Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Florida
    Posts
    11,943

    What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    See subject.

    Weve all seen 1:6 brand loyalty play out in the 1:6 hobby over years bad, good, and indifferent.

    The 1:6 hobby changed/evolved bad, good, and indifferent over the past five years.

    In looking back now compared to prior years, what is the rationale for ongoing 1:6 brand loyalty?

    Weve seen competition/loyalty over the years with many brands.

    DAM Vs. SOLDIER STORY for example?

    HOT TOYS (This one is a separate discussion unto itself.)

    Weve witnessed blind and overzealous 1:6 brand loyalty over the years as well.

    In honestly speaking as collectors where weve all gone through the ups and downs of collecting and preferences within the 1:6 hobby, what is the driving rationale for such 1:6 brand loyalty?

    Considering how costly the 1:6 hobby is and this is the stark fact and reality, I cannot be dismissive or overlook any shortcomings with design and quality in the final offering of whatever is produced. There is a very fine line with regards to being say a bit forgiving and reasonable, but even that too have varying nuances.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    I vote with my Credit Card, and in figures is a case by case, I really like and then dislike certain figures from manufacturers, I believe that I bought from all of them....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    302

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    I don't have any brand loyalty. I favor smaller, unlicensed run to save money and because I know it pisses Hot Toys and other major brands. I'm a mercenary...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Eastbourne UK
    Posts
    254

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    I think that brand loyalty is a fascinating and tricky subject to tackle, and that different strongly held opinions on a brand will always cause conflict.

    I think that what we ourselves do in terms of buying figures is not so important here. I myself collect figures from all sorts of manufacturers, but I am very aware that for some the pleasure is in collecting a whole line of figures from the same brand or manufacturer. Both are in my opinion valid ways of enjoying this hobby.

    I think that "brand bashing" has a big part to play in this too. I often see a brand being criticised rather than a particular product, or it starts with a product and expands to the brand more generally. I think that some then become defensive of the brand as they have a lot invested either in terms of the number of figures they have from that brand, or maybe from having invested emotionally in the idea of collecting that brand. Once the arguments have begun they will very soon polarise. Brand loyalists can seem very entrenched and unreasonable, but I bet that is just how they see the people they argue with too.

    One way to minimise this is not to criticise a brand in general (unless being negative about that brand is your intent of course) but to focus on a particular figure and its attributes.

    Written language and how we use it plays a huge part in this hobby, as this is how most of us communicate with one another. When we use sweeping statements that seem to imply that an entire brand and not just a figure is bad, or we make statements about a figure but address the faults to the brand generally ie. ("X brand always does this with their figures"), then it is bound to inflame the emotions of anyone who does have an investment in that brand for whatever reason. What they are likely to hear is "all your figures are bad" or "you are wrong for collecting this brand". More accurate use of language may not stop this from happening (particularly if you have a previous history with the person you are communicating with) but it may, and it might just keep the heat of the situation at a more manageable level. Simply thinking "how will what I am writing be perceived" can help a lot, but sadly seems by some to have been abandoned these days in favour of simply not thinking about others.

    Of course ideally both sides in any dispute would try to act more like this, but realistically that is not going to happen all of the time. Does that mean that we should abandon this idea ourselves and just get stuck into the argument, well thats for you to decide.

    Just my thoughts

    Paul

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    minneapolis
    Posts
    62

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Some times, the "brand loyalty" is more like gratitude for bringing out a certain figure--QMX and their TOS Star Trek figures, for example. My expression of that brand loyalty or whatever you want to call it is my buying habits. I'm not too tied to one brand, my buying decisions are more driven by the subject matter. I don't have any Hot Toys figures, not because I don't like Hot Toys, but because I haven't been as interested in the subjects. When I was buying more WWII figures, there was a lot more to choose from, with no licensing to deal with, more than one company could produce virtually the same figure. So it was somewhat based on features and accuracy.

