Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe & KB20 Explained..

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Lots Of Hand Sewing Done

Coming along nicely,

I went through the whole of 24 some while back. It stayed good right till the end. Haven't bothered with the new one, 24 without Jack just isn't 24.

CHEERS!

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Lots Of Hand Sewing Done

There's a new one without Jack? That's like James Bond without 007! I love how they incorporate Bond like music in here and there, sort of admitting "Yeah, this is a Canadian/American James Bond"
    Pics to support that coolie/farmer's hat idea as an option for display:

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Yeah, it's 24: Legacy. Not seen it, but, without Jack it's pointless.

Mmm, nah, I'd ditch the lampshade idea.

CHEERS!

Nope I like it.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Had a bit of a brain wave while looking through parts to find stuff to make his hat out of, I came across a little Imperial DD-13 chopper droid and thought those legs could fit inside his hat.. I then went on to think that his hat should serve a purpose or two, firstly to help him see like Dare Devil does with sonic waves like submarines' sonar (or that guy from Star Trek). It could also be a seeker type droid or one of the new ones in the book I'm reading "Inferno Squad" where they have a dome shaped flying droid with manipulator arms. This could explain the mysterious controls on his belt and gauntlet. Perhaps before we see him in the film his droid was stolen, lost gambling, destroyed etc.. which is why he is seen begging on the steps so he can try to get it repaired or replaced? Just a background story I thought up. That way he can either wear it as a "hat" that is actually an information gatherer for a cyber synaptic implant with the manipulators hidden or can be floating next to him with manipulators extended to go off on errands for him etc.. or act as a partner in self defence. Just bare with my designer/artistic side as I like creating mechanical dohickies as you well know!

Looks dead weird to me and you don't see him use anything like that in the movie.

CHEERS!

No you don't but I created a little back story above, it would make sense that a blind person in a galaxy with all that technology would have some sort of technical aid for his disability, Count Vidian has cybernetic everything pretty much like Grievous. Plus if you look at Asian mythology, films and history there has always been a blind man with a stick sword and farmers hat... I'm talking to a brick wall aren't I?

These are actual Japanese foot soldiers' and archers' helmets:

Just messing around with possible configurations:

I think this is a feasible idea, probably not something I would go with, but I still think it works. In my opinion the first version looks better, perhaps a little more elegant and in keeping with the character. The second version looks a little clumsy or fussy to my eye. It has too much going on.

Quote Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
    I think this is a feasible idea, probably not something I would go with, but I still think it works. In my opinion the first version looks better, perhaps a little more elegant and in keeping with the character. The second version looks a little clumsy or fussy to my eye. It has too much going on.
    Cheers for the support even if it's not your thing! Yeah, still figuring it out, just started tbh, obviously the colours would be very different, more in keeping with his clothing so mostly off white with a bit of silver and red accents, it's just a fun little side project as sometimes replicating other people's designs can be down right boring and restricts my need for creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Cheers for the support even if it's not your thing! Yeah, still figuring it out, just started tbh, obviously the colours would be very different, more in keeping with his clothing so mostly off white with a bit of silver and red accents, it's just a fun little side project as sometimes replicating other people's designs can be down right boring and restricts my need for creativity.
    Not at all, its great to see you exercising the old grey cells and creating new ideas. I do think plain would be the better way to go with this. The most successful looking versions in the pics you have posted are the ones with less additions I think. Perhaps a couple of Star Wars style greeblies near the rim where they could be reached easily with a finger, or something like that. I just think the second version looks a bit cluttered. In fact it reminds me more of something that might be found in episodes 1, 2 or 3 rather than Rogue one or A New Hope. Just my opinions obviously but I hope they might help in the creative process.

Not at all, its great to see you exercising the old grey cells and creating new ideas. I do think plain would be the better way to go with this. The most successful looking versions in the pics you have posted are the ones with less additions I think. Perhaps a couple of Star Wars style greeblies near the rim where they could be reached easily with a finger, or something like that. I just think the second version looks a bit cluttered. In fact it reminds me more of something that might be found in episodes 1, 2 or 3 rather than Rogue one or A New Hope. Just my opinions obviously but I hope they might help in the creative process.
    I'll keep in mind it needs to be outdated banged up tech because of the Imperial crack downs and lack of care facilities for most mid-rim and outer-rim planets, cheers for the reminder, I don't want give him a pristine state of the art piece of tech.

This is why I'm not giving him an Earth version, looks way too small...

Manipulators and photoreceptor in one (legs will come off)

Yeah I can see why you wouldn't go with the first pic lol.
    The beat up look does make way more sense in terms of Star Wars lore.

Ah well, at the end of the day it's up to you. I'm by no means a Star Wars purist and have done non canon things myself, but, the genuine purists are a funny old bunch and are way more picky than I am.

Carry on..

CHEERS!

