Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 43

Thread: EBAY - Beware when checkout

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    244

    EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Hi all,
    How could a seller set 2 different shipping costs, one for listing (Free or very low cost) and another one (very high) at checkout?

    The fist time it happened when I won an auction from the big seller starshop*2012 based in China, the auction was Free international shipping as displayed in ebay.com and ebay.ca. But when at checkout, the shipping cost changed to $30USD. I asked the seller to change it to Free Shipping wieh a picture from what eBay showed me as shipping cost at listing. He doesn't want to but asked me if it was OK if he reduces it to $20USD. I thought it was some problems somewhere. So I asked him just cancel the transaction. I didn't want to go further.

    Second incident, I won an item listed with $34.99 CAD as shipping cost from the same seller. But at checkout the shipping cost changed to $134.99 CAD. This time I contacted eBay about this problem. The person at eBay told me to tell the seller to contact eBay (?!). So on October 16th, I asked the seller to set the correct price for shipping at checkout that I can make the payment. But every time I got an answer such the person is the assistance and he will contact his boss. Until now, October 22nd, not solved.


    That's my story.

    Be careful when you checkout at eBay, make sure the shipping cost doesn't change and pay only one seller at a time.

    I never sell anything on eBay so I don't know how this could happen. Maybe you guys are sellers and know how to set different shipping cost. Seller starshop*2012 isn't bad in my opinion but this happened twice to me. What was wrong? The seller or eBay?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Democratic Peoples Republic of England
    Posts
    4,127

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by hamtata View Post
    Hi all,
    How could a seller set 2 different shipping costs, one for listing (Free or very low cost) and another one (very high) at checkout?

    The fist time it happened when I won an auction from the big seller starshop*2012 based in China, the auction was Free international shipping as displayed in ebay.com and ebay.ca. But when at checkout, the shipping cost changed to $30USD. I asked the seller to change it to Free Shipping wieh a picture from what eBay showed me as shipping cost at listing. He doesn't want to but asked me if it was OK if he reduces it to $20USD. I thought it was some problems somewhere. So I asked him just cancel the transaction. I didn't want to go further.

    Second incident, I won an item listed with $34.99 CAD as shipping cost from the same seller. But at checkout the shipping cost changed to $134.99 CAD. This time I contacted eBay about this problem. The person at eBay told me to tell the seller to contact eBay (?!). So on October 16th, I asked the seller to set the correct price for shipping at checkout that I can make the payment. But every time I got an answer such the person is the assistance and he will contact his boss. Until now, October 22nd, not solved.


    That's my story.

    Be careful when you checkout at eBay, make sure the shipping cost doesn't change and pay only one seller at a time.

    I never sell anything on eBay so I don't know how this could happen. Maybe you guys are sellers and know how to set different shipping cost. Seller starshop*2012 isn't bad in my opinion but this happened twice to me. What was wrong? The seller or eBay?
    I get inaccurate shipping quotes when using ebay.com because the location by default is USA. If I log in though and set the country to uk I get the accurate shipping price. Also if you use your local ebay site (for me it is .co.uk) it will show correct shipping prices but less items are shown (no international visibility for some items so you have to search on multiple ebay sites to find items you are after).

    on any listing you select, go to the shipping tab and select the country to post to and enter postcode if necessary then it should show the correct shipping price.

    The other thing to keep in mind is that some sellers (mainland american ones) use the ebay global shipping program where import taxes are charged at checkout (you have to pay no matter what with those whereas with normal postage options items may not get taxed at the receiving port).

    I have noticed that the quoted import taxes on items using the global shipping program change at checkout.

    also, the converted price on ebay is not the price you pay via paypal as they hide their fees in the exchange rate. so if an item is $100 and that converts to say, £70 in the ebay results, when you pay you will often find you are paying £80 ish. I find this hidden fee dishonest especially since ebay are already charging the sellers listing fees, final value fees of about %10 plus paypal fees of about %4. Charging the buyers to pay is just too much.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Maitland, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    369

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Check to see whether they sent you an invoice. When they send an invoice it gives them a chance to change the price without you noticing.
    More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Anglia, UK
    Posts
    21,621

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Most of the time I get what I want with free shipping/postage and it stays that way. If I'm dubious about shipping I look for sellers that have free shipping. I try as much as I can not to buy from anywhere where I may get hit for customs fees. If you're prepared to wait and shop around you can find deals you're happy with.

