Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Started Painting Too..

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Building Giant Machanical Feathers..

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Right now, I would leave her where I found her and I'll have many more things I'll need to spend that kind of money on. WW was a final treat, or should be...

CHEERS!
    Are you sure you're not from Yorkshire or Scotland?
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Funny you should say that, my Mum was from Yorkshire and my Dad was from Tees-side.

CHEERS!

Boring stuff now sorry, bloody time consuming too; I'm filing and cutting all the adaptors for the hinges used by the feathers, I'll then need to hand drill all of them and the feather ends too so I can bolt them together. I also hacksawed off the excess threads from the heavy duty ratchets and filled in the holes on the bars to strengthen them as these will need to be drilled through the solid sections to rotate in the correct direction for the "flapping" articulation of the wings which would weaken them even more if the other holes weren't supported/filled in. At least I got to assemble and "play" with my Striker Noir Transformers figure as well!

Done pile:

Still to do pile:

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

There are boring bits to every bash, but, they help you get to the exciting stuff so they have to be endured.

My Wonder Woman is up if you fancy a gander

CHEERS!

There are boring bits to every bash, but, they help you get to the exciting stuff so they have to be endured.

My Wonder Woman is up if you fancy a gander

CHEERS!
    Very true... Checked your WW out, really nice! Just pissed off she's not true 1/6 or I might have had a look at prices for her.
    Got the set of wing parts in the mail today, a bit of too little too late but think I've found a good spot for them.

Well done all the hacksawing and filing finally!! Well for these bits anyway, also hand drilled 22 holes so far (thumb hurts! LOL) going to need around 60 holes altogether for the feathers alone. I've enough hinge/joint parts by the skin of my teeth, technically I'm two "side to side" ones short but will make do with "back and forth" ones instead. Still waiting on those 20 connectors from Germany though..

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Hand Filing/Sawing/Drilling Forever..

Depends what you think true 1/6 is. If you don't stand her near HT's then you'll get away with it. I wouldn't turn her down just because of the scale. I definitely want their Star-lord next year, I might even repaint the sculpt.

Glad to see Vulture isn't boring you too much

CHEERS!

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Hand Filing/Sawing/Drilling Forever..

That's the problem, she'd go in my DC collection pictured below. As for the Vulture parts, well they're not going to cut, file and drill themselves so best just get on with it! LOL. Got those extra heavy duty ratchets and black Dylon in the post today, still no sign of the German parts yet. I watched all of 24 Legacy, really good you should give it another try, they're not trying to replace Jack as the new lead isn't a CTU operator but an ex-Ranger from a team that did a Binladen like assassination op and the terrorist's family are out for revenge etc.. Tony Almeda is in it and Keifer Sutherland is the head producer of the series.

Mmm, point taken, they're all action figure size. You could always give her her own niche somewhere...

CHEERS!

Mmm, point taken, they're all action figure size.
    LOL, that would be because they're all 1/6 action figures! Well except for the Joker with coat on the top, he's DCD so more like 1/5.5 scale.
    Finally got one set of feathers done, I had to re-drill everything to a larger size for the screws I used and then glue them in place for security; I also had to cut and drill some feathers to fit but it was easier than I'd thought. Now I really need those German parts! I'm sure it's our international sorting office that sucks, got stuff from other countries taking ages too.
    Oh yeah, nearly forgot, one feather part has a super bright glow in the dark insert that I'll keep, not film accurate but looks cool as there's one on either side; running lights perhaps? Or Repulsor technology? I wonder if I could use this type of material or in paint form for my HT Iron Man repulsors instead of stupid batteries? They must do a more white bluish version...

Still got these feathers to do..

Last edited by shovelchop81; 11-04-2017 at 12:18.

One down...

Depending on what comes out, I may get more Kotobukiya stuff. I do like their Star-Lord.

CHEERS!

Working on the other wing now...

Finished...
    Last edited by shovelchop81; 11-04-2017 at 15:25.

One wing with the now articulated (but can't be shown yet as they're not properly attached to the wing struts yet since I still need to work out where all the ratchets for the actual wing struts need to be and cut, install them etc..) Feathers placed in a strut and seen from front and back with spacing undecided yet.

Er... used the wrong orange wing piece here as it's actually the back of the wings being shown..

That girder, or whatever it is, needs to be curved the same as the plastic bit of the wing. Looks like something you might find in an abattoir at the moment.

I'm sure you'll figure it out

CHEERS!

Took me a while to work out what the hell you were going on about! I know what you mean from those pics but trust me it'll look fine when done, the wings from the movie are very geometric, they're full of straight lines so if anything mine look too biomechanical; don't forget there will be steel square tubing on the plastic orange bits as well, each wing will end up being V shaped so a W with the pilot in the middle, hard to explain, there'll be a lot of articulation to change the shapes of the wings too.

These pics should help make more sense of what I'm doing, I took them to show where the large ratchet joints are going and in which direction for articulation, I missed a feather part but corrected for it after. Bloody crappy robot spot welding is so far apart a piece of the steel tubing fell in half whilst being cut down to length, had to cut down ratchet arms and feather connectors/ratchets to allow enough room for them to overlap so used green stuff and plenty of superglue as well to fill in gaps and hold everything together; it's curing now.

Bloody cheap welds!

I sort of get where you're going. I guess it's one of those that will make more sense the further into it you get.

CHEERS!