    Another component, kind of related to brands, is the price. As the price (and quality) of figures has gone up, I find I'm a little more discriminating--but there's still the occasional impulse buy. Those more often than not result in some buyer's remorse.

    I'm not too likely to criticize the maker of a figure unless I have one and it's some really egregious fault. So far that's not been the case for me. The closest I've gotten to criticizing a figure online is for the staining issues with QMX's Picard figure. But I held back--maybe that's my brand loyalty coming out.

    Tom

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Calgary, where you at?
    Posts
    13,326

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    I buy what interests me, and not by brand. I have had dodgy products from pretty much every brand I have bought, so I am very picky about what I buy and spend on now. The days of being loyal to one brand are long gone because none of them make a product that has consistently good QC, subject, or even accuracy(if that concerns you or not). And prices across the board have dictated that we be a lot more discerning with our cash, instead of just throwing it at whatever brand or subject that we like willy nilly. Very few people have the luxury of being loyal to one, or a few limited brands.

    And since there is a lot of product, genres and manufacturers out there, it's even more tough to say you only like one brand over another.

    If I was asked this question 5 or 6 years ago, I might have said I was more loyal to a certain brand over others. But not now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Anglia, UK
    Posts
    21,680

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    I try to keep out of it as much as I can these days, I mean, some of them are way too loyal and can't take any jokes or criticism of their beloved brand. HT's Harrison Ford saga is one that springs to mind. People crapping on unlicensed stuff which is clearly better than any licensed stuff they seem to adore can get both tedious and hilarious in equal measure.

    CHEERS!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Waist deep in a trout stream
    Posts
    742

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    The only one I will never buy from again is Side Show they pulled a fast one on me early in their Star Wars Jedi figure days and I stopped then and will never give them a thin dime again.
    I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,609

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    It happens in reverse too. Someone gets one or two disappointing figures from a company then suddenly everything that company releases must be **** and that person whines in every thread for every new figure that they release. For YEARS. Just as thunderingly ignorant and irritating as blind loyalists.
    One Sixth Celebs
    http://www.famousfigures.com

    V.I.K.I.: Do you not see the logic of my plan?
    Sonny: Yes, but it just seems too.. heartless.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    WI, US
    Posts
    3,257

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    What is the rationale for 1/6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Among the majority of people here, from what Ive seen, there really isnt any brand-specific loyalty. Maybe, its because the majority here are kibashers and customizes, rather than just collectors. The same cant be said for another forum were all aware of. And, from my perspective, a good portion of those loyalists seem to be little more than sheep who follow whatever the latest trend happens to be.

    Sadly, the majority of people on this Little Rock of ours are really pretty stupid, and do whatever the in crowd happens to do or say. Its really not all that complicated why fools with disposable income would feel the need to buy every single figure from any one specific company.

    If I had millions of dollars and a crap-load of space, maybe Id be that stupid, too. As it is, however...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Democratic Peoples Republic of England
    Posts
    4,141

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    I am not brand loyal at all, but any brand that has delivered what I want at good quality earns my trust. 1000toys has had hit after hit for me but their last release, Duke, disappointed me (floppy waist joint, baggy clothes, oversized grips on weapons, no removable mags etc etc) so if their future releases follow suit then I will move on. however, one not so great product out of dozens of great ones is probably a fluke, so I will give them another chance.

    Threezero is another example of a brand that I own a few products from and for the most part I am happy. The Commander Shepard was not amazing but still nice enough while the Titanfall pilot, Killzone trooper and Dead Space Isaac Clarke were all really good. Their Legion figure however was disappointing to say the least. I have skipped a few of their figures due to concerns about quality (the Robocop 1.0 and 3.0 for example) but if I spot them cheap enough I will probably get them.

    I crap on HT a lot and their rubberised figures should be something you steer clear of, but when it comes to Iron Man or Predator they are the best in town. If however, someone else offers better or equal product at lower prices I will move to them.


