One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Secrets to being a decent human being on OSW

12K views 52 replies 33 participants last post by  Just Clay 
#1 ·
I mean this as no offense to anyone, I just want to address something I have been noticing popping up again lately.

In this day, the new local pub has become internet chat boards. Placing where you can hang out with your friends, talk about common interests, share stories, hobbies and the like. Too many people seem to take a persona on a board that they may not have in person. I call this the "keyboard cowboy" syndrom. To put it bluntly, NO ONE likes a keyboard cowboy. I can sum up the best way to be a "decent human being" on this board in two words: be NICE and MATURE. OK, technically 4, but hey...

For the purpose of this thread, I'm going to relate it to OSW and other action figure boards.

1. When stating a "fact", site some sources. You'll find you really only have to do this once or twice before people will start believing you. If you spent time in the military, say so. Tell us your unit or what you did. Don't make things up, you will eventually be found out. Also, if you "heard" something, say so. You lose a lot of credit by stating something initially like a fact and then when proven wrong you say "well that's what I heard". Also, like it or not, if you are not an adult, be prepared to back up your "fact" with proof. Proof isn't "my cousin's sister's boyfriend's uncle's room mate said so and he was in SEAL Team 47!" Like it or not, adults are less likely to believe a kid than an adult with real world experience. Fair? Nope. True? Yup.

2. On a related note, use of proper grammar and spelling gives you A LOT more credit than you realize. I understand English is not a 1st language to some of you, that is totally different. What I'm talking about are people that have English as a first language and use "internet" grammar, horrible spelling, and no puncuation. This isn't an Instant Message. Type your post like you would an email.

3. BE NICE! Here is the biggie. If you are correcting someone, do it nicely. We all recognize that if you use ALL CAPS you are emphasizing something. So if you go to correct someone and some of the first words out of your mouth are WRONG! or SORRY or NOPE, that is basically an attack. This goes for kids as well as adults. Simply correct them as nicely as possible or state your differing opinion. I know some people get all excited about correcting someone, but it doesn't win you many arguements that way. Or many friends.

Also, if you see a bash you don't like or think downright sucks, keep your damn mouth shut! What good does it do ANYONE for you to say "that's ugly!" or "that sucks!" You just hurt someone's feelings and realistically, what has it done for you? If that actually makes you feel good, you need help. I've heard some say "well why beat around the bush, if their bash sucks, tell them so. It will help them." How in the world does it help them? If they constantly put these types of bashes up, they obviously don't care. Why point it out every time? You may want your bashes to 1000% accurate down to knowing what underwear the troop had on that day, but not everyone else does. Don't force-feed your views on that person. If the person is new, you may very well have just ruined the hobby for someone.

On another related note, saying "Nice bash" and then listing 10 things you think they should fix or you think would be better, isn't much better than just listing what you would have done differently. Most of us like suggestions now and then, but there are people on this board that constantly say "Nice/Great bash BUT..." It's not cool.

You may also notice that if you are either of that kind of person, your bashes and threads don't get the same traffic and comments others do. Gee, I wonder why.

Don't argue or correct on mundane things. Did someone call a bash a Delta when it is actually a DEVGRU? Who cares? Is it a good bash? Than who cares? Did someone mislabel a guy Delta that is wearing a Navy SEAL patch? Fine, point it out, no need to be a jerk about it. This goes with being nice and being mature...

Which is our next topic:

4. BE MATURE. This kind of relates to everything I just said. If someone corrects you, or gives you suggestions or you are correcting someone else, don't fly off the handle. This is directed at kids as well as adults. If you correct someone, again, don't say "WRONG!!!" Just kindly and MATURELY correct them. If someone corrects you or says ANYTHING you may not like, don't attack the person to start swearing. Personal attacks and swearing does not win you any respect.

5. Respect people and people will respect you. Take a look at some recently banned members and not so recently banned. They did not respect basically ANYONE on this board. Look where they are now?

These are not pointed at anyone or several people or even one particular post. If you took this personal or are offended, well maybe you ought to look inside and see why you did.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. Happy Holidays to ALL OSW members.

