One Sixth Warriors: Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion

Go Back   OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum > Main Discussion Forums > Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.

Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion. Collect, Kitbash, Customize. All Brands, All Eras, All Genres.
WWII, Modern, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc. Anything directly related to 1/6th scale action figure collecting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 00:34
Humvee Madman

Improved dust proofing IKEA Detolf glass cases

Those of us with these Ikea cases know that while they do keep your figures out of harms way and keep most of the dust off em they ain't exactly dust proof. To try and fill the big gaps either side of the door glass I've taken to using thin self adhesive foam weather stripping.

Take the door off and run one length on the the door jam side glass piece. Set it back about 1/4 inch from the edge of the side glass to allow the door to close and just touch the weather stripping. You just want to fill the gap not make an air tight seal.

Now do the same with the side glass on the door hinge side but set the tape back just a smidge more. The edge of the door glass has to just kiss the stripping when it swings back and forth. Test with a short strip until you get a gap you can live with and still safely open the door.

So far I've done up four of my cases and while it doesn't completely seal the case it does cut down on the dust and doesn't spoil the look of the cases. If you are careful getting the tape on straight it can look like it's meant to be there and sort of disappears from view.

Just an experiment you can try if your as crazy as me.

Dan
Old 02-26-2008, 00:53
Closet Toy Collector

Woah thanks M8 for the pro-tip ! Is the 'self adhesive foam weather stripping' bought as it is like in the photo or do you buy foam and use double sided tape?

Where did you bought it from? Bunnings?

As for me I don't use the IKEA Detolf (although I was contemplating in getting them to move the figures into another room) because the place I am in have built in cubicles into the wall. For me I just use those clear plastic wrap for tables and just seal the cubicles tight. Problem is, its troublesome if I want to fiddle my figures, as I have to peel it off.

Cheers

Last edited by Renascor; 02-26-2008 at 06:13.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:26
Needs 1:6 rehab

God i hate dust.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:31
emigre

Good idea me thinks this is.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:16
OSW Member

Nice tip! Is that the IKEA light you have in there - I have four Detolf cabinets and I'm wondering if the lights are worth getting?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:37
Kinetics in One Sixth

Great idea! I've been thinking of ways to cover up the gap too. Where to find these foam strips? The proper questions is, what are they actually used for?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:59
Humvee Madman

Renascor-- Believe it or not I got the weather striping at my local IGA grocer. But you can get it at the great god Bunnings( A hardware megastore where Aussie men go to pray on weekends for you guys in the states) Neat iead about the cubes. I wonder is I could use clear mylar sheet from the artist supply shop. Hmmm now that's an idea.

USMC Maggot--You said it. I hates it I do!

cree82--LOL, Yoda was my wife's 20th anniversary present to me. She's the bestest chick in the entire world and that's a fact

justin_g-- I used two lights in each case. Yep they do work well but get a timer for them so they only run a few hours each night. And I suggest that you don't run them in high summer as they do get a little hot.

Kinster-- Any good hardware store should have the equivalent weather stripping. It's used to seal out drafts in windows and doors.

Dan
Old 02-26-2008, 08:40
OSW Member

Great tip! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:22
OSW Member

For the folks in the US, Wal-Mart carries 3-4 different types of adhesive weather stripping. I was thinking of doing something similar with that silicon flange stuff that you sometimes see clipped on the edge of the glass door of an entertainment center. I imagine this stuff could be found somewhere although I haven't went looking for it yet.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:38
OSW Member

Dan, you are a great fan of IKEA for sure! Should get them to do 1:6 special display gears and furnitures man! LOL!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:53
cablecommandercustoms

great idea, scanman.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:32
uber noob assembler

i may have to do that, mine is just full of dust right now

www.dbtoyz.com
Old 02-26-2008, 15:02
12" nightmare

Quite clever, do you have any pics of the whole cabinet so we can get a better view of how it looks?
Old 02-26-2008, 15:10
OSW Member

Thats a cool tip, ive bought a dust extracter which sucks the dust out of the air and push it into water, cool syuff but ive only had it for a fortnight.
Old 02-26-2008, 15:54
neurotic neurone

Truly neat idea, Dan. I have been thinking how to remedy the dust issue before getting the case. Thanks for the pointer bro.
Old 02-26-2008, 16:18
The rest will flow

I can't even GET one of these cases (for a decent price... sorry, no $250+ shipping charge for me) but if I had one, I'd most certainly use this idea of yours, simple but effective = for me.

Right now, depleting my Wal-Mart's supply of their compressed air cans is my only means of defense.
Old 02-26-2008, 16:32
THE BUTCHER (OSW Stuff:)

Dan, you've become an IKEA spokesperson!.
Old 02-26-2008, 22:51
OSW Member

Great idea for dust proofing those cabinets Dan..

For those that have built in cabinets with glass panel front enclousures, like I do along the wall. You can try this trick I picked up from a 1:24 scale model truck builder friend of mine. He purchased three aquarium air pumps at his local discount/bargain basement store for about $5.00 USD each. He drilled small holes along the clear plastic airline, then ran the line through the shelves at both corners from the bottom to the top, hid the pump under the kick plate of the shelves and plugged them into a power source. With the pumps running, they provide a constant positive airflow inside the shelve area, that would not allow dust to settle. Because the pumps are meant to run all the time, and are low voltage he did not experience a noticible increase in his electric bill either. About the same cost as running a fish tank in your home. I'm sure that these types of pumps would work on the Ikea setup as well.
Old 02-27-2008, 00:38
Scratchbuilder

BRILLIANT!!!

Cheers!