Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Chirrut Imwe & KB20 Explained..

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Luke & Chirrut WIP

Impressive! looks very stable now. I too have often wondered how they get paint to adhere so well to the rubbery plastics, I assume that it isnt paint at all but coloured rubber/plastic. maybe.

I think it's probably a thermosetting pigment that could be baked on at a low heat
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

The gap looks a bit odd, if you did real wraps you could hide that gap. Maybe, however, there are some DID or 3R Japanese boots you could customise!?

CHEERS!

Thats looking great. I like K2SO too, contemplating getting one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    The gap looks a bit odd, if you did real wraps you could hide that gap. Maybe, however, there are some DID or 3R Japanese boots you could customise!?

CHEERS!
    Yeah I know but that's only in extreme poses or if I don't take the time to fiddle the putties over the boots, good enough for now as he will be posed like this:

Quote Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
    Thats looking great. I like K2SO too, contemplating getting one myself.
    Thanks and yes he is, has Die-cast parts too.

Working on the belt and pouch now.

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

I suppose they don't look too bad there.

CHEERS!

I suppose they don't look too bad there.

CHEERS!
    Thank you for your begrudged approval there Roger!

All done now with Luke, made the pouch, weathered the buckle (and it doesn't look like HT's which would be more at home on Tony Stark's chest), added the tiny dark rivets and repainted his hair with washes of smoky black ink, sepia ink and dry brushed silver (not sure if it should be darker or not, I'll wait until epVIII as there are conflicting pics here).

HT's paint:

Reference:

My redo, well at least he looks older...

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds, Old Luke Finished.

Looks very nice! So nice indeed that, realizing how much work you put into making him this perfect, now I am less likely to go through the hassle of trying to get a hold of the head sculpt. And I mean that as a compliment to your abilities.

Might stitch his shirt cuffs together.

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    Looks very nice! So nice indeed that, realizing how much work you put into making him this perfect, now I am less likely to go through the hassle of trying to get a hold of the head sculpt. And I mean that as a compliment to your abilities.
    Thank you very much GF but all I did to the hs was add some paint on his hair and beard, very easy; although you could wait and see if someone else does a better sculpt in the future.

I think I'll make his eyelids/bags darker too...

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Thank you very much GF but all I did to the hs was add some paint on his hair and beard, very easy; although you could wait and see if someone else does a better sculpt in the future.
    I find repainting (or painting unpainted) head sculpts well to be one of the hardest part of customization. Granted, you focused on the hair, and that is perhaps not as difficult as getting the skin look right, but still very impressive result.

I find repainting (or painting unpainted) head sculpts well to be one of the hardest part of customization. Granted, you focused on the hair, and that is perhaps not as difficult as getting the skin look right, but still very impressive result.
    Cheers! Decided to take the touch ups on the hs a step further, darkened the hair then gave him dark tired/menacing eyes that Mark Hamill seems to have in the film taking the sculpt away from looking like Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan Kenobi and more like his father Anakin Skywalker when realised everything he had believed in was a lie... I get the impression that Luke is no longer deluded by the Light and Dark Force but understands the Grey at this point in his life. I softened some of the ocular bone shadowing further down the pics as it was coming out too severe in pictures even though it look okay in hand, I can't make him look puffier so at least he's now more interesting and how I think Luke should look after so many years of self exile and depression over all that had happened to him as a young man and the responsibility of all the deaths he caused. Sewed up his shirt cuffs too.
    Ht's hs before any touch ups:

Ewan as ObiWan Kenobi:

Mark Hamill as Old Luke:

Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker:

Last edited by shovelchop81; 09-24-2017 at 03:46.

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds,Luke Face & Hair Repaint

Mmm, I'd dial them back a bit, he looks a bit undead now.

CHEERS!

Mmm, I'd dial them back a bit, he looks a bit undead now.

CHEERS!
    Will do later a bit fed up of looking at him right now!

Pics of my TWA good guys shelf so far, finished weathering BB8+ Rey and gave her some more accessories, still need to fix Han's eyebrows, I'll do that when I soften Luke's eyes some more.

Spot light's really harsh but shows details...too many!

I see what you were going for with the darker color around the eyes, but perhaps you went a bit too far. You might want to (a) light up the color just a little bit and (b) soften the edges between the darker and lighter colors. Otherwise it runs the danger of appearing a tad racoonish (either that or some nemesis did get to his place of refuge and gave him simultaneous black eyes).

