One Sixth Warriors: Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion

Go Back   OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum > Main Discussion Forums > Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.

Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion. Collect, Kitbash, Customize. All Brands, All Eras, All Genres.
WWII, Modern, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc. Anything directly related to 1/6th scale action figure collecting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 18:44
OSW Member

Anyone else experiencing military burnout?

Ok, it could just be that I throw money at 1/6 figures like an alcoholic throws money at a Liquor store.....but the latest wave of 1/6 military guys are leaving me cold.

In fact, the last wave...all the guys in woodland....I bought them but they left me cold too. I'm starting to experience...military fatigue, and I think its because so many guys come out at once that are identical to each other.

When Hot Toys shot out some military guys, you were reasonably sure the next figure wasn't going to be a repackaging of the last one with modernized or re-tooled gear. But I guess lately I'm looking at these guys coming out and going "meh". Have we been spoiled, you think?

Seems we don't get a PMC anymore, but we get a dozen guys in mix-and-match military camo. We get a dozen rangers who may or may not be rangers, or are they seals....lets look at the little patches....oh, our mistake, they're green berets! Whoops!

Where are the HALO guys....where are the UDT guys with wetsuits or drysuits? Where are the PMC's with the "wtf!?" gear selection.......I guess I'm just feeling like with all the Soldier Story releases, and now Toy City and the rest, instead of everyone just copying each other and releasing the same guy, there is room for some variation. I mean, Very Hot is still ripping off old Hot Toys sets in a way, its a shame their quality isn't equal to their cost (still).

I'm starting to feel like Soldier Story and its ilk are becoming the new Dragon. "oh look another seal, only THIS one has upgraded NVG's and his weapon has a silencer, and he has a completely NEW helmet! $120.00". Dunno, maybe this is what happens when the well starts to run dry......thoughts?
Old 02-10-2012, 18:47
Unofficial researcher

Re: Anyone else experiencing military burnout?

That's why I love Cal-Tek. I honestly think they might be the next 21C. Not in terms of how frequently they release their products, but in terms of imagination. So far, from Cal-Tek we have seen:

-WWII French Soldier (!)
-Chris Costa
-Dress Blues Marine
-ATACS

These are the kinds of things that I think Soldier Story and TC are afraid to touch - genuinely original products that look sweet. Todd McDunn and the Afghan Marine showed genuine promise to me, but they went back to "Every release a SEAL" right quick. Combine Cal-Tek's innovation with BGT going all 'Nam on us and I'm a genuinely happy camper. I'll still occasionally buy from Soldier Story (like their upcoming SEAL), but I look to Cal-Tek for the future of 1:6.
Old 02-10-2012, 19:05
uber noob assembler

which is why if something looks similar to one another, i just try to get loose parts (mostly the newly released/made gear) from one of the sets

eg. CD seal gunner - maybe loose parts, while SS seal would be a box set, or vice versa

www.dbtoyz.com
Old 02-10-2012, 19:36
AKA "ChiliDoug"

I am suffering from U.S. M.M.F.:

United States, Modern Military Fatigue. It's a subset of the syndrome you have described. Not to be confused with N.S.F., which is Navy Seal Fatigue, which I contracted long ago.
Old 02-10-2012, 19:46
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraten View Post
Not to be confused with N.S.F., which is Navy Seal Fatigue, which I contracted long ago.
I always laugh when I see people who refused to get vaccinated.
Old 02-10-2012, 19:50
OSW Member

I understand this is China we are talking about...where every new mold is being copied and snuck out "the back door" for someone else to make. I also understand that in order to maximize your profits you make a lot of one thing and re-use it (See: Dragon).

But there are simply too many of the exact same thing being released at the exact same time, and its making me go "Ok, you can hang a brand new plate carrier off some guy, but to me it looks just like the other ones on my shelf, I do not care that it is the modern updated one with the quick-release buckles and the map-pouch integrated into the chest piece"......yes there is a market for that kind of detail, but once the six of you buy it....the rest of us are left with 'the same damn thing as before'.

I do want to see some more NAM guys. BGT is a great start, but as we know their stuff is very particular......and the Hot Toys PLATOON figures really don't count. Why not some NAM guys? A SOG One-Zero, or even a SOG team? The coolest NAM guys on my shelf are still the two HT ones, even if they are variations on a theme.

Now is the time to do some 1970's and 1980's guys......not just Desert Storm/Shield.....fill in some blanks! We do not need another SAW gunner, another freakin overwatch Sniper, or another SEAL.

