Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What made you . . . why . . . did you join the OSW?

What made you . . . why . . . did you join the OSW?

See subject.

PREFACE

Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee were the best thespian duo based on their collaborative roles in classic Hammer horror films. The two actors were also lifelong friends. In the early 70s when Cushing’s wife passed, he was distraught and was contemplating from withdrawing from a role he committed to. Lee was cast in the same film and engaged his friend in many conversations to evoke better memories and convince his friend to remain in the role. It worked. They remained friends until Cushing’s passing. Lee continued his career and frequently spoke of his friendship with Cushing until he too passed.

--

As of late, the OSW had its share of ups and downs for a variety of reasons of which many of us are obviously aware of. We’re still here indifferent, right, and wrong. There are those of us who are choosing to make the OSW what it is and those who are not.

The context and intent of this discussion is not specifically nostalgia, but to go back to basics and perhaps reignite and remind us how and why we joined the OSW in the first place and evoke/trigger some worthwhile recollections and find common unity within the group and the 1:6 hobby?

I joined the OSW in its first incarnation back in 1999/2000. I had much to learn about online engagement and interactions and learned the hard way. I joined because I started in the 1:6 hobby and my focus at the time like many others were 1:6 scale modern military and specifically offerings from 21STCT. I discovered and learned about BBI, DML, and others through the OSW and other online resources. My focus/niche evolved and migrated to 1:6 female figures, but I remained actively engaged with the OSW and other 1:6 discussion groups.

I always found the creativity and talent within the OSW to be amazing when it came to the discussion and passion of 1:6 military figures from different periods as appreciated how it evolved over the years in reflecting the nature of the 1:6 hobby. The OSW has always been a mainstay regardless of criticism and feedback.

The thread's title and question apply to us all as members and even staff.

Speak your 1:6 mind.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Re: What made you . . . why . . . did you join the OSW?

While humping around the internet years ago, I came across gaiagear's thread on weapon mods: "HK-B&T" ~ HK & Brügger weapons image mods

One of the featured pieces was a miniature version of one of my toys! MC51 by lhs on DeviantArt

Naturally being the young enthusiastic sap I was then, I just HAD to register and PM the dude and get a conversation going.

I was hooked on Dragon and BBI sets, and just saw some fresh Hot Toys military. Saw a link and checked out a review. Realized that I had way too much free time, and got on here. And now years later I have no free time. Mission accomplished.

No big philosophical ideals drew me here, nor is there a big and colourful story to tell of my joining.

I simply wanted somewhere that I could discuss 1/6 scale figures, ask advice and share my own knowledge, and post pictures of my own figures.

Paul
    Last edited by scalawag; 09-11-2017 at 00:51. Reason: Additional text included.

For me, I'd been over at MWD and was finding my interests were becoming OT for that forum, I think I'd heard OSW mentioned and so I had a look and liked what I saw. The rest is history..

CHEERS!

Google dumped me here last year and I've been coming back ever since.
    More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal

nothing special just browsing and the rest is history.

Like many, I stumbled onto this place I now call home through searching for 1/6 scale figures when I first started out collecting.
    Reading through public posts and comments left by many, found it's members to be very supportive of creativity and creative at the same time (and there was a lot of that at that time if I recall). Decided to sign up and I'm still here.

It is the perfect community ? Nope (which one is anyway ?) - but it's pretty darn close and that's good enough for me.

I liked the wide range of topics covered and decided that it was a nice place to hang out and post comments and my own figures/stuff.
    I had been a member of OSUK for a while, but it was becoming a little quiet, so I looked for somewhere more alive... and here I am.

random search bought me here in the early 2000s..was looking for the master works of vettius and he was here. Saw the forum and liked what i saw from the other folks here, so i joined. it was a time when it was mostly military inspired, now it's all that movie sh*t...reason that the great Vettius decided to move on from here. sad. anyways i still dig the forum as i can tolerate the tidal wave of movie and comics figures (for now)..but will see how things go here for 1/6th military....if it gets worst i will go bye, bye as well...

peace
    Miguel

(3/14) (6/14) (4/15) (2/16) (7/16) (1/17) (3/17)

During a " Let's build a 1/6 Garage Dio ", I discovered Bitter's End and the wonderful prop building displayed here on OSW. I,too, immediately signed up.

As I became more immersed in the hobby, and as I did research on particular figures or modification/customization techniques, I kept bumping into OSW content. So it made sense to join, all the more so as I began to write product reviews (the more formal ones are provided as guest reviews by Michael Crawford, but some shorter notes have appeared here) and to make more in the way of sixth-scale customs (like this, my first). So in a way it is about teaching and learning for me, and I have learned a lot here. As for the first part, not so sure, as my threads don't tend to elicit too many responses.

