One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Phicen female bodies stain removal?

34K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  Shadow7 
#1 ·
Is there any way to remove a clothing stain from a Phicen body? I had applied the clothing only briefly and it stained the legs a dark blue! Has anyone had any success restoring their figures once this has happened?

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
It sounds like the stain is pretty bad. I hope you have some luck getting it out. First thing I would do is wash the area with warm water and soap. I would use ordinary bar soap. Maybe someone knows of something better, but bar soap seems good at removing dye and wont harm the figure. The stains probably won't come out, but the soap should possibly remove some dye. You could try treating the area with Oxy 10. The ingredient benzoyl peroxide is supposed to work on stains. Never tried it, but several treatments is supposed to help.

As far as I know it should be left on for a while before rinsing. Maybe someone else knows for how long a time. If nothing seems to work or if the staining only gets a little better, in time the stains will lighten. Maybe even disappear. The material seems to absorb stains. This can take a long time. Like several weeks. So don't do anything drastic. The stains could disappear on their own in time. I had a small stain on a figure that disappeared after a couple weeks.

This is why it is important to wash dark clothes with soap and water before using. I don't use dark clothes until the water isn't colored from the clothes dye. If the dye continues to color the water I don't use the clothes at all.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

#3 ·
I've had to deal with staining more than once, so I devised a way that works for me.Benzoil peroxide as in acne cream and elmers school glue.It takes some time(a few days)of application between the two substances, depending on severity, but the end result has been stains removed and no damage to the figure.The glue has to fully dry then get peeled off.

#4 ·
Thanks for reminding me about Oxy 10. Been meaning to get some for ages but Boots and Superdrug don't seem to stock it now. I've found some on eBay and will stock up when I get chance.

Apply it, leave it overnight then scrub it with a toothbrush, it shouldn't harm the skin. Repeat as necessary.

CHEERS!

#5 ·
For the staining clothes, I wash it with clothes washing detergent and scrub it to get as much of the dye out (ie. if the 1/6 costume is safe to be scrubbed) then just soak and rinse several times. Then soak it in vinegar for 24 hours to stop the dye from staining (the vinegar seals the dye in). I use industral vinegar which is cheaper than natural vinegar. Dry the clothes fully. Then it should be okay for use without staining again.

#20 · (Edited)
I realise that a vinegar soak wash does not effectively fix the dye in the clothes. My latest purchase of a black leather outfit with black cloth backing, mildly stained my Jiaou Doll arms after leaving it on for 3 to 4 days. I am giving the figure the Oxy10 treatment currently.

After google searching, I discovered that the excess dye still bleeds out after a 24 hour vinegar soak and wash. The solution is to treat the staining material with a dye fixative, and this product, Retayne, came up in the search. I will have to check the supermarkets for similar products.

#13 ·
As has been said I think it depends on the stain, you may find it works better on some things than others. I used to use it to soften stubborn pain on heads and a lot of the time it worked. I think I used to use it after I'd stripped the head too to draw out any dried in stripper. It's been so long since I used it I can't fully remember what I did. I should get some in today's post so I can refresh my memory.

CHEERS!

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
An employer of mine once pointed out somethings about stain removal that I have remembered to this day.

A ( difficult to remove ) stain is generally not on the surface of an item, it is in the pores of it.
Removing the stain requires something that the staining material is soluable in, but not damaging to the base material.

These are often conflicting requirements, but almost everything is soluable in something.
Your best bet is to know what the stain is made of and plan accordingly. Always have plenty of "rinsing agent " that is non damaging to the base material on hand.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but I once removed black paint, that was DEEP in the grain, from a table my wife wanted to stain a light color. Sanding would have never worked, but I found a product ( honestly can't recall ) that really combined well with the paint, then rinsed it away, leaving bare wood..

Hope this is helpful to someone.

#16 ·
Oxy dries things up which will draw out what is staining the figure. A point to note about Oxy 10, it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Though I bought mine from a UK seller on eBay, when the package arrived yesterday, it had been sent from Singapore! Never mind, I don't mind where it comes from, so long as I get it and it does the job.

CHEERS!

#19 ·
I've found that the age of the stain also affects how long it takes the benzoyl peroxide to work. I thought my Medicom Snape was lost after being stored back in its box for months, but applying a little every couple of days did remove the stain completely after about three or four weeks (I could see the stain fade so I kept going). With the recent Picard head from QMx, which was a fresh stain, it took only a couple of days.

#22 ·
Hello, I'm new here - sorry to revive such an old thread but didn't feel like opening a new one for just a simple question: do any of you have experience with custom clothes on Phicen seamless bodies that did not end up staining the doll? Does it depend on the textiles used or is it the pigments that make the more substantial difference? I have to get some custom clothes sewn by a seamstress and I was wondering if you had any info/experience on the matter. Thank you very much!

