One Sixth Warriors: Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion

Go Back   OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum > Main Discussion Forums > Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.

Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion. Collect, Kitbash, Customize. All Brands, All Eras, All Genres.
WWII, Modern, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc. Anything directly related to 1/6th scale action figure collecting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 11:11
1:6 Junkie

CalTek and Timewalker Toys Team Up on WWI Line

We have just received a press release from Timewalker Toys and CalTek announcing their collaboration on a new one-sixth scale World War One collectible figure line. Read on...

CalTek and Timewalker Toys Announce One-Sixth Scale World War One Collaboration

For well over a decade the one-sixth scale collectibles industry has focused on the Second World War, producing hundreds of high quality, historical figures. However, the First World War—the first half of the story—has received little attention from one-sixth manufacturers. But the marketplace is changing. With the approaching centennial in 2014, interest in World War One is on the rise. CalTek and Timewalker Toys plan to be there for one-sixth collectors in a big way!

CalTek International Corporation and Timewalker Toys & Collectibles began discussing a collaboration on a one-sixth scale World War One project over a year ago. Timewalker owners, Steven and Margaret Allen, life-long students of the First World War and militaria collectors, have advocated for a one-sixth treatment of this subject for many years. At the same time, David Trinh, general manager of action figure distributor and manufacturer CalTek, and CalTek marketing manager, John King, have been discussing ways to bring more product diversity to the market. Both companies arrived at a simultaneous conclusion: that the time was right for World War One! In May 2011, at CalTek's invitation, Timewalker put forth an official proposal for a new one-sixth scale World War One collectible figure line.

The joint venture between CalTek and Timewaker will be a sweeping study of the material culture of the combatants throughout the war. The foundation of the line will be an in-depth examination of original artifacts, with research and concept work provided by Timewalker and other authoritative sources from within the World War One research community. CalTek, which has been responsible for introducing several new and innovative products in recent years, will work with Timewalker to take the line from concept to final product.

The first regular release in the figure line will be widely available to the collecting community later this year.

CalTek and Timewalker now offer a sneak peak of their one-sixth scale wood and metal Mauser Gewehr 1898, Germany's primary infantry rifle during the First World War, for a forthcoming Early War Imperial German Infantryman. Stay tuned for this and other exciting announcements in the coming weeks...

About CalTek International Corporation
CalTek is a U.S. based wholesaler, distributor and manufacturer of high quality action figures and die cast models. CalTek services a worldwide distribution network from Pomona, CA.

About Timewalker Toys & Collectibles
Timewalker Toys & Collectibles is an internet-based retailer of quality one-sixth collectibles, which has operated from the Kansas City area since 2003.
Attached Thumbnails
CalTek and Timewalker Toys Team Up on WWI Line-wwi-teaserfinalcopy.jpg  

Last edited by JeffSaylor; 01-26-2012 at 11:23.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:25
OSW Member

Re: CalTek and Timewalker Toys Team Up on WWI Line

You guys are killing me.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:15
OSW Member

Yes....More WW1...Thank you.
Old 01-26-2012, 14:37
OSW Member

OK, with SO many WWII weapons still not available in wood/metal (M1 carbine, anybody?) it pains me to see resources going to a neglected part of the hobby that is such a small portion of the biz. Not because I don't want to see my WWI collector brothers left out, because it is great they are getting some love. But I fear the bulk needed to propel these companies to keep making stuff will simply not be there and they will go the way of the Sideshow line.

That said, let us all cross our fingers and hope this is a great step towards expanding the awesomeness of CalTek's offerings.
Old 01-26-2012, 14:46
OSW Member

Excelenet News. First DID's WW1 Tommy and now this!
Old 01-26-2012, 15:26
OSW Member

Great work fellows.......
Old 01-26-2012, 20:30
ladiesman217

YESSS!!!!! need to get a job....
Old 01-27-2012, 14:18
OSW Member

A nice addition. Hope it can come early.

Now, should you be not willing to wait, Battlegeartoys is already offering a large range of German WWI unifoms, helmets, and equipment !

