Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Started Painting Too..

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Fun Playing W/ Part Of A Giant Wing!

I have a set from the Avatar chopper that I broke down forever ago to try to build a "hovercycle" that I never got around to. If the postage wasn't so much I would send them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by steve74 View Post
    I have a set from the Avatar chopper that I broke down forever ago to try to build a "hovercycle" that I never got around to. If the postage wasn't so much I would send them to you.
    Thanks for the kind intentions, don't worry as they are blades rather than the turbines he uses of which I already have some the right size .
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Ok, I'll see what comes out....

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Ok, I'll see what comes out....

CHEERS!

Thanks for this by the way! Sort of makes me feel like a pet project though...

I think Shovelchop tops my list right now. Our bashing banter has got me through many a fallow period and he gets better with every bit of encouragement we give him.

CHEERS!
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

I'm surprised you hadn't already seen that.

My mood is likely to be variable for a little while, I'm nervous as hell about next year, doing everything for myself is a big thing, I think I'm ready though....

CHEERS!

Oh I had seen it and responded in that thread too thanking you, dadrab, Jaz, MAM, AFM etc.. for all your support and ideas/parts info.

Been attaching all the thin plastic to the feathers this evening, the top and the bottom parts articulate independently, I still have to work out what I'm doing with the last three feathers and praying my food delivery tonight comes with more of the same containers as I need a few more bits for filler but think I ordered stuff in round tubs, bugger!
    I understand where you're coming from mood swing wise, suffering from chronic depression and anxiety myself I have a habit of over reacting at times and not giving a toss when I should in other scenarios... probably why I get defensive about my builds as they mean so much to me as it's what lets me fall to sleep peacefully and what makes me get out of bed with a purpose if that makes any sense?

Anyway, this is where I'm at now, salvaged all the screws from a heater the chip shop on the corner threw out!

other wing started...

After literally digging through my garbage (seems quite appropriate for a vulture build!) with no luck, thinking I might still have one or two from last week, I then remembered I had some cleaned ones in my storage room with random parts in them! Discovered 3 complete and a bit of one, why a bit? No idea! I think I used part of it in my War Machine's wings build! anyway happy I don't have to wait a week or more to get the material I need now .

How the hell do you see this in your mind???

I'm blown away.

Carry on, seer of the "big picture."
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    How the hell do you see this in your mind???

I'm blown away.

Carry on, seer of the "big picture."
    Is that in a good way? Or a "what the hell were you thinking?" way?
    I could blame it on too many acid trips but only ever did two and I think one was a dud but I was too wasted on JD and stoned at a private Biker mechanics' party tell the difference! Didn't stop me drag racing my H-D chopper on sugar sand with the others in that state out in the boonies though! Crazy days...
    I just mull over ideas when I'm going to sleep, the problem solving helps distract me from the depression and actually helps me get to sleep as mentioned above; I just think "what if I..." or "maybe this could work.." then try it when I wake up.

I'm sure it'll come good in the end. Should really tell myself that!

CHEERS!

I'm sure it'll come good in the end. Should really tell myself that!

CHEERS!
    Just imagine you're going to uni for the first time, making sure you can cook, clean etc.. the basics is a start, the rest will come naturally and you'll wonder why you were worried in the first place, one step at a time that's the key to most things.
    I of course am all over the place with this build, well it looks that way as I picked up the wrong final feather section to complete the wing's articulated portion so there's most of one built and part of the other! I also played around with ways to make the turbines articulated as it's a VTOL set up. Found some Spider Man helicopter wings too that must have come in an ebay job lot, might remove the red metallic paint as it's grey plastic underneath and incorporate them for irony's sake...

Cut those trays up...

I'll cut this cheese cake thing in half to make the articulated brackets for the pivoting turbines:

The end part assembled but it's for the other wing...doh!

Controlled chaos at my work area, most of what you see is for this build! Except the gun, that's another build..

I've got the basics down already from when my folks used to go on long holidays, it's the budget I've got to manage the most. Its all going out with nothing coming in. I'll be monitoring the first year very closely.

Have fun

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    ...Or a "what the hell were you thinking?" way?
    Awww, hell. You ought to know better than that by now.

My brain's pretty simple and can't even fathom seeing something this complex without putting pencil to paper...and, then I screw it up most of the time.

