Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated

Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated

Some time ago I did a review of Jiaou Doll's 3.0 female body (non-removable feet) on this forum (HERE). Since then I have gotten a few more of these (and the ones with removable feet were even better in my book), and my first Jiaou male body arrived yesterday. Naturally, I am offering a review with 23 photos below.

Since there aren't that many really seamless bodies out there, the natural point of reference (some might say "inspiration" or worse) would be TBLeague (formerly Phicen). The review contains numerous references and comparisons to TBLeague bodies. In cases where both Jiaou and TBLeague bodies both appear in the photos below, they are clearly labeled, but Jiaou is also always on the left, and TBLeague always on the right. Remember all these bodies come head-less, and the heads are supplies by me. (Speaking of, both heads were recently converted by removing their necks, so the lower edges might appear a bit jagged.) Also, since this is an unclothed body and since the review focuses on its appearance and its articulation, prepare yourself for lots of pale male flesh (that rhymed!). But we're keeping everything within the bounds of propriety, and the shorts on.

Corrected info: The official name for this Jiaou Doll male body is JOK-11C-BS ("wheat" skin tone); my box did not have the label on it, but a later purchase demonstrated that and its difference from JOK-11C-YS ("natural" or rather pale) and JOK-11C-WS ("white"?, super pale, and unclear if this has been released at all).

Update: here are eight different Jiaou Doll bodies (several obtained since the original review was posted), correctly labeled. I have not always found a perfect match between head and body. In this one image, the head used here on the "wheat" body has been transferred to the "natural" body, since it was the closest (albeit very imperfect) match. For more info, check out the separate post further below.

Packaging and Accessories: the packaging is same as that for Jiaou Doll 3.0 female bodies (see HERE), but the box is a little narrower. The box's front can be opened to reveal a graphic showing the active stainless steel joints and, below a transparent plastic cover, the body. The body itself sits in the top plastic tray of two, the lower one holding the stand and its elements, and the spare hand sculpts. A transparent plastic baggie holds a pair of extra feet and four (4) extra male members of various dimensions, one of them positively equine (not shown here, for the sake of propriety). Since the body comes with a tiny shy member sculpted on (the alternatives are apparently supposed to fit over it), I have thrown a pair of briefs on it, again for the sake of propriety.

The body comes wearing a pair of relaxed hands. The extra hand sculpts are: a pair of fist hands, a pair of knife-grip hands, and a pair of gun-grip hands. The hands swap more easily than TBLeague hands, but perhaps too easily.

The body comes wearing a pair of flat feet. The extra foot sculpt is a pair of slightly bent feet. When I saw the body advertised, I was hoping these would have toes bent enough for crouching poses (like those made by ACI), but the difference between Jiaou's regular foot and bent foot is in fact minuscule. It is actually difficult to notice, except by looking at them this way:

The feet swap with a little more difficulty than TBLeague feet.

There is also an instruction leaflet, which was apparently designed for an earlier (and unrealized?) version of the product, in which the feet were not removable:

Other inapplicable features in the leaflet include the choice of alternate neck pegs; unlike the female bodies that really came with several options, the male body came only with the standard ball neck peg.

Earlier promotional materials indicated the inclusion of shorts and an undershirt (for example, see HERE), but these were not included.

Here are a couple of shots of the articulation of the Jiaou male body by itself:

and

Comparison to first Phicen male body (M30): One advantage for Jiaou is the opportunity to learn from Phicen's early mistakes. When Phicen's M30 (see HERE) appeared, it caused much disappointment for being too short and too light in color. Well, it seems like Jiaou has learned the first part of the lesson: Jiaou's male seamless body is significantly taller than M30, about 28.5 cm to the top of the neck peg. The second part of the lesson, however, has gone unheeded. Jiaou's body is even lighter (though a warmer tone) than Phicen's M30. I was actually surprised I was able to find a head sculpt to match the Jiaou body. You can see a comparison between the Jiaou and Phicen M30 bodies in height and skin tone here:

Comparison to Phicen's M33 body:
    Jiaou's male body is not exactly like any specific Phicen/TBLeague product, but as a physical type, it falls somewhere between M32 (see HERE) and M33 (see HERE). M32 is slimmer, M33 is buffer (but also shorter, because of Phicen's ill-advised decision to go with a shorter body plus those disturbing ankle extenders). For the purposes of comparisons of the body's look and articulation, I have paired it with M33 in the photos below.

