Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Started Painting Too..

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Parts Arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    It's looking good! One thing I liked in the movie design was the use of real life, more realistic aviator touches like the fur-lined bomber jacket and the pilot helmet being combined with the crazy high tech wings. In the movie that "real world pilot feel" probably gets swamped by all the transformery wings stuff, but on a good static 1/6 figure (like yours is and Hasbro's isn't) it's gonna make a really nice visual contrast. Since they're in the same universe, you think maybe MCU Vulture ever sees MCU Falcon flying by, and has to think, hmmm maybe I've overcomplicated this...
    I love the pilot gear too that's what makes the character work for me, they probably should have had a flash back scene to him being a pilot of some sort, maybe in Vietnam or later he flew an AC Thunderbolt/Warthog or something similar, I think an F15 or any fighter might be too "white collar" for his character as head of a small scrap/salvage company, not sure where the NCO and CO line is drawn as far as pilots in the US Air Force but I see him as an NCO.
    I had a brainwave about half an hour ago or a "captain obvious" moment, my feathers are backwards size wise! . They should have the longest ones at the tips of the wings not the shortest! Not only is that the correct way in nature and in the film (I think) but will work/look far better with my stepped cut glider wing mods to be done next as shown below.

Green areas will be cut away on both wings:

How most basic parts will be installed (the rotors will be on pivots and separate moving armatures):

Initial main body cuts to be followed by more then detail parts added later:

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Coming along now.

CHEERS!

In light of the new design I've rearranged all the feathers (I still want more to make the wings longer and some sort of plate armour pieces too but will have to wait until Wednesday for that) to fit in with the way the wings will be cut and how it should look correctly from an avian's physiology. I've done the main cuts on the back pack but will also shorten the "tail" and probably the wing armatures depending on how much is needed. I also added the manipulators he has at the "shoulders" of the wings.

I must have the eyes of an eagle as I didn't measure anything when doing both set ups (wing cut lines and feather/rotor pining to the Styrofoam) yet they match exactly!

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Chopping & Reshuffling.

Looking good!

CHEERS!

Man, please...

The skill and talent you throw at your projects is just pissing me off. I struggle to get a damn shirt on right.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Coming along now.

CHEERS!
    Looking good!

CHEERS!
    Thanks Roger!

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Man, please...

The skill and talent you throw at your projects is just pissing me off. I struggle to get a damn shirt on right.
    LOL, this probably isn't any harder at the moment than putting a shirt on, in fact all those buttons drive me nuts which is why I don't own any shirts! The project's just a game of Tetras right now .

Now that War Machine is all done and posted I've had time to do some more work on this guy. I chopped the glider wings down, the VTOL rotor holes still need to be dremeled out properly but it's 3am and the neighbours wouldn't be too happy! I discovered that the smaller ratchet joints can be combined to make universal ratchet joints which is brilliant for added articulation, I'll cut off each end to use the combined articulation on each feather/blade by attaching one type of adapter to the wing superstructure and the other to the feather with the connector in between. The other 6 heavy duty ratchet joints arrived today so I've shown where I plan to use them for folds in the wings. I'm also going to use the Hasbro Repulsor Iron Man figure's lower legs as the base for the armour as I had initially intended, the rest of the IM figure is going to be part of a "suit under construction" version like the one HT sells. The bullet proof leg armour will be used on a Jack Bauer (24) figure inspired by that amazing scene in ep22s08 where he is clad head to foot in bullet proof armour and does his Punisher impression to get to ex-President Charles Logan. I've also sorted out parts to be used for his mechanical talons. Done lots of ebay surfing to find more feather parts etc.. just hope they're still there on Wednesday.

Just imagine the Styrofoam cut down the middle and each half pushed out a bit either side so it all lines up..

This...

Will become this one day...

And the riot leg armour for this guy!

Last edited by shovelchop81; 10-22-2017 at 07:31.

Re: Vulture From Spider-Man Homecoming WIP Wings Cut Down & Leg Armour.

