Secrets to being a decent human being on OSW - Page 2

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secrets to being a decent human being on OSW

It is kinda sad that a post like this even has to be made. But then again we are all different people from different backgrounds, so what might be common sense or courteous to one, might seem outrageous or unheard of to another.

Perhaps issues like these could be addressed at a chat night. And hopefully it won't degrade to a mudslinging match. If this is a community and we want it to flourish, perhaps these issues can be addressed.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. Wanted, Dead or Alive.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

HELL!!! Oh wait, its just Arizona in the summer
    Man, I am really happy with the support this thread got. I was worried it was going to turn into a flame war. I haven't even got one piece of hate mail! This place is the biggest there is and the best. If we can get a few of the bad apples to change their ways and grow-up (not meaning age-wise), this place would be a monster!

As the "put up or shut up", I couldn't agree more. In fact, a now banned member that shall remain nameless, harrassed me on AIM one night, disguising his identity, and just said that he posted at the Sniper's Nest and OSW. He told me my bashes sucked and his were infinitely better, in addition to personally attacking me, my bike club and my wife. When I asked what his screen name was so I could see, he refused. He just said he knew his were better and he didn't need to prove it. Whatever...

Also, while taking a picture and making a bash look just like it takes talent, I find some (and I mean only SOME) of the people that ONLY do that, I find don't have a lot of imagination. Now I'm talking about the ones that can't do a bash unless the can find a picture of it.

My thought basically is that I don't think my own bashes are good enough to criticize anyone else's. I like my bashes, I think they are good, but not good enough to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't do.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

Wise words Brian... I am well pleased that this is being discussed ( we could all benifit from a little introspection and thoughtful reflection when it comes to the way in which we treat and deal one another ) In regards to the comments voiced on the subject of accuracy - and more particularly those instances when it becomes a point of contention... I am relieved and reassured to see that we all bash for our own reasons ( sometimes we bash to reenact or recreate an individual or an era with an eye for the highest possible standard of accuracy - other times we create something new and different - that which appeals to us on a strictly personal or primarily esthetic level... and sometimes our bashes combine a little of the accutrate and a little of the fantastic ) It's all about the process - and more importantly the satisfaction that we all derive not only from our own creative endevors... but from the efforts of others and their willingness to share the fruits of their labors. Maybe now I will feel a little more confident about posting pics of my less than accurate ( flights of fancy ) figures... Of course there are those figures that I bent over backwards to refine and outfit to an historically accurate "T" And I will post those as well... Thanks again, not only to Brian for posting this thread and giving us all a firm - albiet warrented - and positively motivated behaviorial wake up call ( Golden Rule booster shot ) but thanks also to all who took a minute or two to share their thoughts and feelings on this important subject... Hey, and it's Christmas!

Thanks for reading this long winded speech ( is there a spell-check function somewhere nearby? ) -Mike
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I agree with Brian, and am encouraged by the fact that a lot of people here also agree with him on this issue.

Great discussion topic. Although I don't post all that much I do enjoy seeing all the bashes and reading about 1/6.
    I have found this board friendly and always enjoy posting bashes here even though they're PTO WWII. And I'm a former Marine Corps, VietNam Vet circa. 68-69
    Grammer: Well you got me there. Sometimes Jarheads don't say that much. LOL
    Bashes: Just a word. It was my personal experience from VN that a lot of guys wore what they wanted. Course maybe it all depends how long the conflict lasts. The longer we're there the more chance that people tend to customize their attire and even weapons.
    Example: We had ROK ( Republic of Korea ) Marines. A Marine Corps friend of mine wore their Korean Uniform trousers. Why? Well cause he felt like it. After all they were what US Marines wore in the Korean War.
    Our C-Rats were actually from the Korean War era. The date was on the cans. 1953 or 4
    Anyway I'm not saying some units didn't keep strict Uniform of the Day rules, but lots of guys just wanted to express themselves in a different way.
    Kinda like, Talkin the Talk and Walkin the walk attitude.
    It's the Marine Corps way. LOL

Thanks for the opportunity Boys

"....always enjoy posting bashes here even though they're PTO WWII. "
    Ron, no reason to feel like WW2 isn't as good as any other subject. As I've tried to relate to some of the whelps here, it's a modern war, with radios and everything!