Overall, Jiaou's male body is nicely sculpted, and in most places a close match for Phicen's work, allowing for a difference in desired look (for example, M33 was clearly intended to have bigger biceps and triceps). The nipples are more sharply sculpted than Phicen's, but remain unpainted (judging by the female bodies, if they had painted them, they might have been too orange). The feet and especially the hands are not sculpted as carefully and sharply as Phicen's (for example, Phicen's relaxed hands have individually sculpted separate fingers, whereas Jiaou's are part of a solid joint sculpt). At times Jiaou's legs seem a bit heavy and under-sculpted (from some angles they look almost like leg-shaped pants). As an additional, and hopefully exceptional blemish, my Jiaou body came with a suspicious lump its front right (camera left) lower leg.

Articulation: Here Jiaou's male body falls consistently just a little short of Phicen/TBLeague's. It might be that the rubbery "skin" is less supple and/or the steel joints are not as good as an entire steel skeleton to force and keep (hold) the body into a particular position. This difference in articulation seems a little more pronounced with the male bodies than with their female counterparts.

Here they are a very close match:

Here Jiaou can't quite stay flat on the ground, unlike M33:

Here, again, M33 can go a bit further and keep that position better than Jiaou:

And again (though pretty close match), merely for the sake of demonstrating the extent of flexibility:

Jiaou is a little more limited in cross-legged sitting:

But both bodies look just as natural on a regular chair:

When it comes to flexing (and holding) the biceps, however, M33 has a clear advantage (also note the weird skin crease on the Jiaou's left shoulder under the up-stretched arm):

Similarly, M33 can bend (and hold) at the knee further back than Jiaou:

Same, when twisting the torso sideways:

Same, when twisting the torso around:

In less extreme poses, the match between the two bodies' range of abilities is closer. Remember the second pair of feet that come with the Jiaou male body? They are made for this (but M33 can manage just as well without them):

Or boxing:

Or fist-bumping:

Overall, Jiaou's male body seems to be close to a viable alternative to those produced by TBLeague. If you do not require the most extreme of poses but need to show a bared elbow or knee or shoulder, it can do the job just as well. The pale (update: technically "wheat") skin tone makes this body useless for the majority of male head sculpts, but relief is in sight, as Jiaou has announced male bodies in three different skin tones: pale (update: technically "natural"), tan (update: technically "wheat," the body illustrated in this post), and black (update: despite early promotional images, Jiaou's "black" is not suitable for Africans/African-Americans)--see HERE. That ought to give it an advantage over TBLeague's more or less uniform products of that type (which have improved after M30). However, until these skin tone variants become available (update: they have become available, but the "wheat" body discussed here matches some heads, the "black" body matches the many more that are somewhat more tan, and the "natural" body matches none that I own), and for more extreme poses and more realistic legs, TBLeague remains preferable. As some customizers have noted, there are advantages in using seamless figures even for fully-clothed characters (soldiers, superheros, etc); in that respect, the Jiaou and TBLeague bodies are probably a draw, as the clothing and its restrictions would probably mask any little difference in appearance and articulation.
    Last edited by GubernatorFan; 01-11-2018 at 17:13. Reason: Corrections

Re: Jiaou Doll Male Body Review

Thanks for the excellent review. I've picked up a couple so far, and I'm pleased with the Jiaou male figures. The price point is slightly less than Phicen/TBL, and I find the posing options to be similar enough and consistent with the price differential.

