Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe & KB20 Explained..

More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe & KB20 Explained..

Had the money to get one but wanted both, usual scenario! So I bought loose what I could afford/find/didn't want to/couldn't build and now need to fill in the missing bits with stuff from my parts boxes, around the house, on the road etc.. I've started on TFA Luke first as I'm still waiting on Cherrut's shirt with the weaponised/armoured gauntlet.

TFA Luke HT parts:

Rogue One Cherrut HT parts:

Waiting on this shirt:

Stuff I've found to use for and complete Luke with some work/mods, I'll still need to make a leather belt, buckle and pouch:

Stuff found for Chirrut but more searches pending as I'm concentrating on Luke right now:

Work on Luke Started....All the clothing fits this body perfectly, it's from DAM Gangsters Kingdom line, short and bulky enough to be perfect for an old Luke with no need of padding to hinder articulation!

HT mechanical hand reference pics (they want 30 quid just for this hand!!) I'll be using a spare SSC Anakin hand on a 1/6 T800 vinyl model kit forearm and save the Anakin forearm for a Vader bash most likely.

Last edited by shovelchop81; 10-12-2017 at 20:20.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Luke & Cherrut WIP

Looks like the beginning of an epic custom project.

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    Looks like the beginning of an epic custom project.
    Cheers GF! Hopefully not epic at all! LOL, taking a break from more complicated stuff to do some simple bashes and catch up with another building hobby too .
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Mmm, all shaping up well,

Trust you to get a Luke with a wonky eye!

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Mmm, all shaping up well,

Trust you to get a Luke with a wonky eye!

CHEERS!
    That's an official Hot Toys head, they don't do wonky eyes, wearing your glasses Roger?

Two great projects there, and both of to a cracking start. I like the work on Luke's arm so far. More pics as you progress please.

Quote Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
    Two great projects there, and both of to a cracking start. I like the work on Luke's arm so far. More pics as you progress please.
    As you command!

A bit further up his forearm than needed but he has sleeves to cover it and I'd rather give him too much than too little...

Reference pics before I forget....

TFA Luke Skywalker

Rogue One Chirrut Imwe:

After some more digging in parts bags and boxes I found a pair of Hasbro "Farm Boy" Luke boots that look perfect except for the height, not sure whether to make them articulated and risk ugly gaps or not, it's not like he even moved his feet in EPVII. Some belt stuff too as I suck at cutting symmetrical hexagons! Just noticed what the tattoo on the body's chest says: "Pray For My Son" bloody appropriate given Luke's family history! Although Han could have done with the same tat too...

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    That's an official Hot Toys head, they don't do wonky eyes, wearing your glasses Roger?
    Hmm, on looking at your reference pics, that's just how Mark's eyes are. Hadn't noticed that before.

CHEERS!

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

oooooooooh exciting! I am working on more Star Wars too

I can't wait for someone to do a custom Old Luke head, the HT's one is awful, especially considering the price.

Hmm, on looking at your reference pics, that's just how Mark's eyes are. Hadn't noticed that before.

CHEERS!
    Don't complain about Chirrut's eyes, he's blind!

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    oooooooooh exciting! I am working on more Star Wars too
    I'll have to have a look Jaz! Star Wars bashes seem quite popular at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    I can't wait for someone to do a custom Old Luke head, the HT's one is awful, especially considering the price.
    I think awful is a very strong word, can you sculpt a better hs? People are getting spoiled by a couple of recent sculptors knocking the likenesses of Harrison etc.. out of the park then fantastic paint by Eleven and so on, these aren't your typical figure companies and don't have to deal with all kinds of marketing, licensing approvals, the rest of the figure, clothing, accessories, packaging logistics, legal and running a multinational business so they can focus on the hs without any distractions, obstructions or anyone's approval. Is this hs slightly off? Yes, he looks a bit like Jesus, was that intended? No idea but he looks like a very realistic Old Luke Skywalker to me if not an exact rendition of Mark Hamill.

There are plenty of 3rd party Donnie Yen heads around which could be blinded. An Ip Man would work well.

CHEERS!

Okay rant over...

Ironically I'm using the same exact colour palette as on the Wraith figures I'm meant to be taking a break from! Mechanical hand done, feet modded (didn't want to waste a good pair of realistic looking feet under boots) I will need to articulate the boots though as the figure won't stand up properly as is. Just a few quick poses with added magnets to keep his cloak on, the supplied ones aren't strong enough. I* need to mod the boots, make the belt, pouch and I think that's it.
    Chirrut's shirt arrived, super detailed!! Replicating that would be a nightmare in 1/6, glad I bought it instead! The array of textures is amazing too, there's cotton, suede, polyester, foam, rubber, ABS and more just in his shirt that only has one complete sleeve! That's pretty impressive and the embroidery is faultless.

