Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 9 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Started Painting Too..

Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Started Painting Too..

Well I was going to buy the HT Civil War Falcon figure to go with my custom built War Machine Vengeance armour so they could battle it out hanging from the ceiling but he costs more than a Die-Cast series Iron Man figure! Sorry, not that into the character anyway and certainly not at that price for me. I'd just watched the new Spider Man film because Iron Man is in it tbh but was surprised how cool looking they'd made the villain Vulture! Story wise it was pretty much the Green Goblin all over again but I love the look of that suit with helmet, giant VTOL powered wings and crazy clawed boots. I've no idea if HT will make him but he looks like a perfect scratch build for me and a great enemy for my winged War Machine Vengeance armour that's nearly done, just need to finish wiring the electrics as I blew the last lot up trying to use the mains power supply and getting the amps wrong...

What I've got so far for the wings, armour, claws and helmet..

Tall 1/6 body for scale

Harnesses etc..

Clothing so far... and another helmet found too..

War Machine Vengeance armour being rewired..

Parts ordered..

Action Man glider as a starting/anchor point for the wings..

Brown pleather flight jacket..

Not sure if I'll bother but there is a decent Michael Keaton hs that could be aged but no idea if it would ever be seen so might just be a waste of 22 quid!

Well there's the car crash laid out, the wings will definitely be an engineering challenge as in the movie they are of course CGI and full of Transformers (Michael Bay's) impossible real world configurations but I'll do my best and take artistic license where it's needed and to help the build be enjoyable not a slave to perfection but not a simple affair like the small figure pictured above, well small figure with very big wings!

Last edited by shovelchop81; 12-04-2017 at 09:08.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Re: Vulture From Spider Man Homecoming WIP

awesome work

I haven't started yet! LOL mind you sorting through all my stuff to find parts might count as work and getting all the reference pics....
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Mmm, could be a fun little build, though, saying that, it has all the hallmarks of another epic!

Strap in folks!

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Mmm, could be a fun little build, though, saying that, it has all the hallmarks of another epic!

Strap in folks!

CHEERS!
    Cheers Roger! I think it might be more towards the "epic" side to get what I want out of the wings, engineering more akin to my Punisher MECH build rather than Titan/Hero Storm Trooper upgrade build. In the film his wings are weapons and sort of their own entity being able to attack and fly around without Keaton attached, the individual "feathers" of which there seem to be an inordinate amount, act as giant swords, axes and scissors; hence they will all need to be individually articulated! Not just flat flappers on a couple of hinges shown on the deluxe "build a figure" Vulture shown in the pics above, nice figure but doesn't go anywhere near capturing the the versatility of the wings in the movie. This brings me to my latest challenge, joints...Ball joints will work on some of the lighter components like individual feathers but will never work on the superstructure or frame of the wings so I spent all morning researching available lightweight low profile ratchet joints. Well it was Lego to the rescue again, this time their Technics line not my usual go to Bionicles, I ordered a bulk lot of plastic disk ratchet joints which I'll probably need to reinforce with metal bolts to keep them together and tighten them to support the weight, I also ordered 4 heavy duty ones that are used on their SW AT-AT's knees for the really heavy stuff, might need more but we'll see and at least I can get them cheap in the UK!

Doesn't showcase the wings completely here but gives you an idea...

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP

I'm really looking forward to seeing this build.

Quote Originally Posted by steve74 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this build.
    Thanks Steve, just waiting on parts now but the major bits I need to start are in the UK so should have them any day now .

Here we go....

CHEERS!

Always a pure pleasure to watch your progression on these awesome builds. Hold on, let me get my pop corn ready. Okay, begin.

AFM

This is a promising exciting project in your hands, Chop (and it would be an unlikely daunting one for anyone else).

