Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: The Hobbit Greco-Roman Wraith From The Don Guldur Battle Last Bits Done New Pics

The Hobbit Greco-Roman Wraith From The Don Guldur Battle Last Bits Done New Pics

INSPIRED BY the statue below and stills, concept art from the film "The Hobbit: The Battle Of Five Armies" where The Nine Wraiths battle Saruman, Elrond and Galadriel over Gandalf's Elven ring of power. I will continue to build five of his fellow Wraith as they appeared in the film (the last three have no reference material available) and my own vision of Sauron in Wraith form at 18" tall.
    I can get this guy in great poses due to using an older body design that is not impeded by sculpted muscles or the way I have mounted his armour but I chose the pose that inspired the build that the statue has for these pictures. I may add wire to the cloak and will give his battle staff hand grips either from black cord or pleather and highlight the blade edges with silver.
    Thought I'd take pics now as I had him in the pose and the weather was perfect for shooting outdoors so you can see him in natural light. I also started this thread for him alone as my LOTR/Hobbit thread is currently 13 pages long and a bit of a maze to find specific finished figures but please feel free to have a look as there are seven other completed figures on it so far, it also explains how this and the others were all built with many more to come...

Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Wraith Staff Build & Finished

Inspired by this statue:

Last edited by shovelchop81; 07-18-2017 at 08:12.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Re: The Hobbit Grecoroman Wraith From The Don Guldur Battle

Wow! That is awesome. Excellent work on all the details.

Really top job there!

CHEERS!

Grecoroman? Is this in English and how does it feet into the Celtic world or Tolkien!?
    This is an evil puppet.
    I realise you deleted your question but thought it was a fair question and I'd answer it anyway as others may be thinking the same thing.

The Greco-Roman world, Greco-Roman culture, or the term Greco-Roman (/ˌɡrɛkoʊˈroʊmən/ or /ˌɡrɛkəˈroʊmən/; spelled Graeco-Roman in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth), when used as an adjective, as understood by modern scholars and writers, refers to those geographical regions and countries that culturally (and so historically) were directly, long-term, and intimately influenced by the language, culture, government and religion of the ancient Greeks and Romans (including the Byzantine and Western Roman Empires). In exact terms the area refers to the "Mediterranean world", the extensive tracts of land centered on the Mediterranean and Black Sea basins, the "swimming-pool and spa" of the Greeks and Romans, i.e. one wherein the cultural perceptions, ideas and sensitivities of these peoples were dominant.
    This is the concept and or fan/game art for this Wraith that I call Greco-Roman as they don't have names but have individual and distinct cultural influences in their designs, as for evil puppets that's exactly what they are controlled by Sauron.

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Re: The Hobbit Greco-Roman Wraith From The Don Guldur Battle

Well, I just thought you did call it Greco-Roman (I'm very well aware of the philology of the definition but it doesn't make much sense in English: why not Greek-Roman instead of borrowing it from Italian as for Lotta Greco Romana? ) just because you used many pieces coming from Ancient Greek and Roman figures. If not the definition has nothing to do with John Ronald Reuel Tolkien's world as his reference points are surely the Celtic Culture quite distant from Rome, Athens or Sparta.
    As for Weta interpretation it comes from such superb illustrators as Alan Lee and John Howe who had their references right with a mix of Eastern costumes and Armors: also here there are no hints to the Classical Greek or Roman Culture.

My goodness, you should have left my prev message deleted! but all this nitpicking and chickenshit aside, I appreciate your effort.

PS: as an after thought, I suggest you should look more closely to your reference pictures and try to better camouflage any form and line that may suggest it's coming from the Grecoromans...

PS: as an after thought, I suggest you should look more closely to your reference pictures and try to better camouflage any form and line that may suggest it's coming from the Grecoromans...
    The reference material on this Wraith just made me think of a Greek Hoplite or Roman Tribune hence the Greco-Roman name I adopted for him

just because you used many pieces coming from Ancient Greek and Roman figures.
    There are no Greek or Roman parts on this figure. The helmet base is from Frank Miller's 300 that is extremely stylised and not accurate at all but looks cool and suits this build. The rest of the armour is heavily modified ToyBiz Sauron armour from the 9" figure and various 1/12 WOW figures, Dr. Who, Castings from moulds I made for a Stargate Horus guard and French Medieval gauntlets. Perhaps you should check your references?

If not the definition has nothing to do with John Ronald Reuel Tolkien's world as his reference points are surely the Celtic Culture quite distant from Rome, Athens or Sparta.
    Well I read all the LOTR books and The Hobbit as a child so have grown up with Tolkien, I'm Irish and live in Wales so I am well aware of what is Celtic and what is not, I also grew up in Athens, visited Sparta and Rome many times so I am also very familiar their ancient cultures, in fact aside from living around it, the history of Ancient Greece and Rome were major parts of my schooling as a child and teenager.

As for Weta interpretation it comes from such superb illustrators as Alan Lee and John Howe who had their references right with a mix of Eastern costumes and Armors: also here there are no hints to the Classical Greek or Roman Culture.
    I would be fascinated to see your references to demonstrate this, aside from the obviously Easterling inspired Wraith, I only see Viking, Medieval European (knights and an executioner) and perhaps the horned one inspired by a minotaur as it was known to wield a heavy club. The rest just great design and imagination.
    Last edited by shovelchop81; 07-18-2017 at 08:34.

There's always one.......anyway moving on...

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker2011 View Post
    Wow! That is awesome. Excellent work on all the details.
    Thank you very much Stryker! Although the detail work was done by ToyBiz on this one as I nicked and modded their armour

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Really top job there!

CHEERS!
    Thanks as always for sticking through my lengthy builds to the end Roger! Loads more to come of course

Done those finishing touches I mentioned in the first post, the silver highlights on the blades, the corded grips and the wired cloak with a couple of different poses too.

Re: The Hobbit Greco-Roman Wraith From The Don Guldur Battle Last Bits Done New

This guy was worth it, keep up the good work!

CHEERS!

This guy was worth it, keep up the good work!

CHEERS!
    Thanks again Roger! The Wraith I like to call Minotaur and no he's not half bull is next on the list.
    Last edited by shovelchop81; 07-18-2017 at 23:16.

Sounds good!

CHEERS!

Screw that other guy, this is an amazing piece of ART! My hat's off to you!

Very impressive custom figure.
    "Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum."
    -Flavius Vegetius Renatus-

Sounds good!

CHEERS!
    Should be a fun build except for the spiked mail as I may have to make each piece by hand!

Quote Originally Posted by saberswift View Post
    Screw that other guy, this is an amazing piece of ART! My hat's off to you!
    Thank you so much saberswift! Means a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Commando View Post
    Very impressive custom figure.
    Thank you SC! I'm glad you appreciate him!

Wow! A masterpiece! Great work!
    Bernd

Quote Originally Posted by Karotte View Post
    Wow! A masterpiece! Great work!
    Thanks a lot Karotte!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Should be a fun build except for the spiked mail as I may have to make each piece by hand!
    Sounds like a challenge, but not beyond you.

CHEERS!

Sounds like a challenge, but not beyond you.

CHEERS!
    No it's just going to be repetitive! Luckily I have some card pattern bladed scissors that should speed things up! Not sure what they're called but they cut multiple crenelations with each drop of the blades.

Sounds handy.

Got a Vallejo paint stand earlier. Complete pain in the a$$ to put together, but great when I finally managed it. Filled it already too, you don't realise just how many paints you've got till you get them all together. Should get a chest of drawers tomorrow so I can finally put all the other crap somewhere, organised at last, LOL!

CHEERS!