Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: 1:6 brands/manufacturers/studios you're not inclined to buy from . . .

1:6 brands/manufacturers/studios you're not inclined to buy from . . .

See subject.

The following is my personal 1:6 $%^& list comprised of 1:6 brands/manufacturers/studios I would not buy from/support due to past experiences ranging from lackluster final design, production, and quality based my preferences as a 1:6 collector.

Which 1:6 brand/manufacturer/studio is on your 1:6 $%^& list (i.e. not likely to / will not buy from)?

• ACE TOYZ
    • ASMUS aka @$$MUS
    • KUMIK
    • REDMAN TOYS
    • SIDESHOW
    • STAR ACE
    • SUPERMAD TOYS
    • THREEZERO (NOTE: The only item I have on pre-order is "Sil" from SPECIES because I really want a 1:6 "Sil"; however, I may regain my senses and cancel it.)

The preceding is my list.

How about yours?
    Last edited by DeltaForceChung; 12-07-2017 at 15:37.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Re: 1:6 brands/manufacturers/studios you're not inclined to buy from . . .

Don't have any brands in a $#!+ list, but I don't particularly like any of the products made by the ones in your list either.
    Happily collecting 1:6 modern military since 1998, and not a single HT figure ever bought...

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

Agree with most of your list but disagree on Threezero (they have had some real winners in with the fails and their prices have been thus far way better than HT) and also kinda disagree on Sideshow, because again they sometime do some great stuff but admittedly they are nearly on the list for me due to their high prices to low quality ratio.

I know 3A have had some major fails in their time too (Halo Master Chief for example) but again I can't yet add them to the list because they do have a lot of great figures in their catalogue and again they have usually had better prices than HT.

I am not really for or against any specific brands, but rather take figures on a case by case basis. Some figures are absolute crap while others are great, and almost every company has put out both.

In the case of HT the prices are sky high and they are very well established and yet they still put out some fails.

I guess the only brand I will not buy from at all (at least as of now) is M8. If they can manage to actually produce something and deliver it with reasonable quality I might change my mind but for now I am keeping far away from that.

I’d nominate Big Chief Studios. I knew better but just picked up their Martin Freeman head sculpt, and it’s awful with a crap paint job. Why are the eyebrows shiny? WTF.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 12-07-2017 at 07:34.

Pop Culture Shock. How theyre still in business is a mystery.

I’ll add molecule 8.

I would not PO from either directly.
    Last edited by ali032373; 12-06-2017 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    Agree with most of your list but disagree on Threezero (they have had some real winners in with the fails and their prices have been thus far way better than HT) and also kinda disagree on Sideshow, because again they sometime do some great stuff but admittedly they are nearly on the list for me due to their high prices to low quality ratio.

I know 3A have had some major fails in their time too (Halo Master Chief for example) but again I can't yet add them to the list because they do have a lot of great figures in their catalogue and again they have usually had better prices than HT.

I am not really for or against any specific brands, but rather take figures on a case by case basis. Some figures are absolute crap while others are great, and almost every company has put out both.

In the case of HT the prices are sky high and they are very well established and yet they still put out some fails.

I guess the only brand I will not buy from at all (at least as of now) is M8. If they can manage to actually produce something and deliver it with reasonable quality I might change my mind but for now I am keeping far away from that.
    Also surprised you have Three Zero on your list. I have no idea what or which figures earned its place there. But I'm hopeful about 3-0. TWD figures look good. And if they continue to pursue figures of this type, hopefully we'll see improvements in some of their weak areas of production. But definitely agree with you about Sideshow and Redman.
    "Be sad! Be glad! Be neither! Seek, or shun!
    Thou hast no reason why! Thou canst have none;
    Thy being's being is a contradiction." S.T. Coleridge

My only bad listed company is POP Toys that gave me Girl Clan Ranger aka Sweet Pea of Sucker Punch where the head and body colour didn't match at all. But then, because of the mismatch, it started me off into 1/6 kitbashing territory.

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsrcoll78 View Post
    Also surprised you have Three Zero on your list. I have no idea what or which figures earned its place there.
    They did great work on the EM208, Fallout figures, Titanfall Pilot, Dead Space Isaac Clarke etc, and others such as the Crysis Nanosuit Prophet, which while not perfect to me (seamless style soft pvc over plastic figure) are still doing certain things better than HT (you can actually pose the Crysis Nanosuit, quite unlike say HT's Arkham Batman...

And then of course there are the ones I don't own but have seen in person that are great: TMNT figures, the Walking Dead line, the Game of Thrones line (though some flaws they are overall very good), Berserk Guts and of course the new Ultraman that is starting to arrive to customers that based on pics so far is awesome!

