One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

The Soon To Be Great M4 Thread

57K views 115 replies 49 participants last post by  fury from the sky 
#1 ·
Well, I thought PD's idea was a good one, so I figured I'd start it off. I'm no expert on the M4, but I do have the SOPMOD poster pic, so I figured I'd post it and let the experts chime in.

Oh, and if you don't know what I'm talking about, pukingdog suggested we start an M4 thread so we can have a repository of current info.

Attachments

See less See more
#57 ·
MVSpartan, You are correct, that's a HSGI Denali. I really dug it over there because it has a couple of big map pockets behind the mag pouches that let me carry all my close air support type items. And there was plenty of room left over in the rest of the rig. The only trouble I had with the chest harness was trying to go over the top of some walls... I'd end up looking like the fat kid in gym class until I learned to lift up on it with one hand as I went up and over.

#61 ·
Hi all:
I don't have any photos but as the resident liberarian :lol
I thought I should contribute this reference book on the black rifle. It's the second volume and it covers the Canadian (i.e. Diemaco) model as well as the latest Colt models.
Note of course that when the book was released Diemaco had introduced soon afterwords the C7A2, C8A2 the C8 close quarter battle (CQB) and the C8CT custom tactical sniper rifle variants
Also it appears that the C7 series can also use the HK grenade launcher as well as the 203
Finally, I read in one of the French cop mags that the DEA has recently adopted an AR 15 variant from Rock Island Arsenal. I think it's called the LR 25 or LAR 25

¸xavier

#62 ·
Directed at robUSAF...I heard that sighting in those ACOG's is a bitch. Also, is aiming easier for you without a cheek rest? For me its a strain on the neck when I'm sighting in and running while looking through my sights, so I mounted them on my carry handle.

#63 ·
I am a REALLY big fan of the ACOG. I had a TA11, which has a 3.5X mag and a donut reticle in it vs. the NSN 4x mag and crosshair. It allowed quick shots with the donut (like a red dot sight) or 3.5X mag for longer shots. No batteries to change out, and was pretty easy to zero. I never had any issues with no cheek rest and being up on the carry handle, but I would like to try it on a flat top for comparison.

#64 · (Edited)
Just finished my M4gery.....

w/ Glock 19 with a Surefire X200A weaponlight

#66 · (Edited)
The Eotech holosite has a red 65MOA ring with a 1MOA dot in the center. It is considered one of the fastest close quarters sites for small arms. Just put the red circle onto your target and you'll hit it. The small red dot is for more precise engagements beyond 50 yards. Most of the military personel/private security contractors are using the Eotech, Aimpoint M2 and Trijicon ACOGS.

#75 ·
zeroone said:
question : is the knights rail system, the same as the RIS (RAIL Intigration System)? is RIS just the mil designation?
KAC provides RIS/RAS for the military as what I've heard. But I think the military uses RAS (Rail Accessory System) now. Is this correct? I heard RAS has a better fit. Anyway RIS/RAS basically look the same, there's not really much of a difference between them, just I think RAS is a bit better over RIS.

#76 ·
The RIS and RAS are different- The RAS hasa slightly more robust mechanism for 'locking' onto the rifle and is better able to withstand repeated firing of a M203 under the barrel. The RIS however is more versatile in that it fits different barrel profiles (e.g. a heavy barrel)- You can tell the difference by the etched numbers- The RIS starts at 1 at the front sight end and counts up- the RAS starts at 16 (?) at the receiver end and counts up.
I've never seen anything but the RAS in regular Army and Marine units. The RIS seems entirely within SOCOM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.