See less See more
#28 ·
Unforgiven5150... I am really glad you started this post . I have shyed away from posting modern bashes here for fear of "Accuracy Nazi's " trying to tear down my work and pride . It hasn't really happened to me , but I have seen some really un-constructive critisism of some of my fellow memebers. Having had such ignorant statement pointed in my direction before I know this can be quite a bummer , especially after you have worked for long hours trying to perfect your project . I could not agree with any one statemnt more than Matsuo's "Put up or shut up" . Granted there are some guys who are or have been active military , but that does not mean that they have seen everything . For instance ... I did a bash of a friend of mine who lives here in SD and is a SEAL . When he got back from deployment in Afghanistan he gave me an Auscam hodded smock that he traded with some Aussie guy (and wore for most of the time he was there )to re-sew/reinforce some of the pockets and such . Just imagine the possible firefight that would insue if I posted a US seal wearing an Auscam jacket? It would be percieved as blasphemy to some and I would be labelled a Heretic or Idiot or worse .(BTW...He IS my cousin's sister's boyfriend's uncle's room mate). I do not want to start bashing the board , more the "Desktop know it alls " . I would just like to remind you all that this is not militaryphotos.net . Last time I checked the tittle of the board was One Sixth Warriors ...Which to me means any 12' action figure that is a "Warrior" of any genre . Remeber...Just because you saw it on TV or read it somewhere , it does not mean that is always fact . It also does not mean that you have to be the first guy to flex your cyber testosterone on this board . At the same time , there are quite a few people that I have met via OSW and would like to consider friends . Some have checked me when I was out of line and some still do/say things (not to me) that if I was on the recieving end I most deffinitely would take offense to . Such as statements like : " That WOULD be a great bash but,in the photos these guys ONLY carry this weapon this way , so your bash is incorrect and would look better if it was redone my way " . If you have visual reference of a particular point ....Instead of critisizing and making it sound like you are the "be-all to end-all" of this topic ...Post the photos and think about the way you phrase your critisizm. I see so much trivial and rhetorical banter about whether some figure is a BLAH vs. a BLAHH and "BLAH's ONLY wear this"...It kills me . Granted, there are exceptions to uniforms and equppment that do not bend at all , but c'mon guys . I have found that most of the guys who stick to these kinds of arguments are the ones with very little talent or low self esteem , so they decide to pick at peoples work as to make themselves look more "knowledgeable" and rarely post their work ... Also ,realize that there are other boards out there just suited to your needs to be "that guy" .In any event ,there is an amazing amount of talent and information here and it would be nice if people just learned what my mom calls "how to be men" . If you have a critisizm ...Be a man and PM the person instead of beating your chest like a silverback gorilla (Similar to saying "Can I talk to you over here for a minute ?") It's usually the guy who is yelling and screaming the most that is in the wrong or is going to get his ass kicked. If you have a helpful hint or juicy bit of reference ....Just post it instead of trying to destroy someones ego . Sometimes it makes me think that some guys (the "know it alls") are jealous of the talent shown by the "know nots"

As far as spelling goes ....Please do not expect too much from me due to the fact that I am a lefthanded dyslexic .

#30 ·
Hi Brian, I remember the incidents that you have mentioned which drove you into "hiding" and stayed away from the old OSW. I invited you back to the new OSW because of all the great changes I've seen and I'm hoping that the experience have been/ and will bring continuing enjoyment for you.

I'm glad though, that this time, you decided to address the issue and bringing it to the forefront instead of hibernating again :b :)

A wonderful Christmas to one and all.

Peace........

#31 ·
It is kinda sad that a post like this even has to be made. But then again we are all different people from different backgrounds, so what might be common sense or courteous to one, might seem outrageous or unheard of to another.

Perhaps issues like these could be addressed at a chat night. And hopefully it won't degrade to a mudslinging match. If this is a community and we want it to flourish, perhaps these issues can be addressed.

#32 ·
Man, I am really happy with the support this thread got. I was worried it was going to turn into a flame war. I haven't even got one piece of hate mail! This place is the biggest there is and the best. If we can get a few of the bad apples to change their ways and grow-up (not meaning age-wise), this place would be a monster!

As the "put up or shut up", I couldn't agree more. In fact, a now banned member that shall remain nameless, harrassed me on AIM one night, disguising his identity, and just said that he posted at the Sniper's Nest and OSW. He told me my bashes sucked and his were infinitely better, in addition to personally attacking me, my bike club and my wife. When I asked what his screen name was so I could see, he refused. He just said he knew his were better and he didn't need to prove it. Whatever...

Also, while taking a picture and making a bash look just like it takes talent, I find some (and I mean only SOME) of the people that ONLY do that, I find don't have a lot of imagination. Now I'm talking about the ones that can't do a bash unless the can find a picture of it.

My thought basically is that I don't think my own bashes are good enough to criticize anyone else's. I like my bashes, I think they are good, but not good enough to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't do.

