Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe & KB20 Explained..

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds,Luke Under Natural Light

Yeah, nice! I use natural light for all my pics.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Yeah, nice! I use natural light for all my pics.

CHEERS!
    Cheers! I do for finished shots or threads but not WIP, it's way too impractical.
    What pics?
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

All the ones I post of finished stuff is and on the rare occasions I post WIP's they are too. I take it though that you're referring to the lack of them thanks to PB, bit of a sore point still!

CHEERS!

Yeah I remember all your Indie builds and dios , Bond, Licifer, Asian Obi-wan etc.. I was just teasing! I thought the photobucket problem was mostly fixed with that extension tool? A lot of my threads were hit too, down loaded everything but as you can imagine with over 19 pages of thread tittles to go through and a lot of them lengthy WIP threads we're talking thousands of pictures to re-upload!!!. Is there a fix for Explorer? I still use that a lot for You Tube etc..
    Started working on Chirrut this morning.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Can't wait for more Cherrut, this is my wife's favorite character.
    Love the Han Solo with Chewie's crossbow! That was an excellent scene in the movie. You would think in all their years together, Han would have fired it before. His surprise at it's power was humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiacivan View Post
    Can't wait for more Cherrut, this is my wife's favorite character.
    Love the Han Solo with Chewie's crossbow! That was an excellent scene in the movie. You would think in all their years together, Han would have fired it before. His surprise at it's power was humorous.
    Early days yet on Chirrut but hopefully he'll come out okay, got quite a complicated costume due to many layers, straps and cords etc..
    Yeah I love that Bowcaster scene with Han too, in the expanded universe novels (legends now) they explain that only a Wookie has the strength to cock a bowcaster and they make their own exploding quarrels/bolts which would explain why Han didn't use it but also makes absolutely no sense otherwise, I've never once seen Chewie have to cock his bow or any evidence of actual physical quarrels/bolts or even a bow string for that matter. The truth behind the prop is that it's actually a very slightly "disguised" Barnett Commando self-cocking crossbow, I know that as I own one! It's all metal and quite heavy, you will have seen it used in the James Bond film "For Your Eyes Only" (based in Greece where I grew up) used by the heroine daughter to avenge her father by assassinating his assassin. I also scratch built a 1/6 version for my Custom Dolph Lundren Punisher figure as he also used one in the first Punisher film where he rides a Harley Davidson Shovelhead chopper almost identical to mine except I've since put springers on my front end

Anyway enough trivia and speculation... on with the Chirrut build! Typically nothing fit the body properly... had to drill out hand peg holes, dremell out sockets for the foot pegs, make a new neck adaptor out of broken bits with a custom rubber washer and the zip went on the vest half way up so had to super glue that too, guess they used a thinner body. The rest was mainly hunting through mounds of fabric and bags full of 1/6 and 1/1 clothing to find appropriate colours, textures, thickness's etc.. to create the rest of his clothing, I ditched the blue Samurai clothing as it didn't do the job and found some more interesting fabric from another really old Asian fantasy figure that with some cutting and sewing should look good. I'm also unpicking stitches from a red (exact match as far as I can tell) Action Man climbing gear Parka to make his main sarong/kilt thingy and have other stuff pictured to use for his secondary tabbard and capelet.

I give up, most decent reference pics are HT but I do have plenty of movie stills and pics of the actual costume on display just on my tablet not PC right now:

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Yeah I remember all your Indie builds and dios , Bond, Licifer, Asian Obi-wan etc.. I was just teasing! I thought the photobucket problem was mostly fixed with that extension tool? A lot of my threads were hit too, down loaded everything but as you can imagine with over 19 pages of thread tittles to go through and a lot of them lengthy WIP threads we're talking thousands of pictures to re-upload!!!. Is there a fix for Explorer? I still use that a lot for You Tube etc..
    Started working on Chirrut this morning.
    The extension does make the pics visible again, but only if you didn't delete your account, which I of course did! I don't think it is available for IE as far as I know.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Early days yet on Chirrut but hopefully he'll come out okay, got quite a complicated costume due to many layers, straps and cords etc..
    Yeah I love that Bowcaster scene with Han too, in the expanded universe novels (legends now) they explain that only a Wookie has the strength to cock a bowcaster and they make their own exploding quarrels/bolts which would explain why Han didn't use it but also makes absolutely no sense otherwise, I've never once seen Chewie have to cock his bow or any evidence of actual physical quarrels/bolts or even a bow string for that matter. The truth behind the prop is that it's actually a very slightly "disguised" Barnett Commando self-cocking crossbow, I know that as I own one! It's all metal and quite heavy, you will have seen it used in the James Bond film "For Your Eyes Only" (based in Greece where I grew up) used by the heroine daughter to avenge her father by assassinating his assassin. I also scratch built a 1/6 version for my Custom Dolph Lundren Punisher figure as he also used one in the first Punisher film where he rides a Harley Davidson Shovelhead chopper almost identical to mine except I've since put springers on my front end

