One Sixth Warriors: Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion

Go Back   OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum > Main Discussion Forums > Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.

Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion. Collect, Kitbash, Customize. All Brands, All Eras, All Genres.
WWII, Modern, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc. Anything directly related to 1/6th scale action figure collecting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 05:32
OSW Member

Re: DID: Grenadier 6th Sturmbataillon 1917-1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
OK, I am sounding like a broken record with DiD's WW1 guys. THIS figure is one of those I have long waited for, BUT what is up with DiD's helmets? Not only does it look wrong physically, but the paint job is pretty crappy. The real ones that I have seen had pretty decent paint jobs (i.e., care was taken in painting them). The shape of the old SST helmet is superior, tho a bit tight fitting, and Tony Barton's M1917s are real beauts (why not take Tony on as designer/advisor, DiD?).
A bit of looking about indicates that the mask is a Lederschutzmaske GM17, the odd-looking lenses being celluloid with metal reinforcements. No doubt there's an item that will find favor with Steam Punk aficionados.

I like this guy, want to like him more, but dammit DiD, get a grip on your helmet designs.

-----
If only the helmet was the only problem, the historical inaccuracies in most items this figures comes with is what put me off.
I too am looking forward in seeing (late)WWI German figures for many years now but this disaster and DiD's previous released German WWI figure will not be included in my collection.

I would kindly ask DiD to stop taking the easy and quick road and focus on historical accuracy. Details like tunic buttons, stitching or material choice for example could drastically change the whole appearance of the figure.
The sales would be so much higher, i can guarantee it.

DiD has always produced interesting figures and tackled rare projects like the Rudolf Anhalt figure for example but as always missing on the details, which is truly a shame.
Old 06-24-2012, 16:52
OSW Member

yeah ... really a shame, when you know it's like 80-90 bucks.. you really think it twice

Did always messed up the stahlhelms, specially the ones prior to the M35.... the never gave the right 'height' to the pot of the helm.... they always llok like M35 with frankestein bolts....
Old 06-24-2012, 17:35
shoestring

nice figure!

i wish they could include extra buckles to make him from Bavaria, Wuertemberg, Hesse, Baden, etc. It seems every WW1 german figure ever made has been Prussian.
Old 06-24-2012, 18:02
OSW Member

This is also one of the figure that I would want to buy but probably not from DID. I am pretty sure Caltek + Timewalker + National Museum can and will come up with a MUCH better research and detail version of it.
I can start saving up my money for the more accurate, more detail version later.
DID, please stop wasting time and rushing to put all these horrible research and no detail figure out, its not gonna work, I think you can do better than that.
Old 06-24-2012, 18:37

Glad DiD released this guy. The helmet looks a little off, but I can easily swap that out with BGT, or wait and see what CalTek comes out with!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 19:44
Batmanila

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchybitz View Post
God, it's not another Lincoln Burrows, is it?
Or is it just the hair cut making me see that

But, like Roger, if it turns out to have the new bod I'll be grabbing a nude.
No, it's not Burrows. (Best Burrows sculpt would be that of Enterbay's prototype, which unfortunately, was never released.) Dont' know who is the sculpt is supposed to be. I appreciate DID venturing in WW1, but, sadly I'm into WW2. I hope DID release WW2 stuff soon.
Old 06-24-2012, 21:00
i draw pictures.....

i like this one. it's an exact clone to the sideshow one from years ago to a certain extent...from the comparison shots of the helmet i think it's not that far off..the paint job could be better..my main problem is with the uniform's colour and fabric..my only question now for the experts here is..how far off is the smg??

peace
Miguel
Old 06-24-2012, 21:47
I've been Minimoyzed

It's a good attempt, but as others have noted, there are a few issues with this. Better than Sideshow for sure.

I do like what I see though.

I did see another Lincoln B sculpt right off the bat, but I like this version too. Must have for me, loose.
Old 06-24-2012, 21:54
OSW Member

maybe the shaved head can be attributed to a case of trench fever prevention? ive read that it many soldiers shaved their hair in order to keep lice away. Although i doubt DID went this far into their research, lol.
Old 06-24-2012, 22:40
Mobilis in mobili

I can definitely make my Freikorp bash with this.
Old 06-24-2012, 22:58
OSW Member

Don't care for the skinhead HS, would be the first thing I would change
Old 06-25-2012, 00:18
OSW Member

I have all the WW1 line from SideShow. I have also noticed that DiD's figures seem to be copied from the above mentioned SideShow figures. I was really glad to see DiD make WW1 figures, however the quality seems to be lacking. The first thing that stood out to me was the helmet also. I guess they are attempting to get a bunch of figures out because they are aware that at least one other company will be making a superior line.(Time Walker/Caltek) Then again I'm most likely wrong?? I really like DiD and their figures of which I own about 50 or so which also includes 3R. Hopefuly DiD will start getting it right again.