    If you ask me, getting something again from a seller you know you've already had issues with probably wasn't the smartest of moves. Just be cautious and don't leap at what appear to be great offers before checking the fine print. Looking at the feedback first is always a good idea. If it all sounds good, then go ahead, but, if it's full of negatives, avoid!

    CHEERS!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,848

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    I get inaccurate shipping quotes when using ebay.com because the location by default is USA. If I log in though and set the country to uk I get the accurate shipping price. Also if you use your local ebay site (for me it is .co.uk) it will show correct shipping prices but less items are shown (no international visibility for some items so you have to search on multiple ebay sites to find items you are after).

    on any listing you select, go to the shipping tab and select the country to post to and enter postcode if necessary then it should show the correct shipping price.
    This is usually what causes the most confusion with shipping costs, with buyer's not signing in and then having ebay default the shipping cost to another location that doesn't necessarily match based on geoip location (ie your ip may be in Germany but ebay assumes you are in the US). The mobile site is especially bad for that. If you are signed in the price shown is what gets charged at checkout. The only way for a seller to have a different shipping cost than shown on the product page once you are signed in is to send a revised invoice after someone doesn't complete the checkout process with payment, otherwise the checkout will always pull a shipping that matches the item description as long as you are logged in. Rule 1 on ebay, don't use a smartphone.


    Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    also, the converted price on ebay is not the price you pay via paypal as they hide their fees in the exchange rate. so if an item is $100 and that converts to say, £70 in the ebay results, when you pay you will often find you are paying £80 ish. I find this hidden fee dishonest especially since ebay are already charging the sellers listing fees, final value fees of about %10 plus paypal fees of about %4. Charging the buyers to pay is just too much.
    Ebay doesn't factor in the currency exchange processing fee that paypal will charge (these are set by the individual credit card companies with a markup added by paypal), which will vary by country. It isn't really an ebay issue per se as whatever form of payment you end up paying with determines the actual exchange rate since every payment processor sets their own exchange rates. Ebay will just do a lookup to xe or similar services to do a live currency exchange conversion which doesn't factor this in since paypal doesn't have an API to accurately quote charged exchange rates. This is the norm for the vast majority of sites on the internet as most aren't true multicurrency in the sense that they provide accurate currency converted prices that will match rates at payment as it requires accepting payments in multiple native currencies. Doing that through somewhere like paypal is generally terrible for a seller as paypal's exchange rates to convert back other currencies to the seller's native currency are generally quite bad.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Florida
    Posts
    11,831

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    If you ask me, getting something again from a seller you know you've already had issues with probably wasn't the smartest of moves.
    --

    This is my primary question.

    WHY?

    It's like calling an escort service and asking for the same woman who gave you herpes the last time and the time before that. Is she that good and worth getting herpes for?

    I'll use the following quote from the film BALLS OF FURY (2004) that possibly sums up such mindset and rationale.

    "Ping Pong . . . is not the macarena. It takes patience. She is like a fine, well-aged prostitute . . . it takes years to learn her tricks. She is cruel, laughs at you when you are naked, but you keep coming back for more, and more! Why? Because she is the only prostitute I can afford." - Master Wong
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    N.T., Hong Kong
    Posts
    8,379

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    The happened to me as a seller recently. I listed an SAS Jeep on Ebay.com because my local site, Ebay.com.hk is in Chinese only so I can't read it. I spoke to Customer Services here and they told me to go to Ebay.com, list the item, but change item location to Hong Kong, which I did. I then entered two shipping prices - US$25 for local here in Hk, and US$70 for international shipping.

    A guy in Texas bought it, and sent me the Buy it Now price, plus $25 shipping. I had to go back and ask him for the extra money. I sent him a screen shot showing location HK and $70 international shipping. He sent me HIS screen-shot showing the final price with shipping as $25.

    At first he thought it was a shake-down, but luckily he was a stand-up guy (thank you Ray) and sent me the additional shipping.