In terms of colours, I like the wider range of options between natural (pale), wheat and black. Natural in hand is extremely light, and I don't have one matching head sculpt. It will be good for custom painted sculpts. I can see it very useful for more realistic military set ups such as European campaigns in winter where people didn't have tans! Maybe some truly pale male sculpts will come onto the market that match now that the figure exists. I've asked the Jiaou rep on FB directly (twice) if she can recommend a head sculpt that matches the natural YS skin tone and have been met with complete silence. I assume that means there are none on the market. ;-) I really like the wheat colour as I have a good portion of my head sculpt collection that were too light for Phicen that now match Jiaou wheat. Wheat is the missing link! It's much lighter than any of the Phicen/TBL suntans and much better than that weird bluish tint that M30 has. I have the black tone Jiaou on order but suspect that it's going to end up being on the dark end of the existing Phicen/TBL suntan range. I'll report back when it's in hand.

The neck circumference on Jiaou males is somewhat narrow, even more than M33's which is by far the narrowest on Phicen/TBL. That may make it difficult to put large opening sculpts on without the boggle head effect. The neck 'skin' doesn't appear to be as easy to pull back and stuff like on Phicen to create a smoother transition. I'll have to experiment with that. On the flip side, Jiaou is well suited for Soldier Story type heads with the narrow opening as well as the smaller head scale.

It's great that Jiaou males are on the market now as more options are available. Time will tell how durable they are, but so far so good.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 12-05-2017 at 15:01. Reason: Typos

Thank you, Odysseus.
    And thank you also for your additional observations.

I agree that the "natural" or "pale" color might come in handy with some northern wars warriors, and there might be a bunch of heads out there, of which I have very few. The one I used for the review was a DID Aaron (see Monkey Depot's heads HERE), but I had removed the neck and had not yet created a permanent interior rigging solution (it is one of those hollow heads). This and other heads (there or at Black Ops Toys) will probably work well with that skin tone body.

Is Jiaou's male wheat the same as Jiaou's female wheat? -- because Phicen's female suntan(s) are not the same as Phicen's male suntan(s). I only have a Jiaou female wheat so far, and it is indeed close to, if a smidgen lighter than, Phicen's male suntan on the M33. The proof is in the pudding:

Please report on Jiaou's male black as soon as you get it. The female black showed up in various shades in the promotional materials, and on the actual body it was not even tan. See my complaints HERE.

As for the neck circumference, I wonder if as with Phicen/TBLeague, we can't stick stuff (like a rolled up stretch of plastic) in-between the rubbery "skin" and the metal peg. Or, maybe one can wound up something (like rubber bands) just below the ball-peg of the neck, forcing the rubbery "skin" to be pushed down onto itself and thicken in appearance.

While articulation is my priority and in that I still find the Phicen/TBLeague bodies superior, I agree that the Jiaou males are a good addition to the marker (especially once the additional skin tones become more available).

Great review! You really have me considering picking one up, just to have even more variety in body types. Handling these, how do you feel about the movement (tightness/smoothness of joints) compared to TBL?

Now I'm really anxious to check out the ones they have coming out in January, especially to see how some of those skin tones match up.

Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-1a5dd2bf-4432-45d3-b548-30e10a32f041-jpg

From left in warm incadessent artificial lighting:
    Jiaou natural (YS)
    Jiaou wheat (BS)
    TBL M30
    TBL M31
    TBL M32
    TBL M33
    TBL M34

*TBD Jiaou black (PS)