AYMK there's a 12" scale Hasbro figure but I don't think it would be adequate to contribute any parts to the effort, except maybe the helmet, but that's not the tough part. I can't believe they made such a feeble and halfhearted attempt for him to have such tiny wings. The wings on their 6" version BaF seem actually to be much bigger. For that matter, maybe those BaF wings could be beefed up somehow for 1/6 use: Marvel Legends Spider-Man Homecoming Build A Figure Vulture Wings PRE-ORDER. Being huge for 6" they could look ok for 1/6 though smaller than screen-accurate, or some parts like the turbines might be carried over. Size comparisons here: Marvel Legends 6" Spider-Man: Homecoming Vulture Build-A-Wing Video Review & Image Gallery - Figures - MarvelousNews.com or Spider-Man: Homecoming 6" Marvel Legends Movie Vulture Build-A-Wing Review - YouTube
    The guidance counselor was surprised: I didnt even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.

Thanks guys!
    Moonbase: I watched Shartimus Prime's video a while back which gave me my first insight into this version of the character but thanks for the links. It'll all be too small and 56 bucks plus shipping and tax to the UK for some detail parts it just too expensive mate. I am interested in the 12" version though I'll have a look for one as I didn't know it existed or just mistook it for a simpler 6" version, the helmet could be very useful! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Thanks guys!
    Moonbase: I watched Shartimus Prime's video a while back which gave me my first insight into this version of the character but thanks for the links. It'll all be too small and 56 bucks plus shipping and tax to the UK for some detail parts it just too expensive mate. I am interested in the 12" version though I'll have a look for one as I didn't know it existed or just mistook it for a simpler 6" version, the helmet could be very useful! Cheers!
    Downside is that it's "electronic" so not the cheapest. The existing LEDs in the eyes could simplify your build if they look ok. And selling at normal retail stores even in the UK, so no markup, no customs, no shipping, and possible availability of store discounts. Here's a pic at a UK dealer: Spider-Man 12 in Electronic Marvels Vulture - Spiderman - Boys - Hasbro | Wind Designs and here it is at TRU-UK http://www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/s?Dy=1...ulture&x=0&y=0 where an "all-Marvel" discount could come up.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: I didnt even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.

Found him on ebay for 23 quid inc. shipping etc here in the UK. I haven't seen any info on what the electrics do but will look for a vid on YT now. As for the turbines you mentioned earlier, already got some! They were in that giant Bionicle haul I purchased when I had plans to build the Hulk Buster (second time that build fell through lol, nearly paid for him through SSC infact they're taking a payment today..ouch..).

Love the helmet not sure it's movie accurate though, the electrics suck!! It just goes whoosh with static... no LEDs.. or even cool movie quotes.

Okay there are 3 sound effects...flying, clashing blades and power down... Boy did Hasbro skimp out on this figure! Not only is it not movie accurate, there's hardly any paint, no details paint work and they didn't paint the entire back of the figure as in there's no paint on the back at all! Not on the wings, jacket, trousers..nothing! 26 quid suggested retail price..nuts!

Just waiting for someone like you to rescue it!

CHEERS!

Well, I certainly didn't mean to vouch for it or recommend it -- just thought you should be aware of it. Basically it seems to be pretty much a Titan Heroes shampoo bottle with batteries. Then again, as rogerbee says, in the hands of shovelchop, who knows...

Just waiting for someone like you to rescue it!

CHEERS!
    LOL! I think it's beyond rescuing but I still like the helmet even if it's not 100% movie accurate the symmetrical hoses give it more of a vulture bird like look to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    Well, I certainly didn't mean to vouch for it or recommend it -- just thought you should be aware of it. Basically it seems to be pretty much a Titan Heroes shampoo bottle with batteries. Then again, as rogerbee says, in the hands of shovelchop, who knows...
    Don't get me wrong dude, I'm really glad you told me about the 12" figure! I like the helmet a lot just wish it was a cheaper figure then I'd get it for that alone! The thing about improving Titan figures is that the only way I can do it to make it worth buying one or my time alone is if it's an armour based figure like a Storm Trooper or Iron Man type of character like you'll see what I did with their War Machine MKIII; in fact I just finished it so here's a teaser...