    This while thing is down to Ebay, and their software screwing up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Florida
    Posts
    11,831

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by ActionMan View Post
    The happened to me as a seller recently. I listed an SAS Jeep on Ebay.com because my local site, Ebay.com.hk is in Chinese only so I can't read it. I spoke to Customer Services here and they told me to go to Ebay.com, list the item, but change item location to Hong Kong, which I did. I then entered two shipping prices - US$25 for local here in Hk, and US$70 for international shipping.

    A guy in Texas bought it, and sent me the Buy it Now price, plus $25 shipping. I had to go back and ask him for the extra money. I sent him a screen shot showing location HK and $70 international shipping. He sent me HIS screen-shot showing the final price with shipping as $25.

    At first he thought it was a shake-down, but luckily he was a stand-up guy (thank you Ray) and sent me the additional shipping.

    This while thing is down to Ebay, and their software screwing up.
    --

    Kudos to your buyer for being a very reasonable fellow. You rarely hear/read such things.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,848

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by ActionMan View Post
    The happened to me as a seller recently. I listed an SAS Jeep on Ebay.com because my local site, Ebay.com.hk is in Chinese only so I can't read it. I spoke to Customer Services here and they told me to go to Ebay.com, list the item, but change item location to Hong Kong, which I did. I then entered two shipping prices - US$25 for local here in Hk, and US$70 for international shipping.

    A guy in Texas bought it, and sent me the Buy it Now price, plus $25 shipping. I had to go back and ask him for the extra money. I sent him a screen shot showing location HK and $70 international shipping. He sent me HIS screen-shot showing the final price with shipping as $25.

    At first he thought it was a shake-down, but luckily he was a stand-up guy (thank you Ray) and sent me the additional shipping.

    This while thing is down to Ebay, and their software screwing up.
    After looking at your ebay listing, it wasn't an ebay bug rather bad information you received from customer service. If you list on ebay.com, any shipping location within the US is grouped into "Domestic shipping" (and is assigned the shipping cost you specify in that field) and not "International shipping" (and the rate you specify there) regardless of which country you specify in the item location Country field. The Country field does not tie into the shipping system at all and it is just a text field to inform the buyer of the location. The only value in the Item location fields that ties into the shipping system is what you input in the Zip/Postal Code field as ebay uses that along with the package size/weight to request a shipping rate from a postal service. On each ebay country site, only the domestic postal service (ie USPS for .com, Canada Post for .ca, etc) is available for live rates. The Domestic shipping cost you specify in your listing will apply to the native country of the ebay country site you are listing on (ie US for .com, Canada for .ca, Germany for .de, etc).

    For future reference, if you list on .com again what you would do is set the correct price for US shipping in the Domestic shipping field, then set your other international shipping costs in the International shipping field choosing the Ship to "Worldwide" option. In order to set a specific rate or option for HK it gets a bit tricky as you would have to set that up in the International shipping field, then use the Choose custom location field in the Ship to section. There are only a limited number of countries you can select individually here as many get lumped together. I believe ebay maps Hong Kong to "China" so you would have to manually block China (and any other country ebay includes in that grouping) if you didn't want your local shipping rate/pickup to apply to China as well.

    The shipping system on ebay can be really confusing at times, especially with how they split domestic/international rather than just allowing you to set individual rates for each country. Fortunately it sounds like you were dealing with a great buyer.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    244

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by ActionMan View Post
    The happened to me as a seller recently. I listed an SAS Jeep on Ebay.com because my local site, Ebay.com.hk is in Chinese only so I can't read it. I spoke to Customer Services here and they told me to go to Ebay.com, list the item, but change item location to Hong Kong, which I did. I then entered two shipping prices - US$25 for local here in Hk, and US$70 for international shipping.

    A guy in Texas bought it, and sent me the Buy it Now price, plus $25 shipping. I had to go back and ask him for the extra money. I sent him a screen shot showing location HK and $70 international shipping. He sent me HIS screen-shot showing the final price with shipping as $25.

    At first he thought it was a shake-down, but luckily he was a stand-up guy (thank you Ray) and sent me the additional shipping.

    This while thing is down to Ebay, and their software screwing up.
    Yours is different, it's not the same thing.
    Your client saw the item listed with $25USD as shipping cost, when he checkout, he still saw and paid for the item plus $25USD shipping cost.
    Mine is different. The item listed with shipping cost was $34.99 CAD (Canadian dollar), but at checkout the system showed the shipping cost $134.99 CAD.