Wait, I take that back, why not a SEAL with a wet/dry suit...rebreather...have they fallen out of favor?? I can understand if people don't want a new HALO guy, but it seems such a shame that we are getting a ton of the same product at once.

I didn't even realize that TWO companies were releasing a figure based on the Bin Laden raid...seriously no idea, and I read this forum daily! I was like "Where's the dog? Oh wait its another figure!?!?!"......seriously.

And of course it looks like just a bunch of new crap with bits glued and velcroed and because of the camo pattern now its impossible to see any of it

And I haven't mentioned the forces of other countries...and yes, I'm talking about the ones that do NOT just use US Surplus equipment. I was watching NETFLIX streaming a documentary about some Dutch solders in Afghanistan. Ok, they're using M4's or the HK's......so why not a Brit? Just because you can still get the HT models? The ones that came semi-geared up? Brits, Germans, why not Russians?

I can appreciate that WW2 is being represented again where it wasn't before, I have about 200 dragon WW2 guys so I don't buy every WW2 release these days but at least I am glad they are out there, but there are other conflicts worth representing. And not the half-assed Dragon releases....

Imagine a Soldier Story Falklands figure?? I can.

Ah well...we live in a Golden Age of 1/6 collecting...we do...i thought it was going to peak in the early 2000's but i was wrong....that was the peak of children getting back into it, I think today we have peaked in the collectible world.....because of course once I stop buying EVERY new release I assume everyone else does, too
Old 02-10-2012, 19:55
Action Figure Fanatic

Nah I'm good so far. As you say, it is a Golden Age for 1/6, although I'm really more burned out on paying $200+ for Hot Toys.

Anyhoo, I've become interested in threeA now, so we'll see how that goes...
Old 02-10-2012, 20:08
making bacon baby

im totally seal-ed out out as well.id love some russians,nam,gulf war one..christ anything but another seal
Old 02-10-2012, 20:16
Riverboat engineman

It is mind boggling all the new stuff, that looks like the same stuff. I thought it was me!
I collect WWII American soldiers.
They look naked next to a "modern warrior"!
Old 02-10-2012, 20:21
Unofficial researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch1 View Post
A SOG One-Zero, or even a SOG team?
It's coming, coming soon
But yeah, and I'll be honest, BGT stuff is wayyyyyy expensive. $34 shipped for a uniform? I could honestly pick up a TS set right now (uniform top and trousers) for $25 shipped. We'll see how it pays off, eh?
Old 02-10-2012, 20:25
Major Rod

I got SEALed out long ago but otherwise no complaints.
Old 02-10-2012, 20:27
motivated and dedicated

For me I love the modern Marine grunts and the Rangers. I would love to see some 80's Rangers (panama/Grenada). I saw that doc on the Dutch and thought I would be interested in a Dutch soldier. Im not burned out because 1.) Im picky. I dnt just pick up all the new releases. In fact I dnt even have a SEAL. 2.)Im one of those "detail" guys. I haven't shown off my Marine or Rangers because I want it accurate.

That's just me.
Old 02-10-2012, 20:28
1:6 Warrior

My wallet is the difference really this year. I still love collecting modern military figures, the problem arises when the releases from the companies get closer and closer due to increased output. This in turn is making it harder to get the things that I want. This hobby is just too damn expensive.
Old 02-10-2012, 20:44
sits in a loose parts box

PASGT Soldier in woodland please.
Old 02-10-2012, 20:47
OSW Member

WEll.... I changed my habits.. to being a WWII completist to get the cooler HotToys figures.... those my CC can afford...... and then many loose parts from time to time......
Old 02-11-2012, 00:28
OSW Member

I'm not tired of modern military themed figures or sets. For me it's more a matter of carefully choosing what to buy. A lot of current boxed figures are pushing $120. They have incredible detail, which I'm grateful for, but at these prices I have to choose my figures carefully. Sometimes I'll pass on several releases before I buy a boxed set. In the meantime, I'm having fun kitbashing away.
Old 02-11-2012, 00:43
Likes little people

Location: "an 11 week college for the phoney tough and the crazy brave.."