Bwahahahahaha.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

I of course am all over the place with this build, well it looks that way as I picked up the wrong final feather section to complete the wing's articulated portion so there's most of one built and part of the other! I also played around with ways to make the turbines articulated as it's a VTOL set up. Found some Spider Man helicopter wings too that must have come in an ebay job lot, might remove the red metallic paint as it's grey plastic underneath and incorporate them for irony's sake...

Controlled chaos at my work area, most of what you see is for this build! Except the gun, that's another build..

Suspense builds... I will say looking at this that I'd be more skeptical of the final result if I didn't know your successful track record from previous builds.

I had the amusing thought, seeing this just after I watched a clip on CNN, that you're only about 3 hrs drive from the real thing (Gravity Industries, Richard Browning Iron Man style jetsuit, and also there's an innovative wingsuit, both in Wiltshire).
    Last edited by Moonbase Alpha Male; 11-09-2017 at 14:53.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

I've got the basics down already from when my folks used to go on long holidays, it's the budget I've got to manage the most. Its all going out with nothing coming in. I'll be monitoring the first year very closely.

Have fun

CHEERS!
    Talk to your bank manager about a monthly allowance, they'll be more than happy to help you not spend your money in their accounts! Include an emergency clause though and a request for certain larger sums that take a few days to process in case you see something you really want but don't want to be tempted by impulse buys.

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Awww, hell. You ought to know better than that by now.

My brain's pretty simple and can't even fathom seeing something this complex without putting pencil to paper...and, then I screw it up most of the time.

Bwahahahahaha.
    Don't worry I didn't think you meant it (well not 100% with all these doubters around me! LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    Suspense builds... I will say looking at this that I'd be more skeptical of the final result if I didn't know your successful track record from previous builds.

I had the amusing thought, seeing this just after I watched a clip on CNN, that you're only about 3 hrs drive from the real thing (Gravity Industries, Richard Browning Iron Man style jetsuit, and also there's an innovative wingsuit, both in Wiltshire).
    Well hopefully it will turn out like the War Machine build where there was also scepticism in the wing builds....

I remember Roger saying this about my War Machine Vengeance Armour wings:
    rogerbee
    rogerbee is offline I'm BACK!!

Re: WIP War Machine MKIII Civil War 1/9/17 Finis? No, New Fin & Wing Shape

They look so uneven now, you had them just right before. I learned the hard way that not all bright ideas are good ones, like swapping bodies on Indy!
    Then this on the finished pics thread:

rogerbee
    rogerbee is offline I'm BACK!!

Re: My Finished Scratch Built War Machine Vengeance Armour Outdoors Pics.

When you see it all like that it all looks so good. It looks really professional, like a fully manufactured piece and not a scratchbuilt one off.

Very impressive

CHEERS!
    I didn't change the design, just finished the figure!

I'll have to google the Iron Man jet suit guy, sounds facinating, I only remember the Swiss guy and his jet wings that he crossed the British Channel with!

As for the mess, have you ever seen an artist's studio? I used to paint 2D as an illustrator but did a lot of weird Geiger type stuff too on large tripods/stands, that gets pretty chaotic as well!
    Last edited by shovelchop81; 11-09-2017 at 22:56.

Got the main part of one wing together with all (might add another to the flap hinge) fletches/vanes on and overlapped correctly, I will be cutting the bottoms of each vane (long and short) to a 45 degree(ish) angle so they look a bit like Stanley blades and not butter knives! There is a ridiculous amount of articulation in these already, super fiddly so I just took pics of the basics and a pic with other components to be finished and with the pilot to give you a clearer idea of scale, these are big!

I'll have to google the Iron Man jet suit guy, sounds facinating, I only remember the Swiss guy and his jet wings that he crossed the British Channel with!

Adam Savage Meets Richard Browning's Flight Suit! - YouTube

Today's CNN Record: Real-life 'Iron Man' sets new world record - Video - Technology

Watch inventor fly in self-made jet-powered suit - YouTube
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Vanes/Fletching Attached To Quills/Sh

Don't forget that I say what I feel at the time and going by what I see. I hadn't seen the finished War Machine properly finished and shot well when I made the earlier comments. My opinion only changes when I see something that makes me want to change it.