    Before I bid or buy anything, I always log on ebay.com and ebay.ca to verify the exact shipping cost. When using Global Shipping Program, the ebay.com doesn't show the import fees but ebay.ca shows it and it varies depending on the final price.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    244

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    I get inaccurate shipping quotes when using ebay.com because the location by default is USA. If I log in though and set the country to uk I get the accurate shipping price. Also if you use your local ebay site (for me it is .co.uk) it will show correct shipping prices but less items are shown (no international visibility for some items so you have to search on multiple ebay sites to find items you are after).

    on any listing you select, go to the shipping tab and select the country to post to and enter postcode if necessary then it should show the correct shipping price.

    The other thing to keep in mind is that some sellers (mainland american ones) use the ebay global shipping program where import taxes are charged at checkout (you have to pay no matter what with those whereas with normal postage options items may not get taxed at the receiving port).

    I have noticed that the quoted import taxes on items using the global shipping program change at checkout.

    also, the converted price on ebay is not the price you pay via paypal as they hide their fees in the exchange rate. so if an item is $100 and that converts to say, £70 in the ebay results, when you pay you will often find you are paying £80 ish. I find this hidden fee dishonest especially since ebay are already charging the sellers listing fees, final value fees of about %10 plus paypal fees of about %4. Charging the buyers to pay is just too much.
    Yes before bidding, I did log on ebay.com and also on ebay.ca and the ebay system showed the same shipping cost.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    244

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    This is the item I won.
    Please tell me what do you see as shipping cost.

    1/6 The Walking Dead Daryl Dixon Man Action Figure Model Motorcycle Not Included | eBay

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,848

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by hamtata View Post
    This is the item I won.
    Please tell me what do you see as shipping cost.

    1/6 The Walking Dead Daryl Dixon Man Action Figure Model Motorcycle Not Included | eBay
    $34.99 is the shipping cost I see for that listing, looks like that was the rate setup for all international locations for that listing.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    953

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    For me its says global shipping cost is $29. I wouldn't stress over this too much. You have tons of ways to prove there is a mistake/glitch in system et regarding the amount of $ you're being asked to pay.
    "Be sad! Be glad! Be neither! Seek, or shun!
    Thou hast no reason why! Thou canst have none;
    Thy being's being is a contradiction." S.T. Coleridge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Locust Grove, GA
    Posts
    1,859

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    This is usually what causes the most confusion with shipping costs, with buyer's not signing in and then having ebay default the shipping cost to another location that doesn't necessarily match based on geoip location (ie your ip may be in Germany but ebay assumes you are in the US). The mobile site is especially bad for that. If you are signed in the price shown is what gets charged at checkout. The only way for a seller to have a different shipping cost than shown on the product page once you are signed in is to send a revised invoice after someone doesn't complete the checkout process with payment, otherwise the checkout will always pull a shipping that matches the item description as long as you are logged in. Rule 1 on ebay, don't use a smartphone.
    I've never had a problem while using eBay with a smartphone. With a smartphone or a tablet, you can either login using the eBay app or login using your browser. Either way, I've found it to be fairly easy to make transactions with no problems as long as I'm careful. Perhaps it's users not logging in that creates the problem rather than the device used to access eBay. If I restricted myself to just using a computer, then I would miss out on things that I found using my phone while away from home. That accounts for a good bit of my purchases. The one thing that I have found to be an issue if you're not careful, is the small size of the screen and big fingers. Whether it's eBay or PayPal, you really have to look closely (perhaps, pinching and zooming in will help) before confirming anything or it's easy to make a mistake.
    Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    137

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    I have had a similar problem a year or so ago but not exactly the same. In my case the item was from a seller in the US and he offered free shipping. When it came to checkout I was charged shipping. I wanted the item so I went ahead. I contacted the seller (very nice guy) and he said he only sells to customers in the US and was surprised that it did not say so. He did some checking and found that Ebay have a system whereby they will collect the item and ship it international themselves and charge a fee to the buyer for doing so.

