Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Comparison: Crazy Toys Kylo Ren vs Disney Store Elite Premium Kylo Ren

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

Comparison: Crazy Toys Kylo Ren vs Disney Store Elite Premium Kylo Ren

The boxes:
    IMG_2188 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

IMG_2189 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

IMG_2190 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Out of the box. DS left, CT right (Disney Store Kylo's extra hands not pictured):

IMG_2191 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

The Crazy toys one:

IMG_2192 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

The lightsabers. Disney Store top and middle, Crazy Toys bottom. (note that the Disney store one is bent but the other ones I got are not, the bent one was the one I had to hand. Do check before buying to make sure you get one with a straight saber as some can get bent by the packaging)

IMG_2193 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Hands: DS left, CT right

IMG_2194 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Helmets: DS left, CT right.

IMG_2195 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

IMG_2196 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Fabric: DS left, CT right.

IMG_2197 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Boots: DS left, CT right. "Superman" boots again on the CT

IMG_2198 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Helmets off of the bodies: DS left, CT right:

IMG_2200 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

IMG_2201 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

And a comparison with other low budget options, from left: Disney Store (Elite Premium), Crazy Toys, Disney Store (electronic 14 inch), Hasbro Black Series Titanium die cast helmet.

IMG_2202 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

IMG_2203 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Re: Comparison: Crazy Toys Kylo Ren vs Disney Store Elite Premium Kylo Ren

The Crazy Toys Kylo has a well made outfit with good materials and the saber is nice. The helmet is not the best (the Hasbro Black Series Titanium one is best imo) but the hands are great.
    The one I received had the inner tunic on the wrong way (no split at the front in the picture as it is backwards) and one leg was hanging off. Luckily the leg just needed to be pushed back into the socket (not broken).

Obviously the biggest drawback on the Crazy Toys one is the 'Superman' boots choice. You will need to find/make some kylo boots to replace them and you will need a bigger body of course.

I think that mixing the Hasbro helmet with parts from the Disney Store Kylo and the Crazy Toys Kylo all placed on to a taller body with boots will be the recipe for an ideal low budget Kylo Ren, with enough leftover parts to bash a second one for the kids.

Thank you so much for the review
    really appreciate it

That Disney Store one hasn't been available for some time but they've got this different version: Kylo Ren and Rey Star Wars Elite Series Action Figure Set - Limited Edition | shopDisney with some changes (most notably, Kylo Ren now unmasks). The price has actually gone up insofar as it costs $79.95 for Ren and Rey together. It's now a "Limited Edition" of 1000, which is generally understood to mean that the line wasn't selling, and they're dumping the left-over product that didn't sell despite discounts and clearance. So the left-overs are apparently being re-worked and repackaged into Combo Sets, only 1000 available presumably because that's the left-over stock they have. They now include a "Certificate of Authenticity," wow! A Jyn Erso and Krennic Combo gets the same treatment: Jyn Erso and Director Krennic Star Wars Elite Series Action Figure Set - Limited Edition | shopDisney with some new gear on Jyn.
    Last edited by Moonbase Alpha Male; 10-13-2017 at 08:58.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: I didnt even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    That Disney Store one hasn't been available for some time but they've got this different version: Kylo Ren and Rey Star Wars Elite Series Action Figure Set - Limited Edition | shopDisney with some changes (most notably, Kylo Ren now unmasks). The price has actually gone up insofar as it costs $79.95 for Ren and Rey together. It's now a "Limited Edition" of 1000, which is generally understood to mean that the line wasn't selling, and they're dumping the left-over product that didn't sell despite discounts and clearance. So the left-overs are apparently being re-worked and repackaged into Combo Sets, only 1000 available presumably because that's the left-over stock they have. They now include a "Certificate of Authenticity," wow! A Jyn Erso and Krennic Combo gets the same treatment: Jyn Erso and Director Krennic Star Wars Elite Series Action Figure Set - Limited Edition | shopDisney with some new gear on Jyn.
    These were exclusives for D23. There was also a Leia/Vader set with Leia in her Hoth outfit. There was a scalper outside SDCC trying to sell the Leia/Vader set for $160...

