One Sixth Warriors: Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion

Go Back   OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum > Main Discussion Forums > Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.

Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion. Collect, Kitbash, Customize. All Brands, All Eras, All Genres.
WWII, Modern, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc. Anything directly related to 1/6th scale action figure collecting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 03:06
OSW Member

Re: The BIIIIIIIIIIIG OSW Trivia Quiz Thread......

Great answer David and you are halfway there, the one I have pictured is not SSN-23 but there is a link to it.
She also had a brush with Pirates
AL
Old 09-20-2010, 03:08
OSW Member

Sorry Dan but no cigar. President Carter was the only US President to serve in submarines and has a link to the boat I pictured and the one David pictured.
Cheers
Al
Old 09-20-2010, 03:31
The Mighty Boosh

it's the USS Seawolf (SSN-575), a unique submarine and the third ship of the United States Navy to be named for the seawolf, the second nuclear submarine, and the only U.S. submarine built with a liquid metal cooled (sodium) nuclear reactor.

Lieutenant James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, the only U.S. President to qualify in submarines, was to be her Engineering Officer, but had resigned his commission upon the death of his father in 1953.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:36
OSW Member

Wiki is a wonderful thing. Correct you are David the US Navy's second Nuclear Boat and one which soldiered on into the 80's in a variety of roles. She even had the job of locating and tracking a Liner captured by Pirates and a number of (probably) still classified missions.
If you ever get the Chance read Blind Mans Bluff by Chris Sontag which details the amazing clandestine roles the US and Western Allied Boats have undertaken during the Cold War.
Back to you David
Al
Old 09-20-2010, 03:49
The Mighty Boosh

Thank you Al.

Here's another 'wazzit'? It's fairly obvious what it is, but it's something else, too.

Old 09-20-2010, 13:53
OSW Member

Heya, David and all!

What you've given us is the Soviet 37mm "spade mortar", or, as the Soviets themselves called it: "37mm Mortar, Model of 1939".

Intended to give every infantryman his own artillery support, it had no sights, and was aimed by watching the fall of shot.

The monopod leg, when removed from the tube, was inserted into the bore and locked the blade / baseplate into digging configuration, enabling the infantryman to dig himself a position before opening fire.

Ammunition was carried in a 15 round cloth bandolier.

It was thought to be a better solution to infantry fire-support than the more usual rifle mounted grenade discharger in that it had a higher rate of fire and did not effect rifle functioning. They were used during the Winter War against Finland and were found to be of little use. German captured examples were listed as 3.7cm Spatengranatwerfer 161 (r). It couldn't have been totally worthless, as the Iranians made an updated version called the "marsh mortar".
Old 09-20-2010, 18:08
The Mighty Boosh

Correctomundo, Russ - it is indeed the spade mortar.

Over to you.
Old 09-20-2010, 18:34
OSW Member

Thank you, David!

Sticking with the theme of "digging in"....

What is this?

Old 09-20-2010, 19:19
wave man TDY staff

It's a folding e-tool, and that offset hole in the blade appears shaped to take a mattock helve. I've had the devil's own time trying to find it's point of origin, though. On to the books, and perhaps better luck to others.

Yer a clever one you are, Mr. Russ.
- Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -
Old 09-20-2010, 22:34
The Mighty Boosh

Ah, I think it's a WW1 sniper shovel/shield.

Dig a shell scrape then stick that in the ground in front of you and fire through the loop-hole.

I'm amazed - I actually got that without Googling.

This is with Google:

The MacAdam Shield-Shovel, also known as the Hughes Shovel, was an item of Canadian infantry equipment designed at the beginning of the First World War. It was conceived and patented by Sam Hughes, the Canadian minister for the Department of Militia and Defence in 1913, for use as an instrument which held the combined function to operate as a spade and a shield from which soldiers could securely fire from at enemy positions and advantageously not be targeted in return.[1] However, the implement was first suggested by Ena MacAdam, Hughes' personal secretary, after she witnessed Swiss soldiers constructing frontline fortifications in France.[2]
Old 09-20-2010, 23:03
OSW Member

You are correct, David!

The MacAdams Shield Shovel, which was not very good in either role.

Mr Hughes admiring his solution to the stalemate on the Western Front:

25,000 pieces were bought for $1.35 each, a rather decent chunk of change in 1914. Due to their high level of craptitude, they were ordered to be collected up and scrapped en masse, getting back $1400 from the salvors.

Take it away, David!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:23
The Mighty Boosh

Cheers, Russ. Here's a 'twofer'

What was unusual about the aircraft carrier USS Macon, AND what’s her connection with the carrier USS Carl Vinson?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:33
Gebirgs-Polizei

The USS Macon was a US Navy rigid airship/zeppelin, used to launch scouting biplanes.

Its slight connection to the USS Carl Vinson is the fact that the USS Macon was named for the city in Georgia, which was the largest city in the Congressional district of the USS Carl Vinson's namesake, US Representative Carl Vinson, famous for chairing the House Committee on Naval Affairs from 1931 until after WW2.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:09
The Mighty Boosh

RogueJK he shoots - HE SCORES!

Correct on both counts. The background to the ship on Wiki is interesting.

Over to you RJK.
Old 09-21-2010, 16:35
Gebirgs-Polizei

Thanks!

Named partly for the town in which the unit's "collection point" was located, this incident is believed to be the only formal protest of an official order lodged by American officers in the WW2 European Theater of Operations.
Old 09-22-2010, 19:15
wave man TDY staff

This is a good one, RogueJK. I've been trying combinations (as this one doesn't stir any memories for me), and so far nada.

Soooooooo....

Old 09-22-2010, 19:26
Gebirgs-Polizei

Okay... How about a hint?

