19 转轮手鎗*1/Revolver*1

20 信号弹发射枪*1/Signal Gun*1

21 信号弹*4/Signal Gun Ammo*4

22 手表*1/Air Ministry Pilots Wristwatch*1

23 地图*1/Map*1

24 军衔袖标*2/Military Rank Cuff Title*2

See less See more
#6 ·
It's not my niche and I can't comment on the accuracy but it's a good looking release. If this is successful, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a Soviet WW2 pilot next. That's a subject that I don't think has been touched before and considering the number of Soviet subjects that they've done, it seems like it would be a natural choice. There are lots of other opportunities as well such as Italian, Chinese or other pilots from WW2 air forces that haven't been done. I think part of the choice in doing this particular figure might well be a testing of the waters on AL's part. While a German might seem like the best choice, it probably wouldn't be a good candidate for judging the interest in WW2 pilots as a whole because German figures tend to sell well even when similar subjects don't. Even while WW2 pilots don't interest me, I hope that this does well and is only the beginning of other pilot figures to come. AL hasn't done any WW1 subjects but if they can spark an interest in pilots in general, hopefully the future will see the release of some new WW1 pilots. If this was an RFC pilot, I would be all over it! Actually, any new WW1 pilot figures would be of great interest to me.

#10 ·
Alert Line jumping right into it, with an entire figure! I guess they are linked to DAM somehow, as they use the body. Guessing that's the big body, which there must be massive stockpiles of. I agree that a chute would be nice...and more expensive. Gone are the days of bbi's carded sets. My one real grouse would be the goggles, which look pretty cheap. The RAF flying helmet is an iconic item, granted it is a bit complicated in detail, but this one suffers from the poorly-executed goggles.

#11 · (Edited)
I like this a lot.
I do have to agree with pukingdog about the goggles, they could have been executed better.

The Irvin jacket seems to have a great cut to it, but bothers me a bit. It has two slash pockets on the front which I believe is not a feature of the pattern issued during the Battle of France and The Battle of Britain. The 4 part back and 4 part front would also be unusual for an Irvin of that period and as pukingdog's pic shows the seams are covered with strips of leather which are sewn over them. It could be that they have copied what was used in the film, but either way it is a little way off what a 1940 Irvin would have looked like to my eye. Could always be a private purchase.

None the less it is really great to see a company make a subject like this, and the quality looks superb and there is lots to commend it.

Update

Just found this page which shows Tom Hardy's Costume from Dunkirk. It would seem that the Irvin in the set is different to the one worn in the film. Pics might offer some good reference.

Dunkirk Movie RAF Costume on Display at the RAF Museum

#12 ·
Wow, I didn't see this coming - what a pleasant surprise! I especially like the uniform. Looks very crisp especially the collar which can be rather bulky. Still not quite the right RAF blue but better than any other offerings to date, at least to my eyes. I think Santa knows what to get me this year!

#13 ·
I am sorry Spitfire you are just biased (given your Nick)
That being said I really like it but is the life very a bit bright for the period?

I'm really tempted but I need a WAAF officer to go with him and a scale Spitfire mk 4 to 9 with Merlin and cannon.

I'd love to create a diorama of that in respect to my past self (hearing a Spitty with Merlin always makes me cry!)

#14 ·
I am sorry Spitfire you are just biased (given your Nick)
That being said I really like it but is the life very a bit bright for the period?

I'm really tempted but I need a WAAF officer to go with him and a scale Spitfire mk 4 to 9 with Merlin and cannon.

I'd love to create a diorama of that in respect to my past self (hearing a Spitty with Merlin always makes me cry!)
Yes, I'm thoroughly biased!! I have one of the King Toys life jackets, which is tan in colour that I will use in place of this one. I read somewhere that they were issued in tan and painted yellow in the field for better visibility.

Good luck on your hunt for a 1/6 Spitty! That is my holy grail. :)

#19 ·
Meh! Looks nice but I'm not sold on this release as I still prefer my Kings Toys RAF figure.

Why is it that they still couldn't tailor a decent 1941 RAF pattern life jacket? Another missed opportunity.

#24 ·
Yeah, I am not sure when the pattern changed and the seams are definitely not on modern RAF uniform jackets, but it was certainly a part of the RAF regulation wartime pattern for uniform tunics.

Here is a pic of the War time tunic of Sqn Ldr. Lawrence 'Benny' Goodman of Dam Busters fame, which again shows the seam on each side of the upper chest.

Outerwear White Dress shirt Military uniform Human body

I would be more worried about the Irvin jacket to be honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.