Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Blood Meridian" - Judge Holden

"Blood Meridian" - Judge Holden

"Blood Meridian: or The Evening Redness In The West" by Cormac McCarthy is considered by many to be one of the most violent pieces of American literature ever, so please keep that in mind when viewing this next bash. If you're not familiar with McCarthy, you probably know titles like,

"No Country For Old Men"
    "The Road"
    "All the Pretty Horses"

I won't go into many story details, because if you haven't read it you should treat yourself to this modern western classic (before Ridley Scott makes the movie ), but this particular character, Judge Holden, (who is mostly referred to in the book as simply "the judge") is the villain of the story, and though McCarthy is never explicit in telling us who or what he is, it's pretty obvious that he's either The Devil Himself, or War incarnate.

McCarthy is an amazing writer because he's developed this strange method of fascinating you with his characters, while at the same time never really telling you much about their physical attributes, so a lot was left open to interpretation.

All we do know about Judge Holden is that he's a very tall, hairless, pale man (probably albino because of his sensitivity to the sun) of high intellect and brutality. Extreme brutality. Also, he doesn't age and he's well-versed in theology, which would lead to the conclusion he could be Satan.

I didn't make this figure to glorify the character or his actions (obviously...he's the freaking devil) but I obtained the SS Gentleman figure in a trade and found the sculpt to be pretty unique, and it just happened from there. With that in mind, I hope the content doesn't offend anyone, as the gore of this bash pertains largely to the events of the book, and wasn't included merely because I may or not be a deviant.

Anyway, enough's enough already. Hope you enjoy. I know it's a strange one so bear with me, and as always--any and all comments questions and criticisms are welcome.

The judge:

RECIPE:

I repainted the SS Gentleman figure, as he was more of a gray color, his sockets were black and his teeth were almost silver.

The coat, pistol & belt are BattleGear.

The hat is pretty much custom, as it was an old white floppy hat that I styled & painted. The hatband is from the BBI Sheriff figure.

Shirt is from SS Han Solo.

Pants are actually from the original Gentleman figure.

Boots---sorry, don't know. Buckles have been painted.

Wrists are originally wrapped with frayed cloth to hide the flesh-colored body which was exposed whenever his arms were raised, but I think they ended-up improving the overall look.

Beads and Knife are from Dog Soldiers.

Scalps are real. I found a village of Brownies living in my flower garden and went medieval on them. Or, they could be doll-hair and leather. I forget.
    "Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil."
    -C.S. Lewis

Very cool my friend..Love the scalps

Not familiar with the subject, but by reading the description looks like you've done a damn cool rendition with the character. Sweet rework on the Gentleman HS. That last shot gave me the chill down the spine.

Awesome figure. I'll have to pick up the book. Thanks for sharing this chilling piece of art.

Amazing figure, man!

WHoa man that is freakin badass! I love the repoanted hs and the figure is way cool, you did a great job on him my friend Brilliant work
    -mike-

Cool beans, man

I just picked this book up this week. Nice figure.
    "Nothing is more frustrating than piloting concentrated adrenaline in a sea of buzzkill."

That is really an amazing custom... love the pop of color from the beads!

Is the coat from the Sideshow George Washington? I need a coat like that for a figure...
    Rabble, rabble, rabble...
    My Figure Collection

extremely cool... Great work!

i need to read that book now

Thanks, guys! I appreciate you taking the time to look and for all of the comments.

To those picking up the book, I hope it doesn't disappoint. The pacing is, odd...but it's fascinating stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactiboy View Post
    Is the coat from the Sideshow George Washington? I need a coat like that for a figure...

The coat is from BattlegearToys. You can get it from their site, or from Good Stuff To Go.

I really have to watch myself on their site. I could go crazy with 1:6 western gear
    "Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil."
    -C.S. Lewis

VERY cool, I just used the same sculpt as a base for The Joker. A REALLY eerie sculpt

One of the best books I've ever read,and the use of descriptive language of the the landscape is astonishing. After four decades, it looks like Carmac has fnally gotten the mainstream recognition he deserves.

On the figure, very nice work indeed. I always pictured actor Tom Noonan as being a terriffic Judge Holden. Especially his character from Manhunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Figure View Post
    One of the best books I've ever read,and the use of descriptive language of the the landscape is astonishing. After four decades, it looks like Carmac has fnally gotten the mainstream recognition he deserves.

On the figure, very nice work indeed. I always pictured actor Tom Noonan as being a terriffic Judge Holden. Especially his character from Manhunt.
    Hey thanks for the compliment.

It is strange the guy's been around so long, and writing so much great stuff and it kind of took the Coen brothers to put him on the map. I'd never even heard of the guy until The Road came out and that got me hooked. It's a shame that Crichton & Grisham are household names while McCarthy isn't.

Tom Noonan's an interesting choice, but man that's going to be a hard role to cast. Hell, it's going to be a very tough movie to make, because the environments alone play such a huge role in the story, there isn't really a traditional five-part plot, no "MacGuffin", and all of the main characters are bad people in general.

And I'm a huge fan of Ridley Scott...but I'm not so sure he's the right man for the job.

I honestly can't say off the top of my head who I have in mind as the judge. Ron Pearlman is the kind of "obvious choice", though I honestly don't think he could pull it off. I saw Desperation.

