The great ACU thread (updated 03/07/07) - Page 2

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The great ACU thread (updated 03/07/07)

hey guys, i'm wondering if ACUs will blend in jungle?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

When its dark outside and your color blind....maybe

Being colorblind makes it twice as bad, to my (colorblind) eyes it's the strangest array of contrasting colors ever, catches my eyes rather than confuses them.
    Mark

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ok some pics of my teammates shot in the czech republic this weekend:

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

This ACU thread is just what I needed. Working on my first of 4 ACU figs and these pics are a huge help. Thanks guys.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. Wanted, Dead or Alive.

What do ACU's blend in with? A linoleum floor at the surplus store, that's it. They work well with the pixelation in night vision...but our enemy has little access to that.

In open terrain at night, they are as bad as DCU's, particularly when faded. Sorry, but these things are a novelty at best, a real loser.

I was excited with the prototypes that looked more green and light tan, but the gray and light tan just sticks out from all vegetation. In cities it is OK, better than the black, grey and white woodland style BDU, but it's definitely not Multicam. I think the best single color camo would be a cross between OD and Coyote Brown. The best uniform ever issued would have to be the range of ERDL colors.

The worst is being on night ambush and all our gear is velcro, so a 20 year old PFC adjusting his gloves and pulling stuff out of pockets compromises the mission and gives us away. When it is damn cold, and your snivel gear is in your pockets or assault pack after moving a couple klicks, there's no choice but to open it up.

When we were at NTC in May 2005, coming down off of one of thier little hills, I turned back looking for my team and couldnt see them. They had stopped and I was about 50m from the closest one. Finally picked them out . That was wearing brand new ACU's..now they are so faded I am not so sure about the camo. ability in woodland/jungle terrain.
    The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

After you saying that... I feel a little Uneased about that. Could result in Friendly fire.

is any fire friendly? as for not being able to recognized a friend from foe isn't that what IR tabs and radios are for?

We can sit here and talk about ACU all day, about how its not good enough or too good. In the end its all about the training and the head on the soldier's shoulders.

From what I understand the enemy does now process stolen Night vision or at least NV provided by nations that support them. Hizbolla was sporting NV goggles during their conflict with Israel, I am sure that Al Queda in Iraq, and the Shitte death squads have them.
    Sometime life hands you a bowl of lemons it's your choice to make lemonade or suck on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache26
    When it is damn cold, and your snivel gear is in your pockets or assault pack after moving a couple klicks, there's no choice but to open it up
    Maybe the matl-support processing system could do it, but one fix for this might a field-expedient: There are commercial gloves, particularly gauntlets for climbing and skiing, which have a short fur pile (or similar material) strip attached to the back of the hand area. When your nose is running bad, you bury and wipe, or whatever.
    As for velcro, that's a real prob. Works fine, but not stealthy. The old 56 pattern loops and slide-tab were pretty quiet, and could be stealth-improved by elim'ing the metal components

Quote Originally Posted by Tung
    and the s**tte death squads have them.
    Busted by the cyber-censor, LOL. Looks like you can skate by, by using shiite, or shi'ite.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Law Enforcement using ACUs

Police gather outside the Aurora, Ill. Provina Mercy Medical Center, where a male patient had been holed up with a small handgun inside the hospital on Saturday. The patient, who asked officers to shoot him during a 4 1/2 hour standoff, was killed by police gunfire, authorities said Sunday. (AP Photo/Kevin P. Casey) . . .Full Story
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Now THAT is a good find Grizz!!

Yeah I wish they would have posted more pics.....
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

Quote Originally Posted by Palaboon
    See the cammo is effective!!!!!! Great pic!!

within two hours away from east coast spec.ops (Army, Navy, and USMC)As well as C.I.A. SOG and Blackwater
    I got a fleece jacket for X-mas from a relative that is in the same greyish color as the fleece in an earlier posting. I don't know if it was a special run of the item but it is exactly like the SPEAR fleece but in grey.

Red face

:d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The great ACU thread (updated 03/07/07)-35760-jpg   The great ACU thread (updated 03/07/07)-35894-jpg   The great ACU thread (updated 03/07/07)-37467-jpg   The great ACU thread (updated 03/07/07)-36947-jpg  
    Last edited by DunkleGelb; 03-16-2007 at 16:14.

Great pic? Are you kidding, that sofa is even better. I must have one! Wrap it in plastic, just like my Grandma does. LOL cool pic and wow, that ACU does blend in.

SOPMOD!!!!!

M14-- no scope!?

Don't miss my new TOY BLOGS!===> http://toy-history.blogspot.com/----and-----http://toynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/

Sniper Team

Scoped M14

Special Forces

Special Forces

More SF

Don't miss my new TOY BLOGS!===> http://toy-history.blogspot.com/----and-----http://toynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/

Damn, those are some great new pics!

Lol

I found it too funny when I saw that the 1st Cav K9 unit dog had it's eyes blurred out.

I know one of them is marpat, but I had to upload it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The great ACU thread (updated 03/07/07)-800px-3rd_battalion%2c_3rd_marines_-_afghanistan-jpg   The great ACU thread (updated 03/07/07)-n2508661_36958343_9372a-jpg  

that pic of the guy on the ground is funny cheater!! reminds me of what my friend said about wearing ACUs in Afghanistan.."Yea, you can wear ACU if you want, you just looklike a concrete slab for the bad guys to shoot at instead of blending in with DCUs!"

New style SAW stock.This should be made in 1/6th

Dog handlers

Not often you see the relations between US military and livestock in IRAQ

This kinda thing is often overlooked too.

Random US ARMY in ACU

there are a few more in my gallery.
    Last edited by CorranJ; 05-28-2008 at 15:51.
    I am not a slave to the box art layout!!
    Don't be so unkind.You may not survive to pass this way again,and these be the last friendly words you'll hear.

Good to finally see an update here! A bit of a request from me... Has anyone go a picture of a soldier with an IOTV on with an M9 kept in an M4 shingle mag pouch. I saw it on MP.net a while back, but now I can't find it for the life of me.

Yes, but those of us who have been there have witnessed RELATIONS between the Iraqis and their livestock...

That uniform blends in so well with the gravel...it makes me think we had secret plans to conquer an outer space gravel planet when we designed the uniform.

l love the ACU camo its my favorite military camo, tho it is pointless in iraq and afghanistan the soldiers completely stand out, multi cam would work loads better, tho l do love the look of the digital camo

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    l love the ACU camo its my favorite military camo, tho it is pointless in iraq and afghanistan the soldiers completely stand out, multi cam would work loads better, tho l do love the look of the digital camo
    Having just returned from Afghanistan, I can tell you that the ACU does work there. That being said, it doesnt work everywhere in Afghanistan. I do agree that multi-cam would have been a better choice for the Army, but what can we do, we use what they give us and drive on. Either way, we kick ass.

Re: The great ACU thread (updated 03/07/07)

can anyone post a pix of an ACU in a Jungle environment?