Anyway enough trivia and speculation... on with the Chirrut build! Typically nothing fit the body properly... had to drill out hand peg holes, dremell out sockets for the foot pegs, make a new neck adaptor out of broken bits with a custom rubber washer and the zip went on the vest half way up so had to super glue that too, guess they used a thinner body. The rest was mainly hunting through mounds of fabric and bags full of 1/6 and 1/1 clothing to find appropriate colours, textures, thickness's etc.. to create the rest of his clothing, I ditched the blue Samurai clothing as it didn't do the job and found some more interesting fabric from another really old Asian fantasy figure that with some cutting and sewing should look good. I'm also unpicking stitches from a red (exact match as far as I can tell) Action Man climbing gear Parka to make his main sarong/kilt thingy and have other stuff pictured to use for his secondary tabbard and capelet.

I give up, most decent reference pics are HT but I do have plenty of movie stills and pics of the actual costume on display just on my tablet not PC right now:
    He's looking good!

CHEERS!

The extension does make the pics visible again, but only if you didn't delete your account, which I of course did! I don't think it is available for IE as far as I know.

CHEERS!
    Oops.... forgot about that mate, I kept mine thinking someone would hack it and come up with a workaround eventually which you found, thanks again for that!

He's looking good!

CHEERS!
    Cheers, early days as far as sewing going goes, haven't even started yet! LOL.

Just an initial mock up:

Last edited by shovelchop81; 09-26-2017 at 09:56.

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe Started

Looking good,

I deleted my account as I still had all the pics, didn't occur to me then what effect that would have on my threads! Ah well...

CHEERS!

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe Started

Okay do-over, that body was way to bulky for Chirrut, he's super thin having looked at pictures of the actor so taken a rubber torso more "ripped" looking muscle structure more suited to a martial artist anyway and after cutting away the rubber from the neck post, removing my custom socket and shaving away at the inside of the neck the head now fits great; I then replaced the wrist pegs and feet and redressed him in what I have so far, looks a hundred times better and still had super articulation. I'll need to colour match the skin tones but will worry about that later, inks should work.

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Body Swapped Out..

Yeah definitely better. There's no doubt that Donnie Yen is ripped, but he's certainly not bulky.

CHEERS!

Yeah he's really skinny in real life.
    Well on the plus side I found the correct materials for his sarong/tabards but will have to do a lot of sewing to get it all to fit together, he has the same material on his outer sarong as Kylo Ren does on his cloak in TFA.

Okay... well I thought it was, I'm sure I saw a picture of it looking like that sort of futuristic hemp material in black? Oh well better start looking for a black suede like material now then...

Well this is the HT version, so I must be losing my marbles... perhaps it was on a home made costume? Wait now I see it in the pc below, is that a pattern or just pixel distortion?

Sod it, going to use the Destro Hasbro clothing material as originally planned as I like the pattern on it which goes with his coveralls pattern, not movie accurate but I like the look which is very subtle under natural light. The fact there are while stripes already in place (well sort of as I'll have to remove them while getting the orange plastic off, then replace them) helps too.

Better you than me! Darren Carnall just told me how he did the tassels on his Clint poncho, very involved, but they look so good. Not sure how I'll do mine yet, but I'll work something out. Still not here yet!

CHEERS!

LOL, yeah this doesn't look like much but took hours of puzzling together so it looks fluid and not patchy, had to realign all the white stripes borders too. Haven't done the red stripe yet as I'm worried about it bleeding so want to do some tests first. Painting or making real tassels?

Damn it, camera keeps going from manual to intelligent auto setting!

The tassels were real made from part of a mop head. Haven't worked out what I'm doing with mine yet, if it ever gets here! That 'pattern' on that Chirrut clothing in that pic is pixel distortion. The pattern on yours makes me think of pyjamas.

CHEERS!

LOL! Like Hugh Hefner's who just passed away? That's a man who had a good innings as they say in England. Well they called the Viet Kong's clothing pyjamas too. As for tassels I'd get a bunch of appropriate coloured threads (browns and black isn't it?) muddle them up and tie a knot for each one, easier to do a long string of them then cut each one and glue it on from underneath, you could then use wax to style them etc..
    Going to start the red sarong now.