I will also take exception to 3Z. I think they found a sweet spot in the market of making B/B+ figures for $150.

Initially they mishandled TWD but they have really righted the ship IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung View Post
    See subject.

• THREEZERO (NOTE: The only item I have on pre-order is "Sil" from SPECIES because I really want a 1:6 "Sil"; however, I may regain my senses and cancel it.)
    I just recap Species 1995. Just checked out the Threezero figure too. I wish they also release Sil's normal human head! with that white dress, of course!

Totally agreeing with Odysseus, I have nothing good to say about Big Chief down to the very heart of their fan-exploitative business model (though I did end up owning two of their Doctors and a Tardis).

I know what ali032373 is getting at but I can't quite agree with putting Molecule 8 on this list -- in a theoretical way I would be inclined to buy from them if it was possible to do so, which probably, it's not... Can't talk about them the way we talk about, say, Sideshow or 3A.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

I’m with Jaztermareal. I don’t have any one specific company/brand I refuse to buy from. It’s more on a case by case basis. VTS did a pretty good job on the Wasteland Ranger, but their Epoch Cop turned out pretty bad. 3Z’s Daenerys looks pretty crap, but some of their other offerings haven’t been bad. Star Ace, or Star Disgrace (as someone poetically coined them over the Freaks) seems to have given up making quality products, and all of their latest offerings (all female coincidentally), have looked like utter s$*t. As much as Sideshow can piss me off, I think their Lobo figure turned out pretty cool. Although Snake Plissken required a repaint to bring out more of Russell in the sculpt, at least it wasn’t the floppy piece of trash that most of their prior figures were.

I’ll agree you cant really put M8 in the category of a bad manufacturer since they haven’t released anything. But how they handled the Lennon figure was a textbook lesson in mismanagement. Credible claims of deception. Being that was their 1st release they did themselves no favors.

Btw- Sideshow’s Lobo is quietly one of the coolest figures ever made. Theres some real magic to that figure when you get it out of the box.

I don't foresee ever buying another Hot Toys figure again and can't remember the last SST figure I bought.
    "You calling it your job don't make it right, boss."

Cool Hand Luke

What sucks (but is reality) is: It all comes down to money and popularity. Hot Toys is both financially able to do whatever they want, and popular enough to make thier failures into successes. I mentioned in a previous thread that 1/6 scale collecting has become a couture hobby (like where owning a good 1/6 scale figure is like owning a Versace pin striped suit). I genuinely hope these other companies can keep up/grow up so we as collectors have more choices. I'd love a figure that can be heavily articulated; is "movie-accurate" and has a sturdy composition with little quality issues!!!! But which brand offers ALL of the above???? It's the end of 2017, you'd think there would be at least one company that could mass produce a boxed figure that wouldn't require massive kit bashing.
    "Be sad! Be glad! Be neither! Seek, or shun!
    Thou hast no reason why! Thou canst have none;
    Thy being's being is a contradiction." S.T. Coleridge

Depends on the figure, not the Brand for me. Only Three Zero I bought I'm happy with.
    1:6 brands/manufacturers/studios you're not inclined to buy from . . .-fallout4_n-jpg
    And happy with Redman's Deputy Marshall. Got 2 figures for $135.00 plus some loose parts.
    1:6 brands/manufacturers/studios you're not inclined to buy from . . .-youcalleddownthethunder_n-jpg
    1:6 brands/manufacturers/studios you're not inclined to buy from . . .-wyatt1sixth_n-jpg
    Now the Doc Holiday I only used for parts. Headsculpt sucked.

I Agree WITH most of DFC list. Going to add Kaustic, Easy and Simple mainly because of pricing, not that their products are bad but for me way over priced. I Typically see their name and skip the thread all together.....not paying their asking price

Kumik, I guess is mine, not really a quality issue, but just because the color of the heads I've received is weird and doesn't match any bodies except their own, which are terrible. Also, their head connectors aren't compatible with any industry standard, so you have to Frankenstein the thing together and it never looks quite right.

Coomodel

Well, I have given them many chances over the years and even used to love their weapons. But the bodies
    really were the nail in the coffin for me. Such poor materials and QC issues. I know people like them
    because they're cheap, but in this case, you really get what you pay for. Brittle plastics, joint issues
    are some of the worst I've come across in any body. And DFC knows, this is not over just 1 or 2 bodies,
    but dozens and different styles. I even did some reviews against 3 other brand of bodies.
    I'm not a hater, they just don't cut it.

There are many other companies that make $20 dollar bodies that are much better.
    And now they're making all their new figures with those horrible bodies.
    I can't see anything good coming out of that.