Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456 LastLast

Thread: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe & KB20 Explained..

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Chelsea Boots done

Nice! I just use sand (from outside or in my garden) and collect all the dust and particles from my spraybooth filters for more rocky surfaces and the dust is perfect for moon dust etc.. Also all the coloured shavings collected from dremelling and grinding are useful too. Little bits of wood, tiny rocks and whatever else I find lol.
    Boots painted but no weathering done yet.

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Great job on those boots mate.

I like the detail on the boots. Didn't pay attention to the movie or HT product to see how accurate it is, but the original Stormtrooper-type boot (but black) seems like a very nice touch to me.

Nice cobbling indeed, and a very intriguing search for proper headgear. Nice 1:1 weaponry, as well, and some sneak peaks of Roger's projects. This thread's like a cozy conversation.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Nice! I just use sand (from outside or in my garden) and collect all the dust and particles from my spraybooth filters for more rocky surfaces and the dust is perfect for moon dust etc.. Also all the coloured shavings collected from dremelling and grinding are useful too. Little bits of wood, tiny rocks and whatever else I find lol.
    Boots painted but no weathering done yet.
    Thanks,

Most of what's in my garden is too large for what I needed. The scenics did the job and were cheap.

Those boots look great now.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
    Great job on those boots mate.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    I like the detail on the boots. Didn't pay attention to the movie or HT product to see how accurate it is, but the original Stormtrooper-type boot (but black) seems like a very nice touch to me.
    Cheers! Yes that's what he's wearing, they were fashionable in the UK in the 1970's and came in white unlike most shoes so I guess that's why Lucas used them for ST's.

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    Nice cobbling indeed, and a very intriguing search for proper headgear. Nice 1:1 weaponry, as well, and some sneak peaks of Roger's projects. This thread's like a cozy conversation.
    LOL, yeah the headgear doesn't seem too popular but I'll do my best. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Thanks,

Most of what's in my garden is too large for what I needed. The scenics did the job and were cheap.

Those boots look great now.

CHEERS!
    Thanks! I just went into my tiny flowerbed (sans flowers) and scooped up some earth to weather this guy, been drying it on the heater, mashing it up the drying again etc.. Also been working on the hat-droid who I'm calling KB20 as a Samurai helmet is called a Kabuto

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Cool looking bowcaster!

CHEERS!

Cool looking bowcaster!

CHEERS!
    I know it's why I wanted the figure even before I'd seen the film or knew anything about Chirrut. Got lucky and picked it up from TA for 19bucks, they want 40quid on ebay!!

I just got SSC's email teasing the new Luke from ep8 in Jedi clothing? And Rey as well. Looks like they're just using the same hs for Luke but Rey has newly sculpted hair that looks good,

Rey looks a lot better, I might be tempted to a parts build at some point. Was that bowcaster $19 including shipping? If so that isn't bad and you didn't get hit for fees. I have ordered from them in the past and not been hit so hopefully that's par for the course.

Luke doesn't excite me

CHEERS!

The hat is looking much better now its painted, that orange just had to go lol. it certainly will fit in with the concept of the costume too I think.
    Those new figures look nice.

Rey looks a lot better, I might be tempted to a parts build at some point. Was that bowcaster $19 including shipping? If so that isn't bad and you didn't get hit for fees. I have ordered from them in the past and not been hit so hopefully that's par for the course.

Luke doesn't excite me

CHEERS!
    I was initially the same, "Luke warm" about his costume but now like it a lot more if you think of ROTJ Luke. $19 on it's own but they will mark the packages gift etc.. I tend to buy many items in one go to try to save on postage, more often than not they'll refund you money from postage as their automated system tends to overcharge.

The hat is looking much better now its painted, that orange just had to go lol. it certainly will fit in with the concept of the costume too I think.
    Those new figures look nice.
    Cheers scalawag! I think so too. Done more paint, well just silvers but will give you a better idea of how KB20 (or should it be KBT0?) will look when done.

Ah gotcha, I do remember all that now, it's been a long time since I ordered anything from them.

CHEERS!

