One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Opsec

10K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  major.rod 
#1 ·
Cannot emphasize this enough, if you post current pics of units/individuals, the faces, unit and name identifiers must be pixilated, blurred, blacked-out; any of the above to deny information that might compromise those units/individuals.

#2 ·
Can't emphasise this enough PDog.
I think if they are personal pics not cleared by the DOD they shouldn't be posted anyway.

Sean

#3 ·
Absolutely! I often speak of experiences with soldiers training locally but I never ask to take photos and I really try to keep my location quiet for that reason. It isn't THAT hard to figure out but why announce it? Every one of these ladies and gentlemen (and the Marines, too! :p ) voluteered to do this job when they could be doing something else with their lives. They and their efforts are constantly impuned, every death exploited, every screw up magnified, every success ignored or downplayed.

The least we can do is try to run interference in our own community and consider their safety and security as they go about the difficult, dangerous and increasingly thankless job of protecting us.
Thanks for the reminder, P-Dog!

*Gets off soap box, put foil helmet back on and staggers off mumbling. ;)

#5 ·
Thanks to PD a while back, my cousin who is PMC "over there" didn't tear me a new one. Even though I "black-barred" his and his teams' faces, I forgot one thing: his tatoos. I would recommend, as has already been well put, extreme caution. These personel don't need any extra risks or danger from people like me making what seems like a small oversight.

#6 ·
If the pics are pulled form somewhere "online" than I dont see a need to black out anything
if its some pic your but sent you than thats just common sence
PD I understand your desire to but supportive but dont go overboard

#7 ·
I would respectfully disagree with Chet. What if a servicemember sends some pics to his family, which sometimes get tossed about to other people? Then, other people begin emailing the pics and before ya know it, they're on that chessy milphotos site.

I was reading on another board--it's been a while--how a guy found his pic on a site and had no idea how it go there. He had been sending them home and a few got away and were plastered all over the net. Anyone remember that episode?

Just because it's already posted online doesn't mean the servicemembers know it's out there and approve.

Why not just be extra cautious?

#8 ·
its too late by then
granted there wasnt much of an internet when I was in and it took forever for mail to get to us but what do you think some baddie is gonna do with a picture found on the internet ....go chase this guy down at home ... hell Abdule come my way .... me and Mr. Colt will show you a great time.

#9 ·
Opsec.....ohhh big headache on that one.

My professional view on the matter (from an 6 TIS, 31B02 Active Duty Solider with two tours and a third coming next year) if it involves anything detailing or showing current units deployed overseas, interior of FOBs which includes defensive layouts, location layouts, and infrastructure, senstive information, classified material to include equipment (DUKE systems come to mind), detainee detention facilities and/or any photos showing detainees, current/future operations, and/or anything that might compromise unit missions and safety is strictly a No Go!

Pictures from past or previous operations (including personal photos) dating back a year or more is okay to post without bluring out any information since almost all units involved in that operation have rotated back to the world or has already been discussed numerous times on either the History or Military Channel (imagine my suprise when I saw my squad in footage of a raid that we did in mid '03 was being aired only about a few months from getting back on the History Channel's Hunt for Saddam special). Any pics dealing with units under the command or directly attached to USSOCOM should have all information including faces and insignia's blurred out no if ands or buts. This is to protect the operators who frequently rotate in and out of the war zone a lot more than conventional military units.

All information provided above can be found directly in Joint Publications 3-13.3

#10 ·
The military's dealing with an interesting situation these days. Information warfare is a very relevant factor, and internal opinion's divided on what should be shared with the public. There is however, no disagreement regarding basic opsec matters. As I mentioned earlier, renewing the mention was by way of answering a request.

To put it more clearly, those who made the request didn't have to ask, they were just being courteous.

#14 ·
The Great Shaggy did a good job of explaining the need for OPSEC and provided some guidance. Its valid whether you agree or not.

Besides OPSEC there is another reason you want to protect the door kickers. There are specific orders in place prohibiting servicemen in certain units from taking pictures period.

Depending on the unit, violation of this policy could result in a slap of the wrists to nonjudicial punishment to UCMJ. Don't pooh pooh it. It really depends on the chain of command. From my Ranger customers I'm told you get transferred out of regiment for violating OPSEC. So if you want to shaft someone that lost control of his pics or took a chance go right ahead and post them.

As a 20+ year vet (I've been retired 3 years) I tell you its different now especially with the internet. The next time Abu Graib (sp?) or photos of a raid (in a country we aren't supposed to be in) hits the press there will be folks trolling the net for people violating the policy so they can be made an example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.