I've made loads of 1/6 customs that aren't canon, that's what's fun about SW you're not restricted to realistic or historical rules/uniforms etc.. as long as you throw in the odd modded WW2 item and some weathering that's about all you need LOL! I mean look at Chirrut as a character by himself, does he fit in with any other known cultures or styles previously seen in the SW universe? I can't think of anyone aside from Embo the bounty hunter who is a completely different species with no ties to Jedha or the Jedi. You can argue Chirrut has the classic Buddhist monk thing going on which is what the Jedi were based on but his clothing and their colours don't say Jedi to me at all (and yes I know he's not one); his belt box, gauntlet and weapon are the only classic SW features on him (if you really want to be purist he has Chelsea boots like Storm Troopers). I've been a big SW fan all my life and I'm 42 so I don't see expanding a character's history as a bad thing especially when he hasn't even got one, read all the books, reading the new ones as they come out and there's nothing about him or Jedha "Temple Guards" in any of them so far and well.. it's been blown up by the Death Star now so unless they do a prequel to this prequel but is post the previous prequel I don't see us learning much more about him!

Anyway, making more joints for the droid hat's manipulators so they can tuck away in hat mode..

As he's all done "officially" aside from the elastic in his boots and some weathering, I decided to give him his weapons and strike a pose while I tinker with the hat build...

Going to look a damn sight better when it's not bright orange!!

Starting to look pretty perfect!

He looks great there, the 'hat' looks like a cool droid to me.

Speaking of hats, I just got some bloke wearing one:

More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe & KB20 Explained..-my-clint-0001-jpg

CHEERS!

Now that's pretty slick. I dig it, man.

Well it is going to be a hat-droid, a new line in fashion in a galaxy far, far away...

Glad to see your Clint arrived and looks so much better than that heavily painted first pic you showed me . Got more gun parts from Czechoslovakia today for my SVD Draganov!

Starting to look pretty perfect!
    Thanks GF!

He looks bloomin' great mate.

The hat is coming along nicely too, I can see more of the concept now, but yeah that orange is pretty vivid lol.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Well it is going to be a hat-droid, a new line in fashion in a galaxy far, far away...

Glad to see your Clint arrived and looks so much better than that heavily painted first pic you showed me . Got more gun parts from Czechoslovakia today for my SVD Draganov!

Thanks GF!
    I was beginning to give up hope. Not only did Clint arrive, but, I also got my Patrick McGoohan:

More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe & KB20 Explained..-my-6-0001-jpg

Clint's head is being primed. It's great when you can get going.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle Munkey View Post
    Now that's pretty slick. I dig it, man.
    Thanks PM!

He looks bloomin' great mate.

The hat is coming along nicely too, I can see more of the concept now, but yeah that orange is pretty vivid lol.
    Cheers Scal! Still a load of work to do on the hat. Funnily enough after posting that hat-droid fashion joke I remembered there is actually precedent in the SW universe for droids that are worn as accessories, it is in one of the later SW novels (perhaps the one about Count Vidian or Tarkin) where on a planet of rich elite they wear decorative droids as fashion symbols and symbols of status as well as being their equivalent of a Smart Phone+

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    I was beginning to give up hope. Not only did Clint arrive, but, I also got my Patrick McGoohan:

More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe & KB20 Explained..-my-6-0001-jpg

Clint's head is being primed. It's great when you can get going.

CHEERS!
    Cool and yes it is! Are you going to inflate a condom for him to cower from? Should be about 1/6 scale . Portmeirion isn't that far (as the crow flies) from me but there's a gazillion valleys to navigate first!

LOL, no I'm not! I'd love to visit Portmeirion one day though, it's such a cool place.

CHEERS!

Not a lot going on today 1/6 wise, I'm modding my Dragunov SVD sniper rifle with a gas conversion kit that needed some grinding, working great so far, just fine tuning at the moment.
    Did a bit of work on the hat last night/this morning to remove the excess fussiness as scalawag put it, I am combining the two as I have always planned, I found some nice photoreceptors to go with the whole "an aid to the blind" device theme, I just realised that the fact that the hat/helmet is actually radar dish shaped carries on with that theme too! LOL. Put him in another pose too..

The SVD

Next to my custom built suppressed MP5 for scale, it's a LONG rifle!

Last edited by shovelchop81; 10-04-2017 at 10:18.

you are right it is radar dish shaped......or is it shield shaped????? perhaps the droid element would provide a portable/remote shield for Chirrut.

Like the dragunove by the way, very nice.

you are right it is radar dish shaped......or is it shield shaped????? perhaps the droid element would provide a portable/remote shield for Chirrut.

Like the dragunove by the way, very nice.
    Cheers! The shield idea had crossed my mind too but forgot about it lol! Thanks for the reminder, a blind guy in a blaster fight needs all the help he can get!!

That's one bada$$ rifle!

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    That's one bada$$ rifle!

CHEERS!
    Thanks Roger! Pretty accurate too especially with the gas upgrade, far more powerful.
    Finished his boots at last using real black elastic, black wash on the boots, weathering next and hat.

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Chelsea Boots done

Pretty decent,

Knocked up a base for Clint yesterday, still a few touch ups needed but on the whole it looks pretty good:

More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe & KB20 Explained..-clint-base-jpg
    That's a 2 wooden plaque, some Citadel paint and some railroad scenics.

CHEERS!