I think awful is a very strong word, can you sculpt a better hs? People are getting spoiled by a couple of recent sculptors knocking the likenesses of Harrison etc.. out of the park then fantastic paint by Eleven and so on, these aren't your typical figure companies and don't have to deal with all kinds of marketing, licensing approvals, the rest of the figure, clothing, accessories, packaging logistics, legal and running a multinational business so they can focus on the hs without any distractions, obstructions or anyone's approval. Is this hs slightly off? Yes, he looks a bit like Jesus, was that intended? No idea but he looks like a very realistic Old Luke Skywalker to me if not an exact rendition of Mark Hamill.
    Whether I can sculpt a better head is neither here nor there, HTs has access to the scans LFL have done on Mark Hamill and therefore should be doing a far better likeness. They can get Chirrut, Young Luke, Old and Young Han and all the Superheroes characters spot on, but they can't even get close with Old Luke....

I think when you're asked to pay 250+ you have the right to expect a better likeness. The prototype was far better than the production head, like I said this is an expensive piece.

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Luke & Chirrut WIP

I think when you're asked to pay 250+ you have the right to expect a better likeness. The prototype was far better than the production head, like I said this is an expensive piece.
    When you put it that way you're right, he's not cheap so should indeed be spot on, I guess I can be more blase about it since I bought it loose from TA for a fair price, his hair is a bit gold too like they did with their old Solo hair too, strange, might need to mod that as well.

There are plenty of 3rd party Donnie Yen heads around which could be blinded. An Ip Man would work well.

CHEERS!
    I nearly did that actually but then remembered my hate/hate relationship with painting eyes...I wouldn't even get a blind guy's eyes right!

Just noticed I need to shorten both of Luke's arms...

When you put it that way you're right, he's not cheap so should indeed be spot on, I guess I can be more blase about it since I bought it loose from TA for a fair price, his hair is a bit gold too like they did with their old Solo hair too, strange, might need to mod that as well.
    I was thinking that, may giving the hair on top volume might improve the look but would the hood sit right?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    I was thinking that, may giving the hair on top volume might improve the look but would the hood sit right?
    It's a pain in the arse to sit right now even with the wire so I don't think it would matter, I think most people will pose theirs with it being pulled back for the "reveal" as that's about all he did in the film!

On a tear with these, and as ever, a treat to see your personal touches to make something instead breaking the bank with boxed figures.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Apart from the arms, which I hadn't noticed, Luke does look rather good. The SSC ROTJ Luke had monkey arms as well.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    On a tear with these, and as ever, a treat to see your personal touches to make something instead breaking the bank with boxed figures.
    Cheers Mike! Works out around 1/2 price including postage so not super cheap but with a bit of work which is the fun part for me you can get two for one. I love problem solving and creating little bits out of scrap, there's something really boring about just taking a figure out of a box and putting it on the shelf, well except for the IM Hulkbuster soon to be released, that'll be more like taking a super highly detailed, gimmick loaded Transformers Metroplex out of the box with days of fun trying to work out what does what etc... Same size too!

Apart from the arms, which I hadn't noticed, Luke does look rather good. The SSC ROTJ Luke had monkey arms as well.

CHEERS!
    Thanks Roger! Yeah I was thinking that too and yet oddly he seems to have quite short arms in real life!

the Luke looks close already! maybe pad out his shoulders a little to make the neck look less long and I think it will be nearly done

I would be lying though if I said I wasn't more interested in seeing the Chirrut bash (I didn't care for Luke's outfit in TFA)

the Luke looks close already! maybe pad out his shoulders a little to make the neck look less long and I think it will be nearly done
    Good idea and well spotted, I missed that, might make the hood fit better too.

I would be lying though if I said I wasn't more interested in seeing the Chirrut bash (I didn't care for Luke's outfit in TFA)
    I was expecting him to be wearing black but then he's supposed to be the good guy! , you don't want to confuse the kiddies... I think it's grown on me especially as it does a bit of a full circle back to "Farm Boy" Luke and Old Ben.

Shortened the arms, making the boots articulated and will add some silver and sepia ink wash to his hair.

Yup, cut myself again...idiot!

I'll have to have a look Jaz! Star Wars bashes seem quite popular at the moment.

I haven't posted the new work yet, still busy working on them. I did however post some images in that thread last night that might be useful to you

I haven't posted the new work yet, still busy working on them. I did however post some images in that thread last night that might be useful to you
    I just looked, a bit late for me, remember these customs I made?

Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.

My Finished Custom SW RO Death Troopers with Director Orson Krennic

Padded out the shoulders and clavicle areas separately for articulation reasons but definitely looks better now (cheers Jaz!), so do the shortened arms. I've glued inner soles to the modded feet for more stability too. Just unboxed my HT 1/6 K2S0, great figure!!

Looking great!! keen to see how you do the boots

Looking great!! keen to see how you do the boots
    So am I!LOL. Might need to make real wraps/putties.

Didn't need to make real wraps not that it would have been any harder just trickier to fit over the boot tops with articulation. If you remember he couldn't even stand up on his own with the Hasbro boots as they were stock but now he can, he can even stand on one leg with no tricks or other support! Also having added ankle articulation allows for more natural and extreme poses. I glued brown pleather inside the boots to help pull the gaps I cit in the sides in together making the top of the boots narrower, I thinned out the material on the boot uppers and putties lowers to allow them to overlap and sanded off the brown paint from the sides of the soles to be more movie accurate. I'd love to know how Hasbro get their paint to cure on rubber like plastics! It's on their really well too so sanding took a while, faster if you put a foot inside first though...