I've also noticed Vulture has different armour in different fight scenes which is a cool idea, obviously I'll be doing the most armoured version!

Hey Shovel, do you mind telling me where you got the ratchet joints from and what size they are?

Ebay mate, as for size not sure yet as they haven't arrived but you can judge from the number of standard LEGO connectors how big they are.

Dude... I'm seriously looking forward to this.

The wizard of ahhhs strikes again.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Yes!!! Always excited when you tackle a Marvel character.

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Dude... I'm seriously looking forward to this.

The wizard of ahhhs strikes again.
    LOL, cheers dadrab!

Quote Originally Posted by Blight616 View Post
    Yes!!! Always excited when you tackle a Marvel character.
    Thanks Blight! I'm trying to remember how many I've actually done now that you mention it hmmm.. Wolverine, The Spirit, The Octopus Nazi version (because I thought it was hilarious!), Silken Floss, 4x Punisher & MECH, 3x Ghost Rider, Blade, 3x Whiplash, Obadiah Stain, The Mandarin, HAMMER Drone, IM MKII armour unleashed and then some!, Titanium Man, Pepper Potts, Tony Stark x5, IM Bones armour flying in pieces from a Crazy Toys statue repainted etc.., Movie Thor, Red Skull, War Machine Vengeance Armour, I think that's it; probably missed a couple though!
    Anyway enough of that procrastinating! On with the build as parts actually showed up much faster than I'd expected, so to mess that up I've ordered 6 more heavy duty Lego ratchets as the wings need to fold as well as flair out/ collapse. This is a very early mock up just to see where I am and what I might be able to use, the glider's wings will be cut back severely from the bottom up, getting higher has the wing extends. It will be the backbone/superstructure of the build and all the moving parts will be attached to it with ratchet joints as feathers/blades, it will also be cut vertically in key locations to be hinged by the large ratchet joints; basically most of that orange plastic will go away! I'll be making the helmet from various ones and bits and bobs to get it accurate, I'll be adding the correct fur too; the wing may end up a bit more complicated looking than the movie ones but they will be menacing!

Last edited by shovelchop81; 10-19-2017 at 04:59.

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Parts Arrived.

Interesting, I'm sure it'll all come together eventually.

CHEERS!

Interesting, I'm sure it'll all come together eventually.

CHEERS!
    What do you mean eventually? I'll be cutting off all the extraneous bits from the Bionicle parts to make them more "feather" like.

Sounds like a plan!

CHEERS!

Last time I did this I was 11 and pinning a dead bat to a Styrofoam board in Greece, ah... fond childhood memories! . The wingspan shown is not taking into account the main body/harness/power-pack unit and will be even wider but I need to attach more Styrofoam and order some more Bionicle bits in green and black, the silver is fine as any paint scratching or chipping can be put down to weathering. Skint until next week though...

Bits that can still be added and the ratchets that have to be cut down and mounted to the glider wing remains.

It's looking good! One thing I liked in the movie design was the use of real life, more realistic aviator touches like the fur-lined bomber jacket and the pilot helmet being combined with the crazy high tech wings. In the movie that "real world pilot feel" probably gets swamped by all the transformery wings stuff, but on a good static 1/6 figure (like yours is and Hasbro's isn't) it's gonna make a really nice visual contrast. Since they're in the same universe, you think maybe MCU Vulture ever sees MCU Falcon flying by, and has to think, hmmm maybe I've overcomplicated this...

Something is definitely emerging...

CHEERS!

Something is definitely emerging...

CHEERS!
    I'll get there ....eventually... lol! Looking a bit like Anthony Kiedis thunderbird back tattoo at the moment, or not enough like it as I'll explain below.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Started Painting Too..-anthony-kiedis-tattoo-2-jpg