Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Turkeyshot's custom guns: Remington Model 870 Shotgun Collection (PIC HEAVY)

Cool Turkeyshot's custom guns: Remington Model 870 Shotgun Collection (PIC HEAVY)

Hi All,

I found a little time to complete a few long-running projects which I had started a couple of years ago, but for one reason or another had shelved and didn't get around to finishing ... until now. As the subject suggests, all of these projects involve the Remington Model 870 shotgun in one incarnation or another, because ... "Yeah, shotties are good, mate!" (If you don't get the reference, check out this CLIP from an old Heath Ledger movie).

With the exception of only one weapon, all of the shotties shown below have been customised - some more so than others. Details of what modifications have been made, along with the odd WIP photo (in reverse chronological order) are provided below along with the photo of each completed build. Let's start this post off with a couple of group shots of the whole family.

Remington Model 870 Shotgun Collection by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Remington Model 870 Shotgun Collection by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Remington 870P MAX

This is the one weapon shown in this post which has not been customised or modified by me. This came with the SS CIA SAD v2 figure (SS037).

Remington 870P MAX Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Remington 870P MAX Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Remington 870 Police Magnum

This build has received some modification. Originally the weapon which came with the DAM GK Spade 3 figure (GK003), I removed the extended magazine tube, and added rifle sights. I also did away with the buttstock shell holder for a classic look.

Remington 870 Police Magnum Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Remington 870 Police Magnum Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Remington 870 Entrygun with top-folding stock

Relatively little was done to this piece. This shotgun came with the SS SDU Assault Team Leader figure (SS096). All that needed to be done to improve this piece was to add the ATI shell holder to the folding stock (sourced from one of the cheap 4D shotguns).

Remington 870 Entrygun Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Remington 870 Entrygun Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Remington 870 Marine Magnum

This is the third incarnation of this particular build. This build began as one of the silver pistol grip shotguns which came with the VTS Zombie Killer figure (VM008). I began by replacing the pistol grip with the full stock (sourced from one of the Dr Figures Beretta RX4 Storm rifles). For a while I was satisfied with how it looked, although every picture I have seen with the Marine Magnum shows it with an extended magazine tube. So the next step was to give her one. Finally, the ghost ring rear sight was added (cut from the same cheap 4D shotgun mentioned above). More details of the build can be seen HERE.

Remington 870 Marine Magnum Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Remington 870 Marine Magnum Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Marine Magnum WIP 2 (right side)

Marine Magnum WIP 1 (left side)

Remington 870 Breaching Shotgun

This was initially the pistol grip shotgun which came with the DAM DEVGRU Red Team VBSS figure (78013). The pistol grip was removed and replaced with a tactical collapsible stock, sourced from an old HT Mk14 Mod1 EBR. As with all weapons made by HT, the stock was way oversized, so I replaced it with a more appropriately scaled modstock from SS. The top rail was made from an M4 handguard to resemble a MESA Tactical Sureshell Carrier. She was then rounded out with a Larue handstop (from the Caltek Costa rifle), a Larue Irondot sight (SS) and a Surefire taclight (E&S - I think). More details of the build can be seen HERE.

Remington 870 Breaching Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Remington 870 Breaching Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Breaching Shottie WIP 3 (Sureshell carrier)

Breaching Shottie WIP 2 (stock attached)

Breaching Shottie WIP 1 (before assembly)

Remington 870 Mad Dog

Like the Marine Magnum shown above, this build has gone through a number of changes. I initially started with an Art Figures pistol grip shotgun, before shelving that idea and using a SS shotgun instead. The pictures below show some of the early work on AF piece. I removed the pistol grip and replaced it with the better looking Hogue grip (sourced from the breaching shotgun shown above), and gave it a vent rib along the barrel. At the same time, I was also building a KAC Masterkey (shown below), based on a SS M870. Not happy with the way that project was progressing, I switched these 2 projects around and used the AF shotgun for the Masterkey and the SS shotgun for this build (see below for more on the Masterkey). The pump handle was customised to resemble a TacStar foregrip (sourced from an old 21C shotgun). A fresh coat of paint and a sidesaddle shell holder rounds out this build. More details of the build can be seen HERE.