I see what you were going for with the darker color around the eyes, but perhaps you went a bit too far. You might want to (a) light up the color just a little bit and (b) soften the edges between the darker and lighter colors. Otherwise it runs the danger of appearing a tad racoonish (either that or some nemesis did get to his place of refuge and gave him simultaneous black eyes).
    LOL, I know he's doing an Alice Cooper impression for now, I'll fix it later as I've been busy working on non 1/6 stuff, glad you know what I'm trying to do at least!

Oh, the reference photos clearly justified your decision, but yes it would look even better if you are adding further subtlety to it down the line.

Looking really sweet here, shoverlchop!! One suggestion that I have, though not sure about, is about the leggings on the boots: is it possible to do an actual "wrap" on the legs using a cloth sleeve (kinda like a legging) underneath and wrapping a strip from the foot up with the shoe off, fastening it under the foot and then putting the shoe on?

Quote Originally Posted by pengbuzz View Post
    Looking really sweet here, shoverlchop!! One suggestion that I have, though not sure about, is about the leggings on the boots: is it possible to do an actual "wrap" on the legs using a cloth sleeve (kinda like a legging) underneath and wrapping a strip from the foot up with the shoe off, fastening it under the foot and then putting the shoe on?
    Totally, I've just been lazy... a bit burnt out with my LOTR/The Hobbit builds to be honest, working on my guns at the moment but will probably do real wraps/putties soon.

Oh, the reference photos clearly justified your decision, but yes it would look even better if you are adding further subtlety to it down the line.
    I agree just knackered right now.

Very nice work. Everything looks spot on to me. Except that Luke has two black things sticking out under his balls that I never noticed in the movie
    More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by shazzdan View Post
    Very nice work. Everything looks spot on to me. Except that Luke has two black things sticking out under his balls that I never noticed in the movie
    I'll steal a white waist grabber from another stand, been bugging me too! Wonder what HT did (aside from the dio) with his stand.

Eyes redone or done over whatever... less Alice Cooper now although I am a big AC fan! Made my first metalhead jacket at 13 or 14 years old based on his "Poison" video jacket, over 350 studs each done by hand with pliers... still got it hanging on a wall!
    I'm going to start work on real material putties now too as I finally found some materials that match colour, texture and thickness wise.

Redid Han's eyebrows too, might need more blending he looks a bit like a drag act to me right now..

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds,Luke's eyesockets redone.

They both look better now.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Totally, I've just been lazy... a bit burnt out with my LOTR/The Hobbit builds to be honest, working on my guns at the moment but will probably do real wraps/putties soon.
    Oh, I understand completely man. Been kinda limping along on my ROM figure after having a devil of a time with the undersuit.

They both look better now.

CHEERS!
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by pengbuzz View Post
    Oh, I understand completely man. Been kinda limping along on my ROM figure after having a devil of a time with the undersuit.
    I'll have to check that out, sorry I'm crap at visiting other threads as I'm always bogged down with mine or building!
    Done the real fabric putties now, used diluted PVA to keep them in place and stop any further fraying and since PVA is rubbery it doesn't affect the ankle articulation, he can still pull off extreme poses (not that he needs to) with no hindrance or gaps showing. Thanks for keeping me going guys he's turned out much better now, I also gave him a belly as Mark Hamill is a little tubby now a days like me...yay getting old..
    I took better pics of Han as it wasn't my painting after all it was the picture, I also painted his jacket with smoky brown ink to help get rid of the shiny effect and look more like real leather.

(Before brown ink on jacket)

After but bright spotlight so looks much shinier than it is IRL

Re: More Budget Custom Modern Star Wars Builds,Luke Real Fabric Putties & Belly

I think Luke is better now (and Han too). In one of the photos, I think I see some highlight in the middle of Luke's "dark shadows" under his eyes. I wonder if that is light bouncing up from the plastic and/or paint. Since these areas in the photograph are dark presumably primarily because they are in shadow, perhaps that can be resolved by applying a little bit of matte or dull coat? I am not sure, just an idea. But the subtler shadow definitely works well.

Luke's boots look way better now, though I agree with GF, a little matt on the face would work well.

CHEERS!

I'll get some Dulcote....

This is how they look under just natural light.