Edit: I added the Jiaou product code suffixes. There is nothing intuitive about the codes. There are three additional female colours: Pink (PM), Brown (BM) and White (WS). Strangely, most of the promos on the male figure were the ghost white (WS) color. The Jiaou rep said on FB they are only producing the three released colours and white wasn’t popular with customers. Their messaging is always confusing though, so who knows!
    Last edited by Odysseus; 12-05-2017 at 16:46.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendSpooky View Post
    Great review! Handling these, how do you feel about the movement (tightness/smoothness of joints) compared to TBL?
    Thank you! Glad you found it useful, and are considering this product (although I really have no vested interest in it). As with the female Jiaou Dolls, the movement is not nearly as smooth, but you can get the limbs into the desired positions -- at least within the range I have shown in the various photos. The joints are tight enough -- no annoyingly loose knees or ankles and the like. The ease with which the hands pop off on the male Jiaou Dolls was a slight concern for me, but unless you are having them weight lift with very heavy accessories, it should be fine -- certainly sufficient for holding a gun, sword (as shown), or cell phone.
    As for the January batch, I would imagine that it would be late in showing up. Even the one I got was from an eBay seller in China (although they pretended to be in California), while the local collectibles sellers seem to be still waiting for their preorders to arrive. So if you want the new ones sooner, rather than later, I'd say find a China eBay seller you trust and arm yourself with patience.

Good review showing a detailed comparison with pictures.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Odysseus: thank you so much for posting the Jiaou - TBLeague comparisons in this systematic fashion. BTW, perhaps you can shed more light on ReverendSpooky's question (in post #4).

DFC: thank you very much!

I wish we still have the MATURE SECTION (RIP).

We could have had an interesting picture comparison 1:6 "junk off" too see the differences.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    (4) extra male members of various dimensions, one of them positively equine

Great review! The body looks fine, it's good to have choices. I liked that he's not buff like M33 nor bland like M31.

This skin tone maybe will do fine with some Ken heads, like Superman or Batman.

DFC - Santa brings good things to good boys who wait.
    Muscledog - Thank you very much. Yes, they are pretty nice, especially for their first try. I like the somewhat more regular type of muscle body, too, even if the legs are a bit heavily done.
    I don't have any Ken heads handy to confirm your suspicion.

Nice work, I'mm looking at the Jiaou body for an upcoming bash and this has really helped. Thanks for posting this up!

Quote Originally Posted by stevejack2 View Post
    Nice work, I'mm looking at the Jiaou body for an upcoming bash and this has really helped. Thanks for posting this up!
    Yeah, I'd like one too, as soon as the wheaten versions are available.

Thank you, steevejack2 and Goobikza.
    For what it is worth, I have ordered a couple of wheat ones from HERE. This seller has delivered in the past, so I am giving it a try.
    Update: turns out the one I reviewed (which was unlabeled) was the "wheat" body after all. If you need something more tan, your Jiaou option would be "black."
    Last edited by GubernatorFan; 01-12-2018 at 09:51. Reason: correction

Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-8ab332ef-b71c-4a19-a0a3-592657e13b0a-jpg

Here is the mentioned pic Jiaou used in its promos leading up to the release. It shows the white (WS) colour which I don’t think this is now being released per their rep. In some of the early preorders online for various sellers and eBay, this photo was being shown. Did anyone actually receive this colour?

Wheat (BS) has been available on eBay for the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    Odysseus: thank you so much for posting the Jiaou - TBLeague comparisons in this systematic fashion. BTW, perhaps you can shed more light on ReverendSpooky's question (in post #4).

DFC: thank you very much!
    @Gubernator - I’m trying very hard to be objective about the Jiaou male. I almost need a TBL fresh out of the box to do a flex test. Jiaou seems tighter in the joints but that may because it’s new. Some observations:
    -Jiaou has about 90-100% the range of motion depending on the pose. I agree with you.
    -It seems to have better padding in the elbows. I’m not getting that worrisome ‘pokey elbow’ that TBL has especially M32.
    -Balance is easy to accomplish as seen here.
    Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-dd7a81e8-f062-4f5e-9b80-57f41e591a7f-jpg
    -However, I’m having some issues with the hands and wrists. First, the hands pop off too easily. It’s the opposite problem to TBL. Second, the wrist has only a one plane 160į radius, so that’s limiting especially if the hand is popping off. One of the three JDs I have (the wheat one), had its wrists completely seized. I had to do the rollback and take a needlenose pliers and rock it back and forth to get some movement. I can only get about 120į. So, there is a quality control issue there. See photo below and note the plastic rotator. So, there were poses I have trouble achieving due to the hand and wrist limitations. On the other hand, TBL has quality issues with the hand/wrist too especially with M31 although in a different way.
    Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-ecdd39c4-c7a3-480d-a2d1-cd1e093944fe-jpeg
    -I’ve already misaligned the shoulder, but it’s fixed the same way as TBL. It’s hard to explain, but you pull the arm out then across and down to realign.