Brent Conner
Old 06-25-2012, 02:03
OSW Member

Why has the photos been removed by DiD of the German 6th grenadier Sturmbbataillon that had been displayed on their home page? Could it be DiD is listening to the board and will be correcting what has been most notable? Lets justin hope.

Bren Conner
Old 06-25-2012, 02:47
1:6 Dealer

just got the info in the new DID WW1 FIGURE
msrp 100.00
due out in sept 2012
pre orders are in with your fav dealers out there
Attached Thumbnails
DID:  Grenadier 6th Sturmbataillon 1917-1918-img_4800.jpg   DID:  Grenadier 6th Sturmbataillon 1917-1918-img_4753.jpg   DID:  Grenadier 6th Sturmbataillon 1917-1918-img_4857.jpg   DID:  Grenadier 6th Sturmbataillon 1917-1918-img_4812.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 03:36
OSW Member

With a price tag of $100 i would save my money and wait what other companies come up with for their late WWI German figure.

CalTek and Timewalkers & Collectibles ask just a fraction more for a complete and historical accurate figure, the choice is clear to me.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:47
OSW Member

I'll probably pick up some of his gear loose for a project I'm working on. The helmet looks way off IMO, I got mine from Tony Barton; they're superb!
Old 06-25-2012, 04:39
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eperitus View Post
Love the MP18. I'm glad they've got the proper star-shaped bottom on the stick grenades, as well as the metal loops for hanging off belts etc. Nice headsculpt, too (I don't recognise the face, assuming it's another film star). I'm looking forward to a breakdown from the experts, but I'll definitely get one of these anyway (I've got Albert Brown and Pascal Dubois and like them both, despite the errors).

A bit off-topic, but WW1 enthusiasts might like this (not my own work, unfortunately):

If WW1 was a pub fight...
Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of a pub when Serbia bumps into Austria and spills Austria’s pint.
Austria demands Serbia buy it a complete new suit because there are splashes on its trouser leg.
Germany expresses its support for Austria’s point of view.
Britain recommends that everyone calm down a bit.
Serbia points out that it can’t afford a whole suit, but offers to pay for the cleaning of Austria’s trousers.
Russia and Serbia look at Austria.
Austria asks Serbia who it’s looking at.
Russia suggests that Austria should leave its little brother alone.
Austria inquires as to whose army will assist Russia in compelling it to do so.
Germany appeals to Britain that France has been looking at it, and that this is sufficiently out of order that Britain should not intervene.
Britain replies that France can look at who it wants to, that Britain is looking at Germany too, and what is Germany going to do about it?
Germany tells Russia to stop looking at Austria, or Germany will render Russia incapable of such action.
Britain and France ask Germany whether it’s looking at Belgium.
Turkey and Germany go off into a corner and whisper. When they come back, Turkey makes a show of not looking at anyone.
Germany rolls up its sleeves, looks at France, and punches Belgium.
France and Britain punch Germany. Austria punches Russia. Germany punches Britain and France with one hand and Russia with the other.
Russia throws a punch at Germany, but misses and nearly falls over. Japan calls over from the other side of the room that it’s on Britain’s side, but stays there. Italy surprises everyone by punching Austria.
Australia punches Turkey, and gets punched back. There are no hard feelings because Britain made Australia do it.
France gets thrown through a plate glass window, but gets back up and carries on fighting. Russia gets thrown through another one, gets knocked out, suffers brain damage, and wakes up with a complete personality change.
Italy throws a punch at Austria and misses, but Austria falls over anyway. Italy raises both fists in the air and runs round the room chanting.
America waits till Germany is about to fall over from sustained punching from Britain and France, then walks over and smashes it with a barstool, then pretends it won the fight all by itself.
By now all the chairs are broken and the big mirror over the bar is shattered. Britain, France and America agree that Germany threw the first punch, so the whole thing is Germany’s fault . While Germany is still unconscious, they go through its pockets, steal its wallet, and buy drinks for all their friends.

