Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Started Painting Too..

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Vanes/Fletching Attached To Quills/Sh

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    I'm starting to get a little more where you're going. As many early effects pioneers will tell you, it's great what you can get away with when clever lighting and camera angles are used.

CHEERS!

Last edited by shovelchop81; 11-11-2017 at 20:13.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Vanes/Fletching Attached To Quills/Sh

LOL! Nice one! Go Leonard!

CHEERS!

LOL! Nice one! Go Leonard!

CHEERS!
    LOL, yeah, I put Leonard's own video first singing in London but thought that the use of this song in the Watchmen was more visually entertaining. Interestingly this version is missing a verse, I guess it must be censored like the movie content for a lower rating, Director's cut is much better as usual. Just finished the superstructure for the second wing and will start adding and matching feathers now.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

You could have gone for Alexandra Burke, but then I would have had you shot!

Hope it's still progressing.

CHEERS!

Second wing (part, as there's more to them..) done and matched to the first as closely as I can be arsed! , having just these bits together is going to make the 1/6 Little Bird attack helicopter look small and that's in the correct scale! Just ordered some airbrush paint, US Army Green, black primer and a Dremell adjustable chuck for drill bits. I'm also a gluten for punishment as I ordered the 30cmx157cm of military Green 3D carbon fibre vinyl sheet to encase all the feather vanes/flat bits/turbine housings etc.. That means taking off every vane, cutting vinyl to wrap each vane one by one and repunching all the holes...and then some... ; it's just they'll look so cool in that carbon fibre! Making sure all the lines in the carbon fibre pattern go in the same direction will no doubt drive me bonkers too.. I only have myself to blame, well and the fact that there's no way paint will stay on that flexible plastic, it would be like a big green confetti pinata!

This is just using one of the five joints he'll have for four points of articulation on each wing alone and that's not counting the articulation that will be needed for the turbines to move around on their independent brackets.

Last edited by shovelchop81; 11-13-2017 at 09:57.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Second wing (part, as there's more to them..) done and matched to the first as closely as I can be arsed! , having just these bits together is going to make the 1/6 Little Bird attack helicopter look small and that's in the correct scale! Just ordered some airbrush paint, US Army Green, black primer and a Dremell adjustable chuck for drill bits. I'm also a gluten for punishment as I ordered the 30cmx157cm of military Green 3D carbon fibre vinyl sheet to encase all the feather vanes/flat bits/turbine housings etc.. That means taking off every vane, cutting vinyl to wrap each vane one by one and repunching all the holes...and then some... ; it's just they'll look so cool in that carbon fibre! Making sure all the lines in the carbon fibre pattern go in the same direction will no doubt drive me bonkers too.. I only have myself to blame, well and the fact that there's no way paint will stay on that flexible plastic, it would be like a big green confetti pinata!

The last set of pictures definitely marks a further transition from "pile o'parts," to "oh wow, would you look at that!" Human body winged flight is such a dream concept that seeing it realized makes a very powerful image. All the more so, when it's not just a speedy bit of CGI in the movie but a tangible figure on your worktable. Gonna be good!

BTW thanks for the Leonard Cohen, who was from my old neighborhood. Never met him (apart from 2 concerts) but I walked past his house often, and in high school, one of my friends baby-sat for him. Such a loss.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Wings Spread Eagle..Er..Vulture..

Ah hah, now I see it, it does actually make sense now.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    The last set of pictures definitely marks a further transition from "pile o'parts," to "oh wow, would you look at that!" Human body winged flight is such a dream concept that seeing it realized makes a very powerful image. All the more so, when it's not just a speedy bit of CGI in the movie but a tangible figure on your worktable. Gonna be good!

BTW thanks for the Leonard Cohen, who was from my old neighborhood. Never met him (apart from 2 concerts) but I walked past his house often, and in high school, one of my friends baby-sat for him. Such a loss.
    Thanks moonbase! My dad used to listen to him, might still do which is how I know him aside from The Watchmen sex in shuttle scene! . A friend of mine at design school used to get stoned and listen to him while I got drunk and listened to Megadeth!

Ah hah, now I see it, it does actually make sense now.

CHEERS!
    Yay! And I get to work on new parts finally! So here's another Hallelujah....

That's a 10 from Len!

CHEERS!

That's a 10 from Len!

CHEERS!
    Luckily I grew up in Greece so didn't have to put up with those old quiz/competition shows!

got all the Tertiary/Tertials section to do next which will involve many hinges for the thrusters and smaller feathers, also articulation for the whole wing as in the "Scapula" , "Coracoid" and elbow of the wing. I got those little turbine fans with LEDs to work, just some loose circuitry so I may include them as a gimmick if I can knock up an infra red remote control system for them and the power supply is light enough. I cut down the solid wing sections to get an upwards sweep, I also filed them to shape and sanded them so paint can adhere. Glued on the steel square tube and had to jam the hinges in at 45 degrees off centre of the tubes as the wings would all be wonky otherwise, needed to hammer them in gently. The rest is all in my head and I need to decide on which hinges to use where.