#23 ·
Welcome to the board. My experience is different cloth textiles can react/stain Phicens quite differently. I stitched together a custom bottom (albeit a simple one) with no staining however it sits fairly loosely so as not to rub the figure too much. On a different figure, I purchased a vinyl-ish body suit w/ long arm gloves which completely stained the arms & a portion of the torso. I'm not aware of a simple solution to avoid staining other than to read up on reviews/info about any clothing sets/pieces you might buy. As for custom textiles, it's basically trial & error. One thing I will say, tightness of the textile to the figure can definitely contribute to staining.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good question. Like dragonrider said, there is no hard and fast rule. Different surfaces and makes may or may not stain. A frequent culprit is pleather (like black "leather" outfits) -- this tends to stain more often than not, and sometimes viciously so. Generally speaking, black, dark blue, and dark red tend to be more likely to cause a stain. Cloth with a light-colored lining or printed only on the outside (like Barbie outfits) tends to be safe. I recall many Triad Toys outfits staining figures, and I have seen some of this with QMX and ZC World, but don't imagine these are the only ones. Clothes by TBLeague (formerly Phicen) are usually pretty good at not staining (perhaps because they are designed for seamless bodies). I have noticed that pieces of plastic placed around the body in such a way as to prevent staining sometimes fail to do so, as the stain finds a way through or around them (never quite figured out how). If you want to be safe, use lighter-colored clothing where you can, or under darker colors.

One more thing: with TBLeague/Phicen bodies, stains often disappear, perhaps absorbed into the rubbery flesh. Theoretically, washing with soap, treating with benzoyl peroxide, and reapplying the protective powder later ought to help; when I tried that on a Jiaou body (admittedly made from a different material), it seems to have backfired. More details here: staining - Staining and Cleaning (continuously updated)

#25 ·
Thank you both for the suggestions :) I understand there is no easy way around it, I'll have to ask the seamstress to do trial and errors with the costumes, I'd better be prepared to spend more than I first expected on them, lol. I will look up some TBLeague clothes, maybe I'll find something that already suits my needs. Thanks again :)

#26 ·
Modern Phicens are similar to the silicone they use in some professional movie makeup, it rejects paint and staining pretty well and can easily be washed off with alcohol or silicone cleaner products. I recently had to paint a phicen and the paint kept coming off, I tried dyes, arcylics, oils etc. Eventually I was able to get it to mostly stick with water colors mixed with a duluted silicone glue(and I'm still handling carefully afraid the color will come off).

For professional work they have to use silicone paint when painting on silicone(I was being cheap so tried other methods)

But anyway silicone cleaners will remove paint and staining fast.

I've also found temporary medical adhesive removers work well in removing paint and stains.
I had some wipes left over from when I helped a friend with their prosthetic face makeup for a comic convention(mistook them for alcohol wipes). I also found out that the adhesive sprays when applied lightly is good for keeping clothing in the position you want. Spray it on a q tip and run it over the area you want sticky. Wait a minute or two and put on or adjust the outfit on the figure. (okay mostly I've been using it on the female figures chests so I can make the outfits look tighter around the chest)

#30 ·
Depends on how bad the stain is and how long the figure has been subjected to the staining material. The last time I had mine coated with Oxy10 and wrapped in plastic wrap with it, as mentioned above, was 3 to 4 days I think.

I have now this recent stain issue with Tifa Lockhart's pleather sleeves and skirt frm JXToys in just 2 weeks. The underside was pre-wrapped with plastic wrap, but not to exact measure at the edges, and so you can see the staining bleeding off there on the thigh and arms. Only other way is to glue the plastic wrap as an internal layer to the clothing edges.

#34 ·
Just to follow up...after 3 weeks and 2 separate Oxy10 treatments, spaced between a week, the stains were faint but not completely gone.

I didn't wait any longer, and glued the edges of all the black pleather items with plastic wrap, trimming the edges of the wrap accordingly. The glue to use should be any rubbery shoe glue type, but I ran out of that, and simply used UHU glue, which really isn't appropriate because it hardens. Any way, it works for now for the stain shielding job, as shown.

I did the same for the pleather sleeves. The body under these outfit pieces are of course wrapped in plastic wrap.

After a month, the stain is pretty much gone now.

Subsequently, all these others, ie. Yuna and Yuffie, have the same stain protection treatment to the black clothing pieces, plus body wrapping under them respectively. Tiffa's new stockings and black tank-top were socked in Dylon S.O.S Colour run for an 1 hour prior to use. This fabric stain remover works really well...much better and faster than vinegar!

#35 ·
So, quite upset today. My Phicen had worn some pleather clothing for a total of 30 minutes. When I took off the clothes, I saw the attached image. I did think to wrap the arms in in cling film, which saved the arms, and the clothing was treated with a dye fixer for 24 hours, and then put in a washing solution for 24 hours, then rinsed and dried on paper towels. I didn't see any stain left of the paper towels so thought I was ok. As the legs were in black tights, I was surprised to see this. I have cleaned it a bit, with just a water solution (no soap). Now I am keeping my fingers crossed that the dye will disappear on its own. I do have some Oxy10 that was ordered recently. Hoping I don't need to use the Oxy10. But seeing how bad the staining is, I will be surprised if I don't. Warning the image has not been made SFW.
Shoe Table Automotive design Toy Thigh