The underside is now the same red as his sarong, not orange! I dremelled out the "head piece" for three reasons, firstly so the lenses matched up to his eyes, secondly so that his ears are not obstructed as they are his primary way to sense his surroundings along with his Force bubble awareness and lastly so the hat/helmet/droid can attach to his gauntlet to act as a physical shield and use it as an emergency recharge station (since the gauntlet doesn't seem to have a purpose otherwise). I'm thinking of leaving the lenses green like the Death Troopers' night vision emitters and receivers in the same film (night vision works by emitting a light bandwidth that humans and animals are not equipped to see naturally, then using a powered filter to transfer it into a simple visible spectrum like shades of green on a monitor only the user has access to); this could be an additional visual aid with the information that normally triggers the rods and combs in a healthy retina sent straight to the visual cortex via electrochemical means from the cybernetic implants instead.

Just imagine the hat droid/KB20 is attached to the head piece for now..

Everything is still just a balancing act at the moment, nothing attached yet...

Pretty interesting work, even if it is off canon and perhaps even Star Trek inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    Pretty interesting work, even if it is off canon and perhaps even Star Trek inspired.
    Well it's not Star Trek inspired but now I can't stop seeing the bloody Enterprise every time I look at it!!!

Still not done but getting there...

Right hopefully fixed the "Enterprise" problem that was driving me nuts and looks more like a Japanese helmet now as well.

I think it's better as a droid than it is as a hat, and you have lost the Trek look now.

CHEERS!

Well the idea is it's both and a shield so plenty of display options
    Gluing the bottom part to the middle part, needed to be on the head for alignment so used a thin plastic baggy for protection from any glue drips. I might add an antenna but otherwise just need to finish gluing it all together and do the weathering on it and the entire figure.

I love it, I don't mind it not being canon, its great to see people using their own imagination and creativity. Why would someone in the Star Wars universe who is blind not have a little extra help?

You have also definitely dealt the death blow to the Star Trek look.

I really do think this is a great idea that has been very well executed.

Spot on mate.

Looks like a hairdryer with the bag on it, LOL! I''m sure it's all going to work out fine in the end.

CHEERS!

I love it, I don't mind it not being canon, its great to see people using their own imagination and creativity. Why would someone in the Star Wars universe who is blind not have a little extra help?

You have also definitely dealt the death blow to the Star Trek look.

I really do think this is a great idea that has been very well executed.

Spot on mate.
    Thanks scalawag! Glad to hear some support for the idea and that the Treky vibe has gone, nearly done, main parts are gluing and need to paint and attach the "surround" photoreceptors to the sides.

Looks like a hairdryer with the bag on it, LOL! I''m sure it's all going to work out fine in the end.

CHEERS!
    You must have f**king weird hairdryer!!

Sorry, it just reminded me of those ones in salons for some reason.

CHEERS!

Nah, those look more like a 1920's-50's sci-fi astronaut helmets lol. All done now sans weathering, still not sure about putting a stubby antenna on it or not due to the shield function.

Making a folding antenna. Still haven't done any weathering yet but painted and attached the extra photoreceptors and IR emitters for NV, you can now see it all together and in shield mode too, not sure where I'm putting the folding antenna yet.

Last edited by shovelchop81; 10-10-2017 at 03:01.

That is brilliant mate, I think it looks great in either configuration and fits in really well with the overall look of the figure. And of course you have a brand new droid into the bargain! Wonderful work all round.

Paul

Makes sense as a shield and as a droid.

CHEERS!

That is brilliant mate, I think it looks great in either configuration and fits in really well with the overall look of the figure. And of course you have a brand new droid into the bargain! Wonderful work all round.

Paul
    Thanks Paul! The weathering and black ink wash should make the details show up better.

Makes sense as a shield and as a droid.

CHEERS!
    Oh well convincing you of "two out of three ain't bad" as Meatloaf would sing...

He went vegetarian recently, prefers to be known as Malt Loaf!

CHEERS!

He actually was for ten years! LOL. Did you know he survived being hit in the head with a shot put?! Broke both his legs jumping off stage too...ouch, I guess everyone was too terrified to catch him!