    Lacking brand loyalty is the only way to collect effectively really (if you want a good varied collection), but I think most loyalists are collecting purely for investment or prestige in which case the loyalty will only last for as long as the brand is popular...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Democratic Peoples Republic of England
    Posts
    4,141

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieKev View Post
    It happens in reverse too. Someone gets one or two disappointing figures from a company then suddenly everything that company releases must be **** and that person whines in every thread for every new figure that they release. For YEARS. Just as thunderingly ignorant and irritating as blind loyalists.
    Yes, this.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    302

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieKev View Post
    It happens in reverse too. Someone gets one or two disappointing figures from a company then suddenly everything that company releases must be **** and that person whines in every thread for every new figure that they release. For YEARS. Just as thunderingly ignorant and irritating as blind loyalists.
    True,

    But you have to admit Sideshow has been pretty consistent in offering shitty, overpriced products and they seem to have found two heirs: BCS and Star Ace.

    You can offer less than perfect products. I don't have OCD. I consider toys don't have to be perfect, just an okay rendition of something (the way this whole hobby started when things were still almost like garage kits), but if you don't offer perfection that matches the current prices, then you can't blame the customers if there is a backlash.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    81

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Well, I just evaluate all the time. I know DAM and Soldier Story provide the best Mint In Box for what I collect. However, when sth nice is released and has reasonable quality or a unique subject, I go for it. E&S and DID are usually not on my list, but I got the E&S SCO19 and the DID SWAT Driver.

    Loyalty to companies in my opinion is counter productive. There were some SDUs released from DAM and Soldier Story and I got both SS figures. Not because of the brand, but because SS provided better variety and more detail.

    In the end I appreciate more good stuff from several companies. It is better for variety, competition and keeps the hobby alive!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,012

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    For me my non military, media based figures... well, I'm loyal to QMx because they are the only ones doing Trek figures, for example.
    When I bought military figures (before kitbashing only) there was no loyalty involved, although I thought DiD were superior to Dragon.
    Horses for courses I suppose.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    963

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker2011 View Post
    What is the rationale for 1/6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Among the majority of people here, from what Ive seen, there really isnt any brand-specific loyalty. Maybe, its because the majority here are kibashers and customizes, rather than just collectors. The same cant be said for another forum were all aware of. And, from my perspective, a good portion of those loyalists seem to be little more than sheep who follow whatever the latest trend happens to be.

    Sadly, the majority of people on this Little Rock of ours are really pretty stupid, and do whatever the in crowd happens to do or say. Its really not all that complicated why fools with disposable income would feel the need to buy every single figure from any one specific company.

    If I had millions of dollars and a crap-load of space, maybe Id be that stupid, too. As it is, however...
    I relate to this theory. Most follow trends because that's all they've ever known and done in every area of their lives. They need to follow a crowd (to understand and develop their identify) and own whatever the crowd owns, and think and say what the crowd tells them to. Thank God (or?!?!) for kit-bashing. IMHO, custom work helps any collector avoid becoming a brand loyalists/brand extremists. And in most ways, it's fine until the worshipped brands become monopolies that hurt 1/6 scale offerings from other less popular companies.
    "Be sad! Be glad! Be neither! Seek, or shun!
    Thou hast no reason why! Thou canst have none;
    Thy being's being is a contradiction." S.T. Coleridge

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Fredonia AZ,extreme northern AZ
    Posts
    570

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    I don't care who builds a figure,if it has a realistic face and the price isn't too crazy I will buy it,but I'm a kit basher not a collector that buys a finished product so all I really need is a good face!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,609

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolfandcub View Post
    True,

    But you have to admit Sideshow has been pretty consistent in offering shitty, overpriced products and they seem to have found two heirs: BCS and Star Ace.

    You can offer less than perfect products. I don't have OCD. I consider toys don't have to be perfect, just an okay rendition of something (the way this whole hobby started when things were still almost like garage kits), but if you don't offer perfection that matches the current prices, then you can't blame the customers if there is a backlash.
    Sure, if a company offers a crappy product, then they need to be called out on it. No disagreements there. My issue is more pointless, unfounded, and endless putdowns about a future figure for no reason other than because a figure made 5 years ago was horrible. Even Sideshow make nice figures once in a while. I try to judge a figure for what it is, not what I feel about the company.