    I think these days they do show the charge before you click the buy button.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,848

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    I've never had a problem while using eBay with a smartphone. With a smartphone or a tablet, you can either login using the eBay app or login using your browser. Either way, I've found it to be fairly easy to make transactions with no problems as long as I'm careful. Perhaps it's users not logging in that creates the problem rather than the device used to access eBay. If I restricted myself to just using a computer, then I would miss out on things that I found using my phone while away from home. That accounts for a good bit of my purchases. The one thing that I have found to be an issue if you're not careful, is the small size of the screen and big fingers. Whether it's eBay or PayPal, you really have to look closely (perhaps, pinching and zooming in will help) before confirming anything or it's easy to make a mistake.
    The mobile app has had numerous bugs with cart checkout code, in particular with it's handling of listings on non-native ebay country sites and seller shipping rules for multi-item purchases. These can result in items not being added to cart, a dead end when trying to checkout, or combined shipping discounts not applying. Some of the test features they have been applying of late to select user accounts like the forcing of immediate payment regardless of what the seller sets in the listing have had issues with the app which break the cart with multi item purchases. Using the mobile version of the site via a web browser is the better choice as that uses the same code as the desktop side. International buyers that are accessing listings that didn't originate on their native ebay country site tend to hit these roadblocks more often.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    N.T., Hong Kong
    Posts
    8,379

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by hamtata View Post
    This is the item I won.
    Please tell me what do you see as shipping cost.

    1/6 The Walking Dead Daryl Dixon Man Action Figure Model Motorcycle Not Included | eBay
    EBAY - Beware when checkout-ebay-snip-jpg

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    244

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by ActionMan View Post
    EBAY - Beware when checkout-ebay-snip-jpg
    Thank you ActionMan, that's what I got at my side too.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    5,318

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    $34.99 is the shipping cost I see for that listing, looks like that was the rate setup for all international locations for that listing.
    If you see the figure $34.99 then you're probably seeing the same thing I'm seeing, in which case, notice that it's not actually $34.99 but C$34.99 -- meaning it's in Canadian Dollars equal to a lesser sum, about $28 US. And it says "Economy Shipping from outside Canada," and I don't know why it's done in Canadian Dollars while the item is in ZhengZhou. Maybe the EBay screen is converting to Canadian Dollars for me and Adam C and for some reason Action Man, though he's in Hong Kong, while Comicsrcoll78 sees $29 because his EBay screen is in US $.

    Good opportunity to remind people within this subject to also pay attention to what Currency the listing may be using, especially if it changes between the listing and the invoice (and remembering there's more than one kind of $ in this world).
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    244

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    I contacted eBay today, it's the second time I call eBay about this problem. They read all the messages exchanged between me and the seller seeing that I asked everyday for new invoice and the seller never responded to my request but the assistant (really assistant?) said that he will call his boss. They told me to give the seller more times, like few days, otherwise I could report this seller for violating eBay rules. So I decide to wait for 2-3 days and see what will happen next.

    So the philosophy for buyers is: Always ask the seller the shipping cost before bidding/adding to cart.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,848

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    If you see the figure $34.99 then you're probably seeing the same thing I'm seeing, in which case, notice that it's not actually $34.99 but C$34.99 -- meaning it's in Canadian Dollars equal to a lesser sum, about $28 US. And it says "Economy Shipping from outside Canada," and I don't know why it's done in Canadian Dollars while the item is in ZhengZhou. Maybe the EBay screen is converting to Canadian Dollars for me and Adam C and for some reason Action Man, though he's in Hong Kong, while Comicsrcoll78 sees $29 because his EBay screen is in US $.

    Good opportunity to remind people within this subject to also pay attention to what Currency the listing may be using, especially if it changes between the listing and the invoice (and remembering there's more than one kind of $ in this world).
    Yep that is the most likely case. Typically if you are visiting say your domestic ebay country site, but the item was listed on a different ebay country site in a different currency, ebay will show a currency converted rate using their given FX values at the time. As noted in the thread, they are an approximation as paypal will ultimately decide the rate based on the currency pairs/method of payment. As a tip, if you ever need to convert between currencies it is best to do it from a paypal balance as they apply a lower percentage. You can add different currencies to your paypal account and then check the rate differences. Can usually save a few percent that way versus paying from a credit card.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,848

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by hamtata View Post
    I contacted eBay today, it's the second time I call eBay about this problem. They read all the messages exchanged between me and the seller seeing that I asked everyday for new invoice and the seller never responded to my request but the assistant (really assistant?) said that he will call his boss. They told me to give the seller more times, like few days, otherwise I could report this seller for violating eBay rules. So I decide to wait for 2-3 days and see what will happen next.