And don't change that hard-won character of yours, either. You're one of the bulwarks of reality, genuine, respected, and mannerly.
    Without an odd folkism, bit'o'slang, street jargon, and Chet's traditional grammarcide(which I understand clearly, I'm proud to say), we'd be overrun by freakin' English majors. And I know nobody wants that.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Hey Ron you just keep bashin them USMC PTO guys and I'll just keep on singin there praises ..................
    There are a few of us WWII guys out here in OSWland
    USMC CHET OSW Co-Founder
    John P. Hermesmeyer
    92-96 5th Marines 0311
    Semper Fi
    Ryan Bonaminio "Eagle MP" Gone but not forgotten

Caz. is offline Hi! Wait - who said that?
    3rd floor, 4th padded cell on the right. Take the main elevator.
    Ahhh Chet, it's 'their' not 'there'...

Well keeping with the subject of this post I was just browsing GPHQ and came across an old old thread of mine and a response to it that was posted almost 1 year after i made the post. Needless to say it is by a member of the forum that I have not seen any thing from as far as bashes or the likes. I was kind of torn on how to take his Praise/ critisisms (sp). He seems to know waht he is talking about but hey who knows on the WWW. Anyway he pretty much tore my bash apart with his critique but at the same time offered some info. While I spent countless hours before this bash researching every single bit of seemlessly unavailable info on the NZSAS I did the best with the pics info and kit I could scratch up. Try finding pics and info on the NZSAS and you will see what I mean. Wish you more luck than I had at the time. Anyway point is I poured hours of time and heart into the research of this bash that this guy ripped apart 10-11 months later. Oh well. I got more positve comments than I did negative and I have never seen this guy post one darn pic or at least not under that name. So Unforgiven I can understand your point on the subject of this post. Will it stop me from posting? HELL NO !!!! I love this Hobby and the drive it inspires in me. Take care guys.
    Oh by the way here is the post I am referring too
    My NZSAS bash

ummmmm If it's a Secret....

...Why are we talking about it? OK just kidding. Good points Brian.

Good thing that you brought it up Unforgiven. I think i know what you meant by all these lack of Nettiquette by the many online clowns out there. I was pretty hesitant about putting my pics up as well cos of the "Accuracy Nazi."

All in all, my experience here has been a great one so far, though I did hear alot of nasty things about the old OSW that kept me away for quite a while.

Keep this going everyone!
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. - Karl Marx

I just came across this...good time to revive it.
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by grizzerr
    I just came across this...good time to revive it.
    It was interesting to stop and read this after I'd just spent some time catching up at a war gaming forum where I'm no longer active. All good points; concise and seemingly common sense.

Remember people, Love is power, Power is love. Anyone seen my meds?

After reading Stinny's post, this may be a good time to bump this.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

Is it me or does this thread need to be reborn once a year? Over time I think we get "too" comfortable with each other.

Comfort can be a good thing. Comfortable with your friends, family, significant others... But when comfort starts to make you do things you know deep down are really not appropriate or having you taking advantage of each other, you are too comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint
    Is it me or does this thread need to be reborn once a year?
    I think it's been longer than a year, but it is time to be reborn. Arise mighty Phoenix!
    We are the music makers and the dreamers of dreams.

Re: Secrets to being a decent human being on OSW

Sometimes, a gentle reminder is necessary. Sometimes, you need a baseball bat.

timely post.

However, I have never felt that I have been the victim of rudeness or 1:6th scale snobbery. I enjoy the board, and everyone I have interacted with has been very pleasant.

Now, in order to establish my maturity as a married father of three who is closer to fifty than not, I will go play with the same toys I had forty years ago, but now I need reading glasses and tweezers, and a really good desk lamp!

thanks for the post Unforgiven
    "Yeah, well. The Dude abides."

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
    Sometimes, a gentle reminder is necessary. Sometimes, you need a baseball bat.

No hugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcase01 View Post
    No hugs?
    Here ya go buddy...
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Don't you slack jawed mommas boys have anything better to then yap like little doggies with a bone to big for ya?

Man next thing ya know we'll be holding hands in the shower and singing showtunes in the lunch line up.