Another thing about colour I didn’t mention. There is a depth and variance of colour that TBL doesn’t have. It’s subtle but creates a realism. See wheat and natural below.
    Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-e388b879-fdb8-41ae-9ff7-9ec81135aacf-jpg

It’s not an either/or thing to me. I’d rate them like this so far, but I hold the right to change my mind. Haha.
    Flexibility - TBL A v JD B
    Colour - TBL C v JD A
    Colour matching potential with existing sculpts on the market - TBL B v JD C
    Hands/wrists - TBL C v JD D

I haven’t tried to dress them yet, so that will be a TBD. I have a feeling it’s going to be easier than TBL.

Sorry to ramble. I enjoy these in depth product discussions. Thanks again for such a great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Here is the mentioned pic Jiaou used in its promos leading up to the release. It shows the white (WS) colour which I don’t think this is now being released per their rep. In some of the early preorders online for various sellers and eBay, this photo was being shown. Did anyone actually receive this colour?
    I assumed that was the body I was reviewing, but you might be right to imply that it was different -- perhaps JOK-11C-YS, which you can see HERE for preorder at Cotswold Collectibles.
    Update: I was wrong, the (unlabeled) body I reviewed turns out to have been "wheat" (JOK-11C-BS).
    Last edited by GubernatorFan; 01-12-2018 at 09:54.

@Gubernator - I’m trying very hard to be objective about the Jiaou male.
    Thank you very much for the detailed observations and the extra photos. They form a useful addition to this thread, and should be welcome to anyone considering these action figure bodies. I am glad to see you confirm some of my concerns.

It might be just a visual effect (due to the darker skin tone), but is the rubbery "skin" on the legs of the wheat body more finely sculpted than that on the paler one?

Thanks very much for the review.

You're very welcome Warrior49, glad you read it.

@Gubernator

The legs are sculpted the same. The definition on the normal (pale) is more pronounced as the base layer has a greater contrast in tone.

Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-1dc345b9-1768-43b9-9758-7fc3351bd96a-jpg

In terms of colour contrast, here’s a line up of the following:
    TBL S16A pale
    JD normal (YS)
    JD wheat (BS)
    TBL M33 suntan

In warm incadessent lighting below

Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-696daede-f8aa-428f-8c38-e623179c0c46-jpg

In indirect cloudy natural lighting below

Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-fd17a767-b6f2-4e46-afa6-e47717f84800-jpg

The pale TBL has a consistent pinkish tone whereas the JD natural has a predominant yellow tone with highlights of pink.

Looking at the shift in lighting in your photos, I think you may have the wheat colour. Not sure??? Confusing as they don’t label the boxes consistently. Natural had no label. Wheat has a sticker that says ‘wheat colour’ in Mandarin...per Google Translate.

Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-4f502528-47d3-455c-96be-26f4d1709aea-jpg

It’s all very interesting!
    Last edited by Odysseus; 12-07-2017 at 05:48.

It’s all very interesting!
    Thank you for the additional notes and photos.

Visually the wheat body's legs look to me better sculpted, but it may well be an optical illusion due to the skin tone and the camera angle. With the pale and natural body that I have, the rubbery "skin" on the legs at times looks so heavy as if the guy were wearing a pair of leg-shaped trousers.