Strictly isn't that old, LOL!

Things are happening there!

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Glad you enjoy the thread and it made you see the film, not a brilliant film but Iron Man was in it so had to see it! . I just like the modern concept of the Vulture and am trying to get that across in this build.

Yes this has been debated (almost to the point of just chucking the project in the bin!) as in using more bird like feathers, I even threatened to shoot a seagull and rip it's wings off because I was getting so frustrated. You may recall in the film, his wings are like a giant cutlery collection and used as mele weapons to chop and slice etc.. they are very angular and not like real bird feathers at all, that look was the very old comic book look with them attached to his arms. To use real feathers even painted ones would give him a way too organic and angelic look, not the mechanical sharp metal the movie wings are.

As you can see the design seems to vary a lot, ie where the turbines are etc.. but the one constant is the sharp metal feather blades:

That's right - I seem to recall him using his flight feathers like scissors to give the chop to Spidey's web. Good call on the materials - and great updates.
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

Strictly isn't that old, LOL!

Things are happening there!

CHEERS!
    Well it might as well be! A cast from the past as I recall not that I watched it, I mean it was on the same time as Top Gear FFS!
    Still piecing bits together but have been sidetracked by new Transformers toys, I finally got Peru Kill, Unique Toys version of a Movie Masterpiece Lockdown from Age Of Extinction, my favourite character ever since he was introduced into the Animated series, he's a bounty hunter with no faction and Loosely based on a Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western type character like Cad Bane from Star Wars The Clone Wars bounty hunter was or the cover art by Derek Rigs on Iron Maiden's Stranger In A Strange Land single depicting Eddie as a Space bounty hunter with a Western vibe. Although Lockdown doesn't have the Western thing going on in the movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Eaton Flipflop View Post
    That's right - I seem to recall him using his flight feathers like scissors to give the chop to Spidey's web. Good call on the materials - and great updates.
    Cheers Eaton! I'm doing what I can, looking forward to building his exo-armour and taloned boots!

I never watch Strictly either as it clashes with The X Factor (which isn't as good as last year). Was contemplating a NECA Predator as 3D reference for my Billiken one, it was crap though, so I didn't bother. Can't wait to get hold of the kit though, one of my all time grails.

Keep up the good work

CHEERS!

I've got the 1/4 scale NECA Predator screaming version, it's awesome! Got plenty of HT and custom 1/6 ones as you know too. Just spent bloody hours creating an abbreviation of this thread in pics only on FB, I told you I seem to be a masochist!

Yeah, well, the big stuff seems to be where all the money goes these days. I'm not paying £130 for one and they're too big for me right now, maybe not soon, but now they are. When 1/4 sale figures first came out they were £40 and you really got bang for your buck, but, I'm just not sure you do now. I'll have a look at some reviews and see what deals there are though.

CHEERS!

I got mine for 65quid soon after it was first released which is peanuts compared to HT or statues that can go for a grand! Prices are going up though no doubt, on everything including food, I bought my 18" H.R. Geiger version for 24quid when it first came out but when they re-released exactly the same figure last year it was now 100quid...

I'm sure they've done all new versions, including the Alien, I'm sure I've seen comparisons where you can see the differences. I am basing my prices on one store in Norwich and they put the distributor mark up on everything, hence the HT Harley being £300. I'll have to have a look on eBay and see what stuff is going for on there.

CHEERS!

The 1/4 Predators now come with a light up targeting device and their netting is brown not black I think, not sure if they did anything else, the Alien looks the same to me but I could be wrong, still one heck of a price hike though!

You're not wrong, the price I paid for the Billiken one was what I would have paid when they were new which is about £80. There are some for silly money elsewhere on eBay. I'm sure HT have been to blame for some of it. Sellers look and see triple figures and just slap that tag on regardless of the actual value. Then they call them rare. They are 'rare' because nobody can afford them thanks to the exorbitant price tags that get stuck on them!

CHEERS!

Fascinated watching this come together. The fact that you're wiring the turbines to spin and light up has utterly just blown my mind. Can't wait to see how this comes out.

You're not wrong, the price I paid for the Billiken one was what I would have paid when they were new which is about £80. There are some for silly money elsewhere on eBay. I'm sure HT have been to blame for some of it. Sellers look and see triple figures and just slap that tag on regardless of the actual value. Then they call them rare. They are 'rare' because nobody can afford them thanks to the exorbitant price tags that get stuck on them!

CHEERS!
    Well if that were the case they would be readily available if no one was buying them! LOL. It's partly HT's fault and partly the fact that the cost of materials, shipping etc.. has gone way up due to environmental protection laws and taxes, even printing in Asia shot right up in price this year, not sure what caused that though, some trade restrictions probably, they can't have run out of ink and paper!