I am sure its putting a squeeze on retailers too. Higher priceed figures at a large price point make choosing the correct amount of figures to order for their operation a very difficult thing. Order too many and have expensive figures sitting on a shelf
-order too few and when customers demand is high, you can't go back to wholesalers and get more because its ususally one shot and they're done. When Dragon was releasing 6 figures a month, the $40 SRP made it manageable-the same number of releases now from different manufacturers at more than $100 SRP make it a big crap shoot, cash flow wise.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:05
OSW Member

I see a lot of people here seemingly buying a crap-load of stuff. I think it's very possible to just burn out when you buy that much stuff. Like most things in life, moderation is best. But yes, I'd like to see some more obscure figs made. Problem is, people say they want this that and the other... then when it gets made, nobody buys it, and the SEALs still sell. So that's why they keep going back to that stuff. I actually think there's probably a majority of people outside this forum that are the real indicators of what sells and what doesn't. This here is sort of a microcosm... Which is the way it is with many hobbies.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:06
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch1 View Post
I understand this is China we are talking about...where every new mold is being copied and snuck out "the back door" for someone else to make. I also understand that in order to maximize your profits you make a lot of one thing and re-use it (See: Dragon).

But there are simply too many of the exact same thing being released at the exact same time, and its making me go "Ok, you can hang a brand new plate carrier off some guy, but to me it looks just like the other ones on my shelf, I do not care that it is the modern updated one with the quick-release buckles and the map-pouch integrated into the chest piece"......yes there is a market for that kind of detail, but once the six of you buy it....the rest of us are left with 'the same damn thing as before'.

I do want to see some more NAM guys. BGT is a great start, but as we know their stuff is very particular......and the Hot Toys PLATOON figures really don't count. Why not some NAM guys? A SOG One-Zero, or even a SOG team? The coolest NAM guys on my shelf are still the two HT ones, even if they are variations on a theme.

Now is the time to do some 1970's and 1980's guys......not just Desert Storm/Shield.....fill in some blanks! We do not need another SAW gunner, another freakin overwatch Sniper, or another SEAL.

Wait, I take that back, why not a SEAL with a wet/dry suit...rebreather...have they fallen out of favor?? I can understand if people don't want a new HALO guy, but it seems such a shame that we are getting a ton of the same product at once.

I didn't even realize that TWO companies were releasing a figure based on the Bin Laden raid...seriously no idea, and I read this forum daily! I was like "Where's the dog? Oh wait its another figure!?!?!"......seriously.

And of course it looks like just a bunch of new crap with bits glued and velcroed and because of the camo pattern now its impossible to see any of it

And I haven't mentioned the forces of other countries...and yes, I'm talking about the ones that do NOT just use US Surplus equipment. I was watching NETFLIX streaming a documentary about some Dutch solders in Afghanistan. Ok, they're using M4's or the HK's......so why not a Brit? Just because you can still get the HT models? The ones that came semi-geared up? Brits, Germans, why not Russians?

I can appreciate that WW2 is being represented again where it wasn't before, I have about 200 dragon WW2 guys so I don't buy every WW2 release these days but at least I am glad they are out there, but there are other conflicts worth representing. And not the half-assed Dragon releases....

Imagine a Soldier Story Falklands figure?? I can.

Ah well...we live in a Golden Age of 1/6 collecting...we do...i thought it was going to peak in the early 2000's but i was wrong....that was the peak of children getting back into it, I think today we have peaked in the collectible world.....because of course once I stop buying EVERY new release I assume everyone else does, too
- Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
I also understand that in order to maximize your profits you make a lot of one thing and re-use it (See: Dragon).
Yes - make no mistake, it's all about money, not some driven ambition to provide us collectors with a range of figures - they just want our wallets. Funny you should mention Dragon - their finished kitbashes of different WW2 Germans have kind of carried over into other companies and modern US special forces, and just as I don't buy any Dragon Germans any longer, I won't buy any modern US special forces either. This is partly because I lack an interest of SF, but also because I think these figures tend to become way too expensive.

One way I have managed to keep my interest in collecting alive is that I have switched focus totally, from military to civilian, which in turn will be the base for a) diorama making and b) a zombie apocalypse photostory.
OSW - if it wasn't for you presenting that idea, I wouldn't have thought about it.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:15
Pimpin' ain't easy

Wish I had some woodland, I have a bash in mind I'd like to do.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:21
OSW Member

pass on all th moderns for me, ive been waiting for a new WWI fig since 2005. and this is the year we finally start gettins some love!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:40
OSW Member