The body I reviewed is certainly not the wheat one, as it is is far too pale for that. Besides, the box came without any sticker whatsoever. If you are right that they have not released the "white" (pale?) one (WS?), then it must be the "natural" one (YS?). Indeed, the skin tone is yellowish (just as you described and show in your photos).
    Update: I was completely wrong on that one; now that I have (all?) three colors, the unlabeled body I reviewed is definitely "wheat" (which I had expected to be darker).
    Last edited by GubernatorFan; 01-12-2018 at 09:56. Reason: correction

Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-7458da7d-dab8-4ebb-80b1-43fd805aa4dc-jpg

As promised, here is the Jiaou male black comparison photo. It’s not really suntan, rather it’s that subtle blue-grey tone that P/TBL M30 has. Maybe a tad darker. The JD black has the same pink highlights as the other JDs though which adds some depth of colour.

It’s a difficult colour to match to most head sculpts on the market but not nearly as difficult as the JD normal (pale) colour.

Anyway, here is the JD colour palette in warm incadessent light along with M30. Not quite the same as some of the JD promo photos. I haven’t been able to reproduce that lighting.

Same hand pop-off problems as the others btw. That’s consistent.

Thank you so much for the update. I was wondering if you had gotten them, but didn't want to hassle you about it.
    So in the photo you posted, we have (left to right) Jiaou pale/normal - wheat - black - Phicen M30?
    Considering that at the time the regular Phicen M30 seemed inconveniently pale in hand, I am surprised; it (and the Jiaou black) do not look pale at all in your photo. Or are you using the special tan M30 body that came with the boxed Hercules figure?

It’s the stand alone M30 body. It came by itself.

Here’s a seamless line up from the left.
    JD natural/normal (pale)
    JD wheat
    JD Black
    TBL M30
    TBL M31
    TBL M32
    TBL M33
    TBL M34

They all look really dark now compared to the natural and wheat JDs.

Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-dcd2f205-0a07-4a9a-8401-2c0966e3e222-jpg
    Last edited by Odysseus; 12-20-2017 at 03:21.

Thank you for the clarification! And the illustration.
    This is curious indeed, you must be using a very special kind of light. So Jiaou's male "black" is basically a tan color, and darker than their "wheat" (although with the female figures, Jiaou's "black" was ridiculously lighter than "wheat"). The male "black" and "wheat" should be easy enough to match with head sculpts. The normal/yellow body can be matched with several DID heads (although in most of these you would have to remove their attached necks).

Jiaou Doll Male Body Review updated-f7ea019c-7b16-441b-b517-b590ae0e94bf-jpg

Hereís the box label which says ĎIn Blackí in Mandarin per Google Translate.

Yeah, Iíve been searching DID pale sculpts for modification. Iím a bit hesitant because itís a big investment not to be a good match. Let me know if you find some others besides DID Aaron.

Iím also going to do some HS painting. Iím unfortunately not the most gifted artist. 🤣

Thank you also for the photo of the box label.
    DID Aaron is a good fit, as you see from my review. DID Tommy and DID Paul are also very good. Beyond this, I can guess DID Napoleon and Otto Carius should work too. DID C Straight Laced Guy (which has a doll dot!) is close, but perhaps a bit too light. See all of these heads HERE.
    Update: these suggestions refer to matching a head sculpt with the "wheat" Jiaou male body.
    Last edited by GubernatorFan; 01-12-2018 at 09:58. Reason: clarification

Wow. 1st, again, thank you GubernatorFan and Odysseus for posting this comparison. This is such a huge help to be able to see all these side to side, and such a great example of a community like this really goes out of it's way to pool knowledge and help fellow hobbyists.

I have to say, it's really disappointing that the JD "Black" body isn't really any darker than than the regular phicen releases. My shelves of custom figures are looking a lot more homogeneously white then I'm really comfortable with, and I was really hoping JD was going to be the answer to introducing some overdue seamless diversity into that world.

@Gubernator - thanks for spotting those potential head matches. Iíll decide what to add to my wish list.

@Reverend - agreed. It would have been nice to have a more saturated truly dark skin colour. Silicone seems to be able to be dyed any colour, so itís not a technical limitation.