#33 ·
Wise words Brian... I am well pleased that this is being discussed ( we could all benifit from a little introspection and thoughtful reflection when it comes to the way in which we treat and deal one another ) In regards to the comments voiced on the subject of accuracy - and more particularly those instances when it becomes a point of contention... I am relieved and reassured to see that we all bash for our own reasons ( sometimes we bash to reenact or recreate an individual or an era with an eye for the highest possible standard of accuracy - other times we create something new and different - that which appeals to us on a strictly personal or primarily esthetic level... and sometimes our bashes combine a little of the accutrate and a little of the fantastic ) It's all about the process - and more importantly the satisfaction that we all derive not only from our own creative endevors... but from the efforts of others and their willingness to share the fruits of their labors. Maybe now I will feel a little more confident about posting pics of my less than accurate ( flights of fancy ) figures... Of course there are those figures that I bent over backwards to refine and outfit to an historically accurate "T" And I will post those as well... Thanks again, not only to Brian for posting this thread and giving us all a firm - albiet warrented - and positively motivated behaviorial wake up call ( Golden Rule booster shot ) but thanks also to all who took a minute or two to share their thoughts and feelings on this important subject... Hey, and it's Christmas!

Thanks for reading this long winded speech ( is there a spell-check function somewhere nearby? ) -Mike

#35 ·
Great discussion topic. Although I don't post all that much I do enjoy seeing all the bashes and reading about 1/6.
I have found this board friendly and always enjoy posting bashes here even though they're PTO WWII. And I'm a former Marine Corps, VietNam Vet circa. 68-69
Grammer: Well you got me there. Sometimes Jarheads don't say that much. LOL
Bashes: Just a word. It was my personal experience from VN that a lot of guys wore what they wanted. Course maybe it all depends how long the conflict lasts. The longer we're there the more chance that people tend to customize their attire and even weapons.
Example: We had ROK ( Republic of Korea ) Marines. A Marine Corps friend of mine wore their Korean Uniform trousers. Why? Well cause he felt like it. After all they were what US Marines wore in the Korean War.
Our C-Rats were actually from the Korean War era. The date was on the cans. 1953 or 4
Anyway I'm not saying some units didn't keep strict Uniform of the Day rules, but lots of guys just wanted to express themselves in a different way.
Kinda like, Talkin the Talk and Walkin the walk attitude.
It's the Marine Corps way. LOL

Thanks for the opportunity Boys

#36 ·
"....always enjoy posting bashes here even though they're PTO WWII. "
Ron, no reason to feel like WW2 isn't as good as any other subject. As I've tried to relate to some of the whelps here, it's a modern war, with radios and everything!

And don't change that hard-won character of yours, either. You're one of the bulwarks of reality, genuine, respected, and mannerly.
Without an odd folkism, bit'o'slang, street jargon, and Chet's traditional grammarcide(which I understand clearly, I'm proud to say), we'd be overrun by freakin' English majors. And I know nobody wants that.

#39 ·
Well keeping with the subject of this post I was just browsing GPHQ and came across an old old thread of mine and a response to it that was posted almost 1 year after i made the post. Needless to say it is by a member of the forum that I have not seen any thing from as far as bashes or the likes. I was kind of torn on how to take his Praise/ critisisms (sp). He seems to know waht he is talking about but hey who knows on the WWW. Anyway he pretty much tore my bash apart with his critique but at the same time offered some info. While I spent countless hours before this bash researching every single bit of seemlessly unavailable info on the NZSAS I did the best with the pics info and kit I could scratch up. Try finding pics and info on the NZSAS and you will see what I mean. Wish you more luck than I had at the time. Anyway point is I poured hours of time and heart into the research of this bash that this guy ripped apart 10-11 months later. Oh well. I got more positve comments than I did negative and I have never seen this guy post one darn pic or at least not under that name. So Unforgiven I can understand your point on the subject of this post. Will it stop me from posting? HELL NO !!!! I love this Hobby and the drive it inspires in me. Take care guys.
Oh by the way here is the post I am referring too
My NZSAS bash

#41 ·
Good thing that you brought it up Unforgiven. I think i know what you meant by all these lack of Nettiquette by the many online clowns out there. I was pretty hesitant about putting my pics up as well cos of the "Accuracy Nazi."

All in all, my experience here has been a great one so far, though I did hear alot of nasty things about the old OSW that kept me away for quite a while.

Keep this going everyone! :)

#47 ·
Comfort can be a good thing. Comfortable with your friends, family, significant others... But when comfort starts to make you do things you know deep down are really not appropriate or having you taking advantage of each other, you are too comfortable.

#50 ·
timely post.

However, I have never felt that I have been the victim of rudeness or 1:6th scale snobbery. I enjoy the board, and everyone I have interacted with has been very pleasant.

Now, in order to establish my maturity as a married father of three who is closer to fifty than not, I will go play with the same toys I had forty years ago, but now I need reading glasses and tweezers, and a really good desk lamp!

thanks for the post Unforgiven

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.