Man...you're at it again.

Having a good time just following along.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Man...you're at it again.

Having a good time just following along.
    Cheers dadrab! The fun never ends...

Lots cutting, glueing then lots of sewing done; well at least it's all symmetrical! I'll make his caplette/ little cloak out of T-shirt material so it hangs/drapes properly, well that's the plan!

Insides before sewing and trimming:

Outside after:

I haven't attached his sleeve yet:

Last edited by shovelchop81; 09-29-2017 at 19:19.

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Lots Of Hand Sewing Done

Some great work going into this one mate, and it's coming on a treat.

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Lots Of Hand Sewing Done

Quote Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
    Some great work going into this one mate, and it's coming on a treat.
    Cheers scalawag! I'll be doing some weathering too and modding his boots to look more like the ones in the film.

Looking good there!

Lack of Clint to work on (Be lucky to get it on Monday now!) led to my idle hands making a complete balls of my computer. Lots of head scratching, swearing, little sleep, but, I've finally managed to get it all back to how it should be. I'm sure I'll work something out for the tassels, maybe a 1/6 mop could work somehow, bet there's a Barbie one somewhere..

Have fun, I'll try to!

CHEERS!

LOL, yup that's PCs for you! Did you install the new motherboard you were after?
    Today pretty much captured how I live my life and my character..no normal in between mode, sewing patiently for hours then mag dumping a couple of my full auto guns on tins cans, then calmly sewing again!
    Done the jumpsuit sleeve and front/back panel parts, loads of fine stitching by hand (as I don't like sewing machines) to create those vertical lines on the outer sarong; also did the red line but it bled where there was some glue residue so I'll need to touch that up carefully with white later. Found some old clean boxer shorts to make his cape out of, nice thin soft drapey material.

Ignore the excess factory thread, I'll trim that off.

Only 4&1/2 more full length lines to stitch without gaps..

Finally finished stitching all those lines into the sarong, looks good in hand after all that work, I was worried it would either look amateurish or not be visible at all but works quite well even next to the HT machine stitched shirt and vest. I corrected the red line with white and seems to have done the trick, made his cape out of that soft cotton material and now I'm making red straps for the under sarong to tie together on the figure; still needs some sewing though. I did notice that the HT red sarong is also made up of various parts stitched together so that's more of a stroke of luck than a grand design by me!

White and red lines stripes fixed here:

HT red sarong:

We all need to let off steam now and again. I've been watching the GP and episodes of The Prisoner. I installed the motherboard ages ago. I think the recent issues were to do with my registry. My folder views and file associations for .rar files got screwed up. They are 2 things I use a lot and I wanted them to be working properly. Thankfully it's all sorted now and I'm never touching my registry ever again!

Glad to see Chirrut is progressing well. It's great when one goes well as it sets you up for another. Clint will be a challenge, but with Darren's hints and tips I should do well. I wish I had his kit to work on, but I fear it'd cost over 200. After that, I have a kit of Patrick McGoohan as Number 6 to work on, and I'm looking forward to that.

CHEERS!

Talking of watching stuff, I've nearly finished season five of 24, how the hell can you fit that many plot changes into 24hrs? The writers must be on some serious amphetamines! As usual full of beautiful women

Nearly there, going to cut his cape into an hourglass shape and stitch some folds in due to 1/6 gravity problems... the boots will need to be transformed into the Chelsea Boots so popular with SW characters, that and Sterling machineguns! Even Chirrut's bowcaster has one incorporated!

Done the cape mods adding random ties here and there as the costume has probably so he can wear it as protection against the weather and sand (what's with sand in all the movies? Tatooine, Jedha, Jaku, Wobani, Scarif etc..). I also attached it a bit like a Hussar's coat using ties. I removed the hidden short sleeve from underneath the half tunic as it seemed a waste of nicely sewn material that can be used on another build, it also restricted his articulation quite a lot. I realigned and glued his tunic's neck "V" to cover the connection of his actual neck to the body, made him some ankle bindings to keep his trousers from riding up in poses and also give that puffy look the film costume ones have. Just started work on his boots which technically are the last pieces to do but I want to add another accessory of my own imagining that as soon as I saw him in the film I thought he was lacking, either because of typical actor vanity or it was impractical for the fight scenes but he really needs an Asian style coolie hat with a sci-fi twist as a weapon too (I bet you he had one at some point in the concept stage!), like the bounty hunter Embo in The Clone Wars series who carries a bowcaster too or Raiden from Mortal Kombat and the other guy from MK Kung Lao; anyway more on that later..