    So the philosophy for buyers is: Always ask the seller the shipping cost before bidding/adding to cart.

    I would say just pay attention at the checkout screen, and bare in mind when purchasing multiple items sellers will have different combined shipping rules. Unfortunately ebay's shipping implementation makes it virtually impossible to set accurate combined shipping rates.

    In your specific case, the only negative consequence that could occur to you here is if the seller opened an unpaid item case within the allowable timeframe which could hit you with an unpaid item strike. If you can't get assistance from the seller, the next time you contact ebay I would ask them to ensure that the transaction is cancelled (on the basis the seller was unresponsive and you were unable to obtain an invoice that accurately reflected the stated shipping costs in the listing).
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Maitland, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    369

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by shazzdan View Post
    Check to see whether they sent you an invoice. When they send an invoice it gives them a chance to change the price without you noticing.
    Happened to me today. The description said "FREE Economy Shipping from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan to worldwide." After I won the auction they sent me an invoice with an additional $5 for shipping.
    More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    America
    Posts
    898

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by shazzdan View Post
    Happened to me today. The description said "FREE Economy Shipping from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan to worldwide." After I won the auction they sent me an invoice with an additional $5 for shipping.
    I sometimes wonder if they are unhappy with the price that the item sold for so this is their way of making a little back.
    Sometimes it takes a good fall to really know where you stand. - Hayley Williams

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Maitland, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    369

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Soldier View Post
    I sometimes wonder if they are unhappy with the price that the item sold for so this is their way of making a little back.
    That would be my guess; I got it very cheaply. But they shouldn't try to game the system by listing everything with an opening bid of $0.01. It puts them near the top of the search results but it also risks items being sold too cheaply. Usually these kinds of sellers withdraw the item before the bidding is over if the price doesn't go high enough but apparently these peanuts forgot to do that.
    More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    244

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    Quote Originally Posted by shazzdan View Post
    That would be my guess; I got it very cheaply. But they shouldn't try to game the system by listing everything with an opening bid of $0.01. It puts them near the top of the search results but it also risks items being sold too cheaply. Usually these kinds of sellers withdraw the item before the bidding is over if the price doesn't go high enough but apparently these peanuts forgot to do that.
    Did you request them for a new invoice with Free Shipping? Did the "assistant" reply to you?
    In the case this seller didn't withdraw the item before the ending when the price was cheap, that would be a problem for the buyer when checking out.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Maitland, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    369

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    I requested a new invoice with a revised price to include zero shipping costs. That was over a day ago and I've had no response.
    More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,469

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    In my experience as a user of Ebay in the UK, shipping costs regularly display differently!

    For example, in search results the list displayed will show the shipping costs for the country of origin - so for example an item in the USA that shows a shipping of a few dollars on the search list, will jump massively when you actually look at the items page, where it then seems to change depending on your location.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Maitland, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    369

    Re: EBAY - Beware when checkout

    "Free" doesn't mean "if we sell it too cheap, we can add an arbitrary amount for shipping to make up the shortfall." When a listing says ""FREE Economy Shipping from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan to worldwide", there is no ambiguity.
    More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal

Similar Threads

  1. Beware ebay auction guy selling custom figure using my pic
    By krec9 in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2012, 02:03
  2. BEWARE ebay seller: wonder_point
    By ironman1188 in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 00:29

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
EBAY - Beware when checkout
EBAY - Beware when checkout
KGHobby...Click Here!
Urban Samurai Hobbies...Click Here!
Vlad's Toys...Click Here!
BlackOps Toys...Click Here!
HobbyLink Japan...Click Here!
Cotswold Collectibles...Click Here!
The ToySource...Click Here!
Big Bad Toy Store...Click Here!
Timewalker Toys...Click Here!
ToyWiz...Click Here!
Nouveau Toys...Click Here!
Hot Toys...Click Here!
Gremln...Click Here!
HobbyLink Japan...Click Here!