I hope so as I've now confounded myself! Do I angle the wings to be more natural or just go for cool and aggressive? I think cool and aggressive since this is meant to be from Chitauri technology and their stuff is very H. R. Geiger inspired with their machines being very biomechanical. BTW, the explanation of technology in SMHC is terrible!! SM's suit does everything just because...The Vulture's wings exist just because... Basically they think all they have to say is "Tony Stark and Aliens" then it all makes perfect sense lol!

Getting the key structural parts together at least for one side so the fun parts aren't far away (attaching and playing with the feathers), the glue needs to set then I need to add a bit more green stuff for rigidity on the flapping hinge first though, oh and another hinge. I found a cool place for the latest bionicle feather cluster parts, they now fill in the gap on the most outer feather and as a bonus I worked out a way to cut and attach them so they are articulated too for more posability.

I'm going for a close together feather formation so no gaps until I spread them out for posing.

Ambitious project - and in good hands. Great to see your ingenuity and precision at work. Fun project to watch develop - cannot wait to see the latest updates.

Godspeed my friend
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

I think you need to have a full wing shape laid out on paper so you can place parts over it so you at least have something to guide you.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Eaton Flipflop View Post
    Ambitious project - and in good hands. Great to see your ingenuity and precision at work. Fun project to watch develop - cannot wait to see the latest updates.

Godspeed my friend
    Thanks Eaton! Haven't seen you on a thread in yonks, cheers for dropping by and the encouraging words!

Here's a pic of the feathers applied to one wing, well part of one wing and spread out, I've thinking for a while now about attaching some simple light weight card or innertube rubber to the backs of the feathers to fill them out more and remove the skeletal look whilst still keeping all the detail, if I cut some long trapezoids out of light black packaging plastic like food trays from Tescos and attach them to the back that should work; rubber might be too heavy... maybe add carbon fibre 3D vinyl adhesive to the plastic back "plates" as well for aesthetic purposes.

I think you need to have a full wing shape laid out on paper so you can place parts over it so you at least have something to guide you.

CHEERS!
    Did as much planing as I'm going to, more than usual ! It's got a life of it's own now just like in the movie, they never bloody explained that either!

Oh well, I'll see what emerges..

CHEERS!

PS: (HT Prisoner Harley is REALLY tempting me, must.... resi.....

I haven't got any of the SS characters, enjoyed the movie I'm just too invested in my Star Wars and Iron Man/ Marvel and LOTR collections right now.
    Been playing with the wing to see what it can do pose wise, I'll cut off the extra metal at the end which is actually filled in by the end feather having that long arc to it; just enjoying the mechanics of it right now as it's quite versatile and I haven't even played with the rotation joints yet, not to mention it's not nearly finished either!

Light black plastic I've collected over the years to make the backs of the feathers from and a set of electric turbines with flashing purple LEDs that I might incorporate if I can get them to work, motors might be buggered..

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Fun Playing W/ Part Of A Giant Wing!

I do sort of get where you're going. This was more what I would have had in mind for a wing design:

An idea for parts would be a job lot of plastic knives, I'm sure some catering wholesaler or somesuch would have some. The blades would be ideal for feathers and the handles could maybe be used for other wing parts.

Just a thought...

CHEERS!
    Last edited by rogerbee; 11-07-2017 at 06:50.

I'm glad you removed the smoked kippers remark and decided to be more constructively critical! You've been a bit negative through out this build tbh, everything okay with you?
    Anyway point taken and I do value your input. Like I said these aren't finished!! Think of it as the bare bones of the wings, ie: the mechanical substructure that has to work correctly before I add any "skin" as if it doesn't articulate properly I might as well have just gone the Hasbro route and made the wings solid blocks. I've been cutting up light weight plastic food trays trying to accumulate enough "skin" or vanes as they're actually called on real birds.

Got a blinding headache right now so will need a rest/break but these pieces that haven't been cut to shape (I'll taper them) and are just draped over the spines should give you an idea of the direction I'm going in, they will be screwed in place ideally. I still have some more trays to cut and more plastic to choose from.

I'm fine,

I can see where you're going, sort of. This is one of those builds where I've had trouble making sense of it all. All those Bionicle bits don't look workable to me. What would would be feathers made from both plastic knife blades and bits of those plastic trays. The diagram of that bird wing should be what you should go for. You're building a Vulture, so a tech version of its wings would look ace and I don't think what you've currently got is what you need for that.

CHEERS!

I found this that I think might work well for the wings

Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Started Painting Too..-avatar-scorpion-helicopter-model-collection-model-alloy-airplane-model-toy-vehicles-diecasts-air-jpg

Still needs some kind of wing. I think the Bionicle parts could form the leading edges and plastic tray parts maybe some of the rest.

This but more hi tech:

CHEERS!

Cheers for the input guys, I actually have the full size Avatar Scorpion attack chopper that now goes for $170 on Amazon and the GI Joe Sigma 6 Dragonhawk attack chopper too that goes for a bomb nowadays, I would NEVER sacrifice either for the sake of a build! Although it did cross my mind to use Dragonhawk turbines...

Mine has been all painted up though with detailing and weathering unlike this one:

I'm just going to carry on doing what I'm doing as I'm making an evil vulture whose wings were derived from a race of alien technology that is biomechanical and good old Geiger creepy looking even if that's not what the film gave us, I'm not making pretty smooth symmetrical wings made from terrorist proof airline cutlery as that shouts "good guy" to me such as an angel, this guy is definitely more demonic in my version of him, even if the movie character's depth was shallow as hell (angry girlfriend's dad who's pissed off with the government for stepping on his business in that good old fashioned American capitalist way even though he's portrayed as a blue collar guy).