We probably have been spoiled....i'm passing on figures i would have jumped on a year back due to the flood coming through from all the manufacturer's...i really would have liked to buy the DAM Black Hawk Down figures and a few of the Toys City Modern figures as well but the releases from DID,Soldier Story,Crazy Dummy, Playhouse & Hot Toys keep getting in the way.....and with spiralling prices the choices are becoming more difficult to make.....just read a report that China's world exports are dropping...perhaps they may start dropping prices before they start losing jobs & factories etc....i think us 1/6th customers can only do so much to keep China's economy afloat...LOL's.
Chelseaboy
Old 02-11-2012, 09:37
Procastinatus Excelentus

I rarely buy modern boxed figures, that's why I ain't burned out, but if there's something really unique about the figure, I snatch it, like the SS PMC, who's Jeff Bridges head has yet to be released by HT (and I doubt I'll get it loose, but who knows)
Maybe both HT Brits, who's gear I love
Or the Battle:LA Marine, but he's an accurized movie marine (And I got double rifles with that).

Once I started to collect for the heck of it, I created a spreadsheet, marked slots for 3 teams and selected what each figure would represent with what gear, varied US, varied Brits, PMC.

So far I'm actually pleased with the results, as the blanks have been filling slowly, yes, I've made changes, lots, but that's why I've been doing things, nice and slow, don't try to eat the whole world If you haven't seen even half of it.

Oh, and I also have yet to collect WWII, and until I plan to, all DML releases are novelties for me
Old 02-11-2012, 10:05
OSW Member

Burned-out from modern figures?
More WW2 figures, and rare weapons set, please!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:47
OSW Member

"I do want to see some more NAM guys. Why not some NAM guys? A SOG One-Zero, or even a SOG team?"

I used to feel the same way, I wanted more Nam guys, here's the problem though (regardless of what others might say) Nam just doesn't pack the punch (as far as sales are concerned) as WWII and Germans do. (more so Germans)

we can all whine and say more Nam stuff more Nam stuff. (trust me we all have) the problem is that when a Nam figure comes out...all the online E-tailors have a hard time getting rid of their stock. it just doesn't sell. (sure some of us will say "shoot I'd buy it")

I'm with you on the Soldier Story stuff (although they do make a cool looking figure for sure) there's just too much that look too similar that are hitting the shelves too quickly.

Had both of the HT Platoon figures sold more...we would have seen more of the characters from the movie. I mean how many Iron Man figures have been released? see what I am saying, Iron Man sells.
I initially passed on the Platoon figures from my buddy Azteca because at the time I didn't have the money and I thought for sure they would pump out the entire cast from Platoon...I guess I was wrong huh?

but who knows? maybe they will hear our cries and say "let's make some new Nam era figures"
Old 02-11-2012, 13:16
OSW Member

I am pretty burned out on BUYING new military figures, uniforms, etc., but I still very much enjoy looking at the figures that I already have displayed in my office, whether American Civil War, WWII, or modern.

For me, there's just not much point in buying additional stuff to make even more figures that are so similar to what I already have. Sure there are hundreds of variations of Civil War infantry, artillery, and cavalry uniforms and equipment, both North and South, for example, but the theme is too much the same--shell jackets, frocks, kepis, slouch hats. Same goes for WWII or modern for me, at least recently.

Right now, I'd be very interested in branching out to get more samurai or figures in historically appropriate Chinese garb. In addition, I've been enjoying regular action movie type figures (Jason Bourne, etc.)
Old 02-11-2012, 13:44
UMMM UMMM B17C#

Yeah,in a way....I know that I am skipping the SS Neptune SEAL,mainly because,other than a few bits and pieces,its look is the same as the TC Neptune Seal.But the TC version appeals more to me because it has the K9 and the K9 gear,which is more original.

But as far as everything else,I really havent seen anything,other than the DAM figures that has called out to me lately.And I have been buying loosegear mainly to update older figures in my collection.
Old 02-11-2012, 22:19
OSW Member

I would say that I did NOT mean we flood the market with NAM (or Grenada or Cold War figures either for that matter), but it would be nice to see some updated kits. An Embassy SAS seige kit perhaps? A US Cold War Special Forces set? That kinda thing......

But yea I think we all just bought too much damn stuff the past 6 years and our shelves are looking crowded with Multicam, and the new digital camo patterns. Its funny, I don't have any worthwhile guys in chocolate chip camo on my shelf, I don't have but the 1 figure released in plain tan BDU's (I think it was a Toy Soldier release)......I would just hate to see the market start to dry up solely because of collector burnout.
Old 02-11-2012, 22:30
Major Rod

I just chuckle to myself about the preoccupation with special ops.
Old 02-12-2012, 00:36
Action Figure Fanatic

Spec Ops is sexxay lol.