I mean this as no offense to anyone, I just want to address something I have been noticing popping up again lately.
In this day, the new local pub has become internet chat boards. Placing where you can hang out with your friends, talk about common interests, share stories, hobbies and the like. Too many people seem to take a persona on a board that they may not have in person. I call this the "keyboard cowboy" syndrom. To put it bluntly, NO ONE likes a keyboard cowboy. I can sum up the best way to be a "decent human being" on this board in two words: be NICE and MATURE. OK, technically 4, but hey...
For the purpose of this thread, I'm going to relate it to OSW and other action figure boards.
1. When stating a "fact", site some sources. You'll find you really only have to do this once or twice before people will start believing you. If you spent time in the military, say so. Tell us your unit or what you did. Don't make things up, you will eventually be found out. Also, if you "heard" something, say so. You lose a lot of credit by stating something initially like a fact and then when proven wrong you say "well that's what I heard". Also, like it or not, if you are not an adult, be prepared to back up your "fact" with proof. Proof isn't "my cousin's sister's boyfriend's uncle's room mate said so and he was in SEAL Team 47!" Like it or not, adults are less likely to believe a kid than an adult with real world experience. Fair? Nope. True? Yup.
2. On a related note, use of proper grammar and spelling gives you A LOT more credit than you realize. I understand English is not a 1st language to some of you, that is totally different. What I'm talking about are people that have English as a first language and use "internet" grammar, horrible spelling, and no puncuation. This isn't an Instant Message. Type your post like you would an email.
3. BE NICE! Here is the biggie. If you are correcting someone, do it nicely. We all recognize that if you use ALL CAPS you are emphasizing something. So if you go to correct someone and some of the first words out of your mouth are WRONG! or SORRY or NOPE, that is basically an attack. This goes for kids as well as adults. Simply correct them as nicely as possible or state your differing opinion. I know some people get all excited about correcting someone, but it doesn't win you many arguements that way. Or many friends.
Also, if you see a bash you don't like or think downright sucks, keep your damn mouth shut! What good does it do ANYONE for you to say "that's ugly!" or "that sucks!" You just hurt someone's feelings and realistically, what has it done for you? If that actually makes you feel good, you need help. I've heard some say "well why beat around the bush, if their bash sucks, tell them so. It will help them." How in the world does it help them? If they constantly put these types of bashes up, they obviously don't care. Why point it out every time? You may want your bashes to 1000% accurate down to knowing what underwear the troop had on that day, but not everyone else does. Don't force-feed your views on that person. If the person is new, you may very well have just ruined the hobby for someone.
On another related note, saying "Nice bash" and then listing 10 things you think they should fix or you think would be better, isn't much better than just listing what you would have done differently. Most of us like suggestions now and then, but there are people on this board that constantly say "Nice/Great bash BUT..." It's not cool.
You may also notice that if you are either of that kind of person, your bashes and threads don't get the same traffic and comments others do. Gee, I wonder why.
Don't argue or correct on mundane things. Did someone call a bash a Delta when it is actually a DEVGRU? Who cares? Is it a good bash? Than who cares? Did someone mislabel a guy Delta that is wearing a Navy SEAL patch? Fine, point it out, no need to be a jerk about it. This goes with being nice and being mature...
Which is our next topic:
4. BE MATURE. This kind of relates to everything I just said. If someone corrects you, or gives you suggestions or you are correcting someone else, don't fly off the handle. This is directed at kids as well as adults. If you correct someone, again, don't say "WRONG!!!" Just kindly and MATURELY correct them. If someone corrects you or says ANYTHING you may not like, don't attack the person to start swearing. Personal attacks and swearing does not win you any respect.
5. Respect people and people will respect you. Take a look at some recently banned members and not so recently banned. They did not respect basically ANYONE on this board. Look where they are now?
These are not pointed at anyone or several people or even one particular post. If you took this personal or are offended, well maybe you ought to look inside and see why you did.
Anyways, enough of my ranting. Happy Holidays to ALL OSW members.