    I also think bad quality and bad value are 2 different issues, but that's a whole other discussion.
    One Sixth Celebs
    http://www.famousfigures.com

    V.I.K.I.: Do you not see the logic of my plan?
    Sonny: Yes, but it just seems too.. heartless.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,178

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Because my interest covers a wide spectrum of genres (sucks to be me)...I'm not loyal to just one (or a few) brands but more with subject matter or series that interests me (ie: Monster series from Coomodel or the Darkcrown line as an example). There be times though when a $hitty company (*cough*@$$mus*cough*) dishes out a line that I really like (the guy with the ring line and also the recent wolf girl boxset) - I either stay away from it or get only what I really really like and live with their QC issues (and do some mods). It's not ideal but still more cost effective than commissioning a custom.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    963

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Another good question is: What can anyone do about it? When one company exclusively owns several licenses and they're producing the "most realistic faces" on head sculpts are we as bashers going to boycott their product? Maybe. But so far, I still want/buy/use the sculpt with the most realistic face even when I'm disappointed with the company and hate their fanatic fans.
    "Be sad! Be glad! Be neither! Seek, or shun!
    Thou hast no reason why! Thou canst have none;
    Thy being's being is a contradiction." S.T. Coleridge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,858

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Comicsrcoll78 View Post
    Another good question is: What can anyone do about it? When one company exclusively owns several licenses and they're producing the "most realistic faces" on head sculpts are we as bashers going to boycott their product? Maybe. But so far, I still want/buy/use the sculpt with the most realistic face even when I'm disappointed with the company and hate their fanatic fans.
    This is the root of irrationality in this hobby, exclusivity of subject matter. Fortunately it is one of the few where you can buy bits and pieces of what you want and just remove the brand issue out of the equation and focus on well made/appealing product. It is an inherent characteristic of people that they will try to justify or defend what they spend money on. I try to steer clear of the licensed/pop culture stuff as that is just way too toxic these days.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    963

    Re: What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    This is the root of irrationality in this hobby, exclusivity of subject matter. Fortunately it is one of the few where you can buy bits and pieces of what you want and just remove the brand issue out of the equation and focus on well made/appealing product. It is an inherent characteristic of people that they will try to justify or defend what they spend money on. I try to steer clear of the licensed/pop culture stuff as that is just way too toxic these days.
    You're absolutely right. And that would be a great discussion for another thread: How and why have the licensed/pop culture 1/6 scale offerings become so toxic ($$$$$$$$$$$$)? And who is responsible for their toxicity?
    "Be sad! Be glad! Be neither! Seek, or shun!
    Thou hast no reason why! Thou canst have none;
    Thy being's being is a contradiction." S.T. Coleridge

Similar Threads

  1. Product Review | 1/6 RPD (No Brand)
    By General Sam in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-09-2015, 07:21
  2. Does this look brand new?
    By ShadowerV2 in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 19:14
  3. Which brand to go for
    By scrambyjess in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 10:58
  4. Anyone know what brand this is?
    By jignacio_2k in forum Loose Bits (Off Topic)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 11:15
  5. What brand is this guy?
    By Mobois_1 in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-17-2007, 14:28

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?
What is the rationale for 1:6 brand loyalty among collectors?
KGHobby...Click Here!
Urban Samurai Hobbies...Click Here!
Vlad's Toys...Click Here!
BlackOps Toys...Click Here!
HobbyLink Japan...Click Here!
Cotswold Collectibles...Click Here!
The ToySource...Click Here!
Big Bad Toy Store...Click Here!
Timewalker Toys...Click Here!
ToyWiz...Click Here!
Nouveau Toys...Click Here!
The ToySource...Click Here!
BlackOps Toys...Click Here!
HobbyLink Japan...Click Here!