Right, so I need the wings to be longer and stronger but still light; just as well they throw away perfectly good aluminium parts on my street then! . I've got an old TV aerial made of super light aluminium to use parts from as feathers and/or the main wing structure to be attached to the plastic glider wings and an aluminium reading light that I can use it's aluminium armatures as wing superstructures too. Done a lot of Dremelling today, cut up the ratchet connectors and cut out the circles for the rotors on the wings, not perfect yet as I'll need to go over the edges with a large domed file later, knackered now, going for a nap!

It's at these points where you think 'What am I doing!?' but then you persevere and it all comes together, as you proved with War Machine.

CHEERS!
    Last edited by rogerbee; 10-22-2017 at 12:32.

So appreciate the WIP. Its so kewl to see the creative process in action..the pieces laid out--the potential revealed..this project is obvious a labor and 'm really forward to seeing the final product...
    -----------------------------------------
    "It's not how many times you get knocked down that counts,
    it's how many times you get back up."

It's at these points where you think 'What am I doing!?' but then you persevere and it all comes together, as you proved with War Machine.

CHEERS!
    Lol, no it's more like I know what I'm doing but I'm going to be doing a hell of a lot of it!! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by CineChild View Post
    So appreciate the WIP. Its so kewl to see the creative process in action..the pieces laid out--the potential revealed..this project is obvious a labor and 'm really forward to seeing the final product...
    Thanks CC! Helps me think too, for example I now know my next cheque is going towards a lot of Lego parts! . I need more feathers and more ratchets for them...

It's great that you have that mindset.

CHEERS!

It's great that you have that mindset.

CHEERS!
    I'll just thank my tranquilisers for patience! Got so many ratchet parts to hand file after dremelling it seems never ending and not exactly the most exciting parts of the build, Then I need to order even more and do it all over again!

Dremell, Clean up, then hand file all the edges.. ones on left finished but still got that baggie of them to do the last pass on i.e. file:

Got bored of filing plastic so hunted for nuts, bolts and washers to tighten up the heavy joints since the wing will be longer than initially planned, seems to work quite well fingers crossed. I also split, spread and cut the aluminium tubing to be able to clamp over the plastic of the glider wings and fit the beefed up heavy duty ratchets as well. You can see I'm trying to keep the new wing extensions as light as possible.

People often hunt their nuts when they get bored! I must remember to take back my Dremel sometime, my Dad never used it. I lost the standard chuck so you can only use the flexi-shaft (ooerr).

CHEERS!

Innuendo city there! You can buy replacement chucks on ebay and fully adjustable real Dremell ones for 7.99, don't buy the cheap copies as their threads don't match.

I don't actually need the chuck, I'm better off using the shaft as I have a stand for the Dremel itself. It's much more controllable.

CHEERS!

Holy moly this is a fun one. Lovin' the progress so far man!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Lol, no it's more like I know what I'm doing but I'm going to be doing a hell of a lot of it!! Cheers!
    You claim there's a plan, but it looks like you're just winging it...
    Ok, couldn't resist, sorry about that. Starting to come together, looking good.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

I don't actually need the chuck, I'm better off using the shaft as I have a stand for the Dremel itself. It's much more controllable.

CHEERS!
    That's what I use too but the stand got turned into this custom 4.5mm Steel BB blow back co2 Punisher pistol replica a few years back (below). Are you sure your shaft cable doesn't connect to the original chuck under the collar? Mine does.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle Munkey View Post
    Holy moly this is a fun one. Lovin' the progress so far man!
    Cheers PM!

You claim there's a plan, but it looks like you're just winging it...
    Ok, couldn't resist, sorry about that. Starting to come together, looking good.
    Yes it's all very "up in the air" or not as the case may be...

I can't remember, it's been 20 years since I last saw it.

CHEERS!

I'm off-topic in this thread, obviously, but that Punisher pistol is awesomeness!
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

I'm off-topic in this thread, obviously, but that Punisher pistol is awesomeness!
    Not at all, I posted the pics! Building air/gas guns is another passion of mine so thank you very much!