Like the others, google searches and looking for how-to's brought me here. Lurked for quite a while, mostly to observe and study the various techniques and tutorials. Became fascinated by the vast interests and specialty many has to offer.

I joined to learn how to better customize 1/6 figures. I stay for the same reason and because the opinions, philosophies and experiences of members with 1/6 scale are truly fascinating.
    "Be sad! Be glad! Be neither! Seek, or shun!
    Thou hast no reason why! Thou canst have none;
    Thy being's being is a contradiction." S.T. Coleridge

I have to say what the previous poster said.....Google dump me here. I come her mainly to see what new 1/6 products are offered. began commenting on new products and others kit bash. have slowed down over the past year. I realize that I am in a minority....what I mean I think of these as toys and others think of think as collector items. I got almost two hundred figures now and not as compulsive about my spending anymore. you would be surprised how many purchase I am actually able to talk myself out of.

It's been over 11 years since I joined, and my memory is a bit hazy, but I seem to recall stumbling across the OSW by accident, possibly while googling 1:6 scale sites. I liked what I saw, and have been here ever since!

David
    My Trade Feedback

"I'm afraid of spiders... and women... and spider women!"

I came here because:
    A. The board I frequented at the time was becoming a snake pit of cliquish fan boys.
    B. That same board did not recognize anything but WWII and I have an interest in most things 1/6th.
    I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one!

From a Google search I found this thread.....then I joined OSW. It is still one of my favorite customs to look at.
    THE DEATH DEALER !!
    "I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle."
    Trade feedback:
    http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ghlight=spyder

My story is pretty much the same as yours Chung. I collected Action figures but got bitten by the military 12 inch bug and as you said graduated from 21st Century stuff onto BBI, Toy Soldier Workshop and the inevitable Hot Toys got a hold. I was aware of the OSW stumbling around the web for other figure related sites. Few years back my love of movies took me down that line and that is pretty much where I am now. Nearly all my boxed Military and kitbash military have gone apart from a prized few SWAT and early military boxed Hot Toys.

No idea now....seems so long ago. I can remember being impressed with Dragon's Moondog and Miller, and BBI elite force, then discovering Soldier Story about Seal Team 10 Brad Pitt time and then Hot Toys military and Toy Soldier. Found some Cotswold catalogue in a drawer from 10+ yrs ago.....the prices make you weep!!

Ok I joined OSR ages ago, but over at SSF the Mod is cracking down on unlicensed custom figures, so I'm hoping OSR will be able to help.

I discovered Phicens while trolling e-bay for figure kits. My main hobby is painting Historical
    and Fantasy figures at which I've become fairly proficient at over the years - hence my
    "handle" gofigure or a variation thereof.
    I liked the seamless concept and being able to achieve various poses. In searching for
    information I discovered OSW and the "mature section" which opened a whole new world to me.

I joined to learn about the hobby and found the OSW the most helpful, and at the time there was a lot of Vietnam fig,s lot,s of photo stories, it was a magic place to come to.I learn,t so much from from the ole, crew names like USMCWayne , Apache26 really helpful people to a noob like me, i was on the outside of the Nam thing so getting help from USMCWayne was a bonus.Not much has changed for me,except i think i have finally been excepted as a Military Type by the new crew. As DFC said in a earlier post , "it,s what we make of it". So i will still post my creations, help where i can and continue with positive comments. This is a great site, for everybody respect your fellow OSW regardless of genre.

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    ��������

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    😂😂😂😂

I joined after finding many resources about Phicen figures on OSW from Google searches. I figured it would be a good place to share photos of Phicen bashes and to visit with others. I don't have anyone in person with whom to discuss these figures, so this is a place to do so.

triad toys' Eva is to blame, because i needed a place to show her off after i bought her.
    Hail Cobra!

Former member of MWD, I discovered OSW at the dame time as SSF. Registered on both (on different names because OSW would never let me use my usual handle, too short).

I posted mainly on SSF because, let's face it, I have absolutely zero interest in anything military, so mostly, I kept lurking.

Came a time, not so long ago, when I began to hate a lot of some ....... posters on SSF and some other shitty rules, and realized that people were much nicer and civil here. The rest is history.

I came on because I've a pretty good collection of Hot Toys Star Wars, Avengers, and now a few female hero characters, and just coming on for ideas on how they are being displayed. Some very interesting things thus far from what I've seen.