So far, we'll just have to see...

CHEERS!

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Vanes/Fletching Attached To Quills/Sh

Cheers moonbase!!

Don't forget that I say what I feel at the time and going by what I see. I hadn't seen the finished War Machine properly finished and shot well when I made the earlier comments. My opinion only changes when I see something that makes me want to change it.

So far, we'll just have to see...

CHEERS!
    Noted and ouch!...woke up on the wrong side of the bed or what? Didn't mean to pick on you but it was just the perfect example.

Cut the vane tips as planned, I need to add extensions to the last three feathers that are used for left and right directional control on birds I think? And for cutting Spider Man's webs in the movie, oh and columns supporting a building...as you do...I'll be filling in the gap on the flapping hinge too. Still folds up well and looks like a castle from LOTR in Mordor when it does!

A Mordor castle or he crashed!

Bits to be added:

I'm going with crashed, LOL!

Didn't mean that last comment to come across as negatively as you took it. I think we catch each other at the wrong time of day. How light do those wings feel when you pick them up? They look so ungainly and heavy to me.

CHEERS!

Look, this guy isn't a bird, if I wanted real bird wings I could have shot one of the many seagulls that annoy the crap out of me here with one of my many guns, ripped it's wings off, stuck it on an action figure, build over.These are big bulky Transformers like wings made of metal that can knock buildings down, watch the film, he uses Chitaurii tech and metal scrap to build them, if they look ungainly and heavy, good!! They're meant to be . They will be matte black with some olive drab and metallic weathering, I'm tempted to use sticky back vinyl carbon fibre again as paint won't stick to these bendy vanes for long I don't think and I've seen some in Chameleon Green which is black with a green shimmer effect but dread the work it will involve. This is how they are going to look, I'm happy with them and not changing anything except perhaps the odd length of vane at the ends as I hadn't seen it all put together until I took the pics ; I swapped a couple of feathers around towards the tips to get a better length consistency. The wing weighs around a pound so far as I've been very careful what materials I used in the build to keep the weight down but look heavy.

Just options/ideas...Black is obvious but there are these to consider too:

OOH, this looks good!

Ah, the plot comes together. You're saying this is the Vulture equivalent of the Iron Man Mk1, gotcha!

Carry on..

CHEERS!

TBH the between the amount it changes in the film like Michael Bay's Transformers transformation scenes and all the inconsistencies of the movie toys I'm not even sure if the designers know exactly what it looks like! Then there's concept art, fan art, comics art; I'm just doing what I can with what I've got and trying to enjoy the build to end up with something cool that represents the movie version of Vulture. Just shot the hell out of a beer can at 30m with solid 6mm steel ball bearings using my upgraded now CO2 SVD Dragunov sniper rifle, didn't think the steel would even reach the target let alone do this! Went straight through both sides of a door at 30m too!! Never tried using 6mm SS BB's before, they're 3x as heavy as regular 4.5mm ones and regular 6mm plastic ones, I feel much better now .

Man, this is such a fun project to watch unfold ( no pun intended ). I actually rented to film after seeing the first postings of your project - Vulture is a likable villain, I can see why you wanted to tackle this subject in sixthscale.
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

You may have already answered this question, but had you early on considered using actual feathers ( larger flight feathers ), painted a gunmetal color?
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Eaton Flipflop View Post
    Man, this is such a fun project to watch unfold ( no pun intended ). I actually rented to film after seeing the first postings of your project - Vulture is a likable villain, I can see why you wanted to tackle this subject in sixthscale.
    Glad you enjoy the thread and it made you see the film, not a brilliant film but Iron Man was in it so had to see it! . I just like the modern concept of the Vulture and am trying to get that across in this build.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Eaton Flipflop View Post
    You may have already answered this question, but had you early on considered using actual feathers ( larger flight feathers ), painted a gunmetal color?
    Yes this has been debated (almost to the point of just chucking the project in the bin!) as in using more bird like feathers, I even threatened to shoot a seagull and rip it's wings off because I was getting so frustrated. You may recall in the film, his wings are like a giant cutlery collection and used as mele weapons to chop and slice etc.. they are very angular and not like real bird feathers at all, that look was the very old comic book look with them attached to his arms. To use real feathers even painted ones would give him a way too organic and angelic look, not the mechanical sharp metal the movie wings are.

