One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

The great ACU thread (updated 03/07/07)

26K views 61 replies 32 participants last post by  CorranJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd start this. If anyone has any pics I haven't posted, please post 'em here!

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
mtnsldr said:

[digression]where did the Rakkassans get silencers suppressors?[/digression]
I have a very strong feeling that isn't personal purchase. Thats is a 15th Model CQB MBS suppressor from Ops Inc. This model attaches to the weapon via a muzzle brake and an adapter that goes over the barrel for suppressor alignment. When fired without the suppressor the muzzle brake effectively reduces recoil and muzzle climb while diverting muzzle gasses slightly forward, away from the shooter. The muzzle brake design eliminates upward and downward blast while reducing muzzle flash. The suppressor mounts via threads on the outside of the muzzle brake centering on the adapter fitting. A 20 degree taper on the adapter locks the silencer onto the barrel.

#36 ·
What do ACU's blend in with? A linoleum floor at the surplus store, that's it. They work well with the pixelation in night vision...but our enemy has little access to that.

In open terrain at night, they are as bad as DCU's, particularly when faded. Sorry, but these things are a novelty at best, a real loser.

I was excited with the prototypes that looked more green and light tan, but the gray and light tan just sticks out from all vegetation. In cities it is OK, better than the black, grey and white woodland style BDU, but it's definitely not Multicam. I think the best single color camo would be a cross between OD and Coyote Brown. The best uniform ever issued would have to be the range of ERDL colors.

The worst is being on night ambush and all our gear is velcro, so a 20 year old PFC adjusting his gloves and pulling stuff out of pockets compromises the mission and gives us away. When it is damn cold, and your snivel gear is in your pockets or assault pack after moving a couple klicks, there's no choice but to open it up.

#37 ·
When we were at NTC in May 2005, coming down off of one of thier little hills, I turned back looking for my team and couldnt see them. They had stopped and I was about 50m from the closest one. Finally picked them out . That was wearing brand new ACU's..now they are so faded I am not so sure about the camo. ability in woodland/jungle terrain.

#39 ·
is any fire friendly? as for not being able to recognized a friend from foe isn't that what IR tabs and radios are for?

We can sit here and talk about ACU all day, about how its not good enough or too good. In the end its all about the training and the head on the soldier's shoulders.

From what I understand the enemy does now process stolen Night vision or at least NV provided by nations that support them. Hizbolla was sporting NV goggles during their conflict with Israel, I am sure that Al Queda in Iraq, and the ****te death squads have them.

#40 ·
Apache26 said:
When it is damn cold, and your snivel gear is in your pockets or assault pack after moving a couple klicks, there's no choice but to open it up
Maybe the matl-support processing system could do it, but one fix for this might a field-expedient: There are commercial gloves, particularly gauntlets for climbing and skiing, which have a short fur pile (or similar material) strip attached to the back of the hand area. When your nose is running bad, you bury and wipe, or whatever.
As for velcro, that's a real prob. Works fine, but not stealthy. The old 56 pattern loops and slide-tab were pretty quiet, and could be stealth-improved by elim'ing the metal components

Tung said:
and the s**tte death squads have them.
Busted by the cyber-censor, LOL. Looks like you can skate by, by using shiite, or shi'ite.

#41 ·
Law Enforcement using ACUs

Police gather outside the Aurora, Ill. Provina Mercy Medical Center, where a male patient had been holed up with a small handgun inside the hospital on Saturday. The patient, who asked officers to shoot him during a 4 1/2 hour standoff, was killed by police gunfire, authorities said Sunday. (AP Photo/Kevin P. Casey) . . .Full Story

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.