Remington 870 Mad Dog Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Remington 870 Mad Dog Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Mad Dog WIP 3 (pump handle; note that this is now utilising the SS base weapon)

Mad Dog WIP 2 (vent rib)

Mad Dog WIP 1 (pistol grip)

Remington 870 KAC Masterkey

As mentioned above, the life of this build was linked to the life of the Mad Dog build above. I had originally proposed to build the Masterkey around a metal SS shotgun, although this was eventually substituted for the AF shotgun that was used in this build. having already started to build the Mad Dog with the AF piece, I removed the pistol grip and vent rib that I had previously added. The barrel mount is from a SS M203, repurposed for this build. The rifle itself it something of a frankengun, but up to resemble a KAC SR16: the receiver and stock are from a SS Mk12; the barrel is from a DAM M4; the rail and mounting assembly are SS. More details of the build can be seen HERE.

KAC Masterkey

Masterkey WIP 1 (component pieces)

Remington 870 Tactical Shotgun (as seen in Medal of Honour 2010)

This build is technically not part of my collection. This was a commission build for a fellow OSW member back in early 2014. Originally an AF pistol grip shotgun, I removed the grip and replaced it with a high tube collapsible stock adaptor, modified from an M4 receiver and a lot of putty. The pump handle was heavily modified to incorporate rails (adapted from an M4 handguard), onto which I mounted a couple of rail covers, and a scratch-built Ergo Surestop. An upper rail was added, along with an Eotech and a sidesaddle shell holder. More details of the build can be seen HERE.

Tactical Shotgun Commission (right side)

Tactical Shotgun Commission (left side)

Tactical Shottie WIP 3

Tactical Shottie WIP 2

Tactical Shottie WIP 1

Remington 870 Tactical Railed Shotgun

Somewhat jealous of my client, I decided to build another tactical railed shotgun for myself. Construction of this piece essentially followed the same steps for my previous commission piece, albeit with a few small changes here and there. Notable differences include a short 1-shot extension to the mag tube to make it the same length as the barrel. this was achieved by removing the end cap, adding the extension and a barrel clamp to help hide the join. The rail on this build extends all the way to the end of the barrel. I have also added a set of Magpul MBUS sights, a taclight, and a stubby grip in place of the Surestop.

Remington 870 Tactical Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Tactical shottie WIP 4 (assembled)

Tactical shottie WIP 3 (stock and adaptor)

Tactical shottie WIP 2 (left side)

Tactical shottie WIP 1 (right side)

Remington 870 Tactical Pistol Grip Shotgun

Compared to the previous builds, relatively little customisation was carried out on this piece. This was a silver VTS Zombie Killer shotgun (same as that used in my marine magnum build shown above). Though I normally do not kitbash figures, that is exactly what this build was designed for - to be inserted into a holster on a covert operative's back). The only notable modifications made on this build is obviously the new paintjob, and the replacement of the standard grip with the Hogue Comfort Grip. The idea is that the grip will be visible peaking over the figure's right shoulder, ready to be drawn.

Remington 870 Pistol Grip Shotgun by Turkeyshot, on Flickr

Though I certainly have my fair share of 870s in my collection, this is not all of the shotties that I own. Not shown in these photos is a Serbu Super Shorty (from the DAM GK Diamond 2 figure: GK005) and another top-folder (from the HT Sarah Connor figure), although I did not have these with me at the time that I took all of these photos. I also have another full stock Remington 870 (from the DAM TOTS Pointman figure: 93007), for which I have plans to eventually customise as well - with a full set of Magpul MOE furniture; but more on that another day.

As always, your comments are welcomed. Cheers!
    Links:
    My Flickr Photostream: 1/6 | PMG
    Trade References

Re: Turkeyshot's custom guns: Remington Model 870 Shotgun Collection (PIC HEAVY)

These are absolutely beautiful! Nice, detailed work. But I am sure you will hear in more detail from those far more familiar with the modern firearms than I. And there's serendipity too -- just saw a Pierce Brosnan movie and was reminded of Remington Steele.

Re: Turkeyshot's custom guns: Remington Model 870 Shotgun Collection (PIC HEAVY)

Outstanding work, congratulations!

Amazing, just simply amazing. Each piece is its own work of art. A few of those I wish I had to place on my bashes. I just lack the resources and skill to make them myself. Very good work done here.
    Sometimes it takes a good fall to really know where you stand. - Hayley Williams

Victorville, CA. Yeh, the middle of no where.

Looking good Turkeyshot!!!!

Outstanding as usual Turkeyshot!
    fullmetal's Customs:fullmetals
    elfbait's Customs:elbait

Thanks to those of you who have left your feedback thus far. If you had to choose only one of the ten shotties shown above, which one would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    These are absolutely beautiful! Nice, detailed work. But I am sure you will hear in more detail from those far more familiar with the modern firearms than I. And there's serendipity too -- just saw a Pierce Brosnan movie and was reminded of Remington Steele.
    Thanks GubernatorFan!