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendSpooky View Post

Fascinated watching this come together. The fact that you're wiring the turbines to spin and light up has utterly just blown my mind. Can't wait to see how this comes out.
    Cheers RS! No guarantees on the turbine gimmick as yet, I need to find a power source that is light, designed to power USB dependant products and has a remote control system. I'm thinking booster power packs for mobile phone related stuff like cheap speakers? Maybe the EL-Wire shop has something that will work since they use it in costumes too. Any ideas on that would be great, the power source that is, not EL-Wire..

Not so with the Billiken Predator, they came out in the early 90's and went not long after. I don't know how many were made, but, there are some unrealistic prices being put up because they are relatively rare. The guy I could have bought one from in the 90's is selling one for the same price I would have paid back then. That to me is reasonable. They go for HT money in the US and that's before shipping, they were sold by the US arm of Billiken which was based in Hawaii. They would have been cheap as chips over there as there would have been no import costs. Something happened along the way and it's name is Hot Toys. Dealers saw what the HT one was going for and slapped that tag onto the Billiken kits they could get.

Mine was a good honest seller that had probably had it in since new and just wanted rid. I got lucky there I think!

CHEERS!

Not so with the Billiken Predator, they came out in the early 90's and went not long after. I don't know how many were made, but, there are some unrealistic prices being put up because they are relatively rare. The guy I could have bought one from in the 90's is selling one for the same price I would have paid back then. That to me is reasonable. They go for HT money in the US and that's before shipping, they were sold by the US arm of Billiken which was based in Hawaii. They would have been cheap as chips over there as there would have been no import costs. Something happened along the way and it's name is Hot Toys. Dealers saw what the HT one was going for and slapped that tag onto the Billiken kits they could get.

Mine was a good honest seller that had probably had it in since new and just wanted rid. I got lucky there I think!

CHEERS!
    I was just talking about figures in general being produced today, I've never heard of Billiken tbh, my model builds are restricted to Zoids and Gundam as I love their working mechanics, totally opposite to a model statue kit I guess.
    Done more work on the tertial wing sections and the thruster mounts, the green carbon fibre 3D vinyl wrap just arrived with the paint too.

Last edited by shovelchop81; 11-17-2017 at 10:50.

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Tertials And Turbines...

Looking good,

In the garage kit world, Billiken are up there with HT. They were mainly based in Japan and did a lot of tinplate stuff before branching out into model kits in the mid 80's. They did a lot of Toho Studios stuff with kits of various monsters from the Godzilla movies. Then they did some Harryhausen stuff and vintage US scifi before going onto classic Universal monsters. Predator brought them bang up to date and I think they would have continued had it not been for recasts. The market was flooded with recasts of their kits and still is so the legit companies all decided to stop as demand for their originals at the prices they wanted completely vanished as everyone bought the recasts instead.

I could have bought a recast Predator years ago and had done with it, but, I held fast and waited for an original and I'm damn glad I did!

CHEERS!

Been researching possible power packs and compatible remote control systems to power the motorised turbine fans that run on only 5v when everything else that's not usb seems to run on 12v or higher so not an easy task. After crunching numbers in my head for all the possible configurations of the items I found (shown below) I think I've worked out a viable combination, taking into account: Voltage needed, amps, weight, size and convenience of shapes/dimensions to allow it to work with this build as it all has to be self contained in the back pack and figure. My brain is now burnt out...going to bed...

Power supply options:

Remote control systems options:

Some interesting ideas,

I'm assuming he'll be on a base, so something in the base leading discretely up to the fans is the order of the day. It's a case of balancing cost and practicality. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

BTW, I did a thread for my Pred: Billiken Predator (Finally!)

Have fun

CHEERS!

Well like I mentioned he'll be hanging from the ceiling which why a remote would be necessary for a self contained system but that would need to be recharged all the time so my other option is to run a white usb extension across the ceiling and down to a socket and use one of my spare RC socket adaptors instead, if I hang him close to a wall it shouldn't be any hassle. Done more work.
    I'll check out your thread tomorrow as my PC's playing up, AVG has gone a bit weird so having to uninstall various programs, reinstall them and run cleaners etc..

Bolt and thread collar/helicoil system I found bunch of on a table thrown away outside...another win for "junk"!

AVG is notoriously resource hungry, it needs over 1gb of memory to run and the link scanner really slows things up. It tends to be avoided these days. I use Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Panda Security. They do the job and are way less memory intensive. Panda uses hardly any memory as most of it is cloud based. I'd ditch AVG sharpish if I were you.

You can't do this thread without a PC!

CHEERS!

Got both, I don't like viruses! I don't think it was AVG's fault more like something got down loaded or that the Malwarebytes Pro free trial was running out interfered to encourage me to buy it. I just did a roll back, all good now. Drilling holes today so I can double up the hinges on the first up/down joint as it supports the majority of the wing. Visited your new thread.