As you can see the design seems to vary a lot, ie where the turbines are etc.. but the one constant is the sharp metal feather blades:

Here you go from the MCU Wiki about the movie Vulture's Wing harness:

in:
    Article stubs, Items, Spider-Man: Homecoming Items
    Vulture's Exo-Suit
    Edit
    I want more
    "Well, I want more."
    This article is a stub. You can help Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki by expanding it.
    Please expand this article. Once finished, this notice may be removed.
    Vulture's Exo-Suit
    Creator
    Tinkerer
    Made
    Owners
    Vulture
    Users
    Vulture
    Appearances
    Movie
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Status
    Destroyed

"Your wingsuit's gonna explode!"
    ―Spider-Man to Vulture[src]

Vulture's Exo-Suit is a specialized flying mechanical suit used by the Vulture. It was created by Phineas Mason by using salvaged Chitauri technology and later used by the Vulture for his criminal and vengeful purposes. In appearance, it consists of a metallic body armor, outfitted with a pair of talons and a winged, detachable steel harness that allows him to fly.
    Contents[show]
    History

To be added
    Capabilities
    FullSizeRender - Copy (12)

Mechanical Wings: Vulture's Exo-Suit has a special pair of retractable wings which enables him to fly with ease. The wings have specialized motors which provide thrust. They do not need to be manually controlled by the Vulture, allowing him to use hand-held weapons while in flight. The wings can also be used in combat as blades, which are sharp enough to cut through a cargo plane with little trouble.
    Flight: The pair of powerful turbines within the suit's winged harness enables flight at high speeds and provides the Vulture with considerable agility despite the suit's large wing span.
    Talons: The edges of the wings can double as incredibly sharp talons which are capable of destroying entire concrete pillars. Another of its function is the ability to cut through objects in a scissor-like fashion, while they could also act as pincers to grab and lift objects effortlessly. Additionally, the harness has a pair of mechanical talons at the feet that allow for lifting heavy loads while in flight.
    Decoy Drone: There is a decoy drone stored in the back compartment of the Vulture's wings. The decoy drone was used to throw the cargo plane's ground control off the Vulture's scent.
    High Altitude Vacuum Seal: A later add-on function of the wings is its ability to form a high altitude vacuum seal by bringing them close together.
    Remote Control: The wings can be controlled remotely by the Vulture. They were activated remotely to destroy the supporting beams of a warehouse during one of the Vulture's confrontations with Spider-Man.
    Exo-Suit: The primary purpose of the Exo-Suit is for Vulture to support the weight of the large winged steel harness but also enhances his strength in the process.
    Enhanced Strength: The exo-suit gives Vulture the strength to overpower both humans and superhumans alike.
    Enhanced Durability: The metallic portion of the exo-suit provides the Vulture with some degree of resistance to damage.

Limitations

"I need a little time to get her airborne."
    ―Vulture to Spider-Man[src]

Chitauri Technology: The alien technology within the suit is known to become volatile and malfunction when exposed to high levels of radiation or electrical power, including the kind emitted by arc reactor cores.

Trivia

In the comics, the Vulture created his artificial magnetic wings that were capable of flying without any noise to commit robberies and remain undetected.
    In an early concept of the Vulture, the Exo-Suit was a modified prototype version of the EXO-7 Falcon.

More reference pics focusing on the mechanical build of the wings (by the way I've been planning on giving my Vulture Gatling guns from the beginning, I don't care if it's not movie accurate, it's cooler than a laser canon!):

TASM 2 Vulture wings compared to the SMHC Vulture:

The reason the toy's wings look so thin is not because it's movie accurate but because its from a BAF set and Hasbro are cheap arse bastards!

At this rate I'm going to be cutting black plastic in my sleep! Finally got the one side to look the way I'd envisioned it, I just need to do it all again for the other wing! . Decided on a colour change too, I'll be painting it all U.S. Army green with my airbrush over a black primer layer then go into the details with matte blacks, metallic black and some metal weathering etc.. if the paint won't hold up I'll order some of that Military Green carbon Fibre wrap from Ireland.

I'm starting to get a little more where you're going. As many early effects pioneers will tell you, it's great what you can get away with when clever lighting and camera angles are used.

CHEERS!