And same with the French !
Old 01-28-2012, 17:40
12" nightmare

Two figures of the same battle theatre announced at the same time again... but different soldiers! How refreshing!
If companies would keep this up we might just shift from choosing between details to completing our collection
Old 01-31-2012, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentmid View Post
OK, with SO many WWII weapons still not available in wood/metal (M1 carbine, anybody?) it pains me to see resources going to a neglected part of the hobby that is such a small portion of the biz. Not because I don't want to see my WWI collector brothers left out, because it is great they are getting some love. But I fear the bulk needed to propel these companies to keep making stuff will simply not be there and they will go the way of the Sideshow line.

That said, let us all cross our fingers and hope this is a great step towards expanding the awesomeness of CalTek's offerings.

Think you need to remember that the Sideshow line left a lot to be desired .
For one thing people don't like it cause they will '' reissue '' their stuff , so why buy now and kills future value .
Remember had the Civil War guys and the paint jobs on the faces were terrible .
I had Dragon and Sideshow at the same time . People would look at the Dragon and go ''Nice '' and then open the flap on the Sideshow and make a scow .
Old 01-31-2012, 15:52

I am new to posting here so sorry if this has been mentioned a lot ... but why is it DID can make some of the bizarre stuff they do and not make something that would sell at least as many if not more than the bizarre stuff .
Like War Between the States
Viet Nam
WW1 ( well they finally caught on here)
I know these were made by SS . But the quality wasn't there amoung other things .
And they make figures with runs of 1000 or only for Hong Kong or something all the time so WBTS and VN would be able to sell that many .
Think it is a culture mind lock the main people have .
They have no history with WBTS and little with VN.
Old 01-31-2012, 16:17
medieval reenactor

Fantastic news! Waiting a long time for new German WW1 releases!

feel free to contact me: berndm01@yahoo.de
my homepage: http://www.onesixthknights.com/
Old 02-02-2012, 10:20
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouache View Post
I am new to posting here so sorry if this has been mentioned a lot ... but why is it DID can make some of the bizarre stuff they do and not make something that would sell at least as many if not more than the bizarre stuff .
Like War Between the States
Viet Nam
WW1 ( well they finally caught on here)
I know these were made by SS . But the quality wasn't there amoung other things .
And they make figures with runs of 1000 or only for Hong Kong or something all the time so WBTS and VN would be able to sell that many .
Think it is a culture mind lock the main people have .
They have no history with WBTS and little with VN.
Without wanting to start an argument Gouache, The American Civil War and Vietnam tend to only be of interest in The U.S. and there is a big world of collectors outside the U.S. WW1 is of universal interest especially as we come to the centenary of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand which kicked the whole thing off! Vietnam has had plenty of coverage! (I have a few Vietnam era figures myself.)
Old 02-26-2012, 00:14
OSW Member

Do we have any more information on this yet?
Old 02-27-2012, 15:37
OSW Member

I'm OK with WWI getting its just due, but we still have so many WWII guns YEARNING for an awesome metal/wood treatment (M1 carbine, anyone?) so just hope these companies still have the bandwidth to keep providing us in the big core of the hobby with new stuff. That said, it is exciting to see the growth in WWI as a new option.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:47
1:6 Dealer

Gentlemen and Ladies,

First, I'd like to say thank you for all of the great comments about the our announcement of collaboration with CalTek on the First World War in One-Sixth. After crying in the wilderness about this subject for nearly five years, it is very encouraging and, frankly, vindicating to see the ground swell of interest that we predicted. This post, to date, has received over 2,400 views, and I know many of you are excited to receive more news of progress on our Early War Imperial German Infantrymen. This will be coming soon.

As we indicated in the original press release at the top of the page, we have been working in earnest on our first figure since the Summer of 2011. It takes an enormous amount of research and collaboration, not just between CalTek and Timewalker, but with private collectors and museums, which hold some of the best World War One artifacts in the world. This is important, because our approach is quite different from the normal figure creation process. By taking our own high resolution photographs of the actual artifacts, doing our own measurements, and performing various spectral analyses of the fabric of the period, we will be able to bring the most detailed and historically accurate figure possible for the money to the marketplace. Stay tuned...

Second, I have received a number of personal emails regarding DiD's sudden announcement of their Early War Imperial German, and several of you have asked for comment. Of course, this puts us, as a retailer working on a similar project, in a very difficult position, since we are one of DiD's strongest supporters. As my grandmother Eiserer used to say, "If you can't say something nice in a difficult situation, then it is best to hold your cards close to your chest and say nothing at all." But the fact of the matter is this, as a student of the First World War, I believe I can say with some authority that DiD's figure is pretty good. Like all new concepts introduced into the One-Sixth marketplace, it has some kinks that need to be worked out, but it has a number of strengths as well. It would be imprudent and self serving to elaborate further in this forum, as our prototype is still in the works, but there will be plenty of opportunities for collectors, including myself, to weigh in on all World War One releases in the future.

I do, however, have one parting comment for now. Timewalker approached DiD Corporation nearly two and a half years ago about the possibility doing the First World War in One-Sixth. They already had a program in the works, and we wished them good luck. The point is, we encourage and welcome as many manufacturers as the industry will support to get into the First World War. We believe it strengthens World War One awareness and gives One-Sixth collectors greater diversity for exploring this pivotal 20th Century conflict. But I have to agree with Doorhammer's comment about how refreshing it would be to see this subject develop without the normal tit for tat we've seen between manufacturers over the years in World War Two. I can assure you, our potential audience, that we at Timewalker and CalTek have a very specific plan for developing World War One well into the centennial years, which will involve our own original research and design.

Here's to a bright future of World War One collecting...

Steven Allen
Timewalker Toys & Collectibles in collaboration with CalTek on the First World War in One-Sixth

Last edited by Timewalker1; 03-02-2012 at 09:50. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01
OSW Member

Spoken like a true Gentleman! Thank you Steve.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIN-ROH View Post
Spoken like a true Gentleman! Thank you Steve.
Thanks Jin-Roh.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:29
OSW Member

good luck guys Look's quite promissing so far
Old 03-02-2012, 11:39
OSW Member

Yes, I will add my wishes of good luck with this line. I will certainly be looking forward to forthcoming announcements. Particularly if you produce a young British officer!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:14
Biwa Hōshi

Great news. I am more interested in WWI than WWII, which is why I have a collection of WWI figures and about one WWII figure; which is some feat as the only historical era that most companies produce is WWII!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:22
OSW Member

It's very refreshing to hear this kind of positive comment from you, especially given the hard work you have been achieving and the fierce competition going on.

I wish you all the best for your coming figures, and will definitely be supportive.

And as far as your German figure, I will definitely be looking forward to your Model 1866 marching boots ;-)

Thank you and Bravo
Old 03-02-2012, 13:29
medieval reenactor

Looking forward to see the CalTek result. There is so many to do in ww1. It´s place for more than only the Did figure! Good luck guys.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:53
OSW Member

I'm buying one of each!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:16
1/6 maker

That's great news.
I just hope that research will be done PROPERLY.
Regarding the work done on the 1940 figure I just hope that Calltec will not simply open an OsPrey or just look at old Militaria magazine pictures.
For once I hope that the research will be made seriously.
There is a huge documentation available (also on English) so please do it properly.

The army world at this time was extremely regulated regarding uniforms so please open some books and READ the texts...

But I'm sure that you will do it ! Thanks for working on that subject.

Last edited by Pad75; 03-03-2012 at 02:55.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad75 View Post
That's great news.
I just hope that research will be done PROPERLY.
Regarding the work done on the 1940 figure I just hope that Calltec will not simply open an OsPrey or just look at old Militaria magazine pictures.
For once I hope that the research will be made seriously.
There is a huge documentation available (also on English) so please do it properly.

The army world at this time was extremely regulated regarding uniforms so please open some books and READ the texts...

But I'm sure that you will do it ! Thanks for working on that subject.

Pad75,

I could not agree with you more about the need to do research on this project properly. And for all of you reading this thread, let me be absolutely clear about a few points regarding our approach to this line of figures.

World War One is a life-long passion of mine. I collect authentic militaria from the period (when I can afford it). My wife and I do volunteer work at the National World War One Museum and we have known the museum staff for years, especially Doran Cart, the curator of the museum, who is a personal friend of ours. Additionally, I do living history presentations in both German and French uniforms at the museum, and I am a founding member of the Midwest Great War Living History Association. I have become friends with Stephen Previtera, who wrote the Prussian Blue and the The Iron Time reference books (by the way, he has a new 3 volume set coming out in May on Imperial German flight badges of the First World War- won't that be fun!). I have also come to know Stephan Rest, the editor of that fabulous series of WWI references books from Verlag Militaria. Both of these gentleman have offered to assist in the project in any way they can. In preparation for this project I have made a point of contacting several of the big name private collectors in the WWI community over the past 7-8 years. One of the biggest Imperial German collectors lives right here in Kansas City, but I don't think he would like for me to divulge his name. 80% of the forthcoming figure is based on items which we photographed from his personal collection. Our reference for the CalTek tunic is based on about hundred photographs we took of a tunic from an east coast collector and the tunic on display in the main gallery of the National World War One Museum. Additionally, I have built a WWI reference library on uniforms and equipment over the past 15 fifteen years, which only the top WWI collectors could rival.

So that we're clear on the research and production process for this line, Timewalker Enterprises Inc (doing [retail] business as Timewalker Toys & Collectibles) is doing the research and conceptual work on this line of figures. CalTek is responsible for taking the research we provide (in the form of a 50 page Visual Guide on this first figure alone, which is the distillation of hundreds of hours of work and thousands of photos) to their various specialty manufacturers in China, making sure they follow our research as closely as possible. Timewalker and CalTek will then work together to critique and correct each prototype until it is completed to our satisfaction. We will then work together to develop a marketing plan for each figure and bring it to the marketplace for you, the World War One enthusiast.

This brings up another point. Timewalker has put an enormous amount of effort into this project. We could not afford to make this line exclusive to our company, and in the best interest of making sure WWI becomes a widespread subject in One-Sixth, I'm not sure it would have been to right to make it exclusive to us anyway. Simply put, the regular line of WWI product from the CalTek/Timewalker team will be available at most One-Sixth retailers, but we are asking the collecting community to support Timewalker on this line whenever possible, because the more we are supported, the better we are able to fund future research projects. While working on this project, we have also simultaneously been working on a brand new website for our business, which will incorporate some much needed modern features. The website will be launching very soon, and its launch is specifically designed to coincide with the new product line announcement. Anyway, once our WWI line is established, Timewalker hopes to issue the occasional exclusive figure or accessory, which will only be available from us. We already have some ideas in mind for this.

I hope that gives you some insight into what we believe is a rather unique approach in the industry to crafting our First World War figure line in One Sixth.

Feel free to reference this post in any other part of this forum or any forum, for that matter, that you wish.

Steven Allen
Timewalker Toys & Collectibles in collaboration with CalTek on the First World War in One-Sixth
New Release Link: CalTek and Timewalker Toys Team Up on WWI Line

Last edited by Timewalker1; 03-04-2012 at 08:18. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13
1/6 maker

Thanks Steven for your response !
That's a great perspective.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:33
medieval reenactor

I'm sure you did a good work on it and i'm looking forward to see your results.

Old 03-04-2012, 17:49
Rodolfo strikes again !!!

I will be waiting the final product offered by TWT/Caltek, looks like they are taking the researching seriously.

I only hope that the HS would be a generic WWI german soldier.

Fingers crossed to see a Chasseurs Alpins n the future.

Jaime.
Old 03-04-2012, 23:54
OSW Member

Alright Timewalker I'll buy two of yours.