That is so awesome - I can see Humon making a comic out of this. (http://satwcomic.com/)
Old 06-25-2012, 05:33
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_rhino View Post
It's a good attempt, but as others have noted, there are a few issues with this. Better than Sideshow for sure.

I do like what I see though.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02
OSW Member

DiD web review back up. The only thing I see changed is the reenforced leather knee patches, which are larger than what was first posted.
Old 06-25-2012, 13:38
OSW Member

Nope,your mistaken...the leather patches are exactly the same size they posted before...i saved the photos previously and took another look.
Chelseaboy
Old 06-25-2012, 23:58
OSW Member

OOPS, I wouldn't be a very good witness for a police line up would I? Good thing no ones life depended on my obversation skills. Thanks Chelseaboy!

Last edited by musketbal; 06-26-2012 at 08:43. Reason: left out word in post
Old 06-26-2012, 00:35
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakep View Post
No, it's not Burrows. (Best Burrows sculpt would be that of Enterbay's prototype, which unfortunately, was never released.) Dont' know who is the sculpt is supposed to be. I appreciate DID venturing in WW1, but, sadly I'm into WW2. I hope DID release WW2 stuff soon.
It's definitely supposed to be Burrows, and in fact, I'm thinking the sculptor used that exact image as a reference. The brow furrows are exactly the same, the ears are the same, forehead wrinkles, etc. It might not look like him, but it's supposed to.
Old 06-26-2012, 14:32
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic View Post
It's definitely supposed to be Burrows, and in fact, I'm thinking the sculptor used that exact image as a reference. The brow furrows are exactly the same, the ears are the same, forehead wrinkles, etc. It might not look like him, but it's supposed to.
The ears are spot on at least. But it is a good sculpt nevertheless. But to put it on a WWI German? Someone drank battery acid for breakfast i think.
Old 06-26-2012, 16:30
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warge View Post
The ears are spot on at least. But it is a good sculpt nevertheless. But to put it on a WWI German? Someone drank battery acid for breakfast i think.
Sticking a famous face on a poorly researched/badly copied figure will result that people buy this figure without actually being into WWI(WWII).

This selling tactic from DiD is going on for a while(early 2009) and does this hobby in my opnion no good.

I am certain that if DiD gets a good research team together and put great effort in getting all the details right that a historical accurate representation in scale 1/6th will be possible, sales would me so much higher without the need of these lame tactics.

DiD should learn from the amazing German WWI figure released by CalTek and Timewalker Toys & Collectibles.
Old 06-26-2012, 16:50
Truth and Honor

Well, their name does mean "Dragon In Dream"......dream on.......
Old 06-26-2012, 19:39
das sage ich nicht!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixthpolice View Post
Well, their name does mean "Dragon In Dream"......dream on.......
Why dream on? "Dragon in Dream" DID/3r have been producing figs that Dragon/DML or any other company for that matter, would never make! Not only that they make top-quality figs for a reasonable price, unlike DML with their unrealistic prices and quality from a bygone age. DiD Are on top of the 1/6 game at the moment so I'm sure they can "dream on" all the way to the bank

Although I do agree there's no harm in doing a bit of research, I don't know why they won't. Caltek did a great job on their World War I fig! Look and learn DiD.

Last edited by Von Luger; 06-26-2012 at 23:30.
Old 06-26-2012, 23:10
Truth and Honor

Quote:
Look and learn DiD
That's all I'm sayin'........

Last edited by onesixthpolice; 06-27-2012 at 12:19.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:29
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDUAUAIDW View Post
Sticking a famous face on a poorly researched/badly copied figure will result that people buy this figure without actually being into WWI(WWII).

This selling tactic from DiD is going on for a while(early 2009) and does this hobby in my opnion no good.

I am certain that if DiD gets a good research team together and put great effort in getting all the details right that a historical accurate representation in scale 1/6th will be possible, sales would me so much higher without the need of these lame tactics.

DiD should learn from the amazing German WWI figure released by CalTek and Timewalker Toys & Collectibles.
Yeah, DiD has certainly upped their game lately - I mean I like their stuff, but sometimes its a little shady.

Anyway, I will probably get this figure but replace the HS and save this for some other project.
Old 07-04-2012, 20:38
Unofficial researcher

Old 07-04-2012, 21:10
OSW Member

Better.