Quote Originally Posted by Spettscollector View Post
    Outstanding work, congratulations!
    Thanks for the kind words Spettscollector!

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Soldier View Post
    Amazing, just simply amazing. Each piece is its own work of art. A few of those I wish I had to place on my bashes. I just lack the resources and skill to make them myself. Very good work done here.
    Thank you US! Glad that you like 'em, mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Broadshore View Post
    Looking good Turkeyshot!!!!
    Cheers Uswin! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Davinator65 View Post
    Outstanding as usual Turkeyshot!
    Thanks Dave! A few more and I might finally catch up to you and your amazing collection.
    Links:
    Trade References

All of them are awesome, incredibly detailed. The one the caught my eyes, my favorite one, is the Police Magnum, with the wooden painting. It's just... beautiful. Great work there. *kudos*

An outstanding collection. Thanks to Soldier Story and DAM, the veteran 870 has gotten a proper receiver and components, which earlier examples fell short of. Your assembly is the next best thing to owning all of them in 1:1.

My current obsession in the 870 family, is the TAC-14. The one issue I have, is that outlets are selling them withou hard fact details regarding the legalities, national, state and local. Remington seems downright mute on the issue.

You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Fabulous work!

Nice collection you have there, they look the real deal.
    Scratchbuilder/Customiser/Nam Outcast

Those are all awesome! I think I like the tactical ones the most.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinLobster View Post
    All of them are awesome, incredibly detailed. The one the caught my eyes, my favorite one, is the Police Magnum, with the wooden painting. It's just... beautiful. Great work there. *kudos*
    Thanks for the kind words FreakinLobster! Full disclosure: I can't take credit for the woodgrain on the Police Magnum. It comes like that.

Quote Originally Posted by fire03 View Post
    Thanks fire03!

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    An outstanding collection. Thanks to Soldier Story and DAM, the veteran 870 has gotten a proper receiver and components, which earlier examples fell short of. Your assembly is the next best thing to owning all of them in 1:1.

My current obsession in the 870 family, is the TAC-14. The one issue I have, is that outlets are selling them withou hard fact details regarding the legalities, national, state and local. Remington seems downright mute on the issue.
    Thanks for chiming in PD! My collection is a combination of Soldier Story, DAM, and Art Figures. Though it lacks the amazing detail of the SS and DAM versions, the AF piece is nice to work with when planning extensive modifications. As for the Tac-14, I can't say that I'm really feeling it, although I do plan to make an SAI custom with a full Magpul furniture package (the Magpul foregrip is shown on your pic of the Tac-14).

Quote Originally Posted by ActionMan View Post
    Fabulous work!
    Thanks ActionMan!

Quote Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
    Nice collection you have there, they look the real deal.
    Cheers Mike! I have always loved the badass look of the 870.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Those are all awesome! I think I like the tactical ones the most.
    Thank you Veritas! I don't really have a favourite ... I love 'em all! That said, I do have a soft spot for the breaching mod version, and I do like how the wood furniture on the Police Magnum makes it stand out from the crowd.
    Links:
    Trade References

Amazing tweaks/mods Turkeyshot !
    Thanks for sharing !

Wow, these are absolutely incredible. I'm amazed by how you're able to paint small pieces with accuracy. And I can't choose a favorite but would love to own those silver pistol grips (;Magnum Whip I & II). Any chance you'll be making more to sell?
    "Be sad! Be glad! Be neither! Seek, or shun!
    Thou hast no reason why! Thou canst have none;
    Thy being's being is a contradiction." S.T. Coleridge

Simply awesome work. Love 'em all.
    "Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum."
    -Flavius Vegetius Renatus-

Quote Originally Posted by apotheosis View Post
    Amazing tweaks/mods Turkeyshot !
    Thanks for sharing !
    Cheers apotheosis!

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsrcoll78 View Post
    Wow, these are absolutely incredible. I'm amazed by how you're able to paint small pieces with accuracy. And I can't choose a favorite but would love to own those silver pistol grips (;Magnum Whip I & II). Any chance you'll be making more to sell?
    Thanks Comicscroll! These are all part of my own collection. I am not taking any further commissions at this point, although I'll be sure to let you know if circumstances change in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Commando View Post
    Simply awesome work. Love 'em all.
    Thanks SC!
    Links:
    Trade References

niiice mods man! are any of these for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by blindtruth View Post
    niiice mods man! are any of these for sale?
    See post #18, 4th line.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -