combatants. I can easily see someone from ____stan considering any thread commemorating troops as a "political discussion".

Will the 1:1 section be closed? There is often discussion there where some consider the decisions on what equipment is issued is based on politics. Isn't that political discussion?

Wouldn't it be ironic that we ban any discussion of those that guarantee those freedoms?

What about alternative history threads or any threads dealing with irregular forces? Is calling one's bash a "freedom fighter" or "terrorist/insurgent" initiating a political discussion? A response to the figure's title would be a political discussion in response to the use of the term. Do they both get suspended?

Are discussions about the cost of figures political discussions? Those get pretty involved on how capitalism works. Isn't discussion about capitalism political? As a business owner there are plenty of comments in those threads that are offensive or ignorant about how capitalism works.

I can understand discussions that demean a politician, his/her decisions or the party's position being inflammatory and nothing to do with 1:6 hence the understandable suspension.

I don't want to make the moderating job any more difficult than it already is. I don't want to be suspended either. Without clarifying when a historic event becomes a political event and hence commenting making it a political discussion I can see folks being suspeneded based on "if" a mod is offended or not.

I said it before, i am saying it again. Create a sub-forum for politcal discussions, make it private/invite only so it doesnt show up/is inaccessible unless you deliberatly chose to take part.

People can have their discussions, it keeps the political stuff out of the open and everybody is happy.

Yes yes, it's a privately owned forum, it is about figures, but the matter of fact is, like Rod said, Toys are an Industry and alot of the figures relate to politics one way or another.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

Paladin, if you want that, go to another forum for it. This is an action figure forum. Not a political discussion forum. that kind of discussion has no place here. So setting up a sub forum for it makes no sense.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. Wanted, Dead or Alive.

Just because a figure is based on a certain view doesn't mean the view itself is in question. 99% of people will simply say how good or bad the figure is and leave the certain 'views' alone.

To the same effect: just because you own a NAZI figure, doesn't mean you believe in NAZI views.

I totally agree with Hollowpoint.

Reaper - Agree with you. If you want to collect Nazis that's fine by me personally. The problem is that war ended 65 years ago and who is the good/bad guy isn't up for discussion. The history is written. Not the same for other subjects. Also CLEARLY if you start the thread with a figure the thread is ABOUT the figure.

Hollowpoint - Why do we have 1:1 discussion section if this is about 1:6 figures? There are PLENTY of other forums that discuss real world gear? Of course it adds to the "why we are interested" in the hobby.

Why do we have remeberance threads for certain holidays?

I'm not saying add a section (though not a bad idea). I'm saying discussions/portrayals of current events has a political aspect. Trying to make a rule about no political discussion without clearly defining what's political can lead to unintentional suspensions based on a subjective definition.

Check out my questions above. One very cooly bashed alternative history figure titled "storm trooper" with the guy wearing the President's campaign logo on an armband could be considered political discussion, no? The way that figure is equipped, ethnicity, pose can all determine the fate of the poster with no discussion necessary.

I am not going to turn this into a debate. If you can't intelligently discern a political statement from a futuristic figure wearing a presidential seal, and post some retarded crap about it being a political statement, you just may find yourself (meaning the poster that tried to make it a politcal statement) on a unpaid vacation from the OSW. Simply put, use some common sense.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. Wanted, Dead or Alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
    I am not going to turn this into a debate. If you can't intelligently discern a political statement from a futuristic figure wearing a presidential seal, and post some retarded crap about it being a political statement, you just may find yourself (meaning the poster that tried to make it a politcal statement) on a unpaid vacation from the OSW. Simply put, use some common sense.
    Relax. No need to get aggressive.

/edit: And i will drop out of the non-existent debate otherwise i get aggravated myself and it's really not worth it. Your playground, your toys, your rules.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

Hollowpoint - Sorry, I was confused. Thought you wanted to have an intelligent discussion not blind obedience. I stand corrected. No further comment.

Victorville, CA. Yeh, the middle of no where.

O_O Eek..

So good behavior then??? O_O

Does'nt using the phrase "post some retarded crap" exclude the "use of common sense" and could be administered as "silly name-calling" and a political discussion re the rights of the disabled?

p.s. Where do I apply for a paid holiday?
    "They came looking for a fight to the death, so we obliged"

I self edited my first post in this thread because I felt I came off a bit snide. But it's very hard to keep my opinion to myself. I'll try a bit harder this time to be diplomatic. What I object to is the sudden severity of this judgement. I thought the Admin did a great job in the past cleaning up the political posts before a thread derailed too far. But I understand it can be time consuming to have to constantly play referee, so it is certainly easier for the Admin to adopt a zero tolerance approach.

Finally, its easy to see who the heavies are in the Admin. It's ironic that when members of this forum step out of line and are overly sarcastic or rude, they are censored or the post is edited, but certain admin can be outright rude and it's perfectly ok? Practice what you preach because some of you come off like bullies.

Having said that, this is a great forum and I enjoy visiting. I understand the ever present threat of "if I don't like the rules, don't participate," but somethings just need to be said.

Hollowpoint let me make it clear to you: you frequently come off like a self important cyber bully, who because of his volunteer position always has the last word. And those words are usually rude. Certain other (more diplomatic) Admin often advise members to "think before they post" and that is something you really, really should heed.
    "Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of [s]tupidity." ~Frank Leahy

It's very clear to me what the mods are asking us not to do; some of you guys are thinking way too deeply on this one.

Don't talk politics--NO POLITICS.

It's crystal clear to me.

Major Rod--

1:1 will not be shut down. It's a perfectly relatable topic to most of the figures that are shown and discussed here-- as long as it doesn't involve politics.

The Off-Topic section, trade section, reference section (all of which are not 1/6 topics) will also remain open-- with the rule of: no political discussion.

And, while the topic of politics are also relatable to a lot of the figures discussed here as well, that is a topic that is off-limits on this forum.

In short, there will be no changes made to the OSW. This, in fact, is not a change, either. There has always been zero tolerance on this subject. The only change is in the Admins making clear-cut and specific repercussions for the violation of this rule.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

As for what qualifies as a "political discussion", it would be best to err on the side of caution if you think that the comments you are about to post will qualify as creating a political discussion.

I personally could not think of all the many ways a person could create or post a statement or feeling that is political. The ways are too varied and numerous to sit and type out every possible example. But I'm going to believe that we can all understand where the line is drawn.

If you're uncertain of which side of the line something you want to post may fall, PM me personally and I will do my best to help out any member.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

Please remember, the goal of this rule is not to rob members of their "rights", but rather to maintain a peaceful and welcoming environment for all; free of attacks, fighting, and all-around keyboard smashing. That is why we also have just as strong a stance towards making rude, derogatory, or snide/baiting remarks towards other members, as well.

It's all meant to keep the peace.
    Last edited by GrenadierStinny; 09-13-2010 at 20:34. Reason: added content

hhhk
    Last edited by Steviebaby; 09-14-2010 at 05:56. Reason: whatever

#Unsubscribe's from thread#

The string of replies to the original posting illustrate clearly why the rules have been in place, and have had to be repeated. No matter how thoughtful, earnest, and worded such discussions are, they will inevitably break down.

The remembrance thread began well enough, but importing personal anger and frustration to it was a shameful act. Thus, the rules were re-stated, in lieu of darkening the moment further by removing offending members.
    Now this thread would be employed as a stump for protest and declarations. That needs to end now.

Mike
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

I would just like to say that GrenadierStinny has the best aptitude for TACT I have ever seen. Props GS, and are you by chance a speech writer in your 1:6 off time??

EDIT - Your not so bad yourself PD

I must say I do find it tedious to hear the: "Who would buy that...he is such a bad bad man..."

And yes, there often seems to be an implicit criticism pointed at anyone who would consider buying a controversial figure. Apart from the suggestion being offensive, it is simply philosophically simplistic.

>>>

I may be wrong (it's happened before), but I find it ironic that the war figures depicted here (any war) were engaged in wars that were inveriably started by politics/politicians, and not by the people that are depicted by the figures, who were the ones sent out to actually fight.

War & politics are eternally married to each other, no matter how we slice it.

What is REALLY irritating is the battles over the politics of the companies that make the figures. For instance: "That figure is crap because the company that makes it done me wrong"; "My favorite company''s figures are the greatest, don't waste your money buying that one"; "It's nothing but re-hash, why can't they make something that I want"; etc. etc, etc, ad nauseum. It's all politics.

I know...I know.....that still doesn't mean we have to discuss the political stuff, but.....just sayin', that's all.......

Done now.

I think that simply using common sense will probably go a long way. The moderators have never proven themselves to be blind ideologues ready to pounce on a member because the word "the" was misplaced in a sentence, thus potentially creating an "inferred" alternate meaning...

Come on people, they are talking about posts that say things like "Nazis/Communists/other ideology were great people with the right idea" or "<name of President, PM or other political figure here> is the antichrist, or those who espouse political philosophy X are evil/the best/whatever.

It's relatively straightforward to figure out if what you are going to post is political in a real-world sense. Obviously talking about the Galactic Empire from Star Wars is not going to get you banned. When in doubt, just err on the side of discretion. It's not rocket surgery.
    .... I'm a rooster illusion.....

"Come on people, they are talking about posts that say things like "Nazis/Communists/other ideology were great people with the right idea" or "<name of President, PM or other political figure here> is the antichrist, or those who espouse political philosophy X are evil/the best/whatever."

I don't believe that's what happens, in the main, to cause aggravation.
    I can't recall seeing a post that espoused anything others would find horrific. (I may be wrong, being a Noob)
    What I think is meant is people posting stuff that they're OK with, that others are actively hostile towards. In other words, insinuations are made, one way or another, that the post in question should have a disclaimer at the front (like you see in eBay ads, ad nauseam), to the effect that the poster is apologising for the post, and doesn't agree with the ideology of the person the figure represents.
    In other other words, some people feel (on noting the lack of disclaimer) that some negative reminder is not only therefore required, but compulsory.

So, bottom line, not (as Piesix suggests) people posting inappropriate positive opinions, but people reacting to the absence of "appropriate" condemnation!
    Neutral (in this subject, apparently) not acceptable, in some quarters.
    There. Finished. I think.