The formal protest was very well worded. In fact, some refer to it as a "manifesto".
Old 09-22-2010, 20:10
Unofficial researcher

The Wiesbaden Manifesto, when American officers refused to ship art that had been plundered by the Nazis back to the U.S.

Last edited by Casual_Collector; 09-22-2010 at 20:11. Reason: Changed wording for rationale.
Old 09-22-2010, 20:33
Gebirgs-Polizei

Very good, CC!

Towards the end of WW2, members of the US "Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives" program were tasked with safeguarding historically important European monuments and recovering artifacts and pieces of art stolen by the Nazis from occupied areas. The men of this quasi-military unit, made up of many prominent intellectuals, historians, and museum directors, eventually chose Wiesbaden as one of their three central collection points for items recovered from Nazi caches.

The men were shocked when, in November 1945, they were ordered to round up over 200 of the most valuable pieces in their warehouses for shipment back to the US for display. 36 of the officers in the unit wrote a strongly-worded formal protest, nicknamed the "Wiesbaden Manifesto", in response to the order, which they viewed as no better than the Nazi looting that they were trying to undo.

Despite their protests, hundreds of items recovered from the Nazis were shipped back to the US, and were not returned to their rightful owners until President Truman ordered their return in 1948.

For further reading, check out this article from WW2 Magazine: The Monuments Men: Rescuing Art Plundered by the Nazis HistoryNet

Over to you, Casual_Collector!
Old 09-22-2010, 23:14
Unofficial researcher

With the following audio clue, identify the who, what happened, where, and when.
Bonus points if you can identify the fates of the two "survivors" of the incident.
zSHARE - Audio Clue 9232010.m4a
or
RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:41
OSW Member

from Wiki:
August 19, 1981 Gulf of Sidra incident when two F-14A were attacked by two Libyan Su-22 aircraft. When the Libyan missile fired missed its target, the Americans were cleared to engage and both Su-22 were destroyed with Sidewinder missiles.

"The official United States Navy report states that both Libyan pilots ejected and were safely recovered, but in the official audio recording of the incident taken from USS Biddle, one of the F-14 pilots states that he saw a Libyan pilot eject, but his parachute failed to open."

and here's a transcript:
http://bbs.tomcat521.com/archiver/?tid-345.html

I guess Gaddafi's "Line of Death" took on a whole new meaning after this little party

Last edited by GregT; 09-23-2010 at 10:04.
Old 09-23-2010, 13:56
Unofficial researcher

Correct! This recording comes from an officer in the USS Biddle's CIC, LT. Mike Sasser.
As for the two "survivors" from the Incident - F-14A BuNo 160390 (Fast Eagle 107) crashed when Lt. Kara Hultgren flamed out while trying to land on the USS Abraham Lincoln. She died, but her RIO ejected safely. F-14A BuNo 160403 (Fast Eagle 102) was later converted into an F-14D and became a part of the Confederate Air Force's fleet of museum aircraft, where she remains to this day.
On to you, GregT!
Old 09-23-2010, 14:49
OSW Member

ohhhh, "survivors"... doh! that was an exciting clue CC, really good one.

(this one's easy-easy, I'll give it about 15 min.)

Designed in 1860 by an American, built by Brits, rejected by the Royal Navy and the U.S. Army,
offered to the C.S.A. and might have been used at the Siege of Petersburg... what is its name?

Old 09-23-2010, 16:49
Celer et Audax

That will be Vandenburghs Salvo cannon, a "ribaldequin" with 85x.50 cal barrels, that apparently fired all at once.......KAAaAA...........BLOOOOOEY

( I love the word ribaldequin.......... it sounds......... oldey-worldy-saucey...... I will be trying to get it into conversation tomorrow at work)
Old 09-23-2010, 16:59
wave man TDY staff

Well done Dan! I'll admit that's a new one to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdan View Post
.......( I love the word ribaldequin.......... it sounds......... oldey-worldy-saucey...... I will be trying to get it into conversation tomorrow at work)
A naughty harlequin perhaps? The usual loud outfit, but with a disturbing codpiece?
Old 09-23-2010, 17:03
OSW Member

Yessirree! here's a couple links w/photos

The American Civil War: Military Technology: The Vandenburgh Volley Gun

Vandenburg Volly Gun

go, Dan, go!
Old 09-23-2010, 17:41
The Mighty Boosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
A naughty harlequin perhaps? The usual loud outfit, but with a disturbing codpiece?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:46
Celer et Audax

Codpiece, that will be my word for tomorrow......

A gimme Q....

OK, another ribaldequin, this one sported by a haughty Irishman with MY capbadge - what and who??
Old 09-24-2010, 16:50
wave man TDY staff

I believe that it is the Nock gun, wielded by RSM Patrick Harper of the Sharpe's series.

The Nock gun was originally meant for use by the Royal Navy. It was invented by British engineer James Wilson, and manufactured by gunsmith Henry Nock.(London)

Seven smoothbore barrels designed to fire simultaneously, by means of a flintlock mechanism. "Overall length 37in, barrel length 20in, calibre 0.52in."*

I think your cap badge is that of the Royal Green Jackets - of which the 3rd Green Jackets is The Rifle Brigade.

If I am wrong, I am SPECTACULARLY wrong.....

*From Weapons - Harper's Nock Volley Gun - The Sharpe Appreciation Society
Old 09-24-2010, 20:06
The Mighty Boosh

Mike, the RGJ are also known as 'the Black Mafia' because of their black accoutrements and habit of supporting each other through think and thin.

Dan - you'll be pleased to know that an ex-Lancer officer friend of mine who (for some reason) ended up leading a bunch of RGJ in NI said they were the most switched on toms he ever worked with.