These aren't an attempt to flog off excess stock but rather variants for an event exclusive (like a Hot Toys Iron Man repaint, same concept).

Quote Originally Posted by betic1 View Post
    Thank you so much for the review
    really appreciate it
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    These were exclusives for D23. There was also a Leia/Vader set with Leia in her Hoth outfit. There was a scalper outside SDCC trying to sell the Leia/Vader set for $160...

These aren't an attempt to flog off excess stock but rather variants for an event exclusive (like a Hot Toys Iron Man repaint, same concept).
    My apparent cynicism won't struggle against your perhaps overly generous attitude towards Disney The original figures are all gone from the Disney store/site after having plummeted through constant discounts and clearance. I remember seeing at one point, shelves of the figures down to $6 and still not selling. Afterwards they offer so-called "Limited Edition" combos of only 1000 units available, with only very minor additions, and make a big deal of a "Certificate of Authenticity" and "Elite." If that's not flogging excess stock, it sure looks a lot like like it. The Elite Combos are the only version of these figures being sold on the Disney Store currently. I don't see that it makes much difference if they flogged them at D23 first, it's still flogging off the excess stock, and nothing to my mind like a genuine event exclusive. Especially given that (sadly) they couldn't move the virtually identical items from store shelves even at less than 1/4 original price.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: I didnt even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.

My apparent cynicism won't struggle against your perhaps overly generous attitude towards Disney The original figures are all gone from the Disney store/site after having plummeted through constant discounts and clearance. I remember seeing at one point, shelves of the figures down to $6 and still not selling. Afterwards they offer so-called "Limited Edition" combos of only 1000 units available, with only very minor additions, and make a big deal of a "Certificate of Authenticity" and "Elite." If that's not flogging excess stock, it sure looks a lot like like it. The Elite Combos are the only version of these figures being sold on the Disney Store currently. I don't see that it makes much difference if they flogged them at D23 first, it's still flogging off the excess stock, and nothing to my mind like a genuine event exclusive. Especially given that (sadly) they couldn't move the virtually identical items from store shelves even at less than 1/4 original price.
    You are welcome to your cynicism, and you may be right, but I think the two packs were in development before the reductions started so I will agree to disagree on this one As for my original post, it is helpful for those wondering if the Crazy Toys Kylo is any better than the Disney Store one, particularly since given the recent clearance most folk should have one or more by now. The Disney Store figures are great for what they are and can be upgraded easily, so I do hope the line continues.

You are welcome to your cynicism, and you may be right, but I think the two packs were in development before the reductions started so I will agree to disagree on this one As for my original post, it is helpful for those wondering if the Crazy Toys Kylo is any better than the Disney Store one, particularly since given the recent clearance most folk should have one or more by now. The Disney Store figures are great for what they are and can be upgraded easily, so I do hope the line continues.
    Yeah, I'll agree to disagree on that "event exclusive vs flogging leftovers" (if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck...) but sorry, I was remiss in not thanking you for a useful, well written, well photographed review. I suspect the ship has sailed about this line continuing, where all the existing ones are gone from both the store and the site. But I'd be most happy to be proven wrong, and maybe the new film will be the impetus for a resurgence. In a perfect world they might be letting the "old" line branding expire only to start fresh with one that's just as good, but actually 12" based -- but that may be too much to hope for.

In a perfect world they might be letting the "old" line branding expire only to start fresh with one that's just as good, but actually 12" based -- but that may be too much to hope for.
    One can hope... They have the ability to make great product, they just need to tweak a couple small things to be amazing

One can hope... They have the ability to make great product, they just need to tweak a couple small things to be amazing
    Yeah, fully agreed. Plus, and I know I repeat this like a broken record, but I think it's crucially important to get some child-friendly and child-affordable 1/6 mass retail figures into the young hands of the new generation, or there's going to be no one buying Hot Toys etc in 10 - 20 years. Disney Store's SW and Marvel lines certainly tried to fit that niche.

Although I won't be collecting any Kylo Ren, I appreciate the detailed picture review. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    Although I won't be collecting any Kylo Ren, I appreciate the detailed picture review. Cheers!
    thanks! you are welcome