Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Lost in Space Will Robinson review

Lost in Space Will Robinson review

Things have been a little quiet on the sixth scale front for me (still waiting on my Wonder Woman!), but Executive Replicas' new Lost in Space Will Robinson has hit, and I have my review up tonight. Let's just say I'm disappointed...

Review and photos of Lost in Space Will Robinson 1/6th action figure

You can also find the review as the usual:

Captain Toy, Michael Crawford's Action Figure and Toy Reviews

Remember, SDCC starts Wednesday, and to keep up with all my photo coverage you should follow me on Twitter or Facebook. Thanks!

Michael

Re: Lost in Space Will Robinson review

GOLLY!

I don't know which group of 1:6 figures I need to display Will with.

The male figures or the female figures.

I don't even know which facilities Will needs to use? The male or female facilities.

The painting and sculpt details/features makes Will look very effeminate.

This is beyond disappointment and I wonder if PHICEN/TBL purposedly produced Will this way as a possible FU to ER for whatever reasons?
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Nope, don't see young Bill Mumy there at all. Hardly worth the effort of production...
    -----------------------------------------
    "It's not how many times you get knocked down that counts,
    it's how many times you get back up."

Horrible likeness. Should have stayed with the Snyder sculpt.
    Any images of the base body used? ER was asked a few times but have yet to show it.
    "I have come here to kick a-s-s and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum"

Quote Originally Posted by ironman1188 View Post
    Horrible likeness. Should have stayed with the Snyder sculpt.
    Any images of the base body used? ER was asked a few times but have yet to show it.
    --

Maybe it'll be a 1:6 female juvenile body like how @$$MUS used a 1:6 male juvenile body for their upcoming X-23 Laura inspired figure/set?
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

You get the feeling these were produced by another company in the early 2000's and they've hung onto them since then. Didn't Amok Time/Majestic have this license!? This looks like the standard of figure that was being produced by them in those days. So not worth $180.

CHEERS!

I agree with all. We are in a time when head sculpts are very near to perfection. If you ask me this is below novice work. Sadly I need a will to go with the rest, and my robot. Still I cannot buy this junk.

SciFiMetropolis had the license. Now their "sister" company Executive Replicas has it. They teamed with overpriced companies Phicen and Go Hero and went with their sculptors.
    These figures were first released in 2008 and were listing at $49.99.
    These are NOT the figures fans deserve after such a long, debacled delay.
    "I have come here to kick a-s-s and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum"

$50 was about realistic for what you get.

CHEERS!

Where are the freckles? Very feminine in appearance and looks more like Penny Robinson.

They needed to avoid a drastic mismatch with the rest of the Robinson family, where the first Amok figures were much cheaper, and also, made with now outdated tooling. So they couldn't make him "too good." And boy, they sure didn't make him too good!
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

WELL . . .

I'm sure some 1:6 collectors will appreciate and respect the fact the figure can be utilized either way or in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    They needed to avoid a drastic mismatch with the rest of the Robinson family, where the first Amok figures were much cheaper, and also, made with now outdated tooling. So they couldn't make him "too good." And boy, they sure didn't make him too good!
    The originals weren't from Amok Time.

The originals weren't from Amok Time.
    I stand corrected and I blame Executive Replicas. If this Will Robinson was any good at all, I would have fished out my Maureen Robinson from the basement in anticipation of his arrival, and then I would have remembered, SciFi Metropolis not Amok. I was thinking of Amok because the SciFiM LiS figures were comparable quality, comparable pricing, and about the same time as Amok. That's not a negative comment by the way, both were good for what they cost and when they were made. But not $180 and not by 2017 standards!

I do respectfully disagree with you that Phicen is much overpriced, and also in guessing that ER went with Phicen sculptors. Current Phicen sculpts are better than Will's, though admittedly they are largely untested at doing celebrity sculpts. SciFi's Maureen Robinson sculpt from back then is actually considerably better than ER's Will sculpt! I was so looking forward to seeing Will Robinson meet QmX Kirk and Spock but it's not gonna work.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Quote Originally Posted by aluffarb View Post
    Where are the freckles? Very feminine in appearance and looks more like Penny Robinson.
    And the painted, individual eyelashes look absolutely ridiculous.

Should have stayed with the Snyder sculpt.
    What is the Snyder sculpt? Are there any photos?