Check out the boards on IMDB sometime. Those people come up with some great ones....like Michael Clarke Duncan
    -C.S. Lewis

wow!!!

read the book a few months ago, and it left me feeling unsettled and kinda unclean.... this fig really creeps me out, and considering the character thats a compliment. the scalps are really a good finishing touch, and i just have to say- thats freaking evil (lol)!!!

cheers,
    rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton16 View Post

The coat is from BattlegearToys. You can get it from their site, or from Good Stuff To Go.

I really have to watch myself on their site. I could go crazy with 1:6 western gear
    Thanks, I wasn't familiar with them... great looking stuff and great prices! I think I found a new vice
    Rabble, rabble, rabble...
    My Figure Collection

He's very wicked looking. I'm gonna have to check out the book now!
    "I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle."
    Trade feedback:
    http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ghlight=spyder

Excellent figure!!! beast work
    With that judge anyone in the protest room requires many as him

That is really cool.

Go Figure - Tom Noonan is a good shout for The Judge.

One of my favourite books of all time Ashton - so many crazy parts, like when they come under attack from the Sioux tribe who are all decked out in Conquistador armour, the Judge making the gunpowder out of urine, the bear carryine the tracker off, oh my. And just the craziness of the landscape, the electrical storms in the desert and that.

Damn, I think I might read it again.
    'I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.'

Great figure, sorry I missed it when it first got posted. I didn't learn about it until reading the KOTM noms.

Now I gotta go to the book store... Thanks Ashton.
    got privilege?

The + comments mean a lot coming from the talent we have around here, so I genuinely appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroi View Post
    That is really cool.

Go Figure - Tom Noonan is a good shout for The Judge.

One of my favourite books of all time Ashton - so many crazy parts, like when they come under attack from the Sioux tribe who are all decked out in Conquistador armour, the Judge making the gunpowder out of urine, the bear carryine the tracker off, oh my. And just the craziness of the landscape, the electrical storms in the desert and that.

Damn, I think I might read it again.
    There really is a lot to take in---and I'm with you on reading it again. Few books are repeats for me, but Blood Meridian joins the ranks of those that I absolutely have to revisit before I go the way of the DoDo.
    -C.S. Lewis

Ashton, where did that hat come from? It looks like it has a wire brim?
    got privilege?

that is one cool and creepy figure. Now, I think I might have to get the book and read it.

Quote Originally Posted by KneeJoint View Post
    Ashton, where did that hat come from? It looks like it has a wire brim?
    I don't know who makes them, but I picked them up from DYE-GSG90 here on the boards. Check numbers 11, & 12 in the second pic of his thread:

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=65546

They were floppy hats so I cut off the bands and painted one of them, which helped give it a little stiffness. From there I styled it using a little superglue.

A dab of glue where you want each curvature to be, and once it dries you can pretty much shape it how you like.

Hope this helps.
    -C.S. Lewis

I don't know who makes them, but I picked them up from DYE-GSG90 here on the boards. Check numbers 11, & 12 in the second pic of his thread:

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=65546

They were floppy hats so I cut off the bands and painted one of them, which helped give it a little stiffness. From there I styled it using a little superglue.

A dab of glue where you want each curvature to be, and once it dries you can pretty much shape it how you like.

Hope this helps.
    Sweet! Thanks for the great tip.
    got privilege?

Hey thanks for the compliment.

It is strange the guy's been around so long, and writing so much great stuff and it kind of took the Coen brothers to put him on the map. I'd never even heard of the guy until The Road came out and that got me hooked. It's a shame that Crichton & Grisham are household names while McCarthy isn't.

Tom Noonan's an interesting choice, but man that's going to be a hard role to cast. Hell, it's going to be a very tough movie to make, because the environments alone play such a huge role in the story, there isn't really a traditional five-part plot, no "MacGuffin", and all of the main characters are bad people in general.

And I'm a huge fan of Ridley Scott...but I'm not so sure he's the right man for the job.

I honestly can't say off the top of my head who I have in mind as the judge. Ron Pearlman is the kind of "obvious choice", though I honestly don't think he could pull it off. I saw Desperation.

Check out the boards on IMDB sometime. Those people come up with some great ones....like Michael Clarke Duncan
    Why not Heath Ledger? He's awesome at playing maniacle characters
    Me - "There is a cougar loose in the carnival!"
    Girl (in response to what I just said) - "My mother?!"

One of my favorite writers. He just has that style doesn't he. Maybe with NCFOM being made and the Road in production we'll see BLOOD MERDIAN made into film someday, though I doubt the cameras could pull it off.lol
    Very good rendition of the Judge too.
    "its a cesspool down here, and when you make waves I get a mouthful"

Re: "Blood Meridian" - Judge Holden

One of my favorite books of all time. One of my favorite villains of all time.

This is excellent work. I enjoy the last picture the best. Sent you a pm regarding usage

I'm glad this was brought up because it's an awesome figure. Wow! That face will haunt my dreams. What a great use of that sculpt. Even turning the hand into a smoking hand was a stroke of genius.. adds just the right touch to the fig.
    One Sixth Celebs
    http://www.famousfigures.com

V.I.K.I.: Do you not see the logic of my plan?
    Sonny: Yes, but it just seems too.. heartless.

This is one of the those figures that is so well done I have found myself thinking about it over the years. I'm glad this thread was bumped as well.
    The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
    Is the terrible AT-AT Walking Machine.
    It's as big as a house on walking legs,
    And whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.