Decided to cut out a panel of the square tubular "aluminium" as it will look a lot better than the circular tubing for these wings' design, turns out the square tubes are bloody steel and a bitch to cut through!! Not sure whether they're some sort of chromoly but the hacksaw just skated off them, the grinding wheels on my 1100w drill had chunks taken out of them so I had to finish using the Dremell directly (I took the extension off, turns out you just transfer the chuck from the extension with the insert clamp to the main drive shaft Roger, it was my Kinzo that had/needed two chucks) but went through a couple of fibre reinforced disks that ground all the way down; just hope I didn't over heat it too much! I also painted up the chainsaws and did all the weathering for my "Tin Man" Iron Man conversion figure while I waited for stuff to cool down in between cutting, I gave the "Striker" accessories to crowd control Orange "Red" Snapper figure as his little arms looked silly to me and this way I can get the Green Striker "Gamma" version and not make it look like just a repaint in my collection.

Tin Man before:

After:

Gamma:

I just found this thread, and you are full on at your heretical, chaotic best here. Atop that, you offered this tidbit, which I saw only seconds after I had swallowed my Mountain Dew, otherwise I would be cleaning it off my laptop right now -
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81
    ...just need to finish wiring the electrics as I blew the last lot up trying to use the mains power supply and getting the amps wrong...
    - that brought back so many times I have heard issues explained by various electricians. Best laugh of the day...no, the week!
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    I just found this thread, and you are full on at your heretical, chaotic best here. Atop that, you offered this tidbit, which I saw only seconds after I had swallowed my Mountain Dew, otherwise I would be cleaning it off my laptop right now -
    - that brought back so many times I have heard issues explained by various electricians. Best laugh of the day...no, the week!
    A chaotic heretic... sounds just about spot on! Glad you didn't ruin your laptop!

Right just finished...maybe...not sure...bought lots of Lego anyway, might need/want more; the only guy who has what I really want and only 2 at that, typically is on holiday for the next week and won't let me buy anything. I had to go through everything I had to find the "odd ones out" feather and claw wise so I could then cross check them with all the bulk lot Bionicles sales on ebay to get the best out of my cash and not end up with uneven numbers of parts as the wings need to be symmetrical. I ended up basically playing the old "memory Game" (not helped by the F***ing builders!!), saved pics and used the "paint" tool to cross off parts as I found corresponding/matching parts from either what I have left over or from other bulk lot sales, got a bit complicated but I did limit searches to "UK only" which helped; this is what I've got coming:

x2 i.e. 4 altogether:

+
    x4

+
    10 in total below:

+
    20 in total:

+
    x12 in total:

Bulk lots that complement each other and pair up single parts I have left over:

x4 large (for lego that is) wing pieces as feathers too:

Well just got to wait for delivery now, at least it's all in the UK!

Looks useful.

I've decided to put hobby stuff on hold till I'm set up. It's easier to transport kits than it is finished pieces, they end up, well, in pieces. When the kits are rare like the Creature you can't afford to lose or break anything.

I'll be back in the saddle when I find a stable.

CHEERS!

Looks useful.

I've decided to put hobby stuff on hold till I'm set up. It's easier to transport kits than it is finished pieces, they end up, well, in pieces. When the kits are rare like the Creature you can't afford to lose or break anything.

I'll be back in the saddle when I find a stable.

CHEERS!
    Well useful yes, I would have trouble finishing my build without them! New gun, why I was skint! You saw this on FB Roger..

Used in Stargate Atlantis a lot and SG1 too... except they have the Bundeswehr G36C version with dual optic sight system (not sold outside the German Future Soldier Program or IDZ except if you're in the Pegasus Galaxy apparently..) and mine is the export DMR/sniper version G36E/K/V derivative.. adding an IDZ stock though..

Cool looking